Question on Re-baptism?

Jonathon

Greetings,

I TiVod General Conference this weekend, and toward the end, during President Monson's last talk, he said the following:

"My dear brothers and sisters,

I love you, and I pray for you. Please, pray for me, and together we will reap the blessings our Heavenly Father has in store for each one of us. This is my prayer, my plea, as I add my testimony. This work is true. "

As he spoke those words, I was overcome with emotion. I immediately thought of the scripture in St. Luke 22:31-32:

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen they bretheren.

It is amazing that the Lord said these words to Peter before he denied the Lord three times, and yet said, "I have prayed for thee."

As President Monson uttered his words in General Conference, I felt a pull toward the Church that I have not felt in years. I saw a man with strength of character, who in humility, requested prayer.

And so, I would ask that you pray for me! I joined the Church when I was 15, but due to doctrinal differences and a family that strongly desired that I not be a part of the Church, I ended up resigning at 19 years old. I am nearly twenty-eight, and have spent the last nine years studying many different faiths, including pursuing full time vocational ministry. However, I am sensing a pull back toward the LDS Church that is very intense.

Can anyone give me information on what the process is for someone who had been a member of the Church, was removed from Church records, and then has a desires to return? Will the individual be treated as a brand new investigator, receiving the missionary discussions, and being re-baptized?

Has anyone here gone through this process?

The BIG step would be to talk with the Bishop of your ward.

Your mini-steps would be to:

- pray

- read the Book of Mormon

- Attend Sacrament meeting

- Stay for the other meetings

I don't have any practical experience with your situation, but I advise to "wade in the water" before diving in. (Puns fully intended!)

Will the individual be treated as a brand new investigator

Pretty much. You well have to go through the discussions and go through the process any "non member" has to go through. I do think you have extra interviews (maybe with a Stake President or with the Mission President) I'm not sure.

Why did you leave? And why do you want to come back?

Tubaloth,

My story is long and complex. If you are interested in my story of religious experiences throughout my life, I would be more than happy to e-mail it to you. However, it probably wouldn't be appropriate to post on a public forum. I can simplify it by saying that I was raised in a home where there were lots of different religions, philosophies, and spiritual ideas thrown at me from a very early age. That combined with a father who, at the time, was very anti-Mormon and who I wanted to please plus a lot of emotional trauma in my home my senior year of high school is what lead to my resignation from the LDS Church.

As far as my desire to return. I must say that I posted on this forum to seek your prayers. I can't say I am fully ready to take the steps of re-joining the Church at this time. However, over the years I have kept "tabs" on the Church by watching General Conference from time to time. This year I watched the entire conference, and was particularly moved by President Monson's talks.

I will pray and seek our Father in Heaven for guidance. If it is His will for me to return and He confirms this through the Holy Ghost, I will return.

Tubaloth,

My story is long and complex. If you are interested in my story of religious experiences throughout my life, I would be more than happy to e-mail it to you. However, it probably wouldn't be appropriate to post on a public forum. I can simplify it by saying that I was raised in a home where there were lots of different religions, philosophies, and spiritual ideas thrown at me from a very early age. That combined with a father who, at the time, was very anti-Mormon and who I wanted to please plus a lot of emotional trauma in my home my senior year of high school is what lead to my resignation from the LDS Church.

As far as my desire to return. I must say that I posted on this forum to seek your prayers. I can't say I am fully ready to take the steps of re-joining the Church at this time. However, over the years I have kept "tabs" on the Church by watching General Conference from time to time. This year I watched the entire conference, and was particularly moved by President Monson's talks.

I will pray and seek our Father in Heaven for guidance. If it is His will for me to return and He confirms this through the Holy Ghost, I will return.

Jonathon, I'm a convert that studied many denominations and spent hours in meetings with ministers of churches discussing the restored gospel. The Holy Spirit testified to me of the truth and I asked to be baptized a Latter-Day Saint. I know what it's like to have many philosophies and religious beliefs contending for what is true in your heart, but when the Holy Spirit testified of the truth, it no longer mattered who I had spoken with or what I had read. The power of the Lord to change men's hearts is greater than all the philosophies of men put together. Reading and analyzing is good, but what we need to give us faith and testimony is a personal touch from the Divine. Every person is promised that if they will exercise the smallest amount of faith, sincerely ask for the forgiveness of their sins, and live the teachings of Christ, we will receive that touch. What you've recognized is the Spirit of the Lord calling you back. I believe with all my heart that's what the Lord wants. If I can be of any help to you in that regard, don't hesitate to message me.

Guest User-Removed

Pulling this from the reccesses of my fading memory...I recall a good friend who "resigned" from the Church. When she desired to return...she was welcomed by her Bishop and Ward with open arms. The Bishop gave her the choice of whether or not she wanted to be baptised again. She did, due to certain lifestyle issues she had engaged in.

She told me years later that her most lucid memory of the event was the fact that she was welcomed sand embraced by the membership of her ward...as she said...it was like I never left.

Guest GhostRider

Like so many others here i also am a new convert. My story is also long and complex. And i also went to many different denominations. the thing that struck me was how open and genuine the welcome that i got from my wards. yes wards. the missonaries neglected to tell me about the time change thing. we laugh about it now. but. seriously. will be praying for you jonathon

Hello Jonathon! I am impressed by your story. Impressed that you would search so long and so hard....

It takes a lot of faith and deep questioning to follow such a path. That alone is admirable. I don't know exactly what is drawing you back, but I am glad! Perhaps there was great purpose in the road and experiences you have traveled. God most certainly will use your wisdom in some beautiful way.

I think each person that returns is met with an openness and a desire to meet their personal needs. If you are indeed ready to return, your local bishop is the first you should contact. And he will work with you to determine what your needs are.....spiritual and otherwise. There are lots of different scenerios. Perhaps the discussions could come again.....maybe by some local missionaries or home teachers. I will agree with the others above, that the most important thing you could do now is add the BofM to your daily schedule. If you don't already pray, then add that too. And just start going to church. Remember, church is a place for everyone! It is a hospital not a country club. Everyone is welcome....no matter what!!! Even if you come in blue jeans......

This conference was particularly good. I was amazed at how many talks addressed the many threads and discussions on this very board. I felt such clarity and peace and renewed testimony and commitment in my heart.

I for one, would love to learn about your journey....if you feel so inclined to share. And I would love to hear about what feelings are leading you back to this church. You are welcome to PM me anytime.

Looking forward to getting to know you.....

All the best, MH

PS. ex19, I would love to hear more about your story too!^_^

It seems there is nothing else to say as everyone else has given you such good advice. I would like to echo my brothers and sisters in welcoming you back to the fold and asking you to talk with your local bishop. I am sure his help and guidance will be very helpful to your decision process.

best wishes and again welcome back

Jonathan,

You have my prayers.

I just wanted to pipe in and say I think I know how you feel.

I converted at 13, near the age you did.

While it never dissapeared, my testimony did falter after i graduated highschool. I think I was searching for reasons the church was false.:o

I even tried to go to other churches. I did alot of research, dragged my husband to all kinds of services.

But, I never felt peace with any of them. I always felt the 'pull' you described back towards the LDS church.

My testimony is now back with full force. Maybe I needed that time to struggle, to truly gain a testimony. It came easily at 13, but was harder to have as I entered adulthood. Maybe every body needs a test of faith to fully gain a testimony.

I emphathize with your struggle and will keep you in my prayers. There is no denying the 'pull' of the church. Someone it definitely trying to tell us something. :)

Fiona,

Thank you.. It's amazing how far a little empathy goes. Just reading your response was a great encouragement. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has wrestled through these things.

Peace to you.

Hi Jonathon ... I am getting rebaptized on April 19th. I resigned from the church 4 years ago. I had many questions about the rationality of faith. To unite my marriage, I joined the Catholic church, but just like you described, I felt a pull back to my Mormon roots. President Monson's talk deeply touched me. I was waivering a bit in my decision to get rebaptized because of the possible turmoil it could create in my marriage. But after feeling the spirit so strongly in conference, I'm now certain I've made the right decision.

The only thing I had to do was meet with the stake president, and then my bishop. They will ask you about any sins or transgressions that might require a probation period. In my case, there wasn't anything that would prevent me from being rebaptized right away.

The bishop has to fill out a baptismal recommend form for you, and on it, it will say: readmission.

The instructions for all of this are on page 149 of the Church Handbook. My bishop is new so he had to look it up.

Good luck to you, and welcome back to the fold!

• 3 months later...

Pretty much. You well have to go through the discussions and go through the process any "non member" has to go through.

This is not entirely true. While your Bishop and your Stake President may suggest you have the missionary lessons, there is no church policy requirement for that. Truly, the only requirement for rebaptism is that a Disciplinary Council make the decision that you be allowed to be rebaptised

Johnathan Gospel in a beautiful thing. It seems amidst all the turmoil you did not lose your testimony. I for one would also love to read your "Work in Progress" maybe we could collaborate as I have a daughter in a similar situation as yourself. It is so humbling to read your words and feel your courage.

I have barely touched the surface of my own conversion process here..also a work in progress...I feel our lives on this earth, our conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ is an ongoing process. We may lose our way on some issues, only to find it again strong and confident.

My suggestion..find the meeting house in your area, or better yet call church headquarters and get the info,,they may give you the name of local leaders so you can get the meeting schedule and then just go....talk to the Bishop or Branch president...they will guide you every step of the way.

Joni