Reflections on Divine Anointing and Leadership: From Shepherd to King

As I delved into the narratives spanning 1 Samuel 16 through 2 Samuel 10, a profound journey unfolded—one that took a young shepherd boy and transformed him into the king of Israel. This stretch of scripture is not merely a historical recounting but a rich tapestry that reveals the complexities of divine anointing, the essence of godly leadership, and the intricate ways in which God's sovereignty intertwines with human agency. The stories of David's anointing, his rise to prominence, his complex relationship with Saul, and his eventual kingship over Israel offer timeless lessons on faith, power, and the heart of true leadership.

Anointed Yet Patient: David's Early Journey

In 1 Samuel 16, David is anointed by Samuel, chosen by God not for his physical prowess or royal lineage but for his heart. This divine selection of a shepherd boy underscores a fundamental kingdom principle: God values character above external qualifications. Yet, what struck me most profoundly was David's patience and humility following his anointing. He did not rush to seize the throne; instead, he served faithfully under Saul, even when Saul sought his life. This period of waiting and service was not wasted time but a divine incubation period where David's character, faith, and reliance on God were refined.

Leadership Tested Through Adversity

David's ascent to kingship was fraught with challenges—from evading Saul's jealous rage to navigating the political and military complexities of uniting Israel. Each trial tested David's leadership, not just in terms of martial prowess but more significantly, in spiritual faithfulness and moral integrity. David's lament over Saul and Jonathan's deaths in 2 Samuel 1 reveals a leader who could mourn his adversaries, showing the depth of David's capacity for empathy and forgiveness—hallmarks of godly leadership.

The Heart of Leadership: Serving God's Purposes

Upon becoming king, David's actions—from his desire to bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem in 2 Samuel 6 to his military campaigns that expanded Israel's borders—were driven by a desire to fulfill God's purposes for Israel. Yet, it was God's covenant with David in 2 Samuel 7, promising an everlasting dynasty, that highlighted the essence of David's leadership: a heart aligned with God's will. This covenant underscored that David's kingship was not merely a personal achievement but a pivotal moment in the unfolding of God's redemptive plan for humanity.

Personal Reflections and Application

Studying these chapters has prompted me to reflect on the nature of the leadership roles I occupy—whether in family, work, or community. Like David, am I leading with patience, humility, and a heart aligned with God's purposes? David's story challenges me to evaluate not just my actions but the state of my heart in leadership.

Moreover, David's journey from shepherd to king serves as a powerful reminder that our current station in life is not our final destination. With faith in God and fidelity to His commands, the seemingly ordinary can lead to extraordinary paths of divine destiny.

As we navigate our own life's challenges and opportunities for leadership, may we draw inspiration from David's journey, remembering that true greatness in God's kingdom is measured by the condition of our hearts and our faithfulness to His call.

I lament King David lost his exaltation because of his murder of Uriah.  Doctrine & Covenants 132 verses 38 and 39 talks about this.  Verse 39 says:  " . . . he he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion . . ."

He was a good ruler the most part of his life and was humble most of time.  I would not have had the faith at his age to face the mighty warrior Goliath and prevail.  I would have likely also killed Saul if he were hunting me and trying to put me to death.  David could have killed Saul a few times but said:  "Destroy him not, for who can stretch forth his hand against the Lord’s anointed and be guiltless?”  (I Samuel 26:9)

It is sad how any of us can work so hard our entire lives to build something then begin to make bad decisions and lose our exaltation.  Likely, David will receive the Telestial Kingdom because of his adultery and murder, but nothing has been revealed on his judgment.  He was not resurrected when Christ began the first resurrection of the just.

2 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

It is sad how any of us can work so hard our entire lives to build something then begin to make bad decisions and lose our exaltation.  Likely, David will receive the Telestial Kingdom because of his adultery and murder, but nothing has been revealed on his judgment.  He was not resurrected when Christ began the first resurrection of the just.

This has always been a tough one for me, not that someone would lose their exaltation because of adultery and murder. That's expected. But that someone that seemed so good could fall so far.

Did he really change that much or was the young faithful David not the "real" David? 

20 hours ago, laronius said:

This has always been a tough one for me, not that someone would lose their exaltation because of adultery and murder. That's expected. But that someone that seemed so good could fall so far.

Did he really change that much or was the young faithful David not the "real" David? 

Thus "Enduring to the End" is vital. I guess the final lesson we can glean from David would be, no matter how righteous and highly favored you have been, if you don't endure the greatness of your past can't help you.

But, the opposite is also true.

No matter how unrighteous your past, it won't be counted against you if you enter the covenant path AND endure the the end.

Edited by ZealoulyStriving

Greetings @Sail:

As I ponder various epochs in scripture, I am not sure that the divine message or purpose is obvious.  From the Biblical accounts there seems to be some contradictions.  The reverences to G-d and divine society is always that G-d is the Supreme Suzerain (King) and that heaven is a divine kingdom.  However, when it comes to G-d’s covenant peoples here in mortality on this earth – Making our human leaders kings and making ourselves subjects of our governments and governors have never worked out well.  Not for ourselves nor our leaders.

To me the story of David very much portrays this great contradiction.  Obviously, something very critical is missing.  Perhaps some of what is missing is referenced in Doctrine and Convenance section 121 verse 39:

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

So prominent is the inclination to misuse authority that it seems to me that the only one worthy of authority is the person that does not want anything to do with it.  Thus they will only use authority is when it is forced upon them and that only acceptance is as a temporary act of service.

So, in my pondering I wonder if we really understand G-d, his leadership and the divine society of heaven.  Perhaps our view of heaven is not Celestial at all but rather more along with the glory and governance of the telestial or terrestrial, both because of what is expected of leaders and what is intended as our contribution.

The Traveler