non-mormon vs. anti-mormon

Guest Username-Removed

Thanks Aphrodite. I guess I should have read the rules before. I was scared they would be some long boring technical stuff, but the actual rules seem to be rather concise and make a lot of sence. It seems that on many potentially interesting threads, the vast majority of posts don't follow the rules. :( Kinda makes those threads no fun to reply to...

I appreciate administators not having a heavy hand. but should the rules be changed? Should we just go on ignoring them? Should we cry out for heavier administrator involvement? (I'd rather a different way) Is turning the discussions back towards the ideasl the rules outline, desired? If so, how can we do this?

thanks.

GoodK, after reading some other threads, and realizing which posts you have written, and which posts were written about you, the misunderstanding on this thread is completely understandable. You have persecution complex!

Boy you hit the nail right on the head! Rules make it possible for us to get things done. Right now, I think we need some more improvement, perhaps more enforcement, of the rules. Thats my personal opinion. However, on the flip side, its possible to be somewhat lax in enforcement so when there is a problem they can clearly take care of it based on the written rules.

I know it must be wierd for non-members (I was one for years) to come into an LDS board and figure out the way that members govern themselves and try to post without appearing to be out of touch. For example, I love HONDA products. I visit a lot of HONDA boards. I know alot about Hondas (cars, generators, and ATVs). Can you imagine what it would be like going to a board that only dealt with Can-AM products? I might develop a complex about that.

With regard to our personal beliefs. We read, ponder and pray about things and get a spiritual witness of its truthfulness. If someone has never had a spiritual witness, thats got to be difficult to understand how we so easily talk about it. Probably like someone trying to strike up casual conversations about quantum mechanics. LOL - Good luck with that one! Can you imagine what it would be like to go to a quantum mechnics board and be a fly on the wall? LOL

Anyways, Im getting a feel for understanding why people post what they do. Sometimes it seems quite adversarial. But perhaps its just the frustration of trying to understand a topic that seems almost 2nd nature to us.

Edited by WordFLOOD

Just a thought on the rules. Interpretation is huge. A phrase like "Anything opposed to the Church is prohibited," could be interpreted in such a way that none of us could say much of anything. And yet, here I be, a "gentile" moderator. I have found that through common courtesy, and through an approach of asking questions and offering information (as opposed to argumentation and one-upmanship), I've never run afoul of "the rules."

Sometimes people have a low tolerance for discussions involving differences of opinion, and quickly become uncomfortable. Others (I may be among these), find such environments invigorating, and may be dull to the sensitivities of those seeking a purely faith-promoting experience.

Some suggestions for a successful LDSnet experience:

1. A bit of a thick skin

2. A bit of attempting to get into the head of the other poster(s)

3. A bit of humor

4. At at least occasional word of encouragement

5. A personal story/testimony to share (who can argue with those???)

6. A bit of thought before responding (especially with shock, dismay, and other strong emotions).

Guest Username-Removed

Hemi,

Thanks! Looking from the outside in, I find a lot of "anti" posts that seem to pick apart every "jot & tittle" of a poster. And yet they are offended when I eat pop corn! LOL

So, I do think there is disparity here. Where there should be none in my humble opinion. However, I will continue to eat popcorn :lol: regardless of how much it freaks someone out! I know you are ok with that.

To everyone else,

I reserve the right to boycot this forum at any time! :o LOL - But for now, I will post because I have had some great feedback from a few mods :lol:. I think I have pretty thick skin, and you know you have to when you work in a call center! :cool:. But I do have my opinion on what is fair and what is not. Going forward, I will simply eat popcorn :popcorn:if something appears to be moderatly unfair :rolleyes:. If is really unfair, I will hit the mod button!

I do appreciate everyone's advice on how THiS forum works. However, Ive been a poster on many ATV forums over the last 15 years. And I've had my own forum for 4 years. I can tell you its a lot different here. I dont think we have to coddle every non-member's posts, and beat up members for their posts. Which I do think is happening here. So, when you see the popcorn, you'll know where I stand when that happens!

Edited by WordFLOOD

If is really unfair, I will hit the mod button!. . . . I dont think we have to coddle every non-member's posts, and beat up members for their posts. Which I do think is happening here.

I am not LDS, yet I've been a member of this board for a year now. During that year I have had some very heated discussions, a few where I was getting hammered.

Yet, I have only hit the "report" button twice that I can think of. I see no reason to take my disagreements with other posters to the mods.

This is only a message board. The computer does not force you to turn it on. The link to lds.net does not force you to position your cursor on it to open it. The site does not force you to position your cursor on login. Nor does it force you to sign in, open a thread, or read any one person's posts.

For example, if you don't like what I write, rather than hitting "report," just ignore my posts. Other posters have, and I'm good with that.

Elphaba

Guest Username-Removed

We learn, we conquer our own weaknesses, we add humor, we eat popcorn watching other dialog to a death match, we allow others to discourse, we are allowed to rant at times, then we offer advice to those seeking help. Now, what a great forum to be on.....LOL

It is entertaining isnt it? There are a few that I am concerned about. There is one person that thinks I am talking about them with every post. It makes me wonder ..... :blink:. And when they post about themselves in the 'third person', then I really get concerned :hmmm:.

Edited by WordFLOOD

As a way to reflect on the posts above, I wonder if people think about the thoughts they have and the actions they take. It is called introspection. It may be a good place to start to examine more closely why we do the things we do.

It has never occurred to me to go to a RCC or JW or Seventh Day Adventist site to argue, try to debunk their doctrine or church teachings. In this forum it seems like it is a duly authorized sport!!

The same holds true for former members or even members that for whatever reason have decided to ignore the covenant and counsel of the prophet. They argue so vociferously advocating for their point to the extreme that, IMO, seem quite silly. We must not confuse agency with faithfulness. Two totally different things.

Such arguments defeat the purpose of the forum.

Edited by Islander
Too tired.

In finnish there is a saying: The forest answers the way you shout in it...

Unfortunately not even LDS can always ignore the temptation... In my opinion this board is mostly a safe, nice and kind place to everybody thanks to observing mods.

One interesting thing is, when someone comes from an other board, where they are used to a special negative way of talking about LDS... then they ask a simple question but word it in a way, that already tells either what the person thinks or where the person is from. It takes a while for that person to change the way of writting, but it does occure.

We do have some things in our beliefs that hurt other Christians, like we believe we are the ONLY true Church.... I dont know HOW could we tell the others that we are sorry if it hurts, but for us it is the truth! We cant go back on our words...not in that one...not in many other things either.

How ever we DONT say you are wrong and only we are right... but that is what the others hear and in a way it is what we say.... BUT then WHY take it so hard if WE think we are right, if YOU know you are right and we wrong!? If someone tells me we have wrong or that they believe that God, Jesus, HS is one... I dont get angry or fustrated ...I just think ...ok so you think that way... big deal, I dont , but that is ok for me. I have NO NEED to go on arguing about it, like some others have had to argue that I am wrong calling our God a piece of meat floating in the air... ok so what, let him think that I dont, I KNOW I am right.

This our knowing so much is hard for others to bear. Could it be that I know, that I know what is true, but the others are NOT SURE if they know anything!? Why cant they trust their own belief if it is truth?

I think the moderators are getting a bit Nazi-ish. But that's just me.

Swearing is unacceptable, so is "sacred" stuff - but comment deleting should be rarely - rarely used. It's annoying and very "Big Brother" of them.

If you have a problem with an action a particular moderator took, take it up with them or take it up with a head moderator. A forum is not the place to state your "beef" with the way moderators handle things.

NormalMormon, please read the Administrator's announcement regarding your concern.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-net-admin-alerts/11248-new-leadership-roles-lds-net-head-moderators.html#post197591

...In additional to this new role, posting issues you have with a moderator anywhere on the site will not be allowed. Please follow the chain of authority if you have any concerns. Any such posts will be removed and the poster will be reminded that proper channel for handling such things.

Here is the list of site moderators: LDS Mormon Forums - Show Groups

Here is the course of action that should be taken if you have a concern:

1 - Send a message directly to the moderator you have a concern about. If you are unable to work out the problem then,

2 - Send a message to the head moderators.

3 - If after you have approached both avenues, you may then also send a message to me; however know that I am very unlikely to over rule anything that has been sanctioned by the moderators and head moderators....

Edited by skalenfehl