some questions as i investigate the church

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so can someone explain to me the priesthoods?

Well, I was hoping another volunteer would take this one; I seem to be the point man though, so here's my response:

(1) The official word: LDS.org - Topic Definition - Aaronic Priesthood____

and

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Melchizedek Priesthood

(2) An interesting site about Mechizedek: Melchizedek as a Divine Mediator

Now, for my personal and biased reply:

The priesthood is the power and authority to act in God's name on earth. It is predicated on our worthiness to act so, and on our receiving the priesthood by the laying on of hand, by those in authority (other priesthood holders who were authorized to give the priesthood).

I maintain that this authorization is an OUTWARD ordinance that is not truly effective in the priesthood holder's life until the INWARD fullfillment is given. Nevertheless, ordinances done by the priesthood holder are recognized as valid as long performed in accordance to Church requirements.

For example, at 16 years old, my son was ordained a Priest in the Aaronic priesthood and then baptised my eight year old son into the Church. Our Bishop authorized the ordinance, so all is appropriate and correct.

Each office in the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods has specific responsibilities (see links above for details). The heirarchy is:

Aaronic : Deacon, Teacher, Priest

Melchizedek: Elder, Seventy, High Priest, Patriarch, Apostle

A Teacher can do anything a deacon can do, as well as a few more things. Each office includes the 'right' to perform everything granted to the lesser offices.

Is that a good start?

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly

it helped alot! thanks! and btw im sorry if im asking too many questions but i do apperaciate how the help

No problem, I just don't want to monopolize. If you did a search on the word "Aaronic" or "melchizedek" here, you might find some interesting threads.

HiJolly

ok so update time iv decied to go the my (catholic) chruch and keep reading the book of mormon im still not sure which church has the truth so i guess i need to keep praying

Of course -- you should try attending an LDS service too (if you haven't). There's generally no pressure whatsoever.

Hi-I am a Catholic on here too! I would encourage you to read and study as well as visit an LDS service-I need to do that too.

There are many differences in our faith traditions. I would also encourage you to talk to a Catholic Priest/Deacon as well as a missionary of the LDS Church and ask any questions you have of each. I encourage you to read the Book of Mormon as well as The Catechism of the Catholic Church-to learn more about each faith tradition including your own.

We can grow by learning about other faith traditions.

-Carol

ok so update time iv decied to go the my (catholic) chruch and keep reading the book of mormon im still not sure which church has the truth so i guess i need to keep praying

bmy-, I think you are one of those rare few that thinks the Adam/God theory makes sense. Most find it very confusing; possibly why it was never accepted whole heartedly.

The Creator being the Created being the Creator always seemed like something you would read in Amazing Stories to me. Perhaps some idea that Robert Heinlein could have woven into one of his books. I think for most people it poses an unsolvable paradox and when you add in the cloned Eve idea, it becomes imponderable.

You can purchase the Catechism of the Catholic Church in any bookstore-or read it free at the following Link:

USCCB - Catechism of the Catholic Church

Here is a searchable version:

English Translation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church with Search Utility

-Carol

Sorry to interject here, but could I read the Catechism of the CC, Abqfriend?

Where could I locate a copy?

Thx

The Baltimore Catechism 1891, revised 1941-is no longer considered the latest official Catechism of the Catholic Church in the US -as it preceeded the Church Council of Vatican II and has a -question and answer format. It also was meant for a US audience only.-hence the name Baltimore Catechism. It also does not have the thousands of Biblical and Church documents footnotes which give a source for the Church's teaching and understanding on a given subject. The Baltimore Catechism is indeed easier to read-but it is not the latest understanding of the Catholic Church.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church -was brought together by the Teaching Authority of the Catholic Church called the Teaching Magesterium and is meant for all to read. It is indeed first addressed to our Bishops-but then to all adult members of the Church.

USCCB - Evangelization and Catechesis | The Catechism

The Baltimore Catechism leaves out the changes in the Catholic Church since Vatican II.

I agree The Catechism of the Catholic Church is lengthy and it is not easy reading--but it can be read by most any adult and gives an overview of Catholic teaching, practice and doctrine. It is used World-Wide.

It is used in our adult classes of doctrine and teaching as the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants might be used in the LDS Churches in instruction of its members and potential members.

Carol

Misshalfway, here is the Baltimore Catechism, if that might be simpler.

The Baltimore Catechism

I know that I like simple. Go figure. :lol:

Edited by abqfriend

Hello, Shadow Hunter,

I hope you were able to find satisfactory answers to your questions. I've been reading through all the threads, and it seems they left off from what you had originally asked into theological debates at times. Sorry!

One neat thing the LDS church teaches is that all of us, through baptism, can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. My testimony of the LDS church comes through this source. If it would be helpful, there are many scriptures in the Bible and the LDS standard works that describe the manifestations of the Holy Spirit. He is why I am a member to this day. I really appreciate the LDS belief in continuing revelation, and also individual revelation, from the Spirit. I feel very close to God through this, every day.

Another wonderful thing is our belief that God is our Heavenly Father, and that He loves each one of us. You too can have a wonderfully fulfilling relationship and closeness with God through the Holy Spirit.

Feel free to ask all the questions you have, that's the way you get answers!

Take Care and best of wishes in your search for Him.

Dove