Any one have a Ford Focus?

Iggy

I was in a car accident Fri 13th :eek: and my car got totaled. We have to get another car and quick. I really do not want to buy a used car from the car rental place.

I have been looking at a few cars via the internet and the 2008 Ford Focus S Sedan says it gets 24 city and 35 Hwy. Does it really? Is it a good car.

I had a Chevy Aveo 5 door- and I really liked it. It was a bit cramped for knee room- but I did okay with it on my monthly grocery shopping trips. The only thing I wished is that it had more room length wise so I could have used it to transport the DIY storage cupboards home.

We need a fuel efficient car, and it has to be an automatic too. Other than a Ford Focus- does any one have any other suggestions. We want to stay under $23K starting price too.

Get a Subaru. They hold their value better than Fords (or any other domestic car) and can get just as good mileage. You can get a standard Impreza 4 door for $17k (less if you dicker) and with the 2009's coming out the prices are going to drop even further.

I can tell you they handle well and the all wheel drive is nice, and, in spite of their reputation for speed and power, they're very practical. I have a 2004 Impreza Outback Sport that I got a year ago and I can still sell it for what I paid for it. Reliable, efficient, and practical. That's my vote.

I never buy a vehicle brand new from the lot. They depreciate a good 20% by the time you drive it out of the dealership. If I had to buy a new one, I'd buy a car that was two years old at the newest and find the best deal. I'd reserve a weekend to go dealership hopping. The dealers don't like this, especially at the end of the month when they have to meet their quota. They tell me I won't find a better deal and I just smile.

Get a Subaru. They hold their value better than Fords (or any other domestic car) and can get just as good mileage. You can get a standard Impreza 4 door for $17k (less if you dicker) and with the 2009's coming out the prices are going to drop even further.

I can tell you they handle well and the all wheel drive is nice, and, in spite of their reputation for speed and power, they're very practical. I have a 2004 Impreza Outback Sport that I got a year ago and I can still sell it for what I paid for it. Reliable, efficient, and practical. That's my vote.

Their gas milage sucks- 20 city or less on every one that I checked on line. The nearest dealer is 55 miles from here. Nope, thanks anyway.

I never buy a vehicle brand new from the lot. They depreciate a good 20% by the time you drive it out of the dealership. If I had to buy a new one, I'd buy a car that was two years old at the newest and find the best deal. I'd reserve a weekend to go dealership hopping. The dealers don't like this, especially at the end of the month when they have to meet their quota. They tell me I won't find a better deal and I just smile.

There is just two dealerships in town. Chevy or Ford, and they are right next to each other.

We go with new so that we get the best in way of a warranty, oil changes, bumper to bumper care, etc.

What we did wrong with this Aveo is we did not get GAP insurance! That is going to really hurt us. We are going to end up owing money to the finance company on a car we no longer have.

She asked about a Ford so stop telling everyone to buy a Subaru another foreign car. Well the Focus is one of the German Fords and I never hard anything bad about the 2006 + models.

It´s larger as your old car so if you like it´s looks I´d go for it.

Eric

I agree about not buying new. I'd buy from a private party, and since my budget is not as robust as Skalen's :D I'd go for a 5-y.o. car, myself.

HiJolly

MSN Autos is a great place to find info on cars. Here is the link for the Ford Focus.

Regarding mileage, you can pretty much guess that the EPA estimates are too high by 20-40%.

My opinion is similar to others - buying new is like buying used and throwing $5000 out the window as you drive home. But hey, someone has to buy those new cars and eat the depreciation for me, so if you've decided to be that person, I have no complaint.

I drive a ten year old Honda Accord with 250,000 miles on it. It runs as well as it did new, and I get 26-ish mpg on the highway.

LM

She asked about a Ford so stop telling everyone to buy a Subaru another foreign car. Well the Focus is one of the German Fords and I never hard anything bad about the 2006 + models.

It´s larger as your old car so if you like it´s looks I´d go for it.

Eric

Correct...this Ford is a German version.

Update: We did have gap insurance on the Aveo- so we will not owe anything. YEAH!!

Husband went to the dealership this morning and took a look at what they had, used and new.

Because this is the car I will be driving, I only had three things that must be met. 1. The drivers seat must be adjustable so that both myself and husband can fit comfortably and drive it. 2. It have enough room in the back seat and cargo/trunk area for my three totes to fit. When I grocery shop I put all the groceries into plastic totes. Easier to get all the food into the house( load onto dolly and wheel into the house all at once) 3. Not be RED in color. I hate, loathe and detest red cars.

He got a Dodge Caliber. 2008. I think it is around $18K- It is the simplier model. Very few bells and whistles. It is Silver with dark grey/granite interior.

Husband had to get to work and couldn't sign the papers. I went during my lunch break at work and signed my half of the paper work. They gave me the keys and I drove the car home. They also filled the rental I was using with gas and will take it back to the rental agency for me in the morning.

Husband will go to the Dealership in the morning, sign the papers and then head off to work.

I have a lunch date with my VT- so after lunch I will take the car back to the Dealership so they can complete the detailing. The left front tire is low. THAT needs to be looked at NOW.

We have GAP insurance on this vehicle too. YEAH. GAP insurance is really worth the cost.

I was really impressed with our Salesman too. Husband gave him my three things and he showed him about 8 vehicles. Husband's criteria dealt with mileage and safety. The Dodge Caliber fit the bill.

Oh, it gets 27 mpg highway. I work 10 miles from work via the highway- so I will be able to see just how well it does.

Thanks for all of your input and help- :P

Guest SavingQueenDren
Uh no FORDS especially a FOCUS lol youre better off getting a stinkin honda its great gas mileage and just a GREAT car! Better Yet get a Subaru Impreza or A STI or Lancer EVO!!! those cars are freaking hot! Great great AMAZING car :D I personally speak from experience Ive owned hondas-subarus and both are great vehicles!! thats my 2 cents :D

I've driven several Fords in my time driving. They have one distinct advantage to other cars - spare parts are EASY to find at junk yards. But that should tell you something about the quality of the cars - they're easy to find at JUNK yards.

I've driven, but never owned, a Chevy (Cavalier) and it drove nice and I've heard and found them to be rather reliable. However in terms of holding value over time, imports do much better than domestics.

I can't speak for Dodge, never driven one. But if it fits your needs then good for you :) Good luck with the new car!

And yes, I got gap insurance on my Impreza when I got it :D Haven't needed it yet, thankfully. Oh and SavingQueenDren: the STI gets horrible mileage compared to even a Ford. It's that turbo charger....

Edited by puf_the_majic_dragon

Reminds of the Hondas and Toyotas I purchased in the past - good for parts.

Owning three Dodges, not once had a major recall as to my previous two brands. Now owning one the most powerful compacts on the planet, it is fun to drive but a pain to keep the foot off the pedal. LOL

Edited by Hemidakota