Altitude question.

Fiannan

I am planning on staying at a hotel in the spring which is at 3000 meters (around 10 thousand ft. elevation). Anyone ever do this? Are there really all that many effects from high altitude? Just curious about personal experiences since one of the hikes I may go on will take me to 5000 meters. I asked a doctor who just gave the basic health stuff but I wanted to hear from some others who have actually spent a bit of time at such elevations.

ok I know I spent time in the Mojave Desert and the Rockies during three pregnancies, a lot is to do with the altitude you usually live at both were considerably higher than where I live in North East Scotland where I am practically at sea level. I was advised to wear flight socks but I think that was because my pregnancy considerably increased a risk of DVT and had history of high bp during my first.

Basically just take it easier than you are used too and keep yourself hydrated, I did find myself more tired and short of breath but I was between 3 and 6 months pregnant. Gradually build yourself up

-Charley

Eden, Utah is not 9000ft elevation. Probably more like 5000ft. I cycle up on Trapper's loop which goes up to Snowbasin ski resort from the valley where Huntsville is located. Eden is in the same valley on the north end. Snowbasin at it's base is around 8000ft and goes to about 9500ft. at the top.

I spend quite a bit hiking in the Wasatch mountains (my backyard) which average around 10,000ft elevation. For those who aren't used to high altitude, you will be short of breath and will probably have a headache initially. Your body should adjust fairly quickly though. You will tire more quickly too but that will go away as well...

Powder Ridge Village, Eden, UT says it is at 9000 ft. Perhaps the city is down below, but the resort has the same address?

Ok...when you said Powder Ridge Village, that makes more sense. Powder Ridge Village is associated with the Power Ridge Mountain Ski resort. Eden is the city below. If you're staying at the resort which is sounds like you are, then, yes it would be much higher than the city. Basically you drive 7 miles up the mountain from Eden to get there. The city Eden itself is 5000ft elevation. You'll see what I mean when you get here...:)

I am planning on staying at a hotel in the spring which is at 3000 meters (around 10 thousand ft. elevation). Anyone ever do this? Are there really all that many effects from high altitude? Just curious about personal experiences since one of the hikes I may go on will take me to 5000 meters. I asked a doctor who just gave the basic health stuff but I wanted to hear from some others who have actually spent a bit of time at such elevations.

It doesn't bother me, but prior to her being at school at BYU, my daughter would get very, very sick from well below 3000 meters.

Acclimating by climbing lower hikes now will help. Drink plenty of fluids - seems to help.

Friends and I hiked several 14'ers when I was with my dad, when he was stationed at Ft Carson CO (Colorado springs). It was also about this time I took up track in high school. During any kind of strenuous physical activity the altitude will get to you at first, depending on where are coming from. The thing that kinda sucks though, is if your on vacation by the time you become acclimated you will be going home.

Just remember when your sucking air that Mt Everest (8800m) has been climbed many times without supplemental oxygen.

I live at about 30 feet above sea level on the gulf coast. I hiked part of the continental divide in Colorado a few years ago. I rode a bicycle hard (2 to 3 hours 6 days a week) to get prepared for it but the altitude still kicked by tush. My lungs, at times, felt like they were searching around for individual O2 molecules in the air.

My advice is to physically prepare but travel light and plan on resting a lot more than you would normally expect to.

You don't have to be carrying anything to have a hard time breathing at that altitude. I had a hard time going up the 14ers in CO with only 20lbs in 2300ci daypack, and I'm in really good shape.

I read a book a while back by one of the first to summit everest without oxygen, and he said the get an idea of breathing at the summit pinch you nose shut and shove a handful of cotton balls in your mouth.

Thanks everyone. I am in good physical condition and I have challenged one of my younger female collegues to go running with me once we arrive at our destination -- wish me luck!

I am curious though, one of the problems with altitude seems to be headaches for some. Is it best to take asperine or tylenol if one develops such a problem?

Thanks everyone. I am in good physical condition and I have challenged one of my younger female collegues to go running with me once we arrive at our destination -- wish me luck!

I am curious though, one of the problems with altitude seems to be headaches for some. Is it best to take asperine or tylenol if one develops such a problem?

i asked my athlete brother he says drink more water and stay hydrated usually helps or some orange juice if you feel dizzy. And do you have sherbet in the US take that?

-Charley