What are the Laws?

"Our religion is nothing more nor less than the true order of heaven—the system of laws by which the gods and the angels are governed. Are they governed by law? Certainly. There is no being in all the eternities but what is governed by law (DBY, 1)."

Laws for All

Law of Obedience: LDS.org - Ensign Article - Obedience

Obedience is the first law of heaven, and it is obedience to the laws of God that I should like to talk about particularly, because these laws affect not only our happiness and well-being here upon the earth, but are essential to our eternal life.

Law of Agency:

LDS.org - Aaronic Priesthood Chapter Detail - Agency: A Gift from God LDS.org - Ensign Article - Walking in Pathways of Happiness
The law of agency provides each of us with the opportunity to choose happiness or misery, demonstrating to our Heavenly Father the innermost desires of our heart.
Vision's View: These laws are part of our decision to come to Earth, from our Pre-Mortal state. It is because of these laws that we were able to come here, at all.

Old Laws

Law of Moses: (The 10 Commandments, Law of Cleanliness) looking for material

Law of the Sabbath: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Lord's Day

Ever since Adam’s day the divine law of the Sabbath has been emphasized repeatedly over the centuries more than any other commandment. This long emphasis alone is an indication of its importance. In Genesis, we learn that God himself set the example for us in the creation of the earth:

Law of Tithing:

Numbers 18 Doctrine and Covenants 119

Law of the Fast: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Law of the Fast

The law of the fast is basic in the Church. Isaiah declared:

“Is not this the fast that I have chosen?

“… Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry?” (Isa. 58:6–7.)

Like many other biblical practices, it was restored by the Lord in our day through the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Law of Sacrifice and Offerings: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Law of Sacrifice
Adam and Eve were taught the law of sacrifice and were commanded to practice it by giving offerings.

And behold, this is the whole meaning of the law, every whit pointing to that great and last sacrifice; and that great and last sacrifice will be the Son of God, yea, infinite and eternal

After His mortal ministry, Christ elevated the law of sacrifice to a new level. In describing how the law would continue, Jesus told his Nephite Apostles that He would no longer accept burnt offerings but that His disciples should offer “a broken heart and a contrite spirit”

Vision's View: I call these "Old Laws" not because they're outdated, but because they're recognized by Judaism as well as Christianity, and have a strong history in the Bible.

Laws of Purity

Law of Chastity: LDS.org - New Era Article - The Law of Chastity

From the beginning of time, the Lord has set a clear and unmistakable standard of sexual purity. It always has been, it is now, and it always will be the same. That standard is the law of chastity.
Law of Health (includes the Word of Wisdom): LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - The Lord's Law of Health
The Word of Wisdom does not tell us everything to avoid, but it does give us guidelines. It is a valuable temporal law. It is also a great spiritual law. By living the Word of Wisdom, we become stronger spiritually. We purify our bodies so the Spirit of the Lord can dwell with us.

When we keep the Lord’s law of health and obey his other commandments, the Lord promises to bless us physically and spiritually.

Vision's View: While ALL laws are meant to make us pure, these two laws specifically are meant to keep our minds and bodies clean and pure, as well.

Christian Laws

Law of Repentance: LDS.org - Liahona Article - The Gospel of Repentance

The Lord knows, as do we, the degree of full and sufficient compliance we make with these fundamental aspects of the law of repentance, which is really God’s law of progress and fulfillment.
Law of Forgiveness: LDS.org - Ensign Article - In Remembrance of Jesus
Jesus taught how to progress beyond the behavioral law of Moses when He gave the Beatitudes and the Lord’s Prayer. He taught a law of love, a law of forgiveness of one another.

Law of Justice and Mercy:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Great Plan of Happiness
Through the infinite Atonement, God has provided a means whereby we can both overcome our sins and become completely clean again. This is made possible by the eternal law of mercy. Mercy satisfies the claims of justice through our repentance and the power of the Atonement. Without the power of the Atonement and our complete repentance, we are subject to the law of justice.
Law of Service: LDS.org - Relief Society Chapter Detail - The Divine Nature of Service
Let sincere men and women the world over unite in earnest effort to supplant feelings of selfishness, hatred, animosity, greed, by the law of service to others, and thereby promote the peace and happiness of mankind
Vision's View: I call these "Christian Laws," because they are those given by and emphasized by Christ during his ministry on Earth. Christianity in general recognizes these laws, including Latter-day Saints. A look at these laws will show that they're all laws of love. The Savior's love for us, our love for Him, and our love for one another.

Higher Laws

Law of the New Everlasting Covenant: Doctrine and Covenants 132

Also the Law of the Holy Priesthood?

Law of Consecration: Doctrine and Covenants 105 and Doctrine and Covenants 42

Entered into by a new and everlasting covenant.

Law of the Holy Ghost: Doctrine and Covenants 132

Laws of the Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial Kingdoms: Doctrine and Covenants 88

Celestial Law is the Law of the Priesthood. LDS.org - Relief Society Chapter Detail - The Gospel Defined

When we talk of the celestial law which is revealed from heaven, that is, the Priesthood, we are talking about the principle of salvation, a perfect system of government, of laws and ordinances, by which we can be prepared to pass from one gate to another, and from one sentinel to another, until we go into the presence of our Father and God.
Vision's View: These "Higher" laws are given unto those who enter into it. (The New and Everlasting Covenant.) Those who have not received the Gospel or the ordinances prior to it and not bound by them, because they have not received and covenanted into them.

However, one must make it their goal to enter into this covenant, as it is a requirement for exaltation.

The Terrestrial and Telestial laws don't quite fit here. But they are the laws for those who don't or won't receive the Higher, Celestial Law.

Please contribute!

Laws of the Church

Law of the Lord/Church: Doctrine and Covenants 42

In this sense, the law of the Lord is a revelation of His character and attributes.

From the Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, pg. 82

Law of the Gospel: Doctrine and Covenants 104

Law of Common Consent: Doctrine and Covenants 26

Law of Witnesses:
Doctrine and Covenants 6 LDS.org - Ensign Article - Witnesses LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Witness: Martin Harris

Vision's View: These are all Laws concerning Christ's Church. The Law of the Church and Gospel are those that deal with the purpose of the Church, and the Law of Common Consent and Witnesses deal with the establishing of the Church and spreading the Gospel.

Extra Laws

Law of Plural Marriages: Doctrine and Covenants 132 not given unto the Children of Men. Mastery of this law, currently, means having 1 wife.

Vision's View: For the Law of Plural Marriages, I don't have another spot for it, because right now it's "inactive." The Lord has revealed that if we tried to keep to this law, the law's of man would persecute us and prevent us from establishing Zion. So, we're not to practice this law until He gives us the go ahead.

• 2 months later...

The core Laws of God are the following:

The Law of Sacrifice - under the Aaronic Priesthood it is sacrifice of animals, under the Melchizedek Priesthood it is the sacrifice of a broken heart and contrite spirit (3 Ne 9-10), which humbles us enough to receive the higher laws and ordinances of God.

The Law of the Gospel - this includes the restored teachings of Christ as found in the New Testament, particularly IMO, the teachings from the Sermon on the Mount. It can also include the concept of the two great commandments: Love God and Love thy Neighbor.

The Law of Chastity - this represents our becoming faithful to a familial relationship. If we cannot be faithful with a spouse we are with, how can we be faithful to the unseen God? The scriptures are filled with warnings to be chaste, and avoiding all sexual sin.

The Law of Consecration - As we see in Acts 5, 4 Nephi, and D&C 82 (etc) it is the concept of devoting our whole lives to God. We are to develop talents and then place them in the bishop's storehouse for the benefit of the family/community. "Each seeking the welfare of his neighbor" and the concept that all are to be equal in temporal things if we ever wish to be equal in spiritual and eternal things.

• 4 weeks later...

"Our religion is nothing more nor less than the true order of heaven—the system of laws by which the gods and the angels are governed. Are they governed by law? Certainly. There is no being in all the eternities but what is governed by law (DBY, 1)."

Please contribute!

Another law is to not bear false witness and yet another is that God cannot lie and is true to His word in that He upholds it higher than His name.

Per the teachings of Jesus,

Mt 4:4; ”It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

John 6:63,64; "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you who do not believe."

John 7:16,17; "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority."

John 14:23,24; "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me."

Mt 23:8-12; "But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren."

John 15:9,10; "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you, abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love."

http://www.onediscipletoanother.org

So, if these words are true, then if we don't at least will to keep His word, as given once for all, then is our faith in vain? When Jesus said: "It is finished", what was finished? Did Jesus give new teachings after the resurrection? or did He reveal the depth of what had already been said or taken place?

Is the gospel eternal?

I think it is.

Therefore, anything not clearly traceable to the words given at the beginning I believe I must reject.

I'm wondering about the quote of D&C 132 as the law of the Holy Spirit. How so?

No words on 132?

Anyway, in my listing of the commandments and precepts of Jesus there are over 200 in both Matthew and Luke and 70 or so in Mark and John was profound enough that I hesitate to say, except there must be over 100.

As Jesus said, 'Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven'. I'm sure angels have a lot of laws, but wasn't it Paul who said that keeping the commandments of Jesus is a joy and not a grief to bear?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have been AWOL.

I will look your contribution over when I have time and can focus.

The Law of the Holy Ghost is that sins against the Holy Ghost are unforgiveable. I didn't keep all my references to it...

Was it Jesus who said that if we speak blasphemy against the Holy Ghost that it is unforgivable? Can't say as I've seen a link to all sins against the Holy Ghost...although I'm wondering about the ways that the Lord might consider a sin to be a sin against the Holy Ghost. He was speaking about those who said He was healing by the power of Satan or demons or something like that. Do you think Jesus' power to heal was the Holy Ghost?

We've been taught that it is very difficult to deny/sin against the Holy Ghost. Alma, in speaking with Corianton, told him that the three worse sins were sexual sin, murder and denying the Holy Ghost (from bad to worst).

Joseph Smith stated that one would have to have a full knowledge of Jesus Christ, and then become his absolute enemy, killing the innocent, and loving evil, to be a Son of Perdition. As far we we know, the only person who has certainly achieved that title in mortality is Cain.

Most of us mortals will deal with escaping the punishments awaiting those who deserve the Telestial Kingdom. These are individuals who oppose God on many levels, but just not on the deepest level. These ARE the adulterers and murderers.

Perhaps there should be some discussion of the purpose of the law...

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe...

--Romans 3:20-22 (NIV)

This may have already been stated elsewhere, but I just learned about it personally last night. You may already know about this yourself, but I didn't realize/understand it till last night.

Yesterday I got to go to the Detroit Temple and was baptised and confirmed for the dead. I did experience a witness by the holy ghost that this was true and righteous and a good thing. So afterwards as I was laying in bed before sleep, I was reading up on baptism for the dead starting in the D&C section 124 in verse 29.

I then realized something about the law of consequence. It's not just that you can't pick what consequence follows sin, but it's not always who gets in trouble is the same, such as it might not be you, who when failing to complete a commandment, be the one at fault, or if you were relying on another who sinned, you might be included. It seems it is very specific by sin, usually outlined in the covenant or commandment, but I think it falls within the law of consequence as it's not just what happens, but who it happens to. These are the two examples I found in Section 124 ~

29 For a baptismal font there is not upon the earth, that they, my saints, may be baptized for those who are dead—

30 For this ordinance belongeth to my house, and cannot be acceptable to me, only in the days of your poverty, wherein ye are not able to build a house unto me.

31 But I command you, all ye my saints, to build a house unto me; and I grant unto you a sufficient time to build a house unto me; and during this time your baptisms shall be acceptable unto me.

32 But behold, at the end of this appointment your baptisms for your dead shall not be acceptable unto me; and if you do not these things at the end of the appointment ye shall be rejected as a church, with your dead, saith the Lord your God.

Here it seems that the dead were tied into this covenants consequence. The dead who have to completely rely on their mortal brethren and sisters to do their work for them, would be rejected if we messed up with the work for the dead.

In the same section of 124

49 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.

50 And the iniquity and transgression of my holy laws and commandments I will visit upon the heads of those who hindered my work, unto the third and fourth generation, so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord God.

51 Therefore, for this cause have I accepted the offerings of those whom I commanded to build up a city and a house unto my name, in Jackson county, Missouri, and were hindered by their enemies, saith the Lord your God.

And here it puts the consequence of failing i.e. breaking covenants onto those who caused the failure to do the work of the lord and not on those who were doing the work and were stopped.

Then I remembered Jacob talking about how leaders were responsible for their subjects actions, and Lehi's blessing on his posterity how if the parents stayed true to the lord and raised their children right, it would be good, else if they strayed, and raised their children wrong, the sins of the children would be held to the parents.

Sorry if this has been stated before, but I just wanted to share my realization with other people. To me it seems that the Law of consequences only gets said as if it's just the consequence that you can't determine. It's also the person who gets the consequence that you have no control over as it is already determined and stated in whatever covenant. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know all about our dealings, and they are just and merciful in their dealings with us unruly children.

Just thought I would share this even if you already know. I hope I didn't confuse anybody.

Edit part~~A further realization I had like two seconds after I posted. When you sin, this can prove in certain circumstances that you definitely can harm other people and you can't rationalize it away that it only affects yourself.

Edited by Spacemecha
horrible sentence structure

• 2 weeks later...

The core Laws of God are the following:

The Law of Sacrifice - under the Aaronic Priesthood it is sacrifice of animals, under the Melchizedek Priesthood it is the sacrifice of a broken heart and contrite spirit (3 Ne 9-10), which humbles us enough to receive the higher laws and ordinances of God.

The Law of the Gospel - this includes the restored teachings of Christ as found in the New Testament, particularly IMO, the teachings from the Sermon on the Mount. It can also include the concept of the two great commandments: Love God and Love thy Neighbor.

The Law of Chastity - this represents our becoming faithful to a familial relationship. If we cannot be faithful with a spouse we are with, how can we be faithful to the unseen God? The scriptures are filled with warnings to be chaste, and avoiding all sexual sin.

The Law of Consecration - As we see in Acts 5, 4 Nephi, and D&C 82 (etc) it is the concept of devoting our whole lives to God. We are to develop talents and then place them in the bishop's storehouse for the benefit of the family/community. "Each seeking the welfare of his neighbor" and the concept that all are to be equal in temporal things if we ever wish to be equal in spiritual and eternal things.

I think the core Law of God is found in Genesis - Deuteronomy (the Torah). Jesus even affirms this:

Love God with all your being (Deut 6:5)

Love your neighbor as yourself (Lev 19:18)

Sacrificial Laws (Lev 1-9, 16-17, 19)

Tithing was taught in several places in the Torah as well as taking care of the priests needs, which were met largely through eating certain offerings.

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are the core Torah.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps there should be some discussion of the purpose of the law...

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe...

--Romans 3:20-22 (NIV)

If we are damned to the lake of fire law only served a purpose of making us guilty. But law for the saved from that place will effect degrees of reward, positions, privileges, or places. To pass the judgement people have to be declared righteous through faith on whatever law they pass.

• 1 month later...

In other religions they refer to a law called "The law of karma"...I'm not totally familiar with their belief in this law, but from what I've heard it made me wander where such wisdom fits into the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Or, if it should fit at all???

From what I understand Karma is like the laws of Cause and Effect. I believe the Gospel does outline this principal, but I always wander which law or laws BEST outline such meanings. Perhaps it is as simple as "Blessings given" and "Blessings taken away" according to our choices.

In other religions they refer to a law called "The law of karma"...I'm not totally familiar with their belief in this law, but from what I've heard it made me wander where such wisdom fits into the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Or, if it should fit at all???

From what I understand Karma is like the laws of Cause and Effect. I believe the Gospel does outline this principal, but I always wander which law or laws BEST outline such meanings. Perhaps it is as simple as "Blessings given" and "Blessings taken away" according to our choices.

That's an easy one!:-) Jesus said a man will reap what he sows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This expression: "Obedience is the first law of heaven" is not in the scriptures. Surely, obedience is a true and important principle, but is it really the "first law of heaven"? But even if it is, I truly believe when obedience is taught, the following needs to also be taught:

In any dictatorial system (the extreme norm throughout the history of mankind) it is very clear: OBEDIENCE truly is the first, and really the only law! Bossy husbands, bossy wives, bossy bosses, bossy kings, etc all DEMAND complete obedience right now!

When I read the Mormon accounts of Adam and Eve, it is story of disobedience, and yet it was still best that Adam and Eve disobeyed!

"And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient. "

The errors we make can always be blessings if we simply learn from them. God wants us to seek happiness, and to be true to our own selves. The principle of total obedience without it coming truly from the heart is not the object of God. He wants us to grow and progress and gain happiness, and gives us lots of room to disobey various laws and truths, learn from our errors, and then gain forgiveness through the atonement.

I am sure in Heaven there is strict obedience to the laws of Heaven. But it is an obedience founded on love, understanding and trust.

Richard

It is absolutely a gospel principle...

76 And now behold, is the meaning of the word restoration, to take a thing of a natural state, and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature?

77 O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration, is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish; good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful;

78 Therefore, my son, see that ye are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things, then shall ye receive your reward;

79 Yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again;

80 And ye shall have good rewarded unto you again; for that which ye do send out, shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore the word restoration, more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all.

[Alma 19]

Edited by TeancumsSword

I just posted a lengthier piece in the personal beliefs section on salvation and the Law. My general observations are:

1. The Mosaic Law is more complex, but easier, because it only addresses actions.

2. Jesus discards many rituals and regulations, but raises the bar on core righteousness. It's no longer enough not to commit adultery--you can't even lust. It's not enough to refrain from murder, you must avoid condemning with curses and loud judgments.

3. Despite the higher standards Jesus calls us to, we are well able to succeed, because, as the Prophet Zecharia declares (4:6): It's not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord. And, since we now have the Spirit of God (Acts 1:8), we can allow our lives to shout of God's glory, so that our quiet but confident words will cut through hearts like a double-edged sword.

Edited by prisonchaplain
format