Prepared to defend yourself?

NeuroTypical

Does someone in your home own a gun or other means of self defense?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Does someone in your home own a gun or other means of self defense?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

I strongly believe that firearms are very important for home defense. My other passion other than emergency preparedness is firearm self-defense. I teach classes committed to empowering women in physical and firearm self-defense, for women - by women. This education is in part through a proprietary shooting method which teaches accurate and competent execution, even in climatic scenarios. I blog about this topic almost daily. If you are interested check out my blog... Women of Caliber

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I miss this poll?

I have plenty of guns (including a collection from a friend of mine who can't have them anymore -- felony conviction) and always have. Plenty of ammo, too. Gave half of it to a friend (in fact, the guy whose guns I now have) and still had enough to classed as a terrorist organization.

For home protection, I'd prefer a shotgun, particularly if I'm using it under low- or no-light situations. Street-Sweeper comes to mind but is probably over-kill. Actually, for no-knock warrants, I'd like to get a couple of claymore mines for the front door.

For preparedness? I don't really think other people will be much of a threat. But the simplest hand gun or .22 will get you plenty of protein. Stray and former pet canines. Preferred eating in much of the world today and certainly in Pre-Colombian America.

Sweet! As of April 13, here are poll results:

Does someone in your home own a gun or other means of self defense?

Yes 50 64.10%

No 26 33.33%

I really am surprised, even I'm sure this poll is heavilly impacted by self-selecting bias, I really didn't expect to see more than 40 or 50%.

Women Of Caliber - great blog!

Captain, yes indeed 'providing food' is a perfect reason to have a gun. We have a little .22 rifle for just that purpose. Lots of rabbits in our neighborhood.

LM

• 1 month later...

For most cases righteousness and wisdom will keep you safe, for extreme cases guns are good, but train your body, without a healthy body weapons can do nothing. Also some swords and shurkens, martial arts are good to obtain because our right to bear arms can be taken from us.

How do you figure? What if, because of your righteousness and wisdom, God just gave you enough of a hint of your surroundings to allow you to detect a threat and pull your weapon to defend your loved ones in the nick of time?

Did righteousness or wisdom keep Joseph Smith safe?

That's one reason I started this poll. We've all heard folks just laugh and say "I'll just come over to your house when things get bad." But I've also heard maybe 3 or 4 stories of people saying they'll come armed.

Comments like "I don't need food storage, I've got my gun and mormon neighbors".

These sentiments drive me CRAZY! My response? There’s a lot of assumption by a person who believes that they will even be able to MAKE it to my home for food, water or other supplies. What’s to say that they haven’t moved by the time a disaster strikes, or that they are trapped in their home due to a nuclear blast or a pandemic quarantine for a long period of time? PLANNING on going somewhere else in order to survive is NOT a plan.

Sharing is voluntary. If I have a choice of bringing someone into my “community” who has been faithful and has done all that they could do to prepare and can contribute to the strength of the survival of the community, then they are going to get first dibs on what I have to contribute. A community is only as strong as its weakest link. Can any community afford to take on a dangerous liability or vulnerability and risk the lives and health of all others involved? A person who has willfully, belligerently, and defiantly ignored all reasonable warnings of preparation is not an asset to anyone else. (A Crisis of Choice Preparedness Pro)

That said, I am absolutely prepared to defend myself. We have firearms, lots of ammo and we know how to use 'em.

In my independent research, I have found that women are purchasing firearms -- and many are mothers. A mother purchasing a gun may be counterintuitive to the majority of the world. These mothers are slowly becoming aware that they are usually the only point of defense in their child’s life. Even in a two-parent home, the mother is around the children the most, thus most responsible for their protection and safety. Although when one thinks of a mother they usually think of a kind, nurturing, loving, and caring woman. But these mothers nowadays are definitely showing their “lioness” side to them as well.

. . . For home protection, I'd prefer a shotgun, particularly if I'm using it under low- or no-light situations. Street-Sweeper comes to mind but is probably over-kill. Actually, for no-knock warrants, I'd like to get a couple of claymore mines for the front door . . .

I love you Captain! This is one of the funniest things ever. You are great!

Regarding the preparedness aspect: a serviceable 9mm, a good hunting rifle, and/or 12guage is all anyone needs to be prepared. I remember a report from Katrina that the people who did have food-storage and also had guns got to keep their food-storage.

For home-defense, I have a little-league baseball bat. I have used it once (the guy spent time in the hospital before going to jail). I still have a gun-nuts teen-ager at home, so no guns now (he goes shooting with his uncles and grandpa all the time). I have gotten mugged once (NYC), robbed twice (I wasn't home -- ROK and Provo), and home invaded once (Baseball bat -- Orem); if I had to rely on a gun, I would be dead. I do not automatically think a gun is important, but it is handy.

Regarding gun-rights, I like the idea of C&C, but I do not think the education requirements are sufficient. I think there should also be qualification standards proving the gun-owner knows how to determine who is dangerous and who is not (a class just does not cut it). I think the qualification should be required for each gun type owned; AKs are different than shot-guns, I think the owner should be-able to prove skillful knowledge of operation before being able to purchase the weapon. I like trigger locks, safes, prolonged waiting-periods, and difficult certification/re-certification classes. I also think the psychological profile for gun-purchases needs to be wider and quite exclusionary.

I do think it is a constitutional right to bear arms, but I also think it is the responsibility of gun-owners to prove they are capable of not harming others BEFORE they purchase or are allowed to possess a gun. The criminal, the insane, the mentally-ill, and the stupid should be barred from gun ownership.

Edited by the Ogre

What, are you truly suggesting that when we talk about rights, [gasp] responsibilities go along for the ride? :o Sorry, we don't allow that sort of mature wisdom here.

I'm about halfway in agreement with your post, TheOgre. A few items:

I also think it is the responsibility of gun-owners to prove they are capable of not harming others BEFORE they purchase or are allowed to possess a gun.

I can't really agree or disagree here, until we figure out WHO the owner needs to answer to, and HOW the owner can prove such a thing.

For my Utah permit class, the requirements to pass included loading a semi-auto pistol with a clip containing 5 rounds, firing 3, and safely unloading the other two. By passing that test, is that not proof positive that I'm capable of not harming others? Is that the level of proof you were looking for, or did you have something else in mind?

The criminal, the insane, the mentally-ill, and the stupid should be barred from gun ownership.

Again, the devil is in the details.

Criminal - are you talking about anyone who breaks any law, or just major crimes like felonies? (In other words - I got a speeding ticket once - do I really have to hand over my guns? 10 years ago, my generic relative Bob got arrested for being in a bar fight and did 2 days in jail and 30 days community service - no permit for him ever? He's kept his nose clean all this time, and he's got young teen daughters to protect too, ya know...)

insane/mentally-ill - There are levels and categories of mental illness. Are you sure you want them all lumped into one bucket, and deprive them all of the right to own guns? There are plenty of mental illnesses (depression, OCD, ADD, ADHD, anxiety, etc) that do not affect a person's understanding of right and wrong, or their ability to safely employ a firearm. Why would we want to disarm them? If you've got a list of paxil poppers who have shot up shools and malls, I'm listening - but I don't think that list exists.

stupid - Well, I can sympathize, but not really agree. Not only do we have too hard a time measuring stupid, but all the accidental and intentional shootings by otherwise smart people would seem to make this condition not very helpful. Now, if we had a crystal ball that would tell us the future - I'd gladly use that to deny permits to people who would abuse them...

LM

I can't really agree or disagree here, until we figure out WHO the owner needs to answer to [prove to], and HOW the owner can prove such a thing.

LM:

This is the core of the problem. No one is willing to come forward from the Gun-nut fringe and pony-up some accountability coin. They are affraid of the slippery-slope and other equally stupid arguments.

I would be branded a gun-nut by the left and gun-control freak by the right and in no way could I begin to draw people in.

I think gun-owners need to start this dialogue, most gun-advocates are only interested in street-cleaning the opposition instead of taking clear, precise, careful shots at intelligent debate.

Ogre

I never in the world ever considered owning a handgun. I've completely changed my mind. My brother has talked me into purchasing a 9mm. Just have to get the money for it now. Though he is having a horrible time finding places now that have the ammo in stock. He ordered from Cabelas with a 1 month backorder wait. Walmarts in the area have been out.

It seems futuristic but it is true. Most people have ONLY a 4-5 day supply of food at home. A big jolt of the earth's crust, the freeways collapse and the food supply is disrupted. You could see some very ugly things in the streets. And that is not a far fetch scenario. I have seen several refugee camps. They are not pleasant.

Yep, you ALL should overcome your aversion and apprehension about guns and purchase some, learn how to use them REALLY well, practice as a family how to use them appropriately in case of emergency and store them safely. And pray you'd never have to use them.

Edited by Islander

I think it is a personal decision. I've owned weapons in the past, and used them in the Air Force and in other jobs. But I currently do not feel the need to have one in my home. And it is something I've decided through much prayer.

So, while I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it. I'd suggest making it a personal prayer issue. Do not go into it because of fear, but do such things because of faith. I have food storage because God commanded it, and I believe in following Him in faith. If I own a weapon, it will be through faith, and not fear.

LM:

This is the core of the problem. No one is willing to come forward from the Gun-nut fringe and pony-up some accountability coin. They are affraid of the slippery-slope and other equally stupid arguments.

I would be branded a gun-nut by the left and gun-control freak by the right and in no way could I begin to draw people in.

I think gun-owners need to start this dialogue, most gun-advocates are only interested in street-cleaning the opposition instead of taking clear, precise, careful shots at intelligent debate.

Ogre

I can see where your argument comes from, but consider this. For the longest time, most gun owners have found that the common ground with the gun lobby (read manufacturing and distributors) is very small. But because of the aggressiveness of the gun control crowd they have become bed fellows of convenience. The constituencies are very diverse and the needs, culture and interest, say in Montana, are different than in Palm springs, CA. Because just about ALL the legislation about gun ownership comes from the gun control side it puts the rest of the people on the defensive. In the last 20 years or so just about all legislative attempts hinted, at least in the eyes of some, at slowly but surely eroding gun ownership rights. Case in point England and Australia where gun rights are gone.

Some suggest that law enhancements aimed at the criminal elements will bear better fruit than trying to restrict gun ownership. After all, most gun violence in this country is perpetrated by people that are not legal gun owners, anyhow.

The argument continues,, of course.

ZERO regulation None Nada (SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED).

And for those who are looking to by right now, good luck finding enough ammo to amount to anything. Maybe next year. Also for those who have one or thinking about it , take a real class from a GOOD instructor. CCW class is a joke. I once heard it said "if you can't do it under stress you can't do it". Fighting for your life or someone elses is a tiny bit stressful and there is no other reason to own a gun in the context of this discussion. You are buying it so you are capable of KILLING the bad guys. Please educate yourself on what that entails.

• 4 weeks later...

have you ever heard of the 21 foot rule?

google it

Yes, the 21-foot rule states that 21 feet is about the distance in which a determined person with a knife is able to reach you before you are able to pull a gun out of its holster and shoot him. At about 21 feet or less the knife-wielding man has the advantage. More than that distance, and the advantage generally goes to the gunman.

That being said, generally if you suspect there is an intruder in the house who means you harm, you have probably already drawn your gun and a round is in the chamber.

Yes, the 21-foot rule states that 21 feet is about the distance in which a determined person with a knife is able to reach you before you are able to pull a gun out of its holster and shoot him. At about 21 feet or less the knife-wielding man has the advantage. More than that distance, and the advantage generally goes to the gunman.

That being said, generally if you suspect there is an intruder in the house who means you harm, you have probably already drawn your gun and a round is in the chamber.

you have a very good point and going by your same logic, most home defence guns probably wouldnt even be in a holster.

my comment was meant in more of a general term in order to illustrate the fact that edged weapons should not be discounted. knives dont run out of ammo and they never jam. my 7" fixed blade marine fighting knife can cut to the bone with a solid hack and i can concealed carry it with a hoody.

also, im a deep sleeper, my house is only 33' from my bedroom door to its furthest point and guns are not allowed to be stored loaded where i am from. if i cant load a stripper clip fast enough or fumble and drop it, i always have the backup machete ready.

We own some firearms. Ed is retired US Special Agent and NRA Police and Fed. firearms Instructor. Our children and we know how to use and care for firearms.

If someone tries to attack us or take by force our property, we will use whatever force necessary to get them to stop and go away.

If our Bishop, or other PL, or a neighbor or someone else asks for help we will give it.

I (Ed) sometimes wonder about people who say they will not share their "years supply" with anyone. I think of Isaiah and the widow, and wonder what will happen when/if the Bishop asks people to bring their supplies to the meetinghouse to better provide for everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Grandmaty,

I agree totally. People think that it could never happen in America. That is what is going to make many people sitting ducks. People just choose to close their eyes and think that what is in front of them will just go away. There are many people pushing up daisies that thought that way.

Id rather be totally prepared and pray that I never need to use it than to think that it could never happen.

Even your own church recommends keeping a year of food and water. Its the same think.

Wake up people.