What is a truly repentant attitude?

This is a really good question and one I find myself wondering about some times too. When I've messed up in my life, I pray to Heavenly Father and ask to feel properly sorry for what I've done, to realise that what I've done is not good and to really feel it! Some times it could be like a little kid taking a cookie from the cookie jar. The little kid isn't going to feel bad about taking that cookie unless he/she knows that taken that cookie without asking is wrong. Do you know what you have done is wrong? If you do you feel guilty and that is part of how you should feel when you want to repent as you acknowledge you have sinned. The next part is to feel sorry for what you have done. So you feel bad and your sorry that you've messed up. The next part is that we are sorry for betraying our father in heaven and we are also sorry for betraying the descision we made before we came to Earth in the great war in heaven. The descision we'd follow Jesus Christ by sinning we dig those nails into our savior. The next part of the repentant attitude, I think, is to feel truly sorry for betraying those things. So in a nutshell. Realising what we've done wrong (the feeling guilty). Being sorry for what we've done (to ourselves and any one we've harmed). Then realising how we've betrayed our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. Perhaps not in that order. Anyway thats my idea and it's a good idea to pray to have these feelings if you are thinking, I know it was bad but I just don't feel bad about it kinda thing. Hope that helped! =)

Perhaps Godly sorrow as the bofm describes or being willing to give up our sins to know God. Maybe it is also being willing to accept God's will for our behavior over our own....letting our will be swallowed up into his.

I think too often we are too hard on ourselves and we feel an incorrect proportion of guilt. Or perhaps the pain of the guilt sears us to severely and so we justify ourselves or get defensive or even angry.

Being sorry and being willing to change our course, repair any damage we may have caused and then move on in obedience.

During the process of setting my life in order, My Stake President told me that to be truly repentant.......we had to become the type of person that would never had committed those sins to begin with. That if we could travel back in time and be faced with those decisions, we would never choose the sin.

A "mighty" change of heart is what is required...and that takes time. A resolve to never recommit the sin and a determination to always do what the Lord requires. President Kimball said that we are not truly repentatnt unless we fulfill our duties. Attend all three hours, pray and fast, tithe and do our home teaching. Repentance is indeed developing a Christ like attitude in all things. Placing one s faith in the atonemnt is essential to change....allowing it to work a miracle and it will......it has in mine.

Edited by bytor2112

I think the Book of Mormon gives several great examples of people who were seeking forgiveness. Enos, the Lamanite king (Alma 22), Alma's repentance (Alma 36), and the Nephite people as they prayed when Jesus was with them, are examples.

The Lord often uses terms as broken heart and contrite spirit, to denote what sacrifice we are to offer Him. Those who sought repentance described their prayers as "crying to the Lord". When I think of the word, "crying", I think of tears, deep yearnings inside my soul, intense emotion to receive heavenly help.

I believe we all need to study these examples of repentance, notice the verbs and adverbs used to describe the events. Then ponder how we can also seek that level of desire, etc.

Have you heard that Tracy Byrd song "The Truth About Men"?

It don't matter what line we give you when we come crawling in,

We ain't wrong, we ain't sorry, and its probably gonna happen again.

A repentant attitude is the exact opposite. You know you were wrong, you feel genuine sorrow, and you forsake your sin such that it won't happen again.

LM

James A. Cullimore, “Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance,” Ensign, Dec 1971, 85

President Harold B. Lee has expressed this so beautifully:

“That confession must be made first to him or her who has been most wronged by your acts. A sincere confession is not merely admitting guilt after the proof is already in evidence. If you have ‘offended many persons openly,’ your acknowledgment is to be made openly and before those whom you have offended that you might show your shame and humility and willingness to receive a merited rebuke. If your act is secret and has resulted in injury to no one but yourself, your confession should be in secret, and your Heavenly Father who hears in secret may reward you openly. Acts that may affect your standing in the Church, or your right to privileges or advancement in the Church, are to be promptly confessed to the bishop whom the Lord has appointed as a shepherd over every flock and commissioned to be a common judge in Israel. He may hear such confessions in secret and deal justly and mercifully, as each case warrants. … Following confession, one in sin must show forth the fruits of his repentance by good deeds that are weighed against the bad. He must make proper restitution to the limit of his power to restore that which he has taken away or to repair the damage he has done.” (Youth and the Church [Deseret Book Co., 1970], p. 99.)

Lesson 12: Repentance,” Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3, 42

“The mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is to call people everywhere to repentance. Those who heed the call, whether members or nonmembers of the Church, can be partakers of the miracle of forgiveness. God will wipe away from their eyes the tears of anguish, and remorse, and consternation, and fear, and guilt. Dry eyes will replace the wet ones, and smiles of satisfaction will replace the worried, anxious look.

“What relief! What comfort! What joy! Those laden with transgressions and sorrows and sin may be forgiven and cleansed and purified if they will return to their Lord, learn of him, and keep his commandments. And all of us needing to repent of day-to-day follies and weaknesses can likewise share in this miracle” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], pp. 367–68).

Kenneth L. Higbee, “Forgetting Those Things Which Are Behind,” Ensign, Sep 1972, 83

A newspaper editor, speaking to a college graduating class, asked, “How many of you have ever sawed wood? Let’s see your hands.”

Many hands went up.

Then he asked, “How many of you have ever sawed sawdust?”

No hands went up.

“Of course, you can’t saw sawdust!” he exclaimed. “It’s already sawed! And it’s the same with the past. When you start worrying about things that are over and done with, you’re merely trying to saw sawdust.”

Too many people make themselves miserable by dwelling needlessly on their past failures and mistakes. They lie awake at night agonizing over the mistakes they have made and what they should have done. Almost everyone occasionally does thoughtless, impulsive things that bring unpleasant consequences. Almost everyone occasionally misses golden opportunities through apathy or oversight. Almost everyone may be occasionally selfish or unkind.

We cannot help feeling despair over such occasions, but we should not feel as if we ought to be exiled from the human race simply because of them. In fact, mistakes are not only an acceptable part of life, but they may even be beneficial. The intelligent use of our mistakes helps us learn and grow; past failures may be guideposts to future successes. But our failures and mistakes can be constructive only if we analyze them, gain what profit we can from them, and then forget them.

Paul wrote, “… this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before.” (Philip. 3:13.) Many other people have recognized the fact that sometimes one of the best things we can do with the past is to forget it.

The Lord has promised us that he will forgive us if we repent, and that in fact he will remember our sins no more. (D&C 64:7; D&C 58:42.) Think for a moment about the significance of this promise. If we truly repent of a sin, then as far as the Lord is concerned we are as clean as if we had never committed that sin.

Just how to go about repenting has been expressed in many different ways, but an easy one to remember is the five “R’s” of repentance: (1) recognize you have done wrong; (2) feel remorse for the wrong; (3) resolve to change; (4) reform, or act on your resolve; and (5) make restitution for the wrong.

I thought these excerpts were eloquent and explained repentance and having a repentant attitude much better than I am capable of doing. ^_^

~TG

Looking at the search engine, there over 2700 speeches/articles/Ensign articles regarding this subject to choose from:

The Meaning of Repentance

in Ensign Aug. 1988 by Theodore M. Burton

...Ensign >> 1988 >> August The Meaning of Repentance By Elder Theodore M. Burton Of the First ... mail Theodore M. Burton, "The Meaning of Repentance," Ensign, Aug 1988, 6-9 Because of the Savior's Atonement, repentance is a beautiful word and a marvelous refuge...

First Presidency Message The Gospel of Repentance

in Ensign Oct. 1982 by Spencer W. Kimball

... First Presidency Message The Gospel of Repentance By President Spencer W. Kimball * Next ... mail Spencer W. Kimball, "The Gospel of Repentance," Ensign, Oct 1982, 2 Just as the prodigal ... Father has blessed us with the gospel of repentance. It is central to all that makes up the...

Sin and Suffering

in Ensign July 1992 by Dallin H. Oaks

...and cannot be removed without prolonged repentance. During one week last month, a knowledgeable ... then make a speedy and relatively painless repentance and soon be as good as new? The Book of ... redeem men "from their sins because of repentance" and upon the "conditions of repentance...

Repentance

in Ensign Nov. 1991 by Neal A. Maxwell

...day Saints Ensign >> 1991 >> November Repentance Elder Neal A. Maxwell Of the Quorum of ... Previous * Print * E-mail Neal A. Maxwell, "Repentance," Ensign, Nov 1991, 30 Image With you ... For some months, I've tried to emphasize repentance, one of the most vital and merciful doctrines...

The Path to Peace and Joy

in Conference Report, October 2000 by Richard G. Scott

...the blessing of true, sincere, continuing repentance, the path to peace and joy. It is a conduit ... and used, a dear and precious friend. Repentance is not optional. An angel commanded Adam ... they small or profoundly serious. Full repentance results in forgiveness with spiritual renewal...

The Miracle of Change

in Ensign July 1992 by Joseph Walker

...Parents can help youths discard myths about repentance and find spiritual growth. In retrospect ... was. Still, it's comforting to know that repentance, Heavenly Father's plan for eternal change ... miracle of forgiveness is real, and true repentance is accepted by the Lord." (For the Strength...

Repentance: The Key to Eternal Progression

in BYU Speeches 2001 by W. Gibb Dyer - 15 May 2001

...Back to Speeches Home Back to this item. Repentance: The Key to Eternal Progression W. GIBB ... second principle of the gospel, that of repentance. I know many of you have heard talks and ... journey to salvation. Why My Interest in Repentance? One might wonder why I'm interested in...

Sin and Suffering

in BYU Speeches 1990 by Dallin H. Oaks - 5 August 1990

...understand the principle and purpose of repentance, including its relationship to sin and ... and cannot be removed without prolonged repentance. During one week last month, a knowledgeable ... then make a speedy and relatively painless repentance and soon be as good as new? The Book of...

Repentance and Conversion

in Ensign May 2007 by Russell M. Nelson

...Latter-day Saints Ensign >> 2007 >> May Repentance and Conversion Elder Russell M. Nelson ... * Print * E-mail Russell M. Nelson, "Repentance and Conversion," Ensign, May 2007, 102- ... responded, "there is hope. Hope is linked to repentance. You can change. You can `come unto Christ...

The First Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel

in Ensign Oct. 2000 by Bruce D. Porter

...Gospel," Ensign, Oct 2000, 8 Faith and repentance, baptism and bestowal of the Holy Ghost ... Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission ... shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission ...

Helping Children Repent

in Ensign Apr. 1985

... them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, ... the sin be upon the heads of the parents ... children need to know that only through repentance can they return to live with their Heavenly ... need to teach our children not only what repentance is, but also to have a proper attitude ...

Finding Forgiveness

in Ensign May 1995 by Richard G. Scott

...beautify our course. The process is called repentance; the destination is forgiveness. If you ... all who qualify for forgiveness through repentance and obedience. 4 The Redeemer can settle ... forgiveness through the merciful path of repentance. 5 Full repentance is absolutely essential...

The Healing Power of Christ

in BYU Speeches 1984 by J. Richard Clarke - 27 March 1984

.... What shall we cry? Cry comfort, cry repentance, cry hope. Because recognition of our part ... with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare ... every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should...

Psychology And Repentance

in BYU Speeches 1994 by Allen Bergin - 4 October 1994

...Home Back to this item. Psychology and Repentance ALLEN E. BERGIN --------------------- ... many of you came today. I plan to speak on repentance, and it is good to have so many sinners ... As we approach the weighty matters of repentance, let us remember the positive side of our...

The Divine Power of Repentance

in Ensign Nov. 1974 by Bernard P. Brockbank

...> 1974 >> November The Divine Power of Repentance Elder Bernard P. Brockbank Assistant to ... Bernard P. Brockbank, "The Divine Power of Repentance," Ensign, Nov 1974, 56 Image My dear ... kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matt. 3:2.) Repentance is a divine principle and is required for...

Singing the Song of Redeeming Love

in Ensign Mar. 1993 by Joseph Walker

... need to discover the joyful concept of repentance, one of the fundamental principles of the ... the privilege of telling you that your repentance is complete. You are restored to full fellowship ... identified the joyfully redemptive concept of repentance as the second principle of the gospel, ...

"I Was in Prison, and Ye Came Unto Me"

in Ensign Dec. 1971 by Bishop Victor L. Brown

...Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance Elder James A. Cullimore Assistant to ... Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance," Ensign, Dec 1971, 85 Image As I look ... transgressors and assist them in their repentance. Unfortunately, many in the last category...

I Have a Question

in Ensign Mar. 1999

... command in D&C 6:9 to "say nothing but repentance"? George F. Hilton, "I Have a Question ... Lord's commandment to "say nothing but repentance" is His succinct summary of how individual progress (repentance) is the means whereby He will accomplish...

Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance

in Conference Report, October 1971 by James A. Cullimore

...Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance Elder James A. Cullimore Assistant to ... Confession and Forsaking: Elements of Genuine Repentance,A* Ensign, Dec. 1971, 85 As I look out ... transgressors and assist them in their repentance. Unfortunately, many in the last category...

Repentance: A Mighty Change of Heart

in BYU Speeches 1999 by Brent W. Webb - 18 May 1999

...Back to Speeches Home Back to this item. Repentance: A Mighty Change of Heart BRENT W. WEBB ... visited by an angel who called them to repentance. Later, after his conversion, Alma the ... the healing and strengthening power of repentance. The spiritual cardiomyopathy I have described...

First Presidency Message God Will Forgive

in Ensign Mar. 1982 by Spencer W. Kimball

...sin would be impossible but for the total repentance of the individual and the kind mercy of ... redeem them from their sins because of repentance." (Hel. 5:10-11; italics added.) Such ... . Hope is indeed the great incentive to repentance, for without it no one would make the difficult...

Point of Safe Return

in Ensign May 2007 by Dieter F. Uchtdorf

...and at all places with the blessings of repentance and forgiveness. Image During my training ... but we also declare with firmness that repentance and forgiveness can be as real as sin. ... and eternally operative principle [of] repentance" (Gospel Ideals [1953], 13). "For salvation...

Justice and Mercy

in Conference Report, April 1974 by James A. Cullimore

... rather than on accomplishing their own repentance. A* The Lord may temper justice with mercy ... [the] offenders for forgiveness through repentance.A* (CR, April 1954, p. 11.) GodA*s laws ... transgressor to understand is: When does repentance become effective? When are the demands ...

Parables of Mercy

in Ensign Feb. 1987 by Richard Lloyd Anderson

...not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:32.) That terse answer is, of ... the Son of God came to call all men to repentance--because all mankind has sinned. But some ... righteousness is so dangerous: it prevents repentance and keeps a person from developing the ...

Do Not Delay

in Conference Report, October 1999 by Henry B. Eyring

...Matt. 24:50A*51). The temptation to delay repentance comes not only at the end of the world ... Lord Jesus Christ, by deep and continuing repentance, and the making and keeping of sacred covenants ... days of probation. Any choice to delay repentance gives him the chance to steal happiness...

So, I'm trying to work through some tough times in my life, at the moment, and this question came to mind. What is a truly repentant attitude? I figured if anyone could help me, aside from Father Above, my brothers and sisters here could! Any thoughts are welcome!

D&C 58: 43

43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.

Repentance can be done is sorrows or in joy. It depends what you have been taught and know of God and His gospel.

First of all Repentance is turning away from that which is evil and turning towards which is Good.[Walking in the Light as Christ is in the Light]

---------------------------

<> Repentance in Sorrows often drives the Holy Ghost away...and this is the time when we need him most. With sorrows often comes despair and defeatism.

<> Repentance in Joy is the acceptance of our errors and we know that often a penalty is incurred. Chastisement follows and we are grateful for it. Because we know that we learn obedience by the things we suffer.

Hebrews 5:8 - Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Repentance is learning to WALK in the LIGHT AS CHRIST IS IN THE LIGHT.

1 John 1:7 - But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Peace be unto you

bert10

So, I'm trying to work through some tough times in my life, at the moment, and this question came to mind. What is a truly repentant attitude? I figured if anyone could help me, aside from Father Above, my brothers and sisters here could! Any thoughts are welcome!

Here is a statement from the lesson this week in the Joseph Smith manual:

“I know that the cloud will burst, and Satan’s kingdom be laid in ruins, with all his black designs; and that the Saints will come forth like gold seven times tried in the fire, being made perfect through sufferings and temptations, and that the blessings of heaven and earth will be multiplied upon their heads; which may God grant for Christ’s sake.”

I suggest anyone who is struggling with anything or feels burdened by life's trials today prayerfully read this lesson. It is titled, "Stand Fast Through the Storms of Life" (Lesson 19). If anyone had trials and storms during their life it was Joseph Smith, right up until the end where he watched his beloved brother, Hyrum, die as he held him.

There is hope. All we have to do is endure but for a season, place our faith and trust in Christ, and the trials, pains, and hardships of this life will be swept away and glory and happiness will reign.

I believe repentance is a change of heart where we turn from our struggles with oursleves and focus on and realize our deep love and debt owed to G-d and others.

The Traveler

Whenever I feel like this, I read through Alma chapter five and prayerfully study and reassess my spirituality.

I really like verses 14 and 26. The entire chapter is an excellent introspection passage. It took me a long time to understand and feel verse 26 in my life.

Alma 5

Nephi's Psalm is another very heartfelt and enlightening passage:

2 Nephi 4

D&C 58: 43

43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.

But at the same time, you don't have to walk up to everyone and say "Yes, I [insert sin here] once upon a time, but now forsake it! How are you?" do you? The bishop would be enough for some of these things, right?

In fact, I feel sorry for bishops at times, having to hear all these sins.

There's a saying of mine: If you don't have gray hair by the time you're a bishop, you soon will. :P

But at the same time, you don't have to walk up to everyone and say "Yes, I [insert sin here] once upon a time, but now forsake it! How are you?" do you? The bishop would be enough for some of these things, right?

There's a saying of mine: If you don't have gray hair by the time you're a bishop, you soon will. :P

So true. Confession could mean to Heavenly Father....or the Bishop if necessary.

Not sure what your point is.

You know, ElderBigDawg, that is an interesting point, but I wonder if it doesn't refer to the attitude in general, just confessing you have sinned by the way you live your life. Isn't abstaining from the sacrament if you are unfit to take it a way of confession? Also, maybe it refers to someone who takes rebukes submissively, as we all should strive to. :)