Conference on local TV stations...

Ironhold

OK. 

I live by Fort Hood / Fort Cavazos. 

Once upon a time, a friendly face at the (now) Charter Spectrum cable company branch facilities in Killeen would occasionally splice in General Conference, usually on a public access or government information channel being offered by Spectrum as a public service. When we got BYU-TV as part of the digital tier, this stopped so near as we could tell. 

Earlier today, I was checking through the digital listings from Spectrum and found that according to the listings, the local Cozi TV affiliate (a network that airs classic TV shows) had a listing for Conference - the 193rd Conference - on Sunday morning. It would start a half hour late and run for two and a half hours instead of two, but if the listing is true then it's someone, possibly at Spectrum, pre-empting regular programming. 

Well, I did some more searching, and found that this Saturday morning the local My Network TV affiliate had a block of time on Saturday morning listed as "to be announced"... that was the same time slot and same duration. 

Thing is, the two affiliates are owned by different companies. 

So yeah... you might want to check *your* local television (over-the-air, cable, or satellite) listings to see if by some chance you'll have Conference coming to you via a local TV station.

This doesn't really address your comments but thought I would share. 

While on my mission in Albuquerque NM in the early 80s we listened to conference via a telephone line at the church building.  It was, however, broadcast live in the Salt Lake area.  Following one of the Saturday sessions (morning or afternoon, I don't recall which) a tape of the broadcast was put on a flight from SLC to ABQ.  I was assigned in the mission office at the time so my companion and I ran down to the airport to collect the tape.  We then took it over to one of the local network affiliates who played the session Sunday morning at 7:00 am as a public service.  Shortly after 9:00 we were back at the affiliate to collect the tape and take it back to the airport for its return trip to Salt Lake.

Today's technology pretty much eliminates stories like this.

Alternately, you can get the Church's new "Gospel Stream" app! :)  Now you don't have to be me to skip YouTube commercials.  And it still supports playing videos at 2x.  And you can download them for playback (in Sunday meetings, for example).

Edited by zil2

36 minutes ago, pam said:

I just watch at the church's website.

I watch on YouTube because I can speed it up - I find it easier to concentrate at high speeds.  Also, I can pause it to take notes, then resume. :)  But I like that the Church has an app and that it has all the features one could want (as far as I can tell).

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

Not everyone has reliable internet access even nowadays, but there are still places where over-the-air TV and radio are big things. 

I was just saying I personally watch on their website.  

This would have been early 2000s when you could get conference just about anywhere. I was nannying for my cousins, and my wealthy uncle had rented out some office space for a conference party for fellow friends/neighbors (we were not in the Mormon Corridor) of our faith and was able to rig up some streaming. It was kind of fun.

These days, living in Utah, I'm spoiled. I told the Google thingy to play KSL radio while I tidied the kitchen this morning.

I miss how often they used to broadcast Conference at the Chapels.  It used to be a thing that we would all get together to watch conference together.  It felt like it was something that still united us in a common cause.  On Sunday it reminded us that it was still Sunday.  (Edit: One other thing I recall about conference before the internet was widespread and it was made more available was that missionaries tended to really love to invite investigators to watch a session with them at the chapel.  It would help with the spirit and they hoped investigators could feel it there too).

In some locations we could not get the broadcast, even with Satellite (when it existed) or via Radio.  I remember getting recordings of conference (so not even video of it) and being able to listen to it on a specified Sunday.  Later, I remember watching videos of it.  When in another part of the world conference would come on at a crazy hour so they would record that session and play it later for people to watch.

Today it seems they expect everyone in my area to have a way to watch it via the internet or TV.  I do, but I wonder about those who live in poverty which do not have such ease.  I was driving during part of the first session on Saturday as I had something I had to do and tried to see if any Radio stations at all in my area would have it.  They didn't.  Not even AM radio. 

One blessing we have today though IS the internet.  I can go and probably pull up the Saturday Morning Session to be able to watch it via the church internet site.  That is something that we were unable to do in the past. 

Edited by JohnsonJones