Sunday School podcasts

laronius

I have definitely felt that way, particularly with the Follow Him podcast with Hank Smith and John Bytheway. I often get the sense that the circles those two hosts run within, particularly among many at BYU, have this kind of "group think" around the Gospel and different factoids/tidbits about the scriptures and the church. I don't how best to explain it, but I feels as though sometimes their insights and connections and stories are more components of a collective church culture as opposed to truths taught by the Spirit.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Vort said:

Re: Small group discussions:

I personally have rarely found them effective. In principle, they sound great, but in practice, I have found them unsatisfying. I think it works better either to have small classes or to have instruction tailored to large classes. Breaking into small groups seems like having your cake and eating it, too, and in my experience it works just about as well.

I have had a sneaking suspicion that this is the go-to method when the instructor has not properly prepared a lesson.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, Carborendum said:

I have had a sneaking suspicion that this is the go-to method when the instructor has not properly prepared a lesson.

They can be done well, but it’s actually *more* work to do it right.  Because (in my experience) you have to appoint group leaders several days in advance, and spend some time with them to make sure they’ve read the lesson themselves and understand what it is that you (as teacher) are hoping to accomplish.  Some topics (brainstorming, hypothetical scenarios, problem-solving) lend themselves well to small-group discussion; others (“share your most intimate spiritual experience in this small group, so that the ‘group leader’ can recount a watered-down version of it to the entire classroom a few minutes later”) really don’t.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

My experience with small group discussions, both at church and at work is that participants spend the first minute or two trying to work out what they are supposed to be discussing. Then a fairly short amount of time discussing the intended topic. Next, a quick discussion about who will be the group's spokesperson. And finally, a munch longer discussion on whatever else comes to mind. 

On 8/6/2023 at 6:10 PM, zil2 said:

Thankfully, I don't think I've heard this in my Sunday School class - if I have, it's been rare.  Personally, I wish the people doing those podcasts / YT channels / etc. would stop.  The point of CFM is for people to learn from the Holy Ghost.  If they have a podcast to turn to, they're not turning to the Holy Ghost.  People think that some stranger's brilliant insight is more impressive than the Holy Ghost telling them [whatever simple thing], but they're wrong.  Even feeling the Holy Ghost testify of the truthfulness of something presented in a podcast is not as important as learning to hear the Holy Ghost during your personal, private or family scripture study.  The podcast may be easier or more interesting, it may feel like you learned something, but it's not as important as learning to learn from the Holy Ghost. /rant

I didn't even know there were these podcasts.  That sounds fascinating.  Perhaps using them as a way to enhance your own scripture study could be useful.  I am intrigued by this now.  I don't do podcasts though.  IF they have some sort of youtube channel that could be interesting. 

5 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I didn't even know there were these podcasts.  That sounds fascinating.  Perhaps using them as a way to enhance your own scripture study could be useful.  I am intrigued by this now.  I don't do podcasts though.  IF they have some sort of youtube channel that could be interesting. 

All the ones I know are YouTube.  Please don't let YouTube + laziness / convenience replace the Holy Ghost and personal revelation!

Just now, zil2 said:

All the ones I know are YouTube.  Please don't let YouTube + laziness / convenience replace the Holy Ghost and personal revelation!

Oh, I won't.  I just find it could be interesting to see others insights to the same material as I am reading.  It probably also makes better material to read than news stories during the upcoming student hours I'll have (Where almost no students come to see me  until either mid-terms or the end of the semester occurs).