Time to Drill?

Guest Username-Removed

Guest Username-Removed

With oil prices as high as they are is it time to drill off of our coast lines and other places considered to be off-limits?

I heard a story this week that there is more oil in Utah than in Saudi Arabia. I dont know if thats true or not. But if China is drilling off of the coast of Florida, it would seem silly that we are not.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only offshore but the world's largest known oil deposits - middest. We have enough oil to adequatly supply this country 20-22 Million Barrel of oil consumption for the next couple hundred years without aid from imports. Also, there is 80 billion barrels in the Alaska reserve is now being worked on in placing oil wells.

If it is no, then we need as consumer to voice our opinion or simply replace the leadership.

What about the notion that this price runup has nothing to do with supply? The only people who would benefit from more drilling are those who make a profit from oil.

I think we should quit consuming so much. There was a fellow interviewed on NPR yesterday who talked about "needing" his Ford Excursion because he has five kids. He reports that he gets between 8 & 10 mpg. He could fit his family into a Toyota Sienna and get 19-26 mpg. He's welcome to drive whatever he wants to, but he ought to examine the definition of "like to" versus "need to." ;)

Guest Username-Removed

The best way to decrease price is to increase supply. That also means using less to increase supply. So both appear to be needed.

Drill, build, refine, de-regulate, and anything else that needs to be done. The idea that somehow increasing taxes on the oil companies solves anything is absurd and I fail to see the politicians can continue to push for that with a straight face and so many people buy into that garbage. A first grader taking basic econ could explain why that is like cutting off your nose to spit your face. Talk about FAILED policy of the past!

Bush should simply make an executive order to go out and get the supply. No time like now to start, even if it takes 10 years to really have an impact. The order to go get the oil alone would be enough to send prices down down overnight.

Guest Username-Removed

nancy...speculation is now ruling the market and not demand.

That is if everyone who sits in the back seat of the Sienna was a midget. LOL But, finding flaws with a automotive manufacture who is usually the fifth most recalled vehicle in America has its moments. [humor]

True that Hemi. Today's oil prices are flat (no increase) because of futures speculation of new drilling.

So, lets talk it up! MORE DRILLING, MORE DRILLING, MORE DRILLING!

For years I have commuted 25 miles one way to work on a bicycle. I was ridding a bicycle when gas was $1.00 a gallon. Besides the economic benefits – I am at the lower end of my ideal weight, I eat whatever I want whenever I want, I sleep very well and I even believe that being in shape physically has mental benefits as well.

I agree that we should drill. I think we should also continue to develop microbes to create crude from organic waist that is filling up our landfills, create crude from petroleum byproducts waist and push the frontier of carbon nano-tube technology to utilize solar power in the 30 to 50 percent range which will allow electric cars without batteries.

I believe if congress would worry less about social health care and allow capitol investor incentives this would be solved completely within 5 years. But I also believe that there are other factors as work and that 10 years from now it will be worse.

The Traveler

What about the notion that this price runup has nothing to do with supply? The only people who would benefit from more drilling are those who make a profit from oil.

I think we should quit consuming so much. There was a fellow interviewed on NPR yesterday who talked about "needing" his Ford Excursion because he has five kids. He reports that he gets between 8 & 10 mpg. He could fit his family into a Toyota Sienna and get 19-26 mpg. He's welcome to drive whatever he wants to, but he ought to examine the definition of "like to" versus "need to." ;)

I agree that we all can contribute to lessening the demand. Let's not forget that the average mini-van family is not the only consumer type in the economy. The food we buy, the furniture we sit on and sleep in, the lumber in our homes, the cabinets in our kitchens, every little thing that we buy from paper clips to toilet paper to lawn mowers must be transported from somewhere in large delivery trucks. They start out as raw materials and are made and fabricated part by part and shipped to a warehouse in large trucks that require fuel. Once fabricated they are transported to a distributor using more trucks requiring more fuel. All the materials in our homes and in our places of employment and our children's schools were transported from somewhere requiring fuel. All the food we eat and the produce required fuel for the tractors, the combines, and all the farm equipment to make sure we have full refrigerators. Cement and gravel companies use large mixing trucks and heavy equipment to build highways so that we can drive across the country and so that truckers can deliver the products we consume. They all require fuel. Hospitals have back up generators that require fuel to keep functioning. Airline companies also require a lot of fuel so that people can travel and things can be shipped across the ocean.

Solving an energy crisis requires time but we need to start now so that in ten or twenty years from now, people don't say that our newly elected president back in 2009 failed to act the way Bill Clinton did back in '95/'96 when he vetoed the plan to drill. Had he not vetoed it, drilling in ANWR would be producing 1 million barrels per day right now, which means that all the things that we consume arguably wouldn't cost what it costs today to ship and transport and we wouldn't be paying as much to fill up our vehicles and here's the kicker--we would be able to focus completely on alternative energy and fuel without the distraction of an unsolved oil/fuel crisis.

Edited by skalenfehl

My husband wants to get a motorcycle for the days he doesn't need to drive his truck to lug around supplies or tools. It makes me nervous because his brother bit it on his motorcycle twice within a few months and knocked his front teeth out (luckily it wasn't worse). We're spending about $800 a month on gas now because of my husband's job and needing a truck to do it.

if you fire up google earth, and insert this KMZ plugin, you can see some of the fun we've had nuking our own country. Interesting, isn't it? Granted this was done a long time ago, and adds to our knowledge of how defend ourselves. I don't have a particular opinion one way or the other if that was the right thing to do. Here's the thing. On the one hand we have nuked ourselves a couple thousand times, which has probably done considerable damage to the land involved.

On the other hand, nowadays the political climate has become so overrun with the doctrines of environmentalist groups, we are unable to even make a dent on our precious earth in order to help ourselves out. This is a bit of a subjective opinion mind you, but I for one tire that we have allowed ourselves to listen to these groups, many of whom value nature and planet earth, over human life! We are so tied up at every turn we seem unable to help ourselves in a very heated political climate.

Environmentalists like to use a loaded word "addiction" and talk about our "addiction" to oil. It seems they think if they use enough epithets they can bypass logic. The fact is, there really is no better way at the moment for the majority of us, but to use oil. Other methods are being developed, but they are in their primary stages right now. Granted we could improve through use of public transportations or other methods, but the fact remains. Having oil based transportation is not an "addiction" but is simply a fact of life. We are not to the point yet where we can become vastly independent of oil based transportation. I do not like the idea of going back to the dark ages where we all had to walk.

Some might take the argument that "well why don't we then change this and this and this" in order to stop using so much oil. That's fine and well, but the likelihood of tremendous change happening overnight is nil. We need to work with reality and realize that vast changes means long term. We need our independence NOW. We cannot be overly dependant upon other countries for a vital product which we are obviously able to produce ourselves simply because an environmentalist says we're not supposed to.

Environmentalist groups remind me a lot of those overly neurotic thoughts people have that get in the way of a person's spiritual growth. It is good to question your motives and your direction in an attempt to keep yourself on the right path, but not so much that you destroy your ability to become independent . The draconian mumbo jumbo that we have to face in order to get anything done is impeding our progress as a nation, and is inhibiting our power to act independently, protect ourselves with that independence, and build wealth.

Think for a moment here. Wouldn't it be a lot better if there were less people saying STOP, you can't do things that will help you, and instead focus their efforts on solving problems in a constructive way? Instead of devoting your life to forcing a nation to follow your environmentalist dogma, why not devote your life to studying new methods of transportation, which wouldn't hurt the environment?

I'm not taking this to an extreme, saying we shouldn't pay attention to what we're doing to our land. I'm saying back off! Give the USA some breathing space!

Edited by MikeUpton
formatting, additional point.

We will never stop using oil and here is why. Oil is a lubricant. So until we can come up with a new lubricant that does as well as oil we need to find more oil. It isn't about lessening our dependence on oil. Even if we go to electric vehicles or some other form of fuel we still need something to lubricate the moving parts. I don't have a problem with people wanting to conserve but I hate that the tree huggers seem to feel that is the only thing necessary to do. It is an issue of supply and demand, and it isn't our issue alone. China uses more oil then then we do by far. So we can do our best at conservation and it won't really matter.

I really wish people would get off their "Let's Protect the Environment" high horse and realize that everything that was put here is for our use. Yeah let's be careful and not ruin habitats by spilling oil all over the place but I mean come on. If the oil is there let's use it.

Talking about the issue is great but unless we contact our representatives and find out if they will vote for lifting the bans that are in place then nothing is gonna happen. If they are opposed to drilling then it is time to vote them out of office. Let's take our country back people!!

Bush should simply make an executive order to go out and get the supply.

Executive orders have been so abused. This isn't their purpose. The executive and the judicial branches don't make laws. Right now there is a law that needs to be retracted and the only branch with that authority is the legislative. Despite popular opinion even the judicial branch doesn't have this authority. We need to get our government working properly again.

Guest Username-Removed

The 23rd and 24th level sub-caverns under the Salt Lake Temple constantly have oil seep into them.

HA!

Oh man! To counter, I will say that I DO have my temple recommend (contrary to popular belief) and Im bringing my buckets (ahem.. barrels) up to SLC in the next few days! :rolleyes: