The Mormon view on prophets

Well, some was original, but most was culled from my lengthy and decades-long search for truth. Like Hemi, I search far and wide for truth, and when I find it I usually grab the info and keep it in a text file on my hard drive. Some of my favorite grazing places:

The Biblical Archaeology Review magazine

Meridian magazine

Sunstone

Mormon Stories

Dialog

lds.org

FAIRlds.org

FARMS

eyring-l email list

Joyous World

plus various buddhist, reiki, taoist, mystical, hermetic, kaballist, many university libraries, Yahoo group Mormon-Mystic, and many more, too many to list here. I gather truth from wherever I find it, as directed by Brigham Young, Hugh Nibley and many, many other great LDS role models.

(And if anyone is wondering, yes, I am most certainly active in the Church.)

HiJolly

BYU Library & Lectures series

Joseph Smith Library

Science and Mormonism Lectures

Early church documents

History books

Various LDS presses

Earlier NT time scrolls from various writers

Goggle Books - some are very old and can easily be PDF to harddrive.

Every conference talk

on so on.

BYU Library & Lectures series

Joseph Smith Library

Science and Mormonism Lectures

Early church documents

History books

Various LDS presses

Earlier NT time scrolls from various writers

Goggle Books - some are very old and can easily be PDF to harddrive.

Every conference talk

on so on.

I'm thinking your list is a bit more LDS-centric than mine, but that's cool. Hmm... That just made me think -- its been a long time since I read from my copy of the Bhagavad Gita -- I'll have to give it another read, when I find the time...

HiJolly

That's good to know. so all those things that you said prophets have done are in different sources? Where exactly? it looks like it would have come from the same sourse?

But i look forward to reading each one.

I believe I gave a biblical reference for each of those points on the 'prophet' list. And I surely don't recall which source I originally pulled the article from.

At first, I didn't worry about attribution of sources, because I never thought I'd ever be sharing any of the info. It was purely for my own reading, learning and enjoyment. Now, of course, I am sharing, and I regret when I find I did not attribute a source. My bad. I just did a google on some of those entries, and was not able to find the original article. Sorry.

HiJolly

I believe I gave a biblical reference for each of those points on the 'prophet' list. And I surely don't recall which source I originally pulled the article from.

At first, I didn't worry about attribution of sources, because I never thought I'd ever be sharing any of the info. It was purely for my own reading, learning and enjoyment. Now, of course, I am sharing, and I regret when I find I did not attribute a source. My bad. I just did a google on some of those entries, and was not able to find the original article. Sorry.

HiJolly

no worries.

I'm thinking your list is a bit more LDS-centric than mine, but that's cool. Hmm... That just made me think -- its been a long time since I read from my copy of the Bhagavad Gita -- I'll have to give it another read, when I find the time...

HiJolly

Actually, I am like you but I don't usually post the references.

Well, some was original, but most was culled from my lengthy and decades-long search for truth. Like Hemi, I search far and wide for truth, and when I find it I usually grab the info and keep it in a text file on my hard drive. Some of my favorite grazing places:

The Biblical Archaeology Review magazine

Meridian magazine

Sunstone

Mormon Stories

Dialog

lds.org

FAIRlds.org

FARMS

eyring-l email list

Joyous World

plus various buddhist, reiki, taoist, mystical, hermetic, kaballist, many university libraries, Yahoo group Mormon-Mystic, and many more, too many to list here. I gather truth from wherever I find it, as directed by Brigham Young, Hugh Nibley and many, many other great LDS role models.

(And if anyone is wondering, yes, I am most certainly active in the Church.)

HiJolly

Hi Hi,

Is the eyring-l email list still active?

Great resources!

Elphaba

Hi Hi,

Is the eyring-l email list still active?

Yes, it is. The last 2 or 3 months it has been especially active. New blood helps, and several new folks have joined. It really hurt a couple years back when Marc Shindler passed away, and now this last year Preston Bissel passed away.

Carl is still pushing his idiosyncratic view of ID. Some things never change...

HiJolly

HiJolly this was an awesome thread!!! Thanks so much!!! I, like Tomk, am put off by long threads. I only get on the internet while I work, so I cant put too much time into them. But I'm definately going to check this all out. I just wanted to say thanks while I have the chance.

You rock!:D

Yes, it is. The last 2 or 3 months it has been especially active. New blood helps, and several new folks have joined. It really hurt a couple years back when Marc Shindler passed away, and now this last year Preston Bissel passed away.

Yes, I remember when Marc passed away, but am shocked Preston is gone.

In fact, I've looked for him elsewhere off and on, and wondered why he disappeared. I loved his perspective, and am extremely sad to hear he is gone.

I am just too stupid for that list. :P

Elphaba

Yes, I remember when Marc passed away, but am shocked Preston is gone.

In fact, I've looked for him elsewhere off and on, and wondered why he disappeared. I loved his perspective, and am extremely sad to hear he is gone.

Yes, he had a serious stroke and died of complications almost a year later. I didn't really appreciate his basically faithless view, but his grasp of science was excellent - he taught me a lot.

I am just too stupid for that list. :P

I feel your pain. I remember about 15 years ago, the topic touched on baptism and whether or not it existed as the PofGP said, back in Adam's day. I posted a comment describing and providing evidence as to how it had existed LONG before Jesus' time, and (Mel, or was it Preston) told me to leave the thinking to the 'real' scientists.

LoL. I admit it, I'm just a lowly engineer...

HiJolly

Mel and I had a run in on that forum...I told him that the day will come that the 'Y' will need some cleansing.

Yup.

He proudly posted last year that during his son's farewell sacrament meeting, he(Mel) spoke for 15 minutes on how the Church is neutral on evolution and how the members have all got it wrong. He can be a real jerk, sometimes. But then, so can I. :(

HiJolly