Bummed

Misshalfway

Ok... so I have totally gained more weight! So discouraged. I did two months of total discipline and then gained 10 pounds. How is that possible? I am so sad.

I know I need to just pick myself up and get moving again, but I am just discouraged. I am not super heavy but I haven't weighed this much in my life (not even when I am pregnant) and have always been thin in the years before I had babies.

I am struggling with what diet to do. I have this issue with systemic candida. It is literally driving me crazy. My skin is constantly feeling like spiders are crawling on it. And I know that I need to starve the yeast. I have the cleansing diet and have attempted to start it. But it is so hard to do and I am lacking serious commitment. So then I think...just do a basic diabetic diet and take the probiotics. Yet I am gaining weight. Yuck!

I know my body is older (38) and I am wondering if the weight gain is a hormonal thing. All I know is that I have skinny dreams every night only to wake up to my big fat....(choosing my words)....bum!!

Can someone help me get my brain in the right thinking space so that I can succeed? I want to lose 30 lbs by Christmas. I think the diet piece is my stumbling block. I know I am a huge comfort eater and I sabotage myself. So hate that, but its the truth and denying it ain't helpin nobody.

HELP!

Woa woa woa. Okay, I do NOT believe in dieting. They are ALL fads, and never long lasting. Don't even waiste your time. Just learn to discipline yourself with portion control, get aquainted with what's in the foods you eat and you will soon get a feel for waht's truly healthy for your body. Keep that up with steady exercising and your body will not only lose weight but be HEALTHY! As for your skin, drink lots and lots of water and get pleanty of sleep. The old typical answers I know...but they work. :)

Hidden

PS- every morning after my shower I put on Aveeno's daily moisturizer and I put it on after I remove my make up at night!! I don't put a lot but it has SPF in it as well so it protects your skin during the day and refreshes it at night after a long day with yucky make up on! :) I loove it, and my husband loves how my face smells so clean when I got to bed at night!! It's improved my skin a lot!

Halfers, I don't have any specific advice or help to offer, other than that I'm not sure it's entirely healthy to lose 30 lbs by Christmas, and I think that weight gain IS hormonal. Also, here's an offer of a free diabetic dessert cookbook (comes along with an entire diabetic literature kit, but hey...!). I heard about it on a cooking blog I read.

are you just dieting or dieting and working out? i agree that diets don't work. you have to just eat healthy, but don't diet. but if you're working out, remember that muscle weighs more than fat. a friend of mine was losing lots of inches but gaining weight and couldn't figure out why. well she was working out TONS. so just keep that in mind. and good luck!

I've tried many programs over the years...the only one that ever worked for me was Weight Watchers. Not that I'm advertising for them etc...but they were the only one that taught me to eat in moderation and how to make choices. Just need to get back on it again. I felt so much better while on that program.

LOL...I must have your metabolism. I did calorie counting....but more of a *eat healthy* and this amount tack to it....this actually meant I was eating more than I normally would have *sheesh, what a surprise*.

I put on weight...about 5 kgs...and rapidly. Didn't actually lose a half kilogram even for more than three months. But when I did start losing weight...it was great...but yeah, how frustrating to be doing all that and seeing zip result.

From this experience I learnt:

why people give up on dieting.

Now when people are struggling with their weight say how much effort they have put into it and that it's not working I totally understand (rather than writing it off as they aren't doing it right or aren't all that committed).

this is my first time looking on this forum and I was actually going to post about this very topic...I started jogging in March and changed my eating habits...I had lost about 35 pounds...until recently...I have had trouble not eating everything in site and have lost my desire to jog or workout, I have gained about 5 pounds back and counting...I need to get back up and get started again...but how???

I lost twenty pounds in two months, but guys generally have an easier time of it.

Forget ideas of discipline and the like, since dieting shouldn't be a chore. Instead, do the following:

1) Drink only water - No soft drinks, orange juice or anything of the like.

2) Buy only fresh fruit - No canned, jammed or otherwise altered fruit.

3) Never go grocery shopping hungry.

4) Don't eat out.

Using those rules, I had simple and balanced diets. I also had something neat called 'My Personal Weight Loss Coach' for the Nintendo DS. It help me set reasonable goals in exercise and diet and let me monitor how much food I was having. It was fantastic.

I'm in the same boat, not doing anything that different but gaining weight. In my case, it's hibernation (seasonal affective disorder). My metabolism slows down and I have huge cravings for bad carbohydrates. It's usually January or February before I start to get back in control.

So, MHW, if you're having the same thing, trying to lose weight before Christmas isn't going to work. Wait until after the winter solstice. Resisting carbs is about the only thing I can do until then. And keeping my daily walk string alive: now 2 years, 12 days without a miss.

are you just dieting or dieting and working out? i agree that diets don't work. you have to just eat healthy, but don't diet. but if you're working out, remember that muscle weighs more than fat. a friend of mine was losing lots of inches but gaining weight and couldn't figure out why. well she was working out TONS. so just keep that in mind. and good luck!

Oh man, I RARELY ever weigh myself either. I base my weight loss on how my clothes are fitting!

MHW, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting yourself in shape..I've recently started attending the gym again, I haven't been for the past 3 weeks cos of health problems, but I had been attending 2/3 x weekly since the end of May and hadn't lost even 1lb!! I haven't been doing weight training so didn't feel I was gaining muscle, however people who see me now comment that I look as if I've lost weight, even tho the scales tell me otherwise...

So, consult a dietician regarding any special diet for your condition, hopefully you will be able to adapt whatever diet you need to follow to your own preferences, and keep working out as much as you can, sensibly, and use a tape measure rather than weighing scales..don't try to lose more than 1 or 2lbs per week however, as that isn't sensible..

Good Luck!! :)

1) Drink only water - No soft drinks, orange juice or anything of the like.

2) Buy only fresh fruit - No canned, jammed or otherwise altered fruit.

3) Never go grocery shopping hungry.

4) Don't eat out.

These are GREAT suggestions. I would add one more. If you shop at Costco or Sam's Club or somewhere similar that frequently has samples available...don't take them! You are (1) taking in extra calories that you may not be accounting for, and (2) often more likely to purchase that item if you try it.

I heard a girl talking about her post baby weight loss once. She said, and I quote, " Everyone always told me rudely that I was just one of the lucky ones that naturally lost all my baby weight. I kindly told them that I just didn't believe my butt got smaller by sitting on it!!" hahahahaha. So true, you really have to get up and do it instead of just planning it or talking about it. I have the worst time with that one!!!

exactly kira. weightloss shouldn't just be based on eating healthy. a big part is also getting up and moving. i read in fitness magazine about one of the challenges they did to lose weight. one lady lost 20 pounds just from marching on spot during commercials on tv instead of channel surfing. of course, there are better ways to be active, but if that's all a person feels they can do (i understand it's hard getting motivated sometimes...) then at least it's SOMETHING.

Folks, other than water weight loss, the way to lose weight is to take in less calories than you burn. For some it is to burn more calories than you take in. Activity helps to tone muscles and more muscle burns more calories.

If your body burns 1,200 calories a day, as an example, and you eat 1,000 calories a day you will lose one pound every 15 days, approx.

Now the pound you will lose will depend on when you eat and what. Will it be a pound of muscle due to inactivity and then since you lost a pound of muscle you will, without doing anything other than being alive and breathing, use less calories and so if you keep eating the same you will lose less, and more muscle loss you will burn less. Go back to eating normal and you will gain weight because you have less muscle to burn calories.

Once you understand that it should not be hard to lose weight.

I think the challenge for most is really knowing how many calories are in everything you eat. Especially things you consider healthy.

Ben Raines

Now the pound you will lose will depend on when you eat and what. Will it be a pound of muscle due to inactivity and then since you lost a pound of muscle you will, without doing anything other than being alive and breathing, use less calories and so if you keep eating the same you will lose less, and more muscle loss you will burn less. Go back to eating normal and you will gain weight because you have less muscle to burn calories.

So what you're saying is that we need to stop spending so much time on this website and go out and walk instead? Is that my problem? :P

Halfway, i think what the couple said just below your post is right on! I don't count calories, i do not go on diets. I have flipped the coin so to speak, I NOW enjoy being a little more hungry and I like that feeling! I have lost 26 pounds since June 1st, The biggest baddie was peanut butter and ice cream, oh how I love peanut butter, ice cream, and mountain huckleberry ice cream. Little portions, etc. if you don't want to eat it try not having it in the house! Winter will be here before we know it, this summer i ate lots of garden vegies. I will have to ramp up on my efforts, body stretching and mindfulness...... humm oh yea, i also ask Heavenly Father to help me daily. Ps. I sure do enjoy what you write, its funny and free wheeling.

Ok... so I have totally gained more weight! So discouraged. I did two months of total discipline and then gained 10 pounds. How is that possible? I am so sad.

I know I need to just pick myself up and get moving again, but I am just discouraged. I am not super heavy but I haven't weighed this much in my life (not even when I am pregnant) and have always been thin in the years before I had babies.

I am struggling with what diet to do. I have this issue with systemic candida. It is literally driving me crazy. My skin is constantly feeling like spiders are crawling on it. And I know that I need to starve the yeast. I have the cleansing diet and have attempted to start it. But it is so hard to do and I am lacking serious commitment. So then I think...just do a basic diabetic diet and take the probiotics. Yet I am gaining weight. Yuck!

I know my body is older (38) and I am wondering if the weight gain is a hormonal thing. All I know is that I have skinny dreams every night only to wake up to my big fat....(choosing my words)....bum!!

Can someone help me get my brain in the right thinking space so that I can succeed? I want to lose 30 lbs by Christmas. I think the diet piece is my stumbling block. I know I am a huge comfort eater and I sabotage myself. So hate that, but its the truth and denying it ain't helpin nobody.

HELP!

First things first....diets are for the most part poop....big cow paddies.

This is the diet I follow:

Big breakfest: This is what I had for the past two days:

English muffin with peanut butter, apples, and bacon in between....absolutely delicious, healthier than one might think, and may I mention delicious? It's a big, nutritious energy booster. I also had yogurt, cus I'm a sucker for the stuff.

Second tip: Just get rid of snack food.

After imploring my mom to stop buying bad food when she finally did I felt a sense of loss. I actually wandered the kitchen, trying to find 'the good stuff'. And yet....I couldn't get it. My favourite snack right now is sharp apples with sharp cheese. Don't look so much for sweetness or breadiness (as I like to call it). Roll the food around on your tounge, taste not just one item, but all of the working together! It's just like the Godhead, distinct in personage, but working together for something marvelous.

Third tip: Review your goals....constantly...and view why you want to accomplish them.

My goal right now: Get in incredible shape (Sub goal is get a wicked six pack and good torso)

I had to find a good reason for the first goal, something better than "I want to look good" or "I want to look healthier". The reason I have found that works best for me is, "So that I can accomplish God's will". I have internalized this reason time and time again. I have come to believe that God needs someone strong not only spiritually, but mentally and physically. Who knows when he might require one of these attributes? If I can provide him with a body capable of taking on the most difficult of tasks I am in a much better position to serve him.

The other reason is: I want to look good for the girlfriend.

Final tip: Make a plan in you journal, keep a nutrition and exercise journal.

You're goal should not be to gain or lose weight, but to become fit...period. I currently weigh more than I did back in my 'flabby period', but it has become for the most part lean, healthy muscle. If you are exercising don't just stick to cardio or weightlifting, do both in conjunction. Weight lifting helps muscles use up fat, the more you have the more fat you lose when doing cardio.

A few other things I wanna throw in :-)

Stop using huge dinner plates for your meals. Buy a few small 7" salad plates, and have those be your "meal" plates. People tend to fill up the plates that they have. 1/2 of that plate should be covered with veggies or a salad. Then 1/4 protein, then go ahead and have the small baked potato that you know you want. Of course...it's better if you find a way to eat it without all of the butter, sour cream, and bacon bits...but that's up to you and what you want to lose.

DO snack in between meals. I know everyone has heard this lately, but it is a good practice. Have a string cheese or a yogurt. Get in some dairy for the day. Generally if you focus on making sure that you get the nutrients and the water that you should be getting throughout the day, a lot of times you'll find that you're not really hungry for anything else.

It's been a while since I saw the nutritionist, and my body works differently (I had gastric bypass last year), but in trying to work with my niece and nephew who begged for my help. I made a little booklet for them to cross off what they're eating every day, and I only gave them 1 new thing to focus on each week. For the first week, their booklet only had 8 "w's" for each day. As they drank a glass of water (and I showed them the size it that it had to be), they could cross off a w. That gives them a healthier way to "obsess" over food while they're re-learning good habits. The next week I added pictures of 3 cartons of milk to represent 3 servings of dairy that they should be getting each day, as they're growing kids. I then continued over the next couple of weeks adding 3 v's, for veggies, then rounded it off with fruit for each day. They're still allowed to have a "treat" if they would like...but only after they've had everything that they're supposed to have first. I found that with focusing on what they should be eating rather than focusing on that they can't...they're actually doing well. Sure, they'll still have a brownie here or there...but it's now as a "dessert" after having gotten the nutrition in, rather than "just because it's there" and having it replace the good stuff they should be having.

They still struggle with the protein...it can seem like a LOT to have to eat in a day...but I cut them a little slack on that as long as they make sure to have some form of protein with each meal. We'll start to get more strict later. To start, I only implemented 1 little change each week.

Not sure that helps anyway, but it seems to be working for them :-) Just a thought!

Edited by justme78
Because I can't type properly at 6am when I haven't slept, hehe.

Halfers, I don't have any specific advice or help to offer, other than that I'm not sure it's entirely healthy to lose 30 lbs by Christmas, and I think that weight gain IS hormonal. Also, here's an offer of a free diabetic dessert cookbook (comes along with an entire diabetic literature kit, but hey...!). I heard about it on a cooking blog I read.

What do they say? Two-three pounds a month, maybe a pound a week is good for weightloss?

Lose, but lose carefully.

O43

• 1 month later...

You and me both. SO about 6 months ago I went to the doctor and was a little surprised at how much I weighed. So I thought, ok, I'll eat less. So I've been very unrestricted trying to eat less. I cut out soda. I do have a sweet tooth. Well just went to the doctors and I gained 20 pds. I was shocked. 20 pounds!?!?! I'm blaming stress and birth control and the cosmos being out to get me. Yes, not my fault. SO ummmm, I guess I'll just say that I love you:)

You and me both. SO about 6 months ago I went to the doctor and was a little surprised at how much I weighed. So I thought, ok, I'll eat less. So I've been very unrestricted trying to eat less. I cut out soda. I do have a sweet tooth. Well just went to the doctors and I gained 20 pds. I was shocked. 20 pounds!?!?! I'm blaming stress and birth control and the cosmos being out to get me. Yes, not my fault. SO ummmm, I guess I'll just say that I love you:)

I am liking the theory of the cosmos being against you! :lol: It must be against me too. Perhaps I should go on an anti cosmos protest..... demand my right to skinny thighs!:lol::lol::lol: