Cwm Rhondda (Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah)...

Jamie123

...sung by the Tabernacle Choir...

If ever I'm tempted to think life isn't worth living, I remind myself that a world in which such beauty as this exists has to have something going for it.

These aren't the words I'm familiar with, but I'm glad they kept my favourite bit about the "firey cloudy pillar".

Here it is sung in a traditional Welsh chapel, in English and Welsh (at the end):

In England we more often sing "redeemer" instead of "Jehovah" - but I recently found out the original Welsh word is "Arglwydd" - which just means "Lord".

I've sometimes thought it would be fun to learn Welsh - though they it is twice as hard to learn as French. (And I was never very good at that when I was at school!)

Edited by Jamie123

• Jamie123 changed the title to Cwm Rhondda (Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah)...
3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

If ever I'm tempted to think life isn't worth living, I remind myself that a world in which such beauty as this exists has to have something going for it.

I worry about people who don't think the choir's singing is a thing of beauty.  (And I've known a few.)  I get it if you don't like the music style, but man, objectively, you ought to be able to recognize the beauty of it...

The Wikipedia article for Cwm Rhondda was interesting.

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Arglwydd

Sounds like someone is either being strangled or gargling... :unsure:

Meanwhile, someone please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought, on seeing the thread title was, "Beach Boys".

On 10/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, Jamie123 said:

"Cwm" (valley) has exactly the same meaning in both.

Funny thing is that I got to thinking about the Beach Boys song Help me Rhonda.  I actually drew a parallel to this song as well. But at the end of the day, it was rather silly.  I draw connections and analogies to everything.  I just like recognizing patterns.