Speaking with Spirits

MrNirom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr I belive all you say and feel so sad for your son.... Has this step-daughter ever recanted her statements????? Hopefully she may... Lots of people are convicted and are innocent...... It is sad ...... so quick to judge, twisting facts, >...... How is your son????

No.. she has not yet recanted.. I pray for a softening of her heart that she might someday.

As for my son, he spends his sentence one minute at a time. For what more can he do? In the four years he has been incarcerated.. he has not been in trouble once. Most people who know him.. will say he does not belong there.

It use to be that a woman would complain of being assaulted.. and nothing would happen. The pendulum now swings to the opposite side where one can get convicted just by being accused. There no longer has to be proof.. Just a belief in what a person says. And in that courtroom.. it was her testimony vs his testimony. They simply believed her. For how can one prove they didn't do something?

I don't want to make this thread about my son.. that was not its purpose.. but thank you for asking.

I had to ask... :}

When my mom was away from us hunting with dad my sister got sick. My mother whilehunting heard my sister crying in the breeze....... She knew and acted upon this prompting..... .......

You know.. I can understand that.

Would you believe it if I told you that this little girl also put her Uncle away for 12 years?.. just a year and half before my son.

Believe it!

Now.. if you were the mother... how much protecting would you do of this little girl?

CS Lewis said it best:

There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors, and hail a materialist or magician with the same delight.

C. S. Lewis

It seems to me to be a slippery slope when one tries to communicate with spirits. Remember, Satan has great power in the spirit world.

Who is CS Lewis?

C. S. Lewis was a British scholar and very prolific author. He is best known for his beloved children’s series The Chronicles of Narnia, including The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, considered the most popular children's book of the twentieth century. He was also an articulate theologian who wrote the apologetic work "Mere Christianity"

He articulated quite clearly and made a case for the existence of God. He also tried to explain why intellectuals and atheist do not feel a need for God. He believed this position to be naive at best but arrogant in secret. Quite an interesting guy.

C. S. Lewis was a British scholar and very prolific author. He is best known for his beloved children’s series The Chronicles of Narnia, including The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, considered the most popular children's book of the twentieth century.

Thanks for the info.

He articulated quite clearly and made a case for the existence of God. He also tried to explain why intellectuals and atheist do not feel a need for God. He believed this position to be naive at best but arrogant in secret. Quite an interesting guy.

That reminds me:

A Scientist called upon God and told him that mankind has determined that he is no longer needed.

"You see" he said, "we have figured out how to clone man.. and how to replace a man's heart inside of his body. Things that would have been considered miraculous some time ago is now an everyday occurrence."

"Fine" said God, "But before I sever all ties to mankind.. I would like to propose a contest.. A man making contest. The only rule I have is that he must be made of dirt."

"Great" said the scientist as he was bending over to pick up some dirt in his hands.

"Wait a minute" said God.. "you have to find your own dirt."

Guest GhostRider

Little known Factoid about CS Lewis. after leaving his church he sorta became an aithiest. the man (Among others) that brought Lewis back to the church was a member of his little group called The Inklings. This man was J R R Tolkien. Another author whose works have deep hidden christian meaning. sorry..had to throw that one in.

I am not sure what to think. I was raised to believe that any ghostly/supernatural activity was caused by evil spirits. Period. End of story. However, I have read and heard accounts that just do not make sense only using this rationale.

If all ghostly encounters are completely evil spirits, why do some of them seem to be friendly and cause no harm or play harmless pranks or even help the people involved? What about poltergeists? What about stories where the person involved has been physically harmed by...whatever it is?

I do agree that angels and good spirits that have passed over would be too busy to play these kinds of tricks. My brother has a theory that in death, as in life, we still have agency and some people (both good and bad)--for whatever reason refuse to go over. Another theory that I find interesting is a theory of...psychic echoes for lack of a better descriptor. Basically, if an event is traumatic enough, or violent enough, or intense enough a partial "recording" is left of the event in the spot where it occurs. No actual spirit involved, just an electromagnetic afterimage or something.

I was watching a program last night that was about two children.. ages 12 and 14 who had the ability to see, feel, and communicate with those who have crossed over.

While I was inactive for 20 years.. I had several opportunities to visit with psychic mediums. In all honesty.. they do have that ability to speak with loved ones. And I have learned much about "the other side".

What my question is here.. is why do we think.. (that children who can be as young as 4 or like the two children I mentioned above).. that these children are given this ability?

From the program.. these children did not want or seek their "powers". But now that they had them.. they had to learn about them.. and what to do with them.

As a member of the Church.. do you know of anyone in the Church with these abilities. If so.. what does he/she do about it.. and what does the Church tell us? It seems to me to be more prevalent these days.

I can say from my experience.. that it has given me less faith.. and more knowledge.. that there is life after life. I have experienced first hand communication from my Mother and my ex wife and others who have cross over. Just wondering if anyone else has?

I beleive heavenly father offers the communication thru the holy Ghost when needed much by those whom need to be "kicked in the butt" to get the idea across to them. just as he gave the spirit to the gentiles on the day of the pentacost, but after our attn; has been gotten we must honor and stay worthy in and of the preisthood, anything else such as "mediums" or crystal balls e.t.c... is of no trueness. But to directly answer your queery, Yes this stuff can and does happen, but only when God thinks it to be nessacery.:)

Guest Username-Removed

Disclaimer: This is my own personal opinion

I didnt read all the posts, and I am replying to the original post. First of all, I do believe spirits in paradise do play a role in us getting answers to prayers. I do believe they can guide us as well. Further, I believe that is is a natural extension of the concept of stewardship. Just as we have home teaching and visiting teaching responsibilities, I also believe spirits in paradise also have responsibility for us as living individuals. But in this activity, they rarely act on thier own authority, but on the authority of God, in which they represent.

However, I believe its extremely rare that one of these fine spirits would actually make contact with us outside of thier responsibility or stewardship. Can it happen? - no doubt it can. But only on a very rare occasion - Certainly not for the purpose of entertainment or show business.

The problem with trying to make purposefull contact with spirits who have died tends to bring on those spirits who followed Lucifer and are NOT in the spirit afterlife since they have not and will not recieve a body. They are here, among us, and have knowlege stored on anybody who has ever lived, because they were around when they lived. Thus, we can be fooled by them which is their purpose. Satan uses our love for those that have passed on to fool us. Dont be fooled!

Rightous spirits that have died and now are in the Spirit Paradise are hard at work in the restored gospel. They influence those that are living, they prompt us to make correct decisions, and give us wisdom as part of thier stewardship. They work with the Holy Ghost, and they are part of the master plan.

I could say more on this subject, but I think thats all I would like to share.

I don't think we should attempt to speak with spirits. Years ago when my friend died in a car accident, some girls said they tried to speak with him through a Ouijia board and they were blown away by its accuracy, including the unusual spelling of his name they weren't aware of. I got kind of ticked off and told them that evil spirits would probably know just as much about him and that my friend's death was not a game.

My main interest here is to determine IF there are latter day saints who have this ability.. and what they have done about or with it.

I realize there are many people who have the idea it is all evil.. and I understand that. Personally, I feel.. as in all things.. there is good and evil.

My main interest here is to determine IF there are latter day saints who have this ability.. and what they have done about or with it.

I realize there are many people who have the idea it is all evil.. and I understand that. Personally, I feel.. as in all things.. there is good and evil.

Hummm...you may be wrong on that. According to the scriptures, God plainly states that it is wrong.

He says it is wrong to have the gift?

LOL...just thinking that you call it a gift...I would think it a nightmare if I had some spirit bothering me and trying to tell me stuff. But anyhow, to contact, encourage or to encourage contact from "familiar spirits"

6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

• • •

27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

Just a couple of quotes from the OT.

Some are gifted with the ability to see through the veil, IMO.

Children are much closer to the LORD than some of us (they were just there!)

I think it's natural that the veil is a little thinner for them.

But the ability to do it on command or at your own will? No, I don't believe in that.

Hey, look at this post!

To add to it, I've heard of people who have Patriarchal Blessings that mention them seeing beyond the veil.

LOL...just thinking that you call it a gift...I would think it a nightmare if I had some spirit bothering me and trying to tell me stuff. But anyhow, to contact, encourage or to encourage contact from "familiar spirits"

6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

• • •

27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

Just a couple of quotes from the OT.

Well.. I am not going to be rude to the people who feel it is a "gift". And many do. I guess you would have to ask them how they feel about it.

I do not have this "ability". (is that better?) I was wondering if any active Mormon did?

Well.. I am not going to be rude to the people who feel it is a "gift". And many do. I guess you would have to ask them how they feel about it.

I do not have this "ability". (is that better?) I was wondering if any active Mormon did?

I have. . . something. I can communicate with trees. Maybe someday I'll tell you what they did for me and one of the greatest lessons taught to me by a newly created tree stump.

My sweet daughter along with someone yet to be born saved my life when I tried to commit suicide at the age of thirteen. I heard their voices cry for me to stop and to think of them.

Before my sister was born she stopped my mother from taking a pill that would have severely harmed her (it was the wrong pill and she didn't know it).

My deceased Grandmother likes to be at special family events, such as my sister's Temple Marriage. My deceased Grandfather watches over my brother sometimes. I think my deceased Great Aunt does too.

However, for any of these things to be noticed, one must be spiritually attuned. When I was a child it was much easier to converse with the trees. Now I have to work at it and if the Spirit is not with me the path, the connection, is closed. I am not the only one in my family with this sort of sensitivity.

What do I do about it? Share my stories when the Spirit moves me to. I generally do not talk about the trees because it freaks people out and makes them think that I am going Wiccan, nevermind the fact that all things have Spirit, and thus I believe that all things have a sort of spiritual memory that can be revealed to someone who is properly attuned.

Does Satan attempt to use these things against us? Oh yes, very much so, but as long as I am aware of the traps, and know & live the principles of the Gospel and strive to keep the Spirit with me I can not be deceived.

How about this one then.

Few years ago when my wife and i were staying the night at wifes sisters place i happened to be in the lounge laying down watching the tv, my wife and her sister were in the kitchen chatting. It was around midnight, i was not tired and was watching a late night western (all this has stayed with me)

I remember very well what happened, this is what happened, in order of events, i remember very clearly.

I closed my eyes as if to blink as if in slow motion, when i opened them slowly the room had taken on a strange amber low light/glow, like someone had turned a dimmer switch down, of which there was none, i was not afraid at all, now the feeling i had throughout was a feeling of warmth, and contentment, and like being packed in loose cotton wool, i would best describe it as a complete feeling of tranquility. As i have said i was not afraid at all, and this was because it seemed a natural state to be in, and how it had always been, no shock at finding myself in this situation, just normal, no "help whats happening" just completely normal with the wonderful/beautiful feeling of tranquility, which i already mentioned. Oop's nearly forgot, the tv which was still on at this time was completely silent.

I then decided to get up from where i was laying, I got up as one would normally get up and walked halfway across the room, i stopped because i heard a commotion, from where i did not know at the time, i turned to see myself still lying down, still no worries arose in me, what i did see at this time though was my good freind Mark sitting in the armchair on the opposite side of the room, this was the only time i was a little concerned/confused, he sat there with his hands on each of the arms of the chair, now the funny thing i suppose is that he never said anything to me and i said nothing to him, which at the time dident seem strange, but i remember my thoughts which were, "hang on thats Mark, but he is in Ireland" but i still said nothing, as i said, this was the only time i felt any concern at my situation. Then at that moment i opened my, and i can only put it this way, mortal eyes, everything was back to normal, the sound of the tv, the lighting, and there was no Mark.

I went into the Kitchen and asked "what was all the noise about" and was told that they had heard nothing, and to go back and watch tv.

Right are you still with me guys.

This all happened as i said at around midnight on sunday. I forgot to say that Mark was my wifes sisters boyfriend, who has returned to his home in ireland a couple of months previous, and i had not heard from him, but was awaiting his return.

On the monday at midday, my wifes father turned up looking very troubled and told us to sit down as he had something to tell us. Anyway he told us that early that morning he had had a phone call from Marks parents informing him that Mark had crashed his motorcycle into a tree at around midnight and was Killed instantly, It was then that i realised that the commotion i had heard was at the scene of the accident, people rushing about, shouting, probably trying to help Poor Mark, but to no avail.

I never spoke about my experience for a long time, and i do not think i have ever mentioned it to Marks girlfreind even though she was in the same house at the time.

Now down to the reasons i experienced what i did indeed experience.

Was i made/prepaired by our father in heaven to experience what had happened to me, i like to think so, I feel i had to be in spirit the same way Mark was, remembering i said nothing to him and he said nothing to me. So i did not attempt to contact or speak to spirits, this thing just happened, the feeling was beautiful and yes i would love to feel that way again, but there is no way that a person can do this at will. If i had not been prepared, the physical me would not have been able to cope with the situation and would have probably been terrified, but being the same as Mark made it normal.

Mark did know that i was a very spiritual type of person, and that i did believe that life was to precious to just end here, he also knew that i beleived in our heavenly father.

Just maybe, because he had not ascended to wherever, he was allowed to visit me,i do not know, but he did, rightly or wrongly, and if rightly then somebody prepared me to recieve him.

Please let me know what you think, again i never attempted for this to happen, i never knew Mark had been killed in that tragic accident, why he wanted to come to me, why me and not his girlfreind i do not know.

I know for a surety that god is my father, i know that Jesus lives, and i believe in the power of the Holy Ghost.

And i know for a surety that Life goes on beyond the vail.

Edited by jimuk

The scriptures speak plainly of the existence of both angels and evil spirits. The scriptures also speak plainly of communication between man and these angel/spirits.

My own experience is that many of us have angels attending us, usually more than one. They are often, but not always, related to us, or we may have had a pre-mortal connection with them. They are best described as guardian angels.

The scriptures make it clear that angels appear as a result of faith, either our own faith or through the faith of those close to us (e.g. Alma the younger and his Dad).

The danger is not in communicating with angels. The danger is in mistaking all supernatural manifestations as sent from heaven.

I have. . . something. I can communicate with trees. Maybe someday I'll tell you what they did for me and one of the greatest lessons taught to me by a newly created tree stump.

I know of people who can communicate with animals. We laugh about Dr Doolittle.. but there are many things that are out there that are truthful.. and we just don't know about it all. And the things we don't know about.. we assume that if it is not in the scriptures.. then it can't be true or it is of Satan.

Remember.. Joseph Smith said there are many things he knows about that he could not tell us because we are not ready. Do you think those things are in the scriptures?

I agree with Roytucker: The danger is not in communicating with angels. The danger is in mistaking all supernatural manifestations as sent from heaven.

Jimuk, you were probably attuned and Mark's g/f was not. Maybe she would have reacted badly to the experience. Or maybe it was because you were alone. Whatever the case may be I believe it was to help prepare you for the news.

MrNirom, I agree with roytucker as well. I also believe that all such odd experiences will be explained. Either piece by piece through revelation or when Christ returns.