The Temple And Symbols

MorningStar

One of the Sisters from my old Branch and I went to the Portland Temple for Stake Temple Day. Turned out we were a week early :lol:. Because we were both experiencing terrific bouts of hot flashes we decided to just do Initiatory's that day.

I lost track of Real Time by the time I had finished with the 2nd set of Sisters - Each set made their presence known more and more. Finally, I had to sit out for a spell because the emotions that were surging through me was nearly more than I could bear. The Temple Matron sat with me and asked if I could go on, or did I want to hand the names of the 5 Sisters over to someone else?

It wasn't my voice that answered her- it felt like a combination of all 5 Sisters telling her that I would go on. I asked that I be alone for just a few more minutes. Then I calmly and in my mind, told the Sisters whose names I had in front of me, that they really needed to hold back their joy- let me finish and then I would be thrilled to join in with their celebration. I need help from them to finish- that this was for them.

Each one was there with me - each one held back their emotions enough for me to finish the work. After the last Sister's work was done - the Temple Matron led me into a room, and there I rested. There I rejoiced with all 25 Sisters whose names I had gone through with. I know that they were each with me. That each and every one of them accepted the work.

The Matron told me that I was not the only one who felt those Sister's presence's - that the Workers felt it and were wonderfully affected by it.

There has never been a time when I have gone to the Temple, where I didn't feel either the presence of the Sister I am doing the proxy work for, or the Spirit of the Holy Ghost so strongly with-in me.

Okay, some of the things I've noticed at the Oakland Temple:

Outside the temple:

On the spires: Gold unfinished pyramids with rays beaming out of the top, the top spire reaching toward the Heavens like an antenna. (They glow real bright at night.)

Going down the spires is a vine design, may be stalks of grain

In between the spires (under "Holiness to the Lord") is a Last Supper mural carved in concrete, Jesus' arm is raised to the square in the mural.

In the garden is a plaque that quotes 3 Nephi when Jesus blesses the children and I think it has a small mural devoted to that.

Make sure you take the steps to the roof of the temple to see the rose garden. You can get a good view of the murals, gardens, the bay, and San Francisco from up there, it is really breathtaking.

The fences in the parking lot have the square and compass on each panel.

The Interstake Center windows have the hexagram. (I believe this symbol was used in early Christianity.)

The water flows away from the temple from a fountain through a creek with bridges over it leading to the interstake center, as someone mentioned with another temples fountains, maybe symbolic of the blessings of the temple and eternal life flowing from the temple.

Inside the temple:

Both sides of the gold door in the lobby have the grain stalk design, may symbolize "Bread of Life" as already mentioned.

The chapels and baptistry have an oriental logo on the pillars that glows with the lighting, probably to fit the oriental theme of the temple. I'm sure it spells out a word but I'm not sure what or which oriental language it is.

The baptistry, celestial, and ordinance room 1&2 both have a logo I'm not familiar with, but looks like an E with no line in the middle. It is tilted sideways in the ordinance rooms and is pointing downward in the baptistry and celestial room.

Ordinance room 3 (doubles as an "overflow" endowment room and a sealing room, is very small and is hardly ever used, except when the other rooms are full) has the swastika/four winds symbol all along the ceiling (not the one used by the Nazis, but the Indian embroidery style design like on a Mesoamerican temple) and has a mirror on each wall that bounces the reflection back infinitely, symbolizing eternity. Its the only room used for endowments that I've seen that has the mirrors, they are usually in sealing rooms only.

If you have a temple recommend I highly recommend going and spending the whole day at this temple and taking in the atmosphere. It is very beautiful and peaceful and I think you can learn a lot through the symbolism. It has definitely strengthened my faith in Jesus Christ.

I was a youth when the Seattle temple was built, so we went to Oakland for my first couple temple trips. I remember particularly one year when we sat on the lawn after doing baptisms and had a testimony meeting. It was one of the most spiritual events I have ever attended. The grounds there are very beautiful. I particularly remember the mural.

I received my endowment in the Oakland temple in 1994. I felt the power of those covenants help carry me thru a mission. I returned to the Oakland temple about seven years later and proposed to my wife on top of the terrace. It is one of the few temples that you can walk around the top on the outside.

I was a youth when the Seattle temple was built, so we went to Oakland for my first couple temple trips. I remember particularly one year when we sat on the lawn after doing baptisms and had a testimony meeting. It was one of the most spiritual events I have ever attended. The grounds there are very beautiful. I particularly remember the mural.

I remember walking through the open house when I was 4, wondering why I had to put slippers over my shoes. :) I have always been lucky to be pretty close to a temple. If we had a wonderful job opportunity somewhere far away from a temple, I don't know if I could move there.

I received my endowment in the Oakland temple in 1994. I felt the power of those covenants help carry me thru a mission. I returned to the Oakland temple about seven years later and proposed to my wife on top of the terrace. It is one of the few temples that you can walk around the top on the outside.

Today during our lesson, our teacher told us that her husband proposed to her in the Celestial Room. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone --

I think i might have lost my previous effort to post this, so i'll try again -- If it turns out to be a duplicate, please forgive!

Here are some great resources on Temple Symbols and Symbolism:

a) Allen H. Barber. Celestial Symbols: Symbolism in Doctrine, Religious Traditions and Temple Architecture, Bountiful: Horizon, 1990, ISBN 0-88290-344-6

B) Paul Thomas Smith & Matthew B. Brown. Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on the Early Temples of the Restoration, American Fork: Covenant, 1997, ISBN 1-57734-134-1

Also, see the following great ONLINE RESOURCES:

a) www.ldschurchtemples.com/saltlake/

B) Article by Kerry Shirts, on the Pentagram on The Salt Lake Temple:

http://www2.ida.net/graphics/shirtail/pentagra.htm

c) Article by Jeff Lindsay on Masonic Symbols on the Temple:

www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_masons.shtml

Enjoy!

~Gaia

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this year, we had our stake temple night and at the devotional, the temple president suggested we take our time when we attend rather than rush there. He said to enjoy the symbols of Christ that are everywhere here at the Seattle Temple. The gates aren't just pretty - the design includes wheat grains, symbolizing how Christ is the bread of life. The fountain out front symbolizes how He is the living water and that the temple is a place of healing (he mentioned the scripture in Ezekiel where water flows from the temple and heals everything).

What are some other symbols you've noticed on the temple grounds that point to Christ? Please share your thoughts and any scriptures that come to mind.

:)

MorningStar

I've only been to the Seattle temple, and I must confess I have not payed much attention to symbols on the actual building and grounds. I do remember seeing a painting in the temple in the back of the entrance, and I could only get a second glance at it, because I was obviously not allowed back there (lol, being only a youth and all), even though it was a second, it looked amazing. Does anyone know what painting I'm talking about?, it was next to a case with one of the first 500 Book of Mormons published. Would love to know what it was called and who painted it.

Anyway, all the temples from what I hear have a lot of symbolism to Christ, and doctrinal principles, same thing goes with ordinances, as human beings we love symbolism, it was also used by Jesus Christ for us to better understand many teachings and ideas.

I've only been to the Seattle temple, and I must confess I have not payed much attention to symbols on the actual building and grounds. I do remember seeing a painting in the temple in the back of the entrance, and I could only get a second glance at it, because I was obviously not allowed back there (lol, being only a youth and all), even though it was a second, it looked amazing. Does anyone know what painting I'm talking about?, it was next to a case with one of the first 500 Book of Mormons published. Would love to know what it was called and who painted it.

Anyway, all the temples from what I hear have a lot of symbolism to Christ, and doctrinal principles, same thing goes with ordinances, as human beings we love symbolism, it was also used by Jesus Christ for us to better understand many teachings and ideas.

Next time I go there, I'll look for it and let you know. I will probably go next week. :)

Next time I go there, I'll look for it and let you know. I will probably go next week. :)

Lost in much of the shuffle of things are the ancient symbols of the temple of Israel and its predecessor, the Tabernacle. The symbols I reference for this post are the cherubim. As with so many symbols associated with temples – I will suggest that this symbol also references one that is “anointed” or messiah and not a reference to a level or order of angels. Also that in Genesis the symbol of cherubim is used to reference the one to “keep” the way to the “tree of life” or to leave the “fallen state” to return to heaven.

But the symbol of cherubim always comes in pairs. The King James Version of the Bible at one point is translated as “And the two shall face each other”. A literal translation of the ancient Hebrew can be rendered to be “And the two brothers shall face each other”. On this point I will leave with one last thought; in all symbols referenced in scripture where two brothers dispute over a birth right – it is given to the younger and more righteous of the two.

The Traveler

Earlier this year, we had our stake temple night and at the devotional, the temple president suggested we take our time when we attend rather than rush there. He said to enjoy the symbols of Christ that are everywhere here at the Seattle Temple. The gates aren't just pretty - the design includes wheat grains, symbolizing how Christ is the bread of life. The fountain out front symbolizes how He is the living water and that the temple is a place of healing (he mentioned the scripture in Ezekiel where water flows from the temple and heals everything).

What are some other symbols you've noticed on the temple grounds that point to Christ? Please share your thoughts and any scriptures that come to mind.

:)

MorningStar

The five pointed star has traditionaly been a symbol of the Christ and his five wounds. Most temples (if not all) have the five pointed star on or in them.

That is rather peculiar considering Christ has 7 wounds.

That depends on who you ask :) I've wondered about that too. I guess it depends if you consider the nail in his hands and wrists as two instead of four. Either way, the 5 wound idea is not uncommon in the church. I just read it somewhere in one of Maxwell's books... hmmm. Don't ask me for the reference, I'll never find it.

You guys know that the statue of Moroni faces west on the temple in Hawaii right? I've always wondered why...

Laie has no Moroni, so you're talking about Kona. You know it COULD be that because it's so far off in the ocean that it would make sense for it face west because Jerusalem is closer that route.

Laie has no Moroni, so you're talking about Kona. You know it COULD be that because it's so far off in the ocean that it would make sense for it face west because Jerusalem is closer that route.

Sometimes the angel just faces the direction that is most aesthetically pleasing. For example, the spire is on the west side of the Nauvoo temple. Moroni faces west as well. He would look funny facing east because he'd be backwards.

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone --

I think i might have lost my previous effort to post this, so i'll try again -- If it turns out to be a duplicate, please forgive!

Here are some great resources on Temple Symbols and Symbolism:

a) Allen H. Barber. Celestial Symbols: Symbolism in Doctrine, Religious Traditions and Temple Architecture, Bountiful: Horizon, 1990, ISBN 0-88290-344-6

B) Paul Thomas Smith & Matthew B. Brown. Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on the Early Temples of the Restoration, American Fork: Covenant, 1997, ISBN 1-57734-134-1

Also, see the following great ONLINE RESOURCES:

a) Salt Lake LDS (Mormon) Temple

B) Article by Kerry Shirts, on the Pentagram on The Salt Lake Temple:

Pentagram: Satanic Symbol on Salt Lake Temple?

c) Article by Jeff Lindsay on Masonic Symbols on the Temple:

The Mormon Temple Ceremony and Mormon Temples: Temples, Mormons and Masons - The Authentic Ancient Nature of the LDS Temple

Enjoy!

~Gaia

I am glad someone is providing outside links on this very subject. I commend you on this worthy posting.

Another resource is Professor Hugh B. Nibley.

• 15 years later...

I have been considering this topic since last summer when my family and I took a road trip from Colorado to Florida. Along the way, we stopped at as many temples as possible and took our girls around the grounds and into the lobbies if they were open.

The Las Vegas temple was in my mission, and a symbol I always remember seeing represented there a lot was a square with a circle in it. I have heard that this symbol can represent the union of man's relationship with God. On my mission, I thought about the tools you would use to draw a perfect square and a circle, a compass and a square, and that the symbol to me represented the fulfillment of covenants when we act and live up to promises.

Recently in discussing the scriptures with my family, we talked about Revelation 12 and the connections between the woman in that chapter and the symbolism of the column on the Nauvoo temple depicting the mood, sun, and stars.

The Salt Lake City temple could almost double as an astrology dome for all the astrological-based symbolism it has.

You also have the thousands of eight-pointed stars all over the San Diego temple, which Elder Haight said was simply a designer's aesthetic choice but has helped spark a whole (false, IMO) belief in it representing the Seal of Melchizedek.

Given the topic, are there other good resources that examine more symbolism in the architecture, designs, and decorative choices of temples?

2 hours ago, rcthompson88 said:

I have been considering this topic since last summer when my family and I took a road trip from Colorado to Florida.

My wife and I look for temples on road trips too! I’m sort of a geek and send pics to my friends when I see them. 

Edited by LDSGator