Converting To Lds In The Bible Belt Is Scary Business.

imported_Ariel

Hi, I'm 17 and I'm a senior in High School. I live in the Bible Belt, and was born and raised as a Southern Baptist. My entire family from generations back are all hardcore Baptists. I go to a very large school, with a wide variety of people. In math class, I met one of the best people I've ever known (we'll call him "Edward"). There was just something about him that I couldn't place that made him seem happier, more genuine, and more joyful than anyone else I know. One day he was at school reading the Book of Mormon. It was surprising to me because it was the first time I'd even SEEN one, and I was a little disappointed that he wasn't a Christian like me; however, this didn't stop me from wanting to get to know him better. Throughout the course of this semester, we've grown really close. We went to homecoming together, we went trick-or-treating together, we talk on the phone all the time. We're really good friends, only we have a bond that runs a little deeper than friendship. One day he came to school and he asked, "What's the purpose of life?"

I was a little shocked by his question, because I thought the answer was obvious. What I didn't know was that he meant to make us think. A boy (we'll call him "Joe") in the back of the room who, bless him, was quite a nerd, but a very devout Christian answered "to serve God, and worship Him for all eternity."

"Edward" responded, "Really? That's the purpose of life?"

We nodded, and he made displeasured face. At the time, I was thinking, What else would be the purpose of life?

He then went on to tell us that he wouldn't want to believe in a god like that. I was shocked by him saying that because I have always been taught that was my sole purpose. Upon seeing our shocked faces, he looked unapologetic and went on to say, "Let me get this straight. You believe God made us for his own entertainment, and all we're going to be doing in heaven is singing praises to Him for all eternity?"

Again, we nodded. He shook his head. "I could never be a part of your religion," he told us.

At this point, I was dumbfounded. Never had anyone talked to us like that about our religion except atheists. If he had been talking to any other group of people around this area, he might have been cursed out. But as it was, we all liked him very much.

A girl in front of me looked at "Edward" and asked him what he believed the purpose of life was.

He responded by saying, "I believe the purpose of life is a test, to be more like our Heavenly Father, so that one day, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we will be able to join Him in Heaven."

And by this point, our eyebrows were quizzical. Wasn't that what we believed too? The answer came in the next thing he said. "We believe that our Heavenly Father made us because he wanted something to love. He sent us here to grow more like him so that one day we could join him in heaven."

He wasn't giving away a lot of information about his beliefs all at once. He was trying to get us thinking, and I was the only one who didn't reject what he was saying, but tried to figure it out. It was a hard concept for me to grasp, but I was trying to work out what the difference between what he was saying, and my own beliefs was. The main difference I grasped was that Christians believe that God created man so He would have something to love/worship him. LDS believe that God created man so that He would have something to love.

Christians around this area reject anything that makes them uncomfortable. Anything that isn't what they've grown up being taught their entire lives is ludacris to them. Well, I've always believed that when something makes you feel uncomfortable, that is when it is the most important time to listen. You never know when it's really you being called to something else.

I went home that very afternoon and cried for hours. I couldn't believe that my God would create me as His puppet and entertainment! Wasn't His love supposed to be the greatest and strongest of all? I couldn't see how an all-loving being could create humans as weak creatures, suffering temptation and pain and still expect nothing more from them but for them to worship Him for all eternity or suffer hellfire for all eternity. It had been something that had never disturbed me until "Edward" pointed it out. I cried, prayed, read the Bible for hours and only when it was supper-time did I stop. After eating, I went back to praying and reading, just asking God for the answers, but not getting the ones I needed. Finally, I felt something I'd never felt before. It was as if He promised me that I would find the answers, and that I would not be disappointed. After that, I felt completely relieved. I trusted Him.

Eventually "Edward" confessed to me that he really liked me and that he hoped that we could be more than friends sometime. So we started talking all the time. We never became "official" but close enough to where he was the best boyfriend I've ever had even though we WEREN'T official. Throughout this period of time, I asked him so many questions relating to his religion, disguising it as pure curiosity. The truth was, I knew the Lord was pointing towards him as a source of spiritual truth. I went to church with him one day and he gave me a Book of Mormon, and in my head I thought, "This is all I need, and maybe I'll find the truth."

Well, in the meantime, while I was searching for spiritual truth, "Edward" and I grew closer and closer, but I never told him about my spiritual quest. I never told him how interested in his religion I was, scared that he'd take it as a promise. I didn't want to promise anything because I wasn't sure.

One day at school he seemed very depressed, acting different than he normally did. When he started walking with me as he normally did, he said in a sad voice that he couldn't do this anymore. That he figured it was best to end it before either of us grew anymore attached. He told me he was only supposed to date members of his church, and for a while he was ignoring that rule because he liked me so much, but after thinking about it long enough, his conscience caught up with him. He told me that letting one rule slide would lead to letting more rules slide, and he couldn't do that.

Well, a couple of days later, I wrote him a letter confessing all that I had been doing. I told him about the day I cried, God's promise, that I had started reading the BOM, and that I really did want to know all I could about it. Well, he was completely overjoyed about this.

I read the BOM, and as Moroni promised, I prayed to find out whether or not it was true. But then I realized that I had known all along, from the moment "Edward" had led me in that direction. So now I continue to learn and grow more and more. After finishing the BOM, I read the NT again, and there was nothing in it that made me change my mind, but rather, it strengthened my faith in everything else I had learned recently.

Now I'm suffering a huge dilemma. I know what religion I belong to. I know where God wants me. I know what I'm meant to be, and yet, I know that my family and friends are going to be extremely upset. They won't understand at all. They'll think that I'm basing the decision off of my feelings for "Edward," rather than genuine faith. They call Mormonism a "cult," and they criticize it. They'd NEVER believe that I sincerely believe in it. By summer, I'll have graduated and turned 18 years old. Should I wait until then to be baptised, so that my parents can't protest?

That's a very powerful conversion story and testimony there, first of all.

The decision is up to you. Do you need parental consent to be baptized before you're 18? I forgot. Here's my two cents: at whichever age you get baptized, your parents are going to have to deal with it. No doubt you're going to see them again, right? Maybe what you need to do is to explain to them what the true beliefs are of the LDS church, a little bit at a time. I'm sure at first they won't want to hear any of it, and will probably be upset, but little by little I'm sure the Lord will open up their hearts. We have a man in our ward who was 18 when he got converted. That same man is I think...54 or so now, married in the temple and everything, and his PARENTS were converted just over a year ago. The Lord has his ways.

Welcome to the LDS Forums, by the way. I'm Eric. :)

Thanks, Ariel.

I hope your family can come to understand. Be prepared for some harsh criticism of you and your new found faith. "Yea, and all that desire to live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution" (2 Timothy 3:21). If you truly desire to follow Jesus Christ and live "godly," you will be criticized, even persecuted, for it. Sometimes our very own families persecute us when we try to do what is right. Do not let this sway you from doing what is right.

Christ, with this principle in mind, said:

"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." Bible scholars have written that Jesus' own family often questioned him. It wasn't until after the resurrection that Jesus' brother James believed. I think this is why Jesus next says "he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:35-38) Like Jesus, the very people of our own home and family may very well turn against us when we try to follow God. However, it is my prayer that like Jesus, in the end, our families will also believe and follow after righteousness.

May God bless you, Ariel. May you have the strength and courage to do what is right. I cannot tell you when to be baptized, or how to address the issue to your parents. Only you, through God's guidance, can know that. Pray about it. Think about it. Pay attention to what God tells you, and act upon it.

Welcome Ariel,

You ask if you should wait. It is your call. I come from a Baptist back ground myself. Not going to be easy road. But, well worth it. My folks still get there jabs in when they can. Not nearly as often as it used to be though. Most people that don't understand something put up this shield that they won't let anyone in. If it were me I would keep up my studies and do what the Lord tells you to do. Who has the ultimate authority? My 2 cents.....

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm certainly going to be taking it to heart for a while. What I might try for a while is getting them used to the idea of it by just attending LDS Church on Sundays. I certainly know that this is going to take a lot of praying so the Lord might soften their hearts.

"Edward" wants to get a missionary to talk to them, but I don't know... I'm kind of scared. What would a missionary say to them?

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm certainly going to be taking it to heart for a while. What I might try for a while is getting them used to the idea of it by just attending LDS Church on Sundays. I certainly know that this is going to take a lot of praying so the Lord might soften their hearts.

"Edward" wants to get a missionary to talk to them, but I don't know... I'm kind of scared. What would a missionary say to them?

reading your story makes me feel guilty for growing up in the church... once you find a way to break the ice with your parents it will be more than worth it good luck! I will pray for you!!

-alanna-

I don't think you need to worry about that. Missionaries go through a lot of training for the exact purpose of helping those who don't fully understand the church. They also deal with many people who are against the church, so this will likely not be something new for them. I think it's a really good idea!

Ariel your story reminds me so much of my own! I grew up in Georgia, right in the heart of the Bible Belt. Now my parents weren't churchgoers but they did allow me to make my own choices regarding God. I too came to know the church because of a guy. But even after he and I just decided to be friends, I still believed in the principles that the church had taught me. I also was baptized when I was 17.

I totally know what you mean about the mentality of people in the south being very closed-minded about things that are different from the norm. I remember one Baptist lady who I had known for years (she actually introduced the concept of God to me when i was just a little kid) absolutely freaked out when I told her that I'd joined the LDS church. She got this very sad look on her face and she said that I'd done something bad and that she'd pray for me to come back to the Baptist church. You can expect that to happen. Others might not understand why you've made the choice you have made. But just follow your heart. :)

Ariel your story reminds me so much of my own! I grew up in Georgia, right in the heart of the Bible Belt. Now my parents weren't churchgoers but they did allow me to make my own choices regarding God. I too came to know the church because of a guy. But even after he and I just decided to be friends, I still believed in the principles that the church had taught me. I also was baptized when I was 17.

I totally know what you mean about the mentality of people in the south being very closed-minded about things that are different from the norm. I remember one Baptist lady who I had known for years (she actually introduced the concept of God to me when i was just a little kid) absolutely freaked out when I told her that I'd joined the LDS church. She got this very sad look on her face and she said that I'd done something bad and that she'd pray for me to come back to the Baptist church. You can expect that to happen. Others might not understand why you've made the choice you have made. But just follow your heart. :)

That sounds almost identical to my problem.

If only they knew what it was all about... It bothers me that they don't even know 1% of how great God's love really is. And now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is where I'm meant to be.

I guess eventually they're going to have to deal with it. It doesn't matter when they do, the reaction is all going to be the same. I'm wasting time that I could be spending in the right place, being scared of people who only think they know the gospel... Sigh...

I think I'm just going to let the missionaries talk to my parents.

That would be the best.

I agree with everyone else but I would like to point out one thing...we are christians.the definiton of a Christian is someone who believes in Chirst is it not?So therefore we are.

Another thing is that there is no rule saying you may not date outside the church..why if my dad didn't I wouldn't be here.They advise against it but there is no rule saying we musn't.a lot of good people have been brought into the church through that.

I wish you the best of luck with your predicament.Sometimes it takes a little while for people to get used to it.But what matters is you've found your place.To heck with what they say! ^_^

That sounds almost identical to my problem.

If only they knew what it was all about... It bothers me that they don't even know 1% of how great God's love really is. And now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is where I'm meant to be.

I guess eventually they're going to have to deal with it. It doesn't matter when they do, the reaction is all going to be the same. I'm wasting time that I could be spending in the right place, being scared of people who only think they know the gospel... Sigh...

I think I'm just going to let the missionaries talk to my parents.

That's a good idea. :) They are trained to be able to deal with people who are less than welcoming when it comes to the church. My mom even sat in on a couple of the discussions when I let her know that I was interested in learning more about the church. Although she never joined, she did come to see that the LDS church isn't acult and is full of loving, caring people who have a deep relationship with God.

That would be the best.

I agree with everyone else but I would like to point out one thing...we are christians.the definiton of a Christian is someone who believes in Chirst is it not?So therefore we are.

Another thing is that there is no rule saying you may not date outside the church..why if my dad didn't I wouldn't be here.They advise against it but there is no rule saying we musn't.a lot of good people have been brought into the church through that.

I wish you the best of luck with your predicament.Sometimes it takes a little while for people to get used to it.But what matters is you've found your place.To heck with what they say! ^_^

Don't worry, I do know now that you're Christians :). I didn't know that before because I didn't know anything about it, but once I started asking questions and reading about it, I learned that y'all are just as much Christians as any other church--perhaps even more genuine and devout than other churches too. "Edward"'s whole thing with the dating non-Mormons thing is that dating is all about finding the person you want to marry, and he wants to marry for time and all eternity and not until death do us part. That's why he doesn't want to be with anyone who isn't a LDS like him.

That's a good idea. :) They are trained to be able to deal with people who are less than welcoming when it comes to the church. My mom even sat in on a couple of the discussions when I let her know that I was interested in learning more about the church. Although she never joined, she did come to see that the LDS church isn't acult and is full of loving, caring people who have a deep relationship with God.

Hopefully that is what will happen for me too. I'm sure there is even a chance that my family could see the truth and join with me years from now. That would be amazing. :) I'll just pray for that day to come.

The only thing I can add here is that I converted at the age of 19. Things were a little easier in that

a) the conversion wasn't tangled up in a person I was also dating. I think that situation would have caused my parents to focus their displeasure on that boy. It would have made them more likely to feel that I wasn't really convicted--rather I was acting hastily because of my feelings for the boy.

B) I was away at college (many, many states away) and I only had to "hear" their feedback on the phone and in letters and anyway, they're more the stoney silence type than the yell and yell type.

But the one letter my father did send was a massive zinger. I had forgotten all about until recently when I was looking back at my journal from that time period. Whoo! It's so hard, that time in life, when the separation from parents gets tough. I was sooo hurt at the time.

I will say that 20 years later, it's all mostly forgotten. My father still acts like he just doesn't "get" our church when the subject comes up, but I don't react anymore. I point out that if he really wants to know all he has to do is go to Mormon.org and do some reading or call the 800 number and they'll send out a couple of nice 19 year olds to teach him. The subject doesn't come up more than once every few years.

You'll need to make your own decisions about what is next for you and the timing of that. But I can tell you without hesitation that the Lord will help you through whatever you decide and that in my experience, most family members do mellow out over time and trust you to know your own heart.

Sooo, I talked to "Edward" about the missionary thing. He's going to help set it up for me, and he even said he'd come with the missionary so I wouldn't feel as... intimidated, hehe. I'm SO excited!

It's crazy, I've never experienced this kind of... perpetual joy before. My family and friends are noticing how much happier I've been lately. That should make them more open to it. :)

I know it must have been hard changing.

Southern Baptists can be very strict and even put down faiths in their own protestant faith.

I have seen SBs talk badly about Methodists and Lutherans ect..

I respect people with different faiths, it is just the way it is.

Again I'm sorry they treated you like that.

• 3 months later...

Well, I just want to update y'all, since it's been a while.

I took a while to ease my family into everything nice and slow... But after a while of going to church and finding everything out through the Archibalds (the family "Edward," is from), I started feeling left out and like I was putting God on hold. My testimony grew stronger each day, and it was becoming harder to hide from it.

Spring Break was last week, and I had the missionaries talk with me and my family to get them used to the teachings of the LDS church. My mother and Stepdad, after a couple of lessons, grew more receptive, and by the end of all of the lessons, they were actually open and happy for me joining the church. I've eased all of my friends into the idea, too, and so they're not freaking out about it anymore. My sister and her boyfriend even agreed to listen to the missionaries. I was baptized on Saturday, and confirmed a member on Sunday(Easter)! I am SO glad to finally be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Welcome to the forums! And thank you for your incredible conversion story.

The last thing the church wants to do is cause a rift between you and your parents. Before you are age 18, you will need parental permission to be baptized. Afterwards, because you are legally an adult, you would be free to make your own decision.

Sometimes, parents or other family members will not understand and perhaps feel betrayed because of your choice. Be considerate of their feelings but be true to yours also.

Good luck and keep praying and you will be led to the best answer on how to handle it.

What a wonderful experience and a beautiful testimony.

I read the BOM, and as Moroni promised, I prayed to find out whether or not it was true. But then I realized that I had known all along, from the moment "Edward" had led me in that direction. So now I continue to learn and grow more and more. After finishing the BOM, I read the NT again, and there was nothing in it that made me change my mind, but rather, it strengthened my faith in everything else I had learned recently.

I really appreciate reading that epiphany you had.

It's crazy, I've never experienced this kind of... perpetual joy before. My family and friends are noticing how much happier I've been lately. That should make them more open to it. :)

The influence of the Holy Ghost is a wonderful thing isn't it? Welcome to the forums and welcome to our faith. I suspect you will be a great influence and source of strength to those around you and to people that you will meet in your life. Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Many, many years ago (I'm an old dude, now), I dated a nonmember girl (I lived in Indiana then). Eventually, her parents got to her and she rejected me and the church. Ouch. Looking back, however, that all worked out well. I'm still faithful, and I've been married (sealed) for 20 years, now.

I was excited to read your follow-up. I'm excited that your family chose to at least listen with open minds and allow you your spiritual path rather than fight you like my old girlfriend's parents did.

Now that you're baptized, I encourage you to live the Gospel as best you can. Not only will that bring you joy, but it will also show your parents that this wasn't a choice you made simply for a boyfriend. Best to you!

MRKH

You know, as much as people try to paint the LDS faith as one that does not believe in the Bible, a great many of our converts join BECAUSE of our belief in the Bible. I personally feel that way. I am not Mormon because I have reservations about the Bible, but because the LDS Church truly teaches and stands for what is in the Bible.

I served my mission in North Carolina.

-a-train

Thank you Ariel for the wonderful conversion story and your testimony. You are a very strong and wise daughter of God.

I was a convert, too, at age 19. I"m now 57.......I came from a non religious family. My dad's only comment about me joining the church was 'At least you'll be going to church now". In all those years since, no one has ever asked me a question about the church. I love my family, and do temple work for them, but I do wonder if they will accept the Gospel once they hear it.

Welcome to the church.......make friends within the ward and it will be easier when Edward goes on a mission (if he choses to go) and is away from you for 2 yrs.