Patriarchal Blessing question

JustMiss

I just first want to compliment this site for really nice advice section on this discussion board. I was reading through alot of the post and am moved by the support you offer to those in need.

I just have a quick question and I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to point me in the right direction. I am a former member of the LDS church and I would like to obtain a copy of my patriarchal blessing. I've been aways from the church for several years and I'm not sure where to begin. Does anyone know the steps I need to take to get another copy? What information they would need? Where I would put the request in? etc.? Thank you kindly for your time and I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Missy

I see only one problem with what you are asking.....you mentioned you were a former member....if you are no longer a member I don't think you can have a copy of P Blessing...

What difference would that make Pale? She is still the same person, it is her Patriarchal Blessing after all. Just Miss- go talk to the Bishop of the Ward you would be in if you were active. Find out for sure.

What difference would that make Pale? She is still the same person, it is her Patriarchal Blessing after all. Just Miss- go talk to the Bishop of the Ward you would be in if you were active. Find out for sure.

when you have your name removed from the records or have been ex'd all the blessings are gone.....you don't get them back until rebaptised......thats what happens when you are no longer a member.....and I think that also includes PB's.....I don't see why a Pb would be any different than a record of Baptism or Temple Sealing or Endowment.

I was afraid of something like that. I know when I got my letter of them removing my name from the records it said something along the lines of all the eternal works of my baptism will be undone. I would think that even if they think the PB is voided because I am no longer a member, they could still give me a copy. Yeah my name was removed but that was still mine and it wouldn't be hurting anyone by me getting a copy of the blessings even if they are considered undone. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it makes sense in my head. Thanks for your input. I'll request a copy and see what happens. It's all I can do anyhow. If they say no, they say no.

So, you're wanting to find a copy of all the blessings you have rejected or that by your actions you have forfeited? How sad.

Real Christian and brotherly of you JD- you show real compassion. :animatedthumbsdown:

I was afraid of something like that. I know when I got my letter of them removing my name from the records it said something along the lines of all the eternal works of my baptism will be undone. I would think that even if they think the PB is voided because I am no longer a member, they could still give me a copy. Yeah my name was removed but that was still mine and it wouldn't be hurting anyone by me getting a copy of the blessings even if they are considered undone. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it makes sense in my head. Thanks for your input. I'll request a copy and see what happens. It's all I can do anyhow. If they say no, they say no.

Yes....you can try.....but remember your name was removed....as a former Bishop I don't think you will get a copy of your PB.....there is no church record of you having been a member....good luck anyway!!

Real Christian and brotherly of you JD- you show real compassion. :animatedthumbsdown:

Thanks Iggy. I hoped my post was succinct enough to convey my feelings on the matter. But I think you pushed the worng button for the smiley. I think you meant to post the 'thumbs up' one.

How does it work, giving a Patriarchal Blessing? Do they pray beforehand, then type it up, then hand it to you? Or do they pray right with you in the room, and someone's memorizing it to type up later? Or do they pray with you there, and someone's typing exactly what they say, while they say it? How does the blessing get written down?

The patriarch has a small recorder usually on his shirt pocket and he turns it on to record the blessing he is giving. He then plays it back and types the blessings he pronounced and sends it to Salt Lake and sends you a copy of your PB. That's how I got mine.

John Doe,

No worries, Your post was succinct enough to convey your feelings on the matter. But really it doesn't matter what you "feel" on the matter. So if you want a pat on the back or a thumbs up for being insulting then yeah I agree I think you deserve it. Take care and God Bless!

You were insulted by the sadness I expressed that you would want a list of the blessings you gave up? Sounds odd to me. It doesn't take much to hurt your feelings, does it? If you really feel insulted, feel free to report the post or posts that bother you. I'll happily take whatever lashings the moderator team decides is appropriate for the situation.

If someone has received a Patriarchal Blessing, then leaves the church but later comes back and gets rebaptised and is told all their former blessings have been restored, would that include the Patriarchal Blessing?

Would the copy still be retained in Salt Lake even if someone had their name removed? After all the blessing did take place so it is a valid record of something which actually happened at the time, like we read of blessings in the scriptures but then people fall away from the Gospel and lose their blessings but the record of what they did have is still there.

Maybe reading a Patriarchal Blessing could be the start of someone coming back.

If someone has received a Patriarchal Blessing, then leaves the church but later comes back and gets rebaptised and is told all their former blessings have been restored, would that include the Patriarchal Blessing?

Would the copy still be retained in Salt Lake even if someone had their name removed? After all the blessing did take place so it is a valid record of something which actually happened at the time, like we read of blessings in the scriptures but then people fall away from the Gospel and lose their blessings but the record of what they did have is still there.

yyyyyyeeeeeeeeesssssssssss:):D

I believe that is why it is still there and available to her.

By the way JD I do believe you were extremely rude and as a moderator you are held to a higher standard. If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. NO I did not click on the wrong smilie- :animatedthumbsdown: Actually I wish there was one that had a sign that said: That Was Rude, Shame On You!

Just Miss, when you say you had your name removed from the Church's records, did you actually write a letter to that effect and mail it to SLC? Just verbally telling the Bishop, Bishopric, Home Teachers, Visiting Teachers is not enough to have your name removed.

My best friends son claimed that he had his name removed, and come to find out all he had done was screamed it at the Home Teacher who knocked on his door. 10 years later his name was still on the Church's records. He passed away and she wanted to get his temple ordinances done for him. When they did a search they found that his name was on the Church's rolls - they didn't have to do the baptism all over again.

So, you're wanting to find a copy of all the blessings you have rejected or that by your actions you have forfeited? How sad.

Yeah, because if I were an ex-member comments like that would REALLY make me want to return to the church.

You should be ashamed of yourself. I wish she hadn't of left the church either (or been kicked out, whatever the case may be), but there are many ways of expressing that thought without being a condescending jerk. That's every bit as sad.

The church is made up of individuals some of whom do not always say or do the thing which others would do at the time.

As an example we once had a Bishop who was very blunt and consequently very foot-in-mouth and never even saw that he was doing it. A young couple had been excommunicated prior to marriage but the wife had repented and come back to church and was rebaptised. The husband was a little bit stubborn with a "why should we get punished, other people do it and they don't seem to have been excommunicated" attitude. Maybe his attitude had some bearing on the excommunication who knows. The point is that the wife prayed constantly that her husband would soften his heart and come back to church so they could be sealed in the temple.

One day, when she was already at church, he came. It must have taken a great deal of effort for him to walk through those doors after years of stubborn refusal to even accept that he needed to repent. It was such a joy to see him. Then the Bishop approached him and the first words out of his mouth were, "So, you've finally decided to show your face at last"

The young man turned and left the building and never returned. The couple are now divorced.

How different could it have been if the Bishop had said "Hey, it's great to see you. Come on in!"