Temple And Cosmos

MorningStar

I've seen quite a few people recommend this book to learn more about the temple. My brother actually gave it to me as a wedding gift 11 years ago and I still haven't read it. I started to, but I was too distracted at the time to really get into it. Are there any chapters in particular you would recommend?

Thanks,

MorningStar

I've seen quite a few people recommend this book to learn more about the temple. My brother actually gave it to me as a wedding gift 11 years ago and I still haven't read it. I started to, but I was too distracted at the time to really get into it. Are there any chapters in particular you would recommend?

Thanks,

MorningStar

His entire collected works are excellent...World and the Prophets is the best...Mormonism and Early Christianity is a close second...especially the chapter on the Early Christian prayer circle...Ahhh, what am I saying...they are all excellent...

Thanks,

MorningStar

I would highly recommend the book. I would also say, if you have not encountered Hugh Nibley before, that you will need to know that he is "crazy"! LOL But brilliant:-) Soooo, you must read him slooooowly so that you may understand him from beginning to end, else he will lose you and you will find yourself re-reading. Mark my words.

He is easier to read than to listen to for sure, but surely worth your time and effort. He has incredible insight for those willing to forge ahead. His books are compilations of his many papers and lectures he has given. Therefore, you can read portions at a time. But take your time with this book and don't rush it just to get through it. Too much info. With Temples and Cosmos DO begin at the beginning. Make sure you are attending the temple often and much will open unto you in the process, IF you ASK.

Have great fun! I love that book. ;)

tdmg,

gVr

His entire collected works are excellent...World and the Prophets is the best...Mormonism and Early Christianity is a close second...especially the chapter on the Early Christian prayer circle...Ahhh, what am I saying...they are all excellent...

Issac,

I take note that you quote Nibley in your post. Obviously you "love" him. :wub: I hope I did not offend you when I described him as "crazy"? :wacko:

I take it you probably know exactly what I mean...

I also wanted to comment on your avatar. I LOVE IT! A TREE OF LIFE I presume. (great sketch... would love a copy) And is Isacc your given name or is it an alias? Just curious. And now, do you mind if I ask WHY you chose this combination AND the quote to go along, IF it does? It is very interesting.

tdmg,

gVr

...oh and by the way, I am reading his works and agree with you thus far. He truly IS/WAS quite a character! (prayer circle is enlightening and affirming for lds)

Thanks, everyone! :D I read the note my brother put in it and he said it's difficult reading, but to read it like it's one article at a time. I placed it strategically in my bathroom. I'm not actually a bathroom reader, but I can go in there and pretend so maybe I will have a chance of being left alone. :)

I would love to discuss the book. What are your "lightbulb moments"?

Thanks, everyone! :D I read the note my brother put in it and he said it's difficult reading, but to read it like it's one article at a time. I placed it strategically in my bathroom. I'm not actually a bathroom reader, but I can go in there and pretend so maybe I will have a chance of being left alone. :)

I would love to discuss the book. What are your "lightbulb moments"?

Okay, MorningStar...

As you are reading and hit upon something that you want to discuss, just "light" up this thread and I will keep an eye out for you. Then we can chat about it.

Also I have email notification on this thread as well. It has been a while since I read the book, but there were a lot of very enlightening insights in the book.

I am sure others felt the same way. (Isacc for sure) As well we have all read other books on temples, symbols, etc... so we could have some fun here discussing together.

So it sounds like we are all in sync with the advice your big brother gave you. Does that make us somewhat credible now? LOL :P

But don't stay in the bathroom too long, you may come out to complete disaster! :o

tdmg,

gVr

Okay, MorningStar...

As you are reading and hit upon something that you want to discuss, just "light" up this thread and I will keep an eye out for you. Then we can chat about it.

Also I have email notification on this thread as well. It has been a while since I read the book, but there were a lot of very enlightening insights in the book.

I am sure others felt the same way. (Isacc for sure) As well we have all read other books on temples, symbols, etc... so we could have some fun here discussing together.

So it sounds like we are all in sync with the advice your big brother gave you. Does that make us somewhat credible now? LOL :P

But don't stay in the bathroom too long, you may come out to complete disaster! :o

tdmg,

gVr

:lol: I'll make sure my long trips to the bathroom happen when my husband is home. :D I'll let you know when I find the first exciting tidbit in the book. I almost said, "In there", but I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't talking about the bathroom. :P

P.S. Can I call you "Giver"? :D

Issac,

I take note that you quote Nibley in your post. Obviously you "love" him. :wub: I hope I did not offend you when I described him as "crazy"? :wacko:

No I was quite delighted by your comments believe me...I know he is crazy, or we might say scatter brained...especially in a lecture format...Here is the mystery that is Hugh Nibley: He often makes his entire point in the very last few words of his paper or lecture...kinda like building a temple, only to reveal it is a Mormon one when the Golden Moroni is placed on top...so you have to stick with him till he makes his point...haha

The reason I often recomend World and The Prophets is because it was a series of radio lectures (now also in book form as part of his collected works) that had time constraints and he had to write everything out first and read it...in other words he had to get to the point...Great intro to Nibley...Order that lecture series from FARMS on disc and you will love it...Hugh Nibley has done more to frame my way of thinking than any other living person I dare say...So yes, I greatly admire him and wish I had known him...I first encountered his books on my mission and have loved him ever since...I just finished reading his memoirs about his experinences in World War II written by his son, and my admiration has grown even more...The church was blessed to have him and I am sure most LDS scholars would credit him with laying the foundation for much of their work which was to follow...[\b]

I take it you probably know exactly what I mean...

I also wanted to comment on your avatar. I LOVE IT! A TREE OF LIFE I presume. (great sketch... would love a copy) And is Isacc your given name or is it an alias? Just curious. And now, do you mind if I ask WHY you chose this combination AND the quote to go along, IF it does? It is very interesting.

Actually the Avatar is meant to be an unpruned Olive tree, and I drew it 3 years ago with a Bic pen...The original was 12x18 (or maybe a bit bigger) and this is only a scanned copy...it looks good small, but the scan when enlarged is chopped off...no longer have the original...I drew it at an interesting time in my life as I was very innactive and in a very destructive time in my life...I literally scribbled it as hard and fast as I could for about 3 hours after a particularly hard day...It was therapy, and very representative of where I was and where we are as human beings...an untamed Olive Tree waiting to be pruned by our Master...

Isaac is my given name and you may know from the biblical story in the Bible, that it means "laughter"...I laugh alot and like to make others laugh, so either the name fit me, or I fit the name...haha...

The quote is among my favorites of Hugh Nibley...It is actually from the first paragraph on page one of "The World and the Prophets"...The reason I like it, is perhaps for the same reason that Hugh Nibley wrote it, and that is to point out that we really are not all that smart when it comes to the questions of life...The Greeks who explored every avenue of human reason could only conclude that "...the wisdom of man is as nothing..." when compared to heavenly things...I think it is a theme I try to stick to on the forums and it is something I try to remember...we really are not much better than the Greeks, which is to say, we are really just plain ignorant, if not for the fact that we have the Spirit of God to enlighten us...:)

tdmg,

gVr

What is GVR? I think I have seen you on the other boards also, or maybe just the avatar???

...oh and by the way, I am reading his works and agree with you thus far. He truly IS/WAS quite a character! (prayer circle is enlightening and affirming for lds)

Any discussion of Nibley is most welcome...haha

Is anyone here besides me amazed at the sheer volume of this man's work? I only have three of his books.. Temple and Cosmos, Tinkling Cymballs and Sounding Brass, and one large volume covering the Joseph Smith Papyri...

One of the things that struck me was Figure 28 on page 115 of Temple and Cosmos... I loved the whole section on Temples and am just now getting into Cosmos... I have such a deeper, richer view of the symbolism of the endowment...

The Garden Girl

Is anyone here besides me amazed at the sheer volume of this man's work? I only have three of his books.. Temple and Cosmos, Tinkling Cymballs and Sounding Brass, and one large volume covering the Joseph Smith Papyri...

One of the things that struck me was Figure 28 on page 115 of Temple and Cosmos... I loved the whole section on Temples and am just now getting into Cosmos... I have such a deeper, richer view of the symbolism of the endowment...

The Garden Girl

A friend of mine seemed to have every Nibley book and I was amazed. I had no idea he'd written that many. OK, I am going to hide in the bathroom after dinner and read the first chapter. Oh yes, I am.

I read the first chapter yesterday! It was hard to concentrate because I wasn't feeling well, but I battled through the very scientific talk towards the beginning regarding atoms and neutrons and hadrons and whatever else he was talking about (:P) and then it was an easier read from there. I never was very interested in science and then I had to laugh when he mentioned how we're good at what we're interested in. :lol:

I really appreciated the part that expressed how I feel in more complicated terms. It was cool to read about laws that show the possibilities of life being formed and maintained as the universe is full of chaos. Life being created by chance is even less likely than shuffling a deck of cards and having them all land in order according to this book. I'll have to pull some quotes tomorrow regarding these scientific reasons why life was designed and matter controlled by something. :)

I was also fascinated by the part that talks about how important thought/concentration is. He said that when the Nephites had such a long period of peace, it was because they concentrated hard on keeping covenants, fasting, repenting, etc., but then it all fell apart because people got tired. It's natural behavior for people to want to take the easy route - then crime and sin returns. It said that using the mind was considered to be very powerful in ancient Egypt and discussed the parallels between ancient temples and our temple today. He said that the prayer in the temple is so effective because of the increased concentration from those participating. I'll have to pull the book out tomorrow and post the highlights that I liked so much. It's pretty deep, but I think I'll be able to wade through the whole book.

I'm off to make dinner. Have a great evening! :)

I think there should be a "Hugh Nibley For Dummies" set. :D

Actually, there is. Deseret Book publishes an excellent book called "Hidden Treasures of Knowledge" by Stephen Morgan. The book is actually all of Hugh Nibley's research simplified for the layman with the highlights and best points compiled into one volume. You might want to check it out. If you don't want to buy all the volumes of his books for $30 each or whatever this can be a good way to get a snapshot of Nibley's research. Just before Apostle Neil Maxwell died he said that he did not want to die without getting Nibley's research into the hands of the layman in simplified format, so he comissioned Stephen Morgan to write "Hidden Treasures of Knowledge."

Actually, there is. Deseret Book publishes an excellent book called "Hidden Treasures of Knowledge" by Stephen Morgan. The book is actually all of Hugh Nibley's research simplified for the layman with the highlights and best points compiled into one volume. You might want to check it out. If you don't want to buy all the volumes of his books for $30 each or whatever this can be a good way to get a snapshot of Nibley's research. Just before Apostle Neil Maxwell died he said that he did not want to die without getting Nibley's research into the hands of the layman in simplified format, so he comissioned Stephen Morgan to write "Hidden Treasures of Knowledge."

You are the best! :D Thanks for the info. I'm going to go add that to my Christmas list.

You are the best! :D Thanks for the info. I'm going to go add that to my Christmas list.

I have all of his books with the exception of his last two published in his collected works...many of them may be found online used, so you don't have to pay the usual $30 or so for a new one...

I have not seen the condensed volume that the other poster mentioned but I don't see how you could put 17 volumes into one and still have it be substantive...I still recommend "World and the Prophets" and "Mormonism and Early Christianity" as good volumes to start with for someone who has not read Nibley...If you have read a lot of Anti, then "Tinkling Symbols and SOunding Brass" is quite ammusing...