when you prayed over the BoM...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It varies for each person but the answers are all fruits of the Holy Ghost. It's likely that the Lord answers each person in the way that this person will recognize. There is a thread dedicated to answer this particular question:

http://www.lds.net/forums/prayers-testimonies/10069-your-book-mormon-story.html

Edit: Some answers have come in all the forms you mentioned above. Typically it is a strong feeling of warmth and reassurance--a knowledge.

I have a question for all of you that prayed to see if the book of mormon is true or not

If you recieved an answer how did the answer come? Was it an audiable voice? A knowing? Someone confirmed your feelings?

As Skale remarked - it various on your own atunement with the Holy Ghost but for me, I didn't pray over a book but over whether or not this church is true and Joseph Smith was His prophet.

Guest tomk

My guess is the "witness" is different for each person. We are all distinct individuals. It would make sense that God would "witness" to us in different ways.

For me the witness has come in 2 ways:

1) An event. The first time I prayed about the book I felt a power fill my body like none other I had ever experienced. I don't have words for it -- I just know it was real, and I know God knows it. I dare not deny it, nor would I want to!

2) A deepening faith and testimony. There is something about the book -- it just FEELS GOOD and FEELS RIGHT to me as a person. When nobody else is around to influence me, when it is just me and the Book -- I just feel really good inside while reading it. I feel love from the Lord. I feel it so strong. I feel like the Book of Mormon is sort of a "love letter" from the Lord to me; evidence of His caring.

My expierence was after much prayer and reading I woke up and knew in my heart that it was true and I wanted to be a part of this church. Since that time, I have witnessed the miracle of forgiveness, prayer, and the power of the Priesthood which has continued to build my Testimony. Additionally, daily scripture study continues to feed the soul

I've always instinctively known it true, even growing up when I thought church sucked and really wanted to be doing other things. I've always known the Book of Mormon is true since the day my family started going to the LDS church, it's never been an issue. It's always rather baffled me that that isn't the experience of others.

how did you know it was true kosher?

also you said it baffles you that others do not think it is true.which brings me to another question..what would most lds say to people that have prayed over it and the answer was it's false. The holy spirit prompts them to stay away??? What then?

Guest tomk

i still want others to answer this question..but..for those that did answer..did you guys pray over the bible as well to see if it was true? or what did you do to make sure the bible was true? Also the other books..pearl of great price and D/C?

Interesting.

I have to admit I've never prayed about the truthfullness of those other books. Interestingly, none of them seem to contain such an obvious invitation and promise of a witness -- as does the Book of Mormon.

My knowledge of the Savior has progressed to the point where this does not concern me as much as perhaps it does others. I take no pride in this, and I do not suggest by saying this that the need is not there. I am simply saying that I no longer require such.

Tom

The Book of Mormon was written as another testament of Jesus Christ. The prophets in the BoM knew about their brothers in Israel and they knew what they were writing would stand up as a testimony to the testimony of the Jews. If one never knew about the Bible and received a witness of the Book of Mormon, they'd know that the Bible was true as well.

I have never had any trouble believing in God. I think I mostly attribute this to the efforts of both of my parents. They taught me early on that there was a God and that I had access to him through prayer. As a child I believe the words of my parents and others who taught me about a loving and wise Heavenly Father. Because of that faith, I was able to experience a witness of the Spirit early on, which strengthened even further my faith in God.

Prayer was a natural instrument of my faith. I can recall many times when I would turn to God in prayer for help, and He would help me. Like once when my brother and I were lost in a forest, it was natural for us to pray for help, and we really believed that God would help. Of course, He did help. I also remember being taught by the missionaries before my baptism. They taught me of the Plan of Salvation, and that I was a child of God. The Spirit of God was there, I felt it and have since learned to recognize His presence. The Spirit fills me with love, and I feel smarter or enlightened. Whenever I feel the influence of the Holy Ghost, I feel a desire to change my life for the better and to be more like the Savior. That's how I know what I am feeling is from God.

So, when I decided to ask God for my own witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, I knew how to ask, and I knew how the answer would come. Now, I'll be honest, I already believed it was true, and I believed in Jesus Christ. I had already applied the atoning blood of Christ in my life through repentance, and thus I knew Jesus was the Christ. I already believed that the Bible was the word of God as well. But I wanted to know for myself directly from God about the Book of Mormon, and by extension, about Joseph Smith. I was preparing to serve a mission, and I wanted to witness for myself these things before I taught others.

My answer didn't come right away. It came the next morning when I got up to read the scriptures. I was filled with the familiar peace of the Holy Ghost, but this time in a more pronounced way. I felt the distinct impression that God wanted me to know that He was answering my prayer. Through a communication directly from God, I knew at that moment without any doubt that the Book of Mormon was true. This is exactly what I experience when I read the Bible or any of the scriptures, or when I hear or read truth from other source. I feel this way whenever I do something good for someone else, or after I repent of my sins.

The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is the words of Christ as they were written by ancient prophets by the Spirit of prophecy and revelation, which is the Holy Ghost. Which Spirit testifies of the Father and of the Son. The Book of Mormon is truly another testament of Jesus Christ. Nephi, a prophet in the Book of Mormon saw our day, and knew how people would react to the coming forth of additional scripture. He wrote the following:

And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.

And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness. (2 Ne. 33:10-11)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

The Book of Mormon was written as another testament of Jesus Christ. The prophets in the BoM knew about their brothers in Israel and they knew what they were writing would stand up as a testimony to the testimony of the Jews. If one never knew about the Bible and received a witness of the Book of Mormon, they'd know that the Bible was true as well.

ok so your saying if you prayed over bom you would know bible is true? But it does not always work the other way around for some.

What about the other books..pearl of great price and d/c is their a need to pray over those?

ok so your saying if you prayed over bom you would know bible is true? But it does not always work the other way around for some.

What about the other books..pearl of great price and d/c is their a need to pray over those?

Considering if the Book of Mormon is true, being the cornerstone of our faith, it would confirm the truthfulness of Joseph Smith's vision, his call to restore our church and the subsequent revelations documented in the Doctrine and Covenants. If one is true, they all are true. They all stand or fall on the same foundation. Furthermore, I believe as such that the Pearl of Great Price is true, as they were books written by their respective authors, Joseph Smith being the translator of these particular records (one being selections from the Book of Moses as an extract from the Holy Bible, the other translated from papyrus found in catacombs in Egypt written by Abraham's own hand as indicated on the record--p.29 PoGP).

Edit: I believe in truth wherever it is found and that God will tell me if something is true. I also believe that there are many, many more texts, papyrus, and plates of scripture that have yet to be discovered or brought back for us to learn from. I don't believe that all scriptural accounts are contained only in the four works (Bible, BoM, D&C, PoGP), but we have been given what is essential to our salvation.

Just today a friend of mine was baptized who is a great Bible scholar. He had prayed about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and found his answer while studying the Book of Mormon and cross referencing it to the Bible.

For sincere seekers of truth, this is no great feat. There is no conflict between the two records. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are the words of Christ, and contain the fulness of the everlasting gospel as delivered to prophets in two different parts of the world. All one has to do is prayerfully read the Book of Mormon to see that it is the word of God.

Of course we can pray about anything to know if it is true, and God will answer our prayers by the Holy Ghost. For me, once I knew how the Holy Ghost witnesses of truth, I was able to recognize truth in anything that I read or hear, using the same pattern of faith.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:5)

But because I know the Book of Mormon is true I also know that Joseph Smith was what he claimed to be, a prophet of God. This means that the other scriptures he produced by the gift and power of God are true as well, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. However, I personally know by the Holy Ghost that Bible is true, in the same way that I know the Book of Mormon is true.

I am a witness to those who read my words that these things are true. God has made them manifest to me, and he can manifest it to you as well, unless you reject it with your unbelief. No matter what, if we are to receive a witness of the Holy Ghost, it will be after a trial of our faith (Ether 12:6).

Regards,

Vanhin

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostnfound Posted Image

Just today a friend of mine was baptized who is a great Bible scholar. He had prayed about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and found his answer while studying the Book of Mormon and cross referencing it to the Bible.

For sincere seekers of truth, this is no great feat. There is no conflict between the two records. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are the words of Christ, and contain the fulness of the everlasting gospel as delivered to prophets in two different parts of the world. All one has to do is prayerfully read the Book of Mormon to see that it is the word of God.

Quote:

Of course we can pray about anything to know if it is true, and God will answer our prayers by the Holy Ghost. For me, once I knew how the Holy Ghost witnesses of truth, I was able to recognize truth in anything that I read or hear, using the same pattern of faith.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:5)

But because I know the Book of Mormon is true I also know that Joseph Smith was what he claimed to be, a prophet of God. This means that the other scriptures he produced by the gift and power of God are true as well, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. However, I personally know by the Holy Ghost that Bible is true, in the same way that I know the Book of Mormon is true.

I am a witness to those who read my words that these things are true. God has made them manifest to me, and he can manifest it to you as well, unless you reject it with your unbelief. No matter what, if we are to receive a witness of the Holy Ghost, it will be after a trial of our faith (Ether 12:6).

Regards,

Vanhin

I agree with this statement. Although I did not recieve the same strength witness of truth for the bible as I did for the BOM, This does not bother me in the slightest though. It does not affect my belief in the bible as the word of God whatsoever. The two books don't conflict.

Here is my experience of how I recieved a witness of Christ, and that the Church is true.

I was Inactive for a number of years through my teens, living the wayward life, and I always knew where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to be doing.

My wakeup call came one night out partying, after much drinking I was beaten unconcious by several men and woke up to a needle being pushed through my scalp (getting stitches) in the ER, broken teeth and cut up. That very next day I knew what I was to do.

I made the choice to work on Getting back to church, The funny thing is my 're-witness' came by praying very hard, Asking God to touch the heart of my then Girlfriend/now wife, that she may 'see the light' and join the church.

As I said this a voice clearly spoke to me reassuringly "Work on yourself first" as soon as this was said, I was overwhelmed by the most intense love, comfort and peace inside of me that I have not experienced before or since. not just some warm fuzzy happy feeling, but an experience too hard to describe.

I started living my life in accordance with the Gospel Standards and soon after began being bombarded with horrible and tempting dreams, visions, and nightmares that recurred frequently (this was the week building up to returning to church), culminating in an experience that was another confirmation I was moving in the right direction (but from the 'otherside'). I woke in the middle of the night to feel a weight pressing over my entire body, I instantly knew what was going to happen even though I had never experienced this before. The weight became intense and then suddenly I was seized by an unseen force that I could not move ,think or even breathe. I instantly started praying in my head as hard as I could, and as I did I was overwhelmed by feelings that can only be described as tragedy, sadness and despair. these feelings were paralyzing that I could not vocalize my prayers. Grotesque images that I would rather not say, filled my head and vision. I just kept praying to Christ as hard as I could. As soon as I could pray out loud and as soon as I said in the name of Jesus Christ, ***** Depart, I was let go and fell into the most peaceful, restful state.

Someone didn't want me to change from my old ways, Someone didn't want me to go back to the Church of Jesus Christ of latterday saints, And I believe someone himself appeared to try and stop me.

My faith is squarely in Christ, Not in any specific book. I know for sure that both books are the Word of God. The books are there to compare and measure against the feelings we recieve (holy Ghost witnessing), the personal revelation we are given and the words of our leaders. All combining to manifest truth.

I grew up in the church I knew it was true, but I did not have my own testimony. I gained a testimony from these experiences (both the good and bad).

It does not matter to me what other people say, because as Joseph Smith said:

"For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it.”

Alot of other Christians have said to me "you can't trust your feelings" etc. In relation to my beliefs and these experiences. My beliefs will never be justified to them, because a book, whether the bible or the Book of Mormon will never convert someone completely and absolutely to Christ, It is the feelings and witness you recieve that lets you know for a complete surety what is true and what is not.

And so if you rely on objective biblical 'evidence' solely to justify your faith then IMHO you close your mind to further possible witnesses of truth by your own choice, because you are not willing to consider anything that is 'outside the bible' or 'feelings' you may recieve.

I have recieved a witness of the BOM that I recognized as similar to the burning feeling after hearing the voice though not as intense, and I haven't really felt the need to pray about the bible because they are both testaments of Christ.

IMHO people who say, 'you can't rely on your feelings and experiences' have never felt them before, otherwise they would not try do deny me of mine.

Feelings are really powerful. A pretty subjective thing indeed. As a non lds..i find the idea of praying over the bom very interesting. Some have suggested if you just seek with all your heart you will know it's true. However, I know for a fact this is not true. but for argument sake I will go with this idea for a min...as a christian. if a non christian and I mean like a buddist or athesist or someone like that wants to know if the bible is true. I have never suggested that they pray over the book of the bible. They don't need to..not only that..but the heart is desperately wicked and they do not have the holy spirit for that kind of discernement..so what are they to do??

They can look at it from a historical angle, prophecy angle and even scientific angle to uncover who Jesus was to see if he was Lord or not. In other words there is objective evidence that you can place your faith upon.

So, I am curious as to why with the bom we don't say..well..look at the historical evidence for it...look at the prophecies coming true in it..something other then a feeling? I hope you guys know I am just trying to understand better with my questioning. I know these are questions that other christians have asked themselves as well at one time or another. :)

p.s. Just let me preface one more thing. I do completelly believe you can seek God with al your heart mind and soul and he promises we will find him.. i do believe in the power of prayer and that God speaks to us today through his holy spirit. But anything I think is coming from God I will go back to the scriptures to make sure that it is coincides with God's word. :) Just wanted you to know that there is a place for honest seekers of Him through the amazing power of prayer.

Guest tomk

Feelings are really powerful. A pretty subjective thing indeed. As a non lds..i find the idea of praying over the bom very interesting. Some have suggested if you just seek with all your heart you will know it's true. However, I know for a fact this is not true. but for argument sake I will go with this idea for a min...as a christian. if a non christian and I mean like a buddist or athesist or someone like that wants to know if the bible is true. I have never suggested that they pray over the book of the bible. They don't need to..not only that..but the heart is desperately wicked and they do not have the holy spirit for that kind of discernement..so what are they to do??

They can look at it from a historical angle, prophecy angle and even scientific angle to uncover who Jesus was to see if he was Lord or not. In other words there is objective evidence that you can place your faith upon.

So, I am curious as to why with the bom we don't say..well..look at the historical evidence for it...look at the prophecies coming true in it..something other then a feeling? I hope you guys know I am just trying to understand better with my questioning. I know these are questions that other christians have asked themselves as well at one time or another. :)

p.s. Just let me preface one more thing. I do completelly believe you can seek God with al your heart mind and soul and he promises we will find him.. i do believe in the power of prayer and that God speaks to us today through his holy spirit. But anything I think is coming from God I will go back to the scriptures to make sure that it is coincides with God's word. :) Just wanted you to know that there is a place for honest seekers of Him through the amazing power of prayer.

Good question.

The answer is: Because God does not want our witness to be based upon worldly evidence. His witness is much stronger and sure than anything the world can give. Theories are constantly being proven wrong or are being altered. Whereas, the witness God gave me has remained constant and irrefutable. I could deny it, sure, but not without knowing I have done so against the witness I received.

Why would you look at the Bible from a historical perspective?

How is using the HISTORY a basis for FAITH?

There is no objective evidence that Christ lived on Earth.

Is your faith in the wars and locations in the Scriptures, or the divinity of Christ?

Build your house upon the rock solid foundation of the Lord, not history and science.

Good question.

The answer is: Because God does not want our witness to be based upon worldly evidence. His witness is much stronger and sure than anything the world can give. Theories are constantly being proven wrong or are being altered. Whereas, the witness God gave me has remained constant and irrefutable. I could deny it, sure, but not without knowing I have done so against the witness I received.

"For since the creation of the world, his invisiable attritubutes have been clearly seen through what has been made so they are without excuse." Romans..

Would you consider this worldy evidence.to look at creation??

When I look at a flower, I see the evidence of God. When I hear the sound of a child, I hear evidence of God. When I feel the warm hug of a friend, I feel evidence of God. When I taste of fruit, I taste evidence of God. When I smell the rain before the storm, I smell evidence of God.

When I see ruins from war and time, I see the work of Man. The Lord can let or command these things to come to pass, but that is not the base evidence for believe in the Scriptures.

Belief in the Bible should not be based on historical accuracy, but on the belief that the Lord has made it His Word on Earth. Know God, then go from there.

Peter did not recieve his knowledge of the divinity of Christ from man. Walking and talking with Christ wasn't enough to Testify of his Divinity. It was THE FATHER who revealed to Peter that Jesus Christ was the Son of God.

All history can tell us is that a man named Jesus Christ walked on the earth, shook things up a little, and then died a horrific death. It can not Testify of His Divinity. Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Man's understanding of science and history is changing daily. The Holy Spirit is constant. When I read the Book of Mormon, and the Bible, and the writings of the Prophets, I get a feeling in my heart that I know didn't originate within me. It is literally a member of the Godhead "speaking" to me, in a way I'll be able to understand, that what I'm reading is true. It has never changed. Sometimes I can block it out (like if I'm trying to read the scriptures while at the same time having negative thoughts about my husband who's bugging me that day), but when the Spirit does speak, I recognize it, because it is constant.