Church Court

okforall

I've never been to one.

This book may help, but you may not be able to get it by Sunday:

Amazon.com: The Worth of Every Soul: Gerald Curtis,Loanne Curtis: Books

I would imagine that the "accused" will hear the charges brought against him or her, hear the testimony of witnesses and would have a chance to answer those charges, call witnesses, etc. Then the court would retire to deliberate and seek the will of the Lord concerning the accused.

The entire process is love-inspired and designed to help the offender fully repent and come unto Christ with full purpose of heart.

Sometimes the process has the intended effect.

Sometime it does not. Sometimes the offender becomes even more hardened, and spends several years in a self-imposed isolation before becoming willing to come back and try to reclaim the blessings they have forfeited through their actions.

okforall:

First know that "Court" is a court of dicipline but also is a court of love. It is a step towards the Repentance Process. I will give you some information, but without knowing the details it will be General.

I would advise against giving the details of your case as this is between you, God, and those presiding in the Court.

In General:

You will be given a chance to respond during the process and a Priesthood member (Stake High Council or Ward Bishopric) will be appointed to ensure the court is completly honest and fair. Note also that this will be done very privately and very few ward or stake members will ever know.

Bishops Court: The court consists of the three members of the ward bishopric. They may consider the matter of excommunication for any member of the Church living in the ward except for a member who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood. The bishop’s court, however, may render a decision of disfellowshipment or probation for any member of the ward, including Melchizedek Priesthood holders.

Stake High Council Court, on the other hand, is under the direction of the stake president and consists of the stake presidency and members of the high council. This court has the authority to conduct hearings for any member of the Church residing in that stake, and they have jurisdiction over both Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood holders and may impose a decision of excommunication where appropriate.

All Church courts usually convene after fasting and prayer. Total justice and harmony with the revealed word of the Lord become the prime objectives of a Church court. Judgment that is too light or too harsh often defeats the purposes of the Lord. No case should be prejudged. Only after hearing the facts and judging the spirit of the individual can proper justice be administered.

A fair hearing and a final decision of the court, ratified by the gifts of the Spirit, will always be in the best interest of the member being tried.

Far more important than the transgression is what is in the heart of the individual who seeks repentance. Some members are not sorry for what they have done. They are only sorry that they have been caught.

In the words of President Kimball, “Blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled.”

Even excommunication from the Church need not be the end of all hope. Although the mistake has been a grievous and serious violation of God’s commandments, a person who really loves the Lord and has the desire and the fortitude to submit himself to priesthood authority can reestablish his life and in due process qualify himself for the lofty and ultimate blessings of eternity, including exaltation. Even the gross offender will be welcomed back by the Lord: “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow” (Isa. 1:18)—what a great promise, what a great redemption! But this cannot happen without complete repentance, and complete repentance involves the formula we talked about before: that we confess, that we forsake.

I have know several members who have been disfellowshipped as well as excommunicated. Some have repented, returned, and have become great examples in later years. Still others have not.

A good read is "The Miracle of Forgiveness by President Kimball. This is available in paperback as well as hard copy.

Good Luck.

As a word of counsel,

Acknowlegment and taking responsibility for ones sins is a giant first step.

The simple formula for repentance is found in the Doctrine and Covenants: 58:43“ By this ye may know if a man.

“Confess and forsake”—both are difficult to achieve in the negative climate of pride, arrogance, selfishness, and fear; both so possible in the framework of faith, love, humility, and courage.

God loves you and wants you to return to him, but remember, Satan will see this as a gigantic opportunity to tempt one in believing that forgiveness is not possible. ;)

Sorry I realized after reading my prior post, I was thinking faster than I was typing and left out part. As a word of counsel,

Acknowlegment and taking responsibility for ones sins is a giant first step.

The simple formula for repentance is found in the Doctrine and Covenants: 58:43“ By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.

“Confess and forsake”—both are difficult to achieve in the negative climate of pride, arrogance, selfishness, and fear; both so possible in the framework of faith, love, humility, and courage.

God loves you and wants you to return to him, but remember, Satan will see this as a gigantic opportunity to tempt one in believing that forgiveness is not possible. ;)

If you look through the blogs, there was a member of the site who recently went through this and they wrote about it. Maybe look in there for some perspective.

Good Luck on Sunday. I wish I could help you more than that.

Here's the member's profile with all the blogs.

AnnieO’s Profile » LDS Mormon Network: LDS Mormon Chat, Forums, Beliefs, Blogs

Hope it helps you, okforall. Best wishes.

I have sat on about half a dozen disciplinary councils while a member of the Stake High Council. Before the Bishop and ward member are brought in the members of the High Council draw numbers to determine the sitting order in the council. Normally they sit by time on the High Council. The person who draws the number 1 is to make sure that the members rights are repesented. The person who draws number 2 makes sure that the rights of the church are protected.

Once the peson is brought in and the Stake President usually takes the lead to discuss why member is there. Member then covers why they are there and desire to continue the repentance process and do what is necessary to be returned to full membership. This can be from nothing to excommunication.

As someone has already posted the outcome is most driven by members level of heartfelt repentance. I have seen people try to put on a face and pull one over on the Lord and I have seen others truly repentant and there for whatever the results.

Go in a spirit of fasting and prayer and good luck.

Ben Raines

I'm doing what my Bishop has asked me to do. My situation is one where no restitution is possible. No marriage was broken up. I am so lost as to how to show my sincere efforts to do what's right. So far it is only superficial with no real way to show how sorry I am. I am hoping for the best but am expecting the worst.

I'm doing what my Bishop has asked me to do. My situation is one where no restitution is possible. No marriage was broken up. I am so lost as to how to show my sincere efforts to do what's right. So far it is only superficial with no real way to show how sorry I am. I am hoping for the best but am expecting the worst.

Be sure and follow his guidelines and that will help you. My advise is for you to do exactly what he says and nothing but good should come from it..Good Luck to you and pray always!!!:)

I may be in the wrong here, but I feel if this is a personal matter between a husband and wife, the church has no business intervening here, it is just that, personal business that shold be handled by the husband and wife. How can you say it is for love, when you kick a member out when they are at their lowest?

I am not privy to the situation as it is none of my business, but our membership in the church is based on covenants that we make with the Lord when we are baptized and also when we enter the temple for the first time. Our membership rights and privileges are based on our worthiness and those covenants that we have made.

No Michael, not a marital issue. I am divorced, have been for three years. Hey I knew the rules. I was the one who looked the other way and didn't keep the commandments. I can't expect them to look the other way. There was no crime here from a civil standpoint so there is nothing I can repay or restore. I suppose the love aspect is they love me enough to make sure I have a second chance to make it to the CK.

I suppose I just see it the other way. I feel if it is a personal issue between a husband/wife, the church has no right to intervene in personal matters. That would be like the government trying to punish a husband for cheating on his wife. What gives the government the right to punish someone for that?

I am sorry I have started an argument or a problem here. If the director or whoever is in charge could just delete the thread that would be great.

No worries. You didn't start anything and Michael is sharing an honest concern. I see no need to delete this thread. On the contrary, it may even help someone down the road who may find themselves in a similar situation. No harm.

I suppose I just see it the other way. I feel if it is a personal issue between a husband/wife, the church has no right to intervene in personal matters. That would be like the government trying to punish a husband for cheating on his wife. What gives the government the right to punish someone for that?

He said it's not a marital issue. You're making assumptions, bud.

I may be in the wrong here, but I feel if this is a personal matter between a husband and wife, the church has no business intervening here, it is just that, personal business that shold be handled by the husband and wife. How can you say it is for love, when you kick a member out when they are at their lowest?

you are entitled to your opinion....however when one confesses something to his or her church authority then sometimes the Church takes action....gives guidelines to help the person repent and to help them straighten their life out. Nothing but good comes from it...unless the individual chooses not to make it work.