Time to Drill?

Guest Username-Removed

With oil prices as high as they are is it time to drill off of our coast lines and other places considered to be off-limits?

I heard a story this week that there is more oil in Utah than in Saudi Arabia. I dont know if thats true or not. But if China is drilling off of the coast of Florida, it would seem silly that we are not.

For electricity production, we need only go Nuclear. That doesn't require any new technology, and is the safest means of energy production in American history.

For gas, we must drill our own oil, and refine it. We have enough in our nation to last us probably until the end of time....

Go Nuclear!!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or...

Fusion power refers to power generated by nuclear fusion reactions. In this kind of reaction, two light atomic nuclei fuse together to form a heavier nucleus and in doing so, release energy. In a more general sense, the term can also refer to the production of net usable power from a fusion source, similar to the usage of the term "steam power." Most design studies for fusion power plants involve using the fusion reactions to create heat, which is then used to operate a steam turbine, similar to most coal-fired power stations as well as fission-driven nuclear power stations.

The largest current experiment is the Joint European Torus [JET]. In 1997, JET produced a peak of 16.1 MW of fusion power (65% of input power), with fusion power of over 10 MW sustained for over 0.5 sec. In June 2005, the construction of the experimental reactor ITER, designed to produce several times more fusion power than the power put into the plasma over many minutes, was announced. The production of net electrical power from fusion is planned for DEMO, the next generation experiment after ITER.

Guest Username-Removed

For electricity production, we need only go Nuclear. That doesn't require any new technology, and is the safest means of energy production in American history.

For gas, we must drill our own oil, and refine it. We have enough in our nation to last us probably until the end of time....

Go Nuclear!!!!

The problem with nuclear is waste storage and the cost of it. If you hire a company to store it, those costs never go away. They are fixed costs that keep increasing the more you add to it. So nuclear power (especially Fision) is very expensive over time.

Also the problem with charging a car off of "the grid" is that the battery capacity of cars is very low right now - about 40 miles. Although for commuters like me, this is just fine. However, not so good if you travel more.

Edited by WordFLOOD

Fusion is one step closer to having a Sun in a reactor....

Advantages of fusion energy

First of all, fusion is an almost limitless fuel supply. The basic fuels are distributed widely around the globe. Deuterium is abundant and can be extracted easily from sea water. Lithium, from which tritium can be produced, is a readily available light metal in the Earth´s crust.

Fusion produces no greenhouse gas emissions. Fusion power plants will not generate gases such as carbon dioxide that cause global warming and climate change, nor other gases that have damaging effects on the environment.

Fusion is suitable for the large-scale electricity production required for the increasing energy needs of large cities. A single fusion power station could generate electricity for two million households.

Waste from fusion will not be a long-term burden on future generations. Only metal parts close to the fusion plasma will become radioactive. Any radioactive waste generated will be small in volume and the radioactivity will decay over several decades with the possibility of reuse after about 100 years.

No transport of radioactive materials is required in the day-to-day operation of a fusion power station, as the intermediate fuel tritium is produced and consumed within the power plant.

The fusion reaction is inherently safe. Only about two grams of fuel is present in the plasma vessel, enough for a few seconds of "burn". As fusion is not a chain reaction, the reaction can never run out of hand.

Currently the military has a "UNIQUE" propulsion system that glides across the skies without noise....anyone in this field may know what I am alluding too. Now, if we can pry it away from those nasty mil hands and apply it to civilian airplanes, this itself would get rid dino fuel for planes. lol

Mmmm, I think they are building a desalination plant off the coast...expensive things...that's why the best model of it is in....?....oh forget it LOL. I'm not going to say another thing. You've got more money than they have right...?

Google where they already drink sewerage water already...and at what percent...we're not talking about a dry place...we're talking about a mega-city...funnily they live right on the edge of the ocean...no desalination plant for them...wonder why not....potential New York?

Neva mind...you only get the lack of water when you lack it. You know...lack...when they have an emergency city plan for when no water comes from the taps any more and they've worked out drop off supply points for trucked in water. Don't believe in zero water....? Muahahahahah.

Yes I know water vapour is a byproduct of water as fuel...still not there yet with technology....when they can make the whole car self-sustaining...so that the water vapour is recycled back into fuel then you have possibilities. Anyone know why they don't do that.... : ) Apparently the water vapour produced from hydrogen cells is purer than the original stuff...now theoretically you should be able to create a true closed system....where water endlessly recycles....but...grins.

Oh yeah, now you're talking ....nuclear power stations....now they produce absolutely no dangerous products at all....no storage issues....and whatever dangerous byproducts it produces it definitely has less of a life than the nasty carbon monoxide problem we're getting from global warming ; ) . Multiply the global warming problem by the life of nuclear waste and then you have an interesting scenario.

Fuel is $1.70 a litre currently...I worked it out...something like six dollars something per gallon...and rising. I think there might be some interesting behaviour from the public when it gets to $2 per litre. Last time I looked the Australian dollar wasn't that far off from the U.S dollar. I reckon we'll run out of food before we run out of fuel......and paperclips and stuff...funny what we afford and sacrifice on...we have...empty supermarket shelves...apparently there's this thing called freight. But we have it under control...Rudd is going to bring us foreign supermarkets like Costco and Aldis. Bless his socks.

Guest Username-Removed

Currently the military has a "UNIQUE" propulsion system that glides across the skies without noise....anyone in this field may know what I am alluding too. Now, if we can pry it away from those nasty mil hands and apply it to civilian airplanes, this itself would get rid dino fuel for planes. lol

What kind of plane is that?

Guest Username-Removed

All I can say, it doesn't require aviation diesel. Sorry....

You must be talking about that big solar multi prop wing that flys forever.

Guest Username-Removed

Certainly there are a lot of technologies that are just sitting there. We've talked about cars that have the possibility of running on water and planes that use no fuel at all.

Would we be ready for these new technologies?

What's stopping them from entering the market?

Would the current industry accept it?

Would political pressures from them keep them from entering the market?

Whats it going to take for these new technologies to actually be implemented?

How bad to things really have to get before things change?

Hmm....Gravity Plane......:)

There is four technology that is being prepared to be unclassed. One will stun the public when they realize, that Star Trek has some nifty ideas that are useful.

Your points [hammer] hit the nail perfectly...what will it take to allow transfer of technology to the civilian sector?

My friend from Lawrence Livermore Lab was working on his concept of woven integrated electronic circuitry. My idea for usage in the DOD was to employ it into the battle fatigues that the Marines wear daily. I could implement his idea woven fabric electronic into military combat clothing and have a roll up screen to be used a flexible video display. What change, his goal was not for DOD but in allowing the civilian sector to exploit his technology to be used for the better goods. After receiving some of his beta stuff and was deeply impressed on what this material could be used for in all walks of life. What changes me was his methodical thinking that the military would hold back the idea and transfer this technology to the consumer.

Even after making some of my own submission [2050 Technology Enhancements] Engineering ideas to DOD, three of which is currently under development. Now, I wish I just did what he did, knowing the government will not allow the transfer of such technology to the civilians.