some questions as i investigate the church

Hi Ceeboo. I can't call you carl. You will always be fondly Ceeboo to me! :)

I hear your confusion and perhaps frustration with what seems like contradiction in these crazy threads. Look. We believe that God has a body of flesh and bone. That Jesus does too and that the Holy Ghost is a personage, or in elementatry terms, looks like man but is a a spirit so that he might accomplish his vast job of touching the hearts and minds of the children of men. We don't believe that one becomes the other or that the Father became the son and visited earth for a time. We believe that they are indeed three separate entities that are the "same" God because they are one is purpose. If by this it appears that we believe in more than one God.....then the answer is yes we do. We believe in three. But, we pray to one. The Father to us all in the name of Jesus Christ and he answers back thru the Holy Ghost so it is kinda hard to separate the other two from the process, if you see what I mean.

With regards the the subject of speculation, I thank MNN. I think that was a very good answer.

Please understand that speculation happens. It happens in my church and I am guessing it happens in yours. There are bible scholars who sit in rooms and read really big books and think really big thoughts. And sometimes.....when speculation gets popular and well known.....it can become confusing. But please try to understand that when talking of the origin of God and the details of what it means to eternally progress there are more questions than answers in terms of what has been revealed thru the prophet for the earth to understand on this subject.

And it is also important to understand that prophets have questions and opinions too. Many of our prophets write inspiring books and papers BUT they are not sanctioned or endorsed by the church. We trust their words as good.....but only when they speak from the pulpit in official capacity do their words become official.

And please understand that the subjects of godhood and mary's conception are NOT the core doctrine of this church. We are talking about the fringe.....the tiny budding limbs of the tree. Not the trunk or even the branches.

Is that clear as mud?

Good morning Misshalfway,

Because of my confusion on these threads ( " clear as mud " :)) I have read a couple sermons, 1. " King Follet " given by JS from the pulpit as a prophet, 2. BY speaking as a prophet regarding Adam being one in the same as God.

I must say that the offerings of the two IMHO leave verry little room for " speculation " or

" prophets " speaking not as prophets.

It was clear, to me anyway, That JS spoke under " official authority " when he offered that

" God was once as we are now, and is an exalted man " " I will take away the veil so you all may see that God was once a man on an earth" " You must learn how to become Gods yourselves " to state a few.

This " JS King Follet sermon " confuses me further as to why so many LDS claim that there is alot of " speculation " or " opinions " and no " prophetic leadership regarding the teachings of this doctrine??:confused:

God bless,

Carl

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Misshalfway,

Because of my confusion on these threads ( " clear as mud " :)) I have read a couple sermons, 1. " King Follet " given by JS from the pulpit as a prophet, 2. BY speaking as a prophet regarding Adam being one in the same as God.

I must say that the offerings of the two IMHO leave verry little room for " speculation " or

" prophets " speaking not as prophets.

It was clear, to me anyway, That JS spoke under " official authority " when he offered that

" God was once as we are now, and is an exalted man " " I will take away the veil so you all may see that God was once a man on an earth" " You must learn how to become Gods yourselves " to state a few.

This " JS King Follet sermon " confuses me further as to why so many LDS claim that there is alot of " speculation " or " opinions " and no " prophetic leadership regarding the teachings of this doctrine??:confused:

God bless,

Carl

Somebody else can surely answer this better than me. I am sure. Where is Ram when I need him??? Hahahha

Any why wouldn't you be confused? If I were you and reading that and reading these forums, I would be confused too.

I don't think the issue is over whether or not we teach this particular sermon. The issues come when we try to answer all the questions that such a sermon brings. Those are the parts that are speculative and unconfirmed by further revelation.

The King Follet Discourse has not been accepted as part of our canon. There are many quetsions surrounding it. I am sure others on this forum can recall the detail better than I. So I will leave it to them to answer.

Eternal progression ..... becoming like God.....joint heirs with Christ......godhod. Yes. We understand these PRINCIPLES to be true.

And the Adam- God theory never was accepted as doctrine either.

It is best, imo, for someone who is looking at the doctrine of this church to start with basics and work their way to these ideas. We don't take the king follet discourse to discussions with investigators or to church with us on Sunday.

Edited by Misshalfway

Has anybody here ever read The Starlight Crystal by Christopher Pike? Gives an interesting perspective on the whole "one eternal round" thing and the "once a human - always a God" thing. I found it very interesting. (even though Pike is obviously not LDS, he unintentionally deals with some very LDS-related themes, IMO)

I've already posted about God being a man, so lets take on Adam/God. You say you have read 1 sermon by B.Y. on this, have you also read the 100's of sermons by B.Y. talking about Adam and God being seperate? Anytime he talked about the creation he made this clear. SO what was B.Y. talking about when he mentioned Adam/God -- we don't know. Latter Prophets have confirmed this and totally put to rest the Adam/God statement, so why does it bother you so when even Prophets have no clue what B.Y. was talking about?

It has nothing at all to do with your salvation, put it back on the shelf where it belongs along with all the rest of the Gospel mysteries.

I have much more problems with Pharohs magicians turning their staff's into snakes (and then Aaron turning his staff into a larger snake that ate the smaller ones) see EXODUS 7

I've already posted about God being a man, so lets take on Adam/God. You say you have read 1 sermon by B.Y. on this, have you also read the 100's of sermons by B.Y. talking about Adam and God being seperate? Anytime he talked about the creation he made this clear. SO what was B.Y. talking about when he mentioned Adam/God -- we don't know. Latter Prophets have confirmed this and totally put to rest the Adam/God statement, so why does it bother you so when even Prophets have no clue what B.Y. was talking about?

It has nothing at all to do with your salvation, put it back on the shelf where it belongs along with all the rest of the Gospel mysteries.

I have much more problems with Pharohs magicians turning their staff's into snakes (and then Aaron turning his staff into a larger snake that ate the smaller ones) see EXODUS 7

It's just IMO but the Adam-Michael/God theory makes great 'sense'. It adds.. a certain something.. a sense of love perhaps. Of course this should be a new topic if we want to discuss it.. and not in an investigator topic (so we don't scare them off, haha!).

[i'm such a heretic.. :commando: ]

I know. But... those mortals who know, don't tell. :ph34r: The snake thing is a whole 'nother story. I'm still working on it, but I do have some nifty clues.

Truly, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple, and beautiful. Keep that in mind.

HiJolly

It's just IMO but the Adam-Michael/God theory makes great 'sense'. It adds.. a certain something.. a sense of love perhaps. Of course this should be a new topic if we want to discuss it.. and not in an investigator topic (so we don't scare them off, haha!).

[i'm such a heretic.. :commando: ]

You look awfully young to be a heretic.. But hey, welcome to the club.

HiJolly

It's just IMO but the Adam-Michael/God theory makes great 'sense'. It adds.. a certain something.. a sense of love perhaps...

bmy-, I think you are one of those rare few that thinks the Adam/God theory makes sense. Most find it very confusing; possibly why it was never accepted whole heartedly.

I believe that God exists in time and space but also exists outside of it as well, since I believe God created time and space.

PS - Has your baby been born yet?

You are correct about God existing outside of space and time. Although we don't know exactly what that means, it is true. Look at Facsimile 2 from the Book of Abraham: Facsimile No. 2

Figure 1 represents:

Kolob, signifying the first creation, nearest to the celestial, or the residence of God. First in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time.

Most of the ignorant folks out there say we Mormons believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob. This is not true and all they need to read is simply that one explanation in the Book of Abraham. Kolob is a 'creation' (we don't really know if it is a planet or a galaxy or a black whole or a peanut or, or, or...). Kolob is also 'NEAREST' to the 'residence of God', it is NOT the residence of God itself. And, getting to the point, it is the last creation 'pertaining to the measurement of time.'

Joseph Smith said this of the Great Jehovah:

'the past, the present, and the future were and are, with Him, one eternal "now"'

(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pp220)

God is not limited to the confines of time as we are. He is not forever locked into the present, but He is in all time, He is in eternity. We are passing through the experience of time as did our LORD. It is said of Him that He 'is from all eternity to all eternity' (D&C 39:1) He is the only one of us to pass through time from eternity to eternity without sin, without losing His way. It is for this purpose that He is called the Eternal One, the Unchangeable One, or 'I Am'.

PS We will have a baby next Tuesday one way or another.

-a-train

The Adam-God Theory (Which should be called the Adam-Elohiem Theory):

Brigham Young taught that Adam was God, but not God the Father or Elohiem, not Jesus Christ of Nazareth, not the Holy Ghost. He simply taught that Adam's position as the first man having all dominion and priesthood authority over this earth makes him the God of this earth in that sense and in that sense alone. Brigham always maintained that Adam's position was subordinate to the Godhead of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

It was not until years later that people looking back at his comments made the theory that perhaps God the Father and Adam were and are one and the same and that Brigham was trying to tell us so. The theory is perpetuated by anti-mormons, apostates, and good intending mormons who are simply not yet fully read on the subject.

The name 'Adam God-Theory' does NOT suggest that the notion was a theory in the mind of Brigham Young or the early LDS leaders. This term applies to the theory later supposedly based on their teachings. It is said that the 'theory' was taught in the temple and by the leadership of the Church. This is simply not true, what was taught was nothing more than Adam's position, not that He is Elohiem.

Church leadership did NOT EVER endorse the theory that Adam is Elohiem whatsoever. Church leadership has always maintained the notion concerning Adam's position. However, to avoid confusion and to steer clear of the theory that Adam is Elohiem, leadership has been very careful not to even look as if they believe in it. Wording that was used in hymns and in the temple was changed to avoid misconceptions, not to change Church teachings.

It is still the doctrine of the Church that Adam holds his singular priesthood position as Michael the Archangel, that He was indeed involved in the creation of this earth, and that he indeed was given all dominion and priesthood authority over it. Further, he shall sit in judgment at the Final Judgment and all priesthood keyholders will report to him. However, none of this makes him Elohiem.

The most commonly quoted words of Brigham Young on the subject come from the Journal of Discourses Section 1 page 50 (here). If you will notice, it contains this often skipped sentence:

It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Now, I ask you, how is it that Michael and Eloheim are the same being when they are 'three distinct characters' 'forming a quorum'?

He also explains that Adam came into the Garden from another sphere having a body. Does this mean that Adam is Elohiem?

Yes, Brigham taught that Adam is God, and he is. But no Church leader ever said that Adam is Elohiem.

-a-train

Edited by a-train

It is still the doctrine of the Church that Adam holds his singular priesthood position as Michael the Archangel, that He was indeed involved in the creation of this earth, and that he indeed was given all dominion and priesthood authority over it. Further, he shall sit in judgment at the Final Judgment and all priesthood keyholders will report to him. However, none of this makes him Elohiem.

I love the Adam/Michael = Ancient of Days thing. Never been rescinded by the Church as far as I know. ^_^

HiJolly

I remember learning about that in Seminary, but no where else really. The significant roll Adam-ondi-ahman will play in the Last Days, and Adam's meeting with all of the Bishops (it is the Bishops, right?) is very rarely mentioned in church, and I've always wondered why. I found it to be fascinating. And Article 10 of the Articles of Faith makes a bit more sense when you know about that doctrine.

Adam was an immortal being when he came on this earth. He had lived on an earth similar to ours; he had received the priesthood and the keys thereof, and had been faithful in all things, and gained his resurrection and his exaltation, and was crowned with glory, immortality, and eternal lives, and was numbered with the Gods (for such he became through his faithfulness), and had begotten all the spirits that were to come to this earth. And Eve our common mother, who is the mother of all living, bore those spirits in the celestial world.

(Quotation from John Nuttall, Brigham Young's personal secretary, who recorded in his diary portions of instructions from President Young about the temple ordinances when they were started again in the Endowment House, before the SLC temple was finished. As I said, this is from his diary. Nuttall was instructed to record.)

Moving on.. this is a discussion I had with a friend not to long ago. I'll paste the relevant part.

"He is also Michael, the Archangel (or highest angel), the leader all angels and the hosts of heaven. This means that at the great meeting at Adam-ondi-ahmen before the Second Coming of Christ, all priesthood keys will be given back through the Patriarchal Order to Adam. Only after the second coming, will Adam give all the keys of this world to Jesus Christ. Now, if you look closely at the scriptures -- Who is the father of all living, the leader of all those born on earth and the hosts of heaven, and the only person who hold all Priesthood keys and gives that authority in all things to Jesus Christ? It is God the Father."

Sorry -- I couldn't resist the urge to derail this topic. I've always thought of the Michael-Father God theory as ..

Creation: Michael (Father), Jesus (Son), Head of the Gods (council) (Elohim).

Edited by bmy-

I remember learning about that in Seminary, but no where else really. The significant roll Adam-ondi-ahman will play in the Last Days, and Adam's meeting with all of the Bishops (it is the Bishops, right?) is very rarely mentioned in church, and I've always wondered why. I found it to be fascinating. And Article 10 of the Articles of Faith makes a bit more sense when you know about that doctrine.

In a sense yes but no, if you are referring to Bishops only.

Hoyt Brewster remarked, before the ushering in of the Millennium, a second great gathering of Adam's righteous posterity will take place in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. President Joseph Fielding Smith provides us with a description of this grand occasion:

Not many years hence there shall be another gathering of high priests and righteous souls in this same valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. At this gathering Adam, the Ancient of Days, will again be present. At this time the vision which Daniel saw will be enacted. The Ancient of Days will sit. There will stand before him those who have held the keys of all dispensations, who shall render up their stewardships to the first Patriarch of the race, who holds the keys of salvation. This shall be a day of judgment and preparation. . . .

This council in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman is to be of the greatest importance to this world. At that time there will be a transfer of authority from the usurper and impostor, Lucifer, to the rightful King, Jesus Christ. Judgment will be set and all who have held keys will make their reports and deliver their stewardships, as they shall be required. Adam will direct this judgment, and then he will make his report, as the one holding the keys for this earth, to his Superior Officer, Jesus Christ. Our Lord will then assume the reins of government; directions will be given to the Priesthood; and He, whose right it is to rule, will be installed officially by the voice of the Priesthood there assembled. This grand council of Priesthood will be composed, not only of those who are faithful who now dwell on this earth, but also of the prophets and apostles of old, who have had directing authority. Others may also be there, but if so they will be there by appointment, for this is to be an official council called to attend to the most momentous matters concerning the destiny of this earth.

When this gathering is held, the world will not know of it; the members of the Church at large will not know of it, yet it shall be preparatory to the coming in the clouds of glory of our Savior Jesus Christ as the Prophet Joseph Smith has said. The world cannot know of it. The Saints cannot know of it—except those who officially shall be called into this council—for it shall precede the coming of Jesus Christ as a thief in the night, unbeknown to all the world. (WP, pp. 289-91; italics added; see also TPJS, pp. 157-58.)

In a revelation dealing with the sacrament, the Lord identified a number of individuals who would be present with him at some future occasion when he would "drink of the fruit of the vine with you on the earth." (D&C 27:5.) Could this be a grand sacrament meeting? Could it be the great gathering of the righteous in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman?

While we may not have all answers, this much we know: Before the great day of the Lord—the second coming of Son Ahman (Son of the Man of Holiness)—there will be a powerful meeting of prophets, apostles, and other righteous Saints in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. Perhaps these inspired words of W. W. Phelps will be sung on that sacred occasion:

This earth was once a garden place,

With all her glories common,

And men did live a holy race,

And worship Jesus face to face,

In Adam-ondi-Ahman.

We read that Enoch walked with God,

Above the pow'r of mammon,

While Zion spread herself abroad,

And Saints and angels sang aloud,

In Adam-ondi-Ahman.

Her land was good and greatly blest,

Beyond all Israel's Canaan;

Her fame was known from east to west,

Her peace was great, and pure the rest

Of Adam-ondi-Ahman.

Hosanna to such days to come,

The Savior's second coming,

When all the earth in glorious bloom

Affords the Saints a holy home,

Like Adam-ondi-Ahman.

("Adam-ondi-Ahman," Hymns, 1985, no. 49.)

im sry to keep asking such deep questions on what was meant to be an intro theard i just have alot of questtions anyway im wondering what was meant by when brigam young said that joseph smith will judge us on the last day isnt the bible clear that jesus is the the judge of the living and the dead or did young just not say that ive listened to the wrong ppl

im sry to keep asking such deep questions on what was meant to be an intro theard i just have alot of questtions anyway im wondering what was meant by when brigam young said that joseph smith will judge us on the last day isnt the bible clear that jesus is the the judge of the living and the dead or did young just not say that ive listened to the wrong ppl

As I understand it, Joseph Smith is the head of this dispensation. So he holds the keys to the Gospel ordinances being performed in the latter-days. If one receives the saving ordinances today, it is essentially under his authority.

In the New Testament, what does Jesus tell his apostles? He tells them that they will be 12 judges over Israel, in much the same manner. God gives judgement to the Son; The Son gives judgement to the 12; and so forth. I personally believe it goes all the way down to you and I. WE JUDGE.

We do it under the Light of Christ, with no deception, no misrepresentation, no mistakes. The Heart of the judged, in sync with the Light of Christ. That's not doctrine, but I suggest it is of great value nonetheless.

HiJolly

Moroni 7:

16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

• • •

18 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge ye shall also be judged.

HiJolly

hi everyone i am currenlty reading the Book of Mormon and investigating the church and ive got some questions. let me preface this by saying im not trying to be rude or anything and i rly am seeking truth.

1. Are Satan and Jesus brothers?

2. What is meant by becoming gods

3. Are there any belifies or teachings that are withheld intill a person becomes a member of the church.

I am not a Mormon myself, but I learn about them a lot. In LDS teaching, Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers of each other and of all of us. Mormons believe that we human beings pre-existed our birth on Earth in our bodies. But we forget what happened when we came to Earth. We cannot see beyond the veil. Becoming a god is only open to some Mormons (and no non-Mormons). If one makes it to the celestial kingdom then, and only then, is it possible to become a god. The LDS seem to often like to downplay this idea, but it is one of their teachings. For example, in the King Follett Discourse, of Joseph Smith, we read that God was once a human being on Earth. Then he died. Now we all have the chance to become like Him. This sermon is readily available online (just google it if you want). While the Saints seem to be less than totally forthcomming (and even misrepresent themselves?), at times, they do seem to teach all of their beliefs to pre-members, or, at least, they all seem to be more or less available to a potential convert. There are, however, things which go on in the temples that they only tell members. And then, I think, they only "tell you" as you are going through the temple. Those going through the temple are sworn to secrecy not to reveal what they have seen therein.

As someone who has studied a great deal about Mormonism, and not come to accept it in the process, I can say that, in my opinion, you ought to be extremely cautious before you decide to fully join, if you ever do so decide. An extremely strong case can be made, and has been made, in my opinion, for what I would say is the falseness of much Mormon teaching. There are many books which are traditionally labelled "Anti-Mormon" by LDS people but these need not be appealed to in the making of a case against Mormon teachings and interpretations. The documents written by Mormons themselves, together with the Bible (which Mormons accept as authoritative), are all that is needed, in my opinion, to show the falsehood which I, for one, find in Mormonism. Whether the Saints really are a false church or not, you'll have to decide for yourself, but as far as I can see personally, based on my own research, I recommend you do not join. This is my own personal advice and conclusion.

To address just one small part of Evangelical's post:

Exaltation ("becoming a god" or becoming like god) is *absolutely* open to non-Mormons. If, while in the Spirit World (a place where the Spirit goes post-death but pre-Judgement), a non-Mormon person accepts the proxy ordiances performed for them in the Temple, then the door is opened to them to all of the blessings and rewards the Father has to offer. The Lord does not play favorites.

Edited by Jenamarie

I am not a Mormon myself, but I learn about them a lot. In LDS teaching, Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers of each other and of all of us. Mormons believe that we human beings pre-existed our birth on Earth in our bodies. But we forget what happened when we came to Earth. We cannot see beyond the veil. Becoming a god is only open to some Mormons (and no non-Mormons). If one makes it to the celestial kingdom then, and only then, is it possible to become a god. The LDS seem to often like to downplay this idea, but it is one of their teachings. For example, in the King Follett Discourse, of Joseph Smith, we read that God was once a human being on Earth. Then he died. Now we all have the chance to become like Him. This sermon is readily available online (just google it if you want). While the Saints seem to be less than totally forthcomming (and even misrepresent themselves?), at times, they do seem to teach all of their beliefs to pre-members, or, at least, they all seem to be more or less available to a potential convert. There are, however, things which go on in the temples that they only tell members. And then, I think, they only "tell you" as you are going through the temple. Those going through the temple are sworn to secrecy not to reveal what they have seen therein.

As someone who has studied a great deal about Mormonism, and not come to accept it in the process, I can say that, in my opinion, you ought to be extremely cautious before you decide to fully join, if you ever do so decide. An extremely strong case can be made, and has been made, in my opinion, for what I would say is the falseness of much Mormon teaching. There are many books which are traditionally labelled "Anti-Mormon" by LDS people but these need not be appealed to in the making of a case against Mormon teachings and interpretations. The documents written by Mormons themselves, together with the Bible (which Mormons accept as authoritative), are all that is needed, in my opinion, to show the falsehood which I, for one, find in Mormonism. Whether the Saints really are a false church or not, you'll have to decide for yourself, but as far as I can see personally, based on my own research, I recommend you do not join. This is my own personal advice and conclusion.

The problem with worldly subjectiveness, it is overruled through the Holy Ghost as He confirms the truths that are asked. In my case, the church is true. Yes! Be careful which side of the fence you sit on...:D

Hi-I am a Catholic myself. I encourage Evangelical and others to go to the source! In the LDS Church-that includes the Old and New Testaments, the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. Books about the LDS church may be good or bad-but they are not the same as reading the Source! Sometimes we get bogged down on a particular detail in our study and lose the overall message being given.

I find much good and Christian in the teachings of the LDS Church.

-Carol