Anti-LDS Sentiments

Guest dallas

I am, however, experiencing a LOT of anti-LDS sentiments from all sides. How does a person go about dealing with it? What experiences have you had, and how did you overcome them?

Guest User-Removed

In my opinion, you listen to them because it's God talking to you Dallas

Actually...God doesn't place anti LDS thoughts or sentiments into one's heart...He only urges you to support the Lakers this next week....

I must be lucky, in that I have never experienced that. I have had friends/people ask me the usual trite questions, but never in a way that was ugly. I have been, for most of my life, around more non LDS than LDS, and have had no anti experiences. (Maybe I am just oblivious?)

In my opinion, you listen to them because it's God talking to you Dallas

Dr T, that really surprises me that you would say this.

That God is talking anti-LDS to someone who is investigating the LDS Church??

Did I misinterpret your answer?

Guest dallas

Dr T, that really surprises me that you would say this.

That God is talking anti-LDS to someone who is investigating the LDS Church??

Did I misinterpret your answer?

I'm sure it was a misinterpretation. To clarify, they're not anti-LDS sentiments from within -- they're from friends, etc. Most are just questioning, but some are just plain nasty about it. I'm taking it all in stride, but was just curious how others dealt with it in their own experiences.

T..good answer...however..can i challenge you with a thought. Does God speak to us in this way? Does he need anti lds sentements in his life to show him falseness in a church for example? The only reason i challenge you on this. is because someone may come along and say if you recieve anti christian sentiment does that mean you should not be a christian..rather let me encourage the original op to just line his church teachings up with the bible. Simple. ..simple..truth...he has already given us his word..everything else seems so subjective to me..I would rather go for objective truth. Anyways, I know your heart on this...and i know what your saying..just a thought that jumped out at me. :)

SOme fall away, others grow stonger in the faith, everyone will deal with it in their own way. The best thing you can try to remember is that the Lord loves you and will provide a way for you if you put your trust in him. Pray to him for help and guidance, listen to the promtings of the Holy Spirit. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and hope that they can help sustain you through your trials.

Actually...God doesn't place anti LDS thoughts or sentiments into one's heart...He only urges you to support the Lakers this next week....

Would that not be supporting the devil himself?

Dallas, curious..who is doing this to you? Are they proffessing christians? Are they cruel? What are the specifics. Whoever it is if they aren't reaching out to you in love if they are christians I would be ashamed..and sad. You could always ask them what their motive is ..but remember a soft answer always turns away wrath."

To clarify, they're not anti-LDS sentiments from within -- they're from friends, etc. Most are just questioning, but some are just plain nasty about it. I'm taking it all in stride, but was just curious how others dealt with it in their own experiences.

If my friends had been nasty/ugly about my Faith, I do believe I would have questioned the friendship. Friendship is about respect, as well as love. I would not want a friend that did not respect my right to worship as I saw fit. I would never denigrate another's beliefs, therefore I expect the same in return.

I often think that we get back what we put forth. Does that make sense?

Guest dallas

Dallas, curious..who is doing this to you? Are they proffessing christians? Are they cruel? What are the specifics. Whoever it is if they aren't reaching out to you in love if they are christians I would be ashamed..and sad. You could always ask them what their motive is ..but remember a soft answer always turns away wrath."

They're friends and family, all Christian/Jewish upbringings just as I had. They're mostly people that really adhere to no faith today. I have been careful not to react with anger. The latest comment was: "do you want to become an extremist, too?" To which I answered, "I want to follow my heart."

They're not doing it out of cruelty or anger, really. They're just concerned that I'm straying from the "norm" or our Christian/Jewish roots.

ok that makes sense dallas..here is my other thought then..reach out to them in love. sit down calmly with them,. and ask them what exactly is your fears or concerns with my faith? Listen to them. honestly listen to them..then it's your turn to share..remember seek first to understand before you seek to be understood.

Guest Xzain

If you believe the Church is true, then Nephi's first recorded vision holds an interesting lesson. If you do not believe the Church is true (I don't know) then I suggest you start by praying about the validity of its claims.

In the vision of the Tree of Life, the tree represented the love of God. Those who reached the tree were laid bare to the mocking of the inhabitants of a 'large and spacious' building. Of those that entered into the building, Nephi says:

1 Nephi 8:33-34: (1 Nephi 8)

33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.

34 These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away.

From this, we learn that heeding the 'mocking' (or slander and other anti-LDS sentiments) indeed leads to falling away, and killing whatever testimony one has already received.

I would prayerfully take the advice of others who have suggested talking to your family and friends, but I suggest you do not let them offer you 'anti' material- if they have a valid concern, that's fine, but they don't need to explain everything they think is wrong with the Church to you.

I have had a few experiences with family members who have tried to disuade me from being a member of a "cult". Most recently it was my grandfather. I just calmly testify to them of what I know to be true. If I don't get angry or react to what they say with shock or horror they usually get the message.

Just my thoughts

Shannan

If anyone harrasses you about being in a cult, well, anyone who worships anything via religion is in a cult. At least, that's what the Mirriam Webster Online Dictionary tells me. . .

Main Entry: cult

Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\

Function:noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel

Date: 1617

1: formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>

5 a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b: the object of such devotion c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Guest dallas

You all definitely make valid points, and I appreciate your thoughts! It certainly helps to hear the thoughts of people who have been where I am.

You're telling me! It still hurts :( I'm willing to give them one at home though. We can take them. I took it as a "this game is a feeling out the competition" and "seeing where the matches are." Kobe will stop making stupid passes, Gasol will be stronger (although KG is too strong for him even when he does) and we'll start making many of those missed shots from tonight. I'm not worried yet. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Two quick thoughts...

1. The Los Angeles Lakers? Just what game do they play? I always assumed they were some type of L.A. promotional service club or something. :::cough!:::

2. Most evangelicals throw the world "cult" around rather carelessly (and heartlessly)--by it they mean "heresy."

p.c..interesting...thought on the word cult..i always thought cult would define a church as one that controls its people by emotional manipulation or physical..tells it's members what they can and can not read or listen to. Basically governing over a body of people trying to be their holy spirit.or taking the place of the holy spirits job? Am i wrong pc? or is their another definition of the word cult that fits better? :)

I am Reorganized LDS, but i handle it via preparation. I watch films like the Mormon Puzzle film by the SBC. I even decided to invite the person if they agree not to be contentious to watch the film with me. But really any material you use with people you have to be prepared on. I have survived uncomfortable witnessing situations because i studied up on the basic issues.

One has to also even if the other person is upset not to get upset yourself. As soon as you lose your cool it won't help the other person to feel spiritual. And if you let contention flow from you it will temporarily take away your ability to feel spiritual. The more the other person see's you not getting upset at them the more likely they will calm down.

p.c..interesting...thought on the word cult..i always thought cult would define a church as one that controls its people by emotional manipulation or physical..tells it's members what they can and can not read or listen to. Basically governing over a body of people trying to be their holy spirit.or taking the place of the holy spirits job? Am i wrong pc? or is their another definition of the word cult that fits better? :)

You are not wrong, in general. And, yours in the sociological definition. However, when "Antis" who are evangelicals use the word, such as Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults, he specifically used the term to mean "heretic." In his case, the key issue was the Trinity, and then justification by faith. Others have taken to using the word in the same way, amongst evangelicals.