Referring to people by surname only

WillowTheWhisp

I have noticed a few people on here referring to President Hinckley and other General Authorities merely by the use of his surname, such as saying "Hinckley said....." or "Monson will......" Is this considered normal and inoffensive in the US? Here in Britain it would be regarded as intentionally impolite not to precede the surname with at least 'Brother' if not 'President'.

Guest Malcolm

I think in these posts people take certain liberties to save ourselves a few key strokes, perhaps. Most of us, however do refer tot he GA as Brother so-and-so or President,

I like to use the old-style frontier-America-esque forms of address. Calling people Brother Jim and Sister Sandra and whatnot. It's the way Joseph Smith preferred to be addressed, and the way he addressed others. And I think it adds a bit of an endearing and intimate quality to a conversation that just isn't there otherwise.

But I'll still use the full formal title with anyone in authority. Because even though "Brother Joseph" sounds right to me, "Brother Gordon" still doesn't.

LM

In the Mission Field, Loren C. Dunn (deceased member of the Presidency of the Quorum of Seventy) was attending a zone conference and one of the Elders made a blunder and called him a GA to his face. He replied, "What did you call me?" Then he made a joke about it, but he said that is not showing proper respect to the office.

The press and the outside world will do that, sometimes. But, even newspapers would always start off their article with the title and position, i.e. President Thomas S. Monson, and then afterward refer to him as "Monson."

I do think it's okay to leave off middle initials of the Brethren, like Elder Russell Nelson, in place of Russell M. Nelson. I don't know how you feel about that?

I agree, that is a good point to make. It is all about RESPECTfor those that are called to lead us. The British have it right this time!

It's disrespectful to not use titles when referring to persons of importance. I would never refer to President Hinckley as Gordon or Hinckley or anything other than President Hinckley. Among friends though, I see nothing wrong with it. On my mission we used to omit 'Elder" when referring to a missionary (even though it was frowned upon), and I still do it today with some friends. I think there is a time and a place when you should and should not do it.

It is common in America to use just the last name in referring to all sorts of people, like Bush or Gates or Monson. You will even hear these single names on the national news. Any disrespect beyond that is in the ears of the listener. :o

However in formal correspondence, you will use titles like

Dr. Steuss, Your Eminence and the Marquis de la Moksha.

I always refer to friends at church just by their first name even though we have been asked to call each other Sister +Surname on Sundays. I suppose it just feels a bit odd doing that when we are friends. But if I was talking about them to someone who didn't particularly know them then I would refer to them as Sister Whatever (or Brother as the case may be). When I was in Primary if I was talking to the children about another teacher I would always call the teacher Sister +Surname but I have noticed now that they seem to be using first names more often amongst the younger teachers. Maybe this is because they have known them as Valiants when they were Sunbeams.

I understand it is quite common for news reporters etc to use just the surname but I have to admit it has made me cringe when reading some posts on here by LDS members where prophets and apostles have just been referred to by the poster as "Smith" or "Hinckley"