Get Religion: Church Members & Science Fiction

Ironhold

https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2023/9/6/attention-gray-lady-team-latter-day-saints-are-not-the-only-skilled-fantasy-scribes

The Get Religion blog was founded some years ago by a group of veteran news reporters who had experience covering religion and religious topics. Their goal is to examine how various news outlets cover this field, what they call the "Godbeat", and point out the good and bad in different reports as a means of helping other journalists hone their craft. I've been a regular reader for over a decade now, and have commented enough - including submitting a few stories for consideration - that I've had a few chats with some of the regular contributors. 

This bit here is one of their contributors looking over a New York Times story in which the author is flabbergasted by how many members of the church have found their place as science fiction and fantasy authors. Not only is the contributor noting that there are elements of church culture that have contributed to a love of literature (even above and beyond the things the writer notes), the contributor also notes that the writer has failed to mention the long history *of* religious authors being successful, and even influential, in these fields. 

I wonder what would happen if someone explained to the NYT writer just how many of us are in Hollywood...

On 9/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, Ironhold said:

I wonder what would happen if someone explained to the NYT writer just how many of us are in Hollywood...

That could backfire. Far too many bought into the antisemitic trope that immoral Jewish Hollywood influencers are intentionally destroying American morality. My fear is that adding LDS would not help Jews. Rather, it would resurrect a lie that deserves to die a swift death. 

"That is the hero’s journey.”

That’s a valid point, but the same logic would also apply to religious believers in many other traditions.

Would it though?

Do other religions believe we started with God and will return to Him?  The point of the hero's journey is that

At the end of all our journeys, we will return to the place where we began and know the place for the first time, because it is we who have changed.

Characteristics:

• We start AT HOME as unknowing, ignorant, children.
  • We have a call to adventure.
  • We figuratively die (sometimes literally).
  • With rise again with the aid of Heaven.
  • We conquer the enemy.
  • We return HOME changed forever.

In every hero's journey, we come back to the same place -- home.  I now of no other Christian faith that believes we started in heaven.

To know the place for the first time.