Monalatrism

VisionOfLehi

New word for me, which I believe is more accurate than henotheism.

I'll just quickly define some religious stances... Which do you think is more accurate for LDS?

monotheism - the doctrine or belief that there is only one God.

polytheism - the doctrine of or belief in more than one god or in many gods.

henotheism - the worship of a particular god without disbelieving in the existence of others.

monaltrism - the worship of only one god although other gods are recognized as existing

" Henotheism is similar but less exclusive than monolatry because a monolator worships only one god, while the henotheist may worship any within the pantheon, depending on circumstances."

"Monolatry is not the same thing as Henotheism, which is the belief in and worship of one God without at the same time denying that others can with equal truth worship different gods.[2] The primary difference between the two is that monolatry is the worship of one god who alone is worthy of worship, though other gods are believed to exist, while henotheism is the worship of one god, not precluding the existence of others who may also be worthy of praise"

Of note is that footnote 2, which is for Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, second edition (Salt Lake City, UT: Bookcraft, 1979), 351.

Does anyone have page 351 available?

Is this it?

See ATHEISM, DEISM, GOD, HENOTHEISM, PLURALITY OF GODS, POLYTHEISM THEISM. Monotheism is the doctrine or belief that there is but one God. If this is properly interpreted to mean that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — each of whom is a separate and distinct godly personage — are one God, meaning one Godhead, then true saints are monotheists. Professing Christians consider themselves monotheists as distinguished from polytheists, those pagan peoples who believe in a host of gods whose powers are exercised only in their own fields.

It is falsely supposed in the sectarian world that monotheism is the contribution of the Hebrew people to the religious philosophy of the world. They contend that belief in one supreme God began with Abraham, was further established by Moses, but was not fully taught nor understood until Amos and the later prophets. Actually, of course, the true knowledge of God was first revealed to Adam and was known to all the saints from his day to Abraham.

Pagan tribal gods were the creation of the imaginations of apostate peoples, just as the creeds and apostate views of God which prevail in mode Christendom are the result of forsaking the truth. When Moses issue the great proclamation — "Hear O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord" (Deut. 6:4) — he was but reiterating a great truth known to all the prophets who precede him.

As the "Cristian world" wont allow us be monoteistic with our toughts of Godhead beeing all thre of them together of wich we worhip the Father YET there beeing 3 separate gods ... I think this new word mono... (thats is the skeeing shoe in finnish)... eh monalrism is closest.

I can still see only a single difference between Trinitarianism and the LDS view. And, that difference is not actually defined by the definition of the Trinity as far as I can tell. The difference is the corporeal nature of the Father Himself, which as far as I know is not precisely defined by the Trinity doctrine anyway.

-a-train

Guest HEthePrimate

Hmmm, I'm still trying to decide between monolatry and henotheism. Monolatry because we normally worship the Father and because Jesus said that only the Father is good (which could be interpreted as 'worthy of praise'). On the other hand, in the scriptures people are shown worshipping Jesus, and He doesn't tell them to stop, which would tend to support henotheism.

I can still see only a single difference between Trinitarianism and the LDS view. And, that difference is not actually defined by the definition of the Trinity as far as I can tell. The difference is the corporeal nature of the Father Himself, which as far as I know is not precisely defined by the Trinity doctrine anyway.

-a-train

The LDS view is that there are three gods, and in fact the potential for many more. In fact, humanity might eventually be exalted...at least some...to Godhood. No matter how complicated you may find Trinitarian theology, it does maintain that God is one, and that there is not and can never be any other.

The LDS view is that there are three gods, and in fact the potential for many more. In fact, humanity might eventually be exalted...at least some...to Godhood. No matter how complicated you may find Trinitarian theology, it does maintain that God is one, and that there is not and can never be any other.

No. Some will reach godhood, or exaltation, which is... well, what modern Trinitarianism refers to as joint-heirs with Christ, being crowned with glory, etc. It's definitely mentioned in the New Testament and is not an LDS-only belief.

Our understanding and emphasis of it is what is different. The wording which choose to use is, on occasion, unfortunate.

"Absolutely" monotheistic, to me, would be one God. We'll call him... Allfather. There is no Son. No Holy Ghost. No aspects, dynamics, functions, however it's chosen to be phrased. Just Allfather.

Trinitarianism would be monotheistic, yeah! I don't argue that. But very strictly it seems to be a different kind.

Technically, henotheism is a type of monotheism.

But I'm thinking this is all too much bother, :lol:

No. Some will reach godhood, or exaltation, which is... well, what modern Trinitarianism refers to as joint-heirs with Christ, being crowned with glory, etc. It's def[initely mentioned in the New Testament and is not an LDS-only belief.

Whether that g/G is small or large depends. Yes, I know that you expect to continue to worship the Heavenly Father throughout eternity. And, yes, I expect to be exalted and to rule and reign with Christ. However...do I expect to ever BE worshipped? Do I expect that I will ever have subjects that will praise and worship me, rather than Heavenly Father? Absolutely not. Do you? Or, is this an area of uncertainty, with much speculation that is unofficial, or not church doctrine?

"Absolutely" monotheistic, to me, would be one God. We'll call him... Allfather. There is no Son. No Holy Ghost. No aspects, dynamics, functions, however it's chosen to be phrased. Just Allfather.

Monotheism is the belief in one and only one God. That's what we believe. I readily admit that Jews and Muslims do not accept our doctrine as being possible. They contend that there cannot be one God who is three co-eternal persons. But, we say that there is, that He alone is God, and that we worship him alone.

Trinitarianism would be monotheistic, yeah! I don't argue that. But very strictly it seems to be a different kind.

Well...it's either the right kind or not. :D Jews say that we are polytheists, and Muslims say that we are infidels.

Technically, henotheism is a type of monotheism.

That's an open question to me. Did the Jews believe that the gods of Caanan were real, but simply choose to worship the God of their ancestors? Or, did they believe the religions of the surrounding nations to be false, based on non-deities...creations made of wood, silver and gold?

Some have argued the former, and parts of the Bible point to the latter. I'd argue that believing our one God is the strongest and most righteous of all the gods is not monotheism. But, I can see that it is at least a debate.

Perhaps each each Galaxy, each Mega Galaxy [made up of multi-galaxies] have a supreme being in-charge. If I was to count the amount, I would use the pattern of the Council Twelve and the three Presidency Godhead as the key to amount mega-galaxies there is within this universe.^_^