Sacrament Prayers

zil2

Background

In my personal study of the scriptures, I try to keep notes in my journal.  This helps me think deeper - in part because I feel like I'm not trying hard enough if I can't come up with anything to write while reading my scriptures.  I also read from the Book of Mormon every day and yesterday was Moroni 4 & 5 which are the Sacrament prayers.  Put these two things together, and I wind up thinking more deeply than I might otherwise about verses I have already memorized.  I don't think there's anything earth-shattering here, just a clearer realization on my part...

Item for Discussion

In the prayer for the bread, it lists these things that we witness (aka testify) to the Father:

• willing to take upon [ourselves] the name of [His] Son
  • always remember him [the Son]
  • keep his [the Son's] commandments

I was thinking about the first of these.  If you ask in a Church class how we take his name upon ourselves, some of the answers might include: "acting like Christ would act", "making and keeping covenants" (I'm intentionally avoiding getting specific on this one), "keeping the commandments", or "being an example".  That last one is very popular - people like to use that one as how we do missionary work, too: "just be an example".  It's such a nice, easy, passive option.  I now realize this isn't complete - all of those could qualify as #3, "keep his commandments".  I'm certain the Lord didn't give us three items just to be redundant.

So, I tried to figure out how exactly we take his name upon ourselves (feel free to share your thoughts - this is the question I want to explore).

Another way that this (and also agency) has been explained is by comparing it to wearing a uniform or similar identifier of an employer - as long as you have that uniform on, you're representing the employer and what you do will reflect on the company / person employing you.  And this was my conclusion - as important as it is to "be an example", if people don't explicitly know of whom you are an example, you're not fulfilling the requirement: take his name on yourself.  We take his name upon ourselves when we let it be known that we are his disciples, when we act in his name, speak and teach of him.  No more easy out.

Anyone have other thoughts on this?  Other ways we take his name upon ourselves (in addition to covenant and letting people know we are his disciple)?

6 hours ago, zil2 said:

So, I tried to figure out how exactly we take his name upon ourselves (feel free to share your thoughts - this is the question I want to explore).

During the Sacrament I try to meditate on Jesus Christ, with a broken heart and contrite spirit.

I have found that the more I can focus on Jesus as opposed to myself, the ordinance becomes more sacred and meaningful.  

I like most people am pretty great about thinking about myself….  How I did last week.  New resolutions for next week.  How I acted un-Christ-like in such and such situation.  And how I can be a better representative of Christ in the future.  Generalized self reflection.  

If you reflect on the prayers, we should be thinking about Christ.  And only Christ.

Personally I think about the bread as a symbol.  It represents Jesus Christ’s body.  But I dont think about his body of flesh and bone, I think about his body of work.  How He prepared in the pre-existence to become the Savior.  How He lived his life as a mortal.  How He lived a sin free life and while never committing a sin of omission either.  How he taught with authority.  Specifically how he taught the commandments.  First the instruction to Adam and Eve in the Garden.  Then the 10 commandments given to Moses.  Then the simplification via the 2 great commandments.  And the then the expansion / elucidation of the commandments during the beatitudes. 

If I have time left over I think about how Jesus Christ acted in difficult situations.  How he was able to love those he interacted with and help them.

When the Sacrament is over I usually reflect.  I can and should do better.

21 hours ago, zil2 said:

Background

In my personal study of the scriptures, I try to keep notes in my journal.  This helps me think deeper - in part because I feel like I'm not trying hard enough if I can't come up with anything to write while reading my scriptures.  I also read from the Book of Mormon every day and yesterday was Moroni 4 & 5 which are the Sacrament prayers.  Put these two things together, and I wind up thinking more deeply than I might otherwise about verses I have already memorized.  I don't think there's anything earth-shattering here, just a clearer realization on my part...

Item for Discussion

In the prayer for the bread, it lists these things that we witness (aka testify) to the Father:

• willing to take upon [ourselves] the name of [His] Son
  • always remember him [the Son]
  • keep his [the Son's] commandments

I was thinking about the first of these.  If you ask in a Church class how we take his name upon ourselves, some of the answers might include: "acting like Christ would act", "making and keeping covenants" (I'm intentionally avoiding getting specific on this one), "keeping the commandments", or "being an example".  That last one is very popular - people like to use that one as how we do missionary work, too: "just be an example".  It's such a nice, easy, passive option.  I now realize this isn't complete - all of those could qualify as #3, "keep his commandments".  I'm certain the Lord didn't give us three items just to be redundant.

Another way that this (and also agency) has been explained is by comparing it to wearing a uniform or similar identifier of an employer - as long as you have that uniform on, you're representing the employer and what you do will reflect on the company / person employing you.  And this was my conclusion - as important as it is to "be an example", if people don't explicitly know of whom you are an example, you're not fulfilling the requirement: take his name on yourself.  We take his name upon ourselves when we let it be known that we are his disciples, when we act in his name, speak and teach of him.  No more easy out.

Anyone have other thoughts on this?  Other ways we take his name upon ourselves (in addition to covenant and letting people know we are his disciple)?

Thank you for this thread and your post.  I will add a few thoughts – not to change your thoughts but only to add to them.

Often (especially in scripture) our covenant relationship to Christ is compared to marriage.  In that comparison we become the bride and Christ is the groom.  It is the tradition of marriage that the bride takes upon them the name of the groom.  In our modern culture this submission and the bride taking the name of the groom is sometimes seen as sexist and a degradation to women.  I do not intend to debate that notion but rather point to this as a step in becoming one – or as in ancient Hebrew “ehad”.

I believe the point is based in covenant and that the sacrament covenant follows the format of the ancient Biblical covenants – such as the Adamic, Noahic and Abrahamic covenants.  In such covenant we promise G-d to honor, revere (obedience), love and serve – all of which is done with fidelity and loyalty only to G-d and none other.  In return G-d promises to provide for our needs (including a promised land – symbolic of a place in or citizenship in the kingdom of heaven), provide protection from enemies (symbolic of help when attacked by the forces of darness and restoration of all that is lost and 3rdly a promise of seed (symbolic of both children and unending or everlasting life).

It is also interesting to me that in many Middle Eastern cultures that for a marriage to be official or legal that the groom would provide bread and wine to the bride to be symbolic of his love and dedication to her and their covenant of marriage.  The bride would then drink of the wine and eat the bread symbolic of her acceptance of him in love and dedication to him and their covenant of marriage.

I find this meaningful, especially having made a sacred covenant of marriage with G-d and my beloved wife in the holy temple of G-d.  Thus, connecting my new and everlasting covenant with G-d and my wife to the sacrament.  That together we renew our vows and oneness of name with our Messiah and the Father of us all.  For me the sacrament is more than just my personal commitment to G-d and includes my vows of marriage – I am grateful to take the sacrament with my wife.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Often (especially in scripture) our covenant relationship to Christ is compared to marriage.

... Ah, yes, this should have occurred to me!  Thank you - not only taking the name and becoming one, but also joining his family could be part of the symbolism - adopted into Christ's family.

And all the rest - thank you for the expansion! :)  Hoping others have more - I think this is the sort of think we can't think too much about, and I find it easier to think more if I can expand my thoughts as well as deepen them.

I think we could add temple work to the process of taking upon us the name of Christ. For one thing, doing work for the dead helps us become saviors on Mount Zion. 

But also, when you consider the covenants made during the endowment what we are really talking about are the qualities that defined Christ's mortal ministry and prepared the way for the atonement. I really like the recent changes they have made showing just how much it revolves around the Savior.

Edited by laronius