Irony vs Sarcasm

Connie

I found this on Wikipedia's definition of Irony.

A fair amount of confusion has surrounded the issue regarding the relationship between verbal irony and sarcasm, and psychology researchers have addressed the issue directly (e.g, Lee & Katz, 1998). For example, ridicule is an important aspect of sarcasm, but not verbal irony in general. By this account, sarcasm is a particular kind of personal criticism leveled against a person or group of persons that incorporates verbal irony. For example, a person reports to her friend that rather than going to a medical doctor to treat her ovarian cancer, she has decided to see a spiritual healer instead. In response her friend says sarcastically, "Great idea! I hear they do fine work!" The friend could have also replied with any number of ironic expressions that should not be labeled as sarcasm exactly, but still have many shared elements with sarcasm.

Research shows that most instances of verbal irony are considered to be sarcastic, suggesting that the term sarcasm is more widely used than its technical definition suggests it should be (Bryant & Fox Tree, 2002; Gibbs, 2000). Some psycholinguistic theorists suggest that sarcasm ("Great idea!", "I hear they do fine work."), hyperbole ("That's the best idea I have heard in years!"), understatement ("Sure, what the hell, it's only cancer..."), rhetorical questions ("What, does your spirit have cancer?"), double entendre ("I'll bet if you do that, you'll be communing with spirits in no time...") and jocularity ("Get them to fix your bad back while you're at it.") should all be considered forms of verbal irony (Gibbs, 2000). The differences between these tropes can be quite subtle, and relate to typical emotional reactions of listeners, and the rhetorical goals of the speakers. Regardless of the various ways theorists categorize figurative language types, people in conversation are attempting to decode speaker intentions and discourse goals, and are not generally identifying, by name, the kinds of tropes used.

I wonder if those who defend sarcasm so vehemently are really referring to irony? Christ used irony. He did not use sarcasm.

One example: I am a quiet person. I don't talk a lot. People will often say to me something to the effect of, "Gee, Connie, you really need to let everyone else get a word in edgewise." Most would probably consider this a sarcastic statement. And while it can be given a certain tone of voice and jeering snear, most often they simply mean it ironically.

Although I have not read every thread here lately I do believe this is your second thread of this nature. If someone says something that bothers you simply write them a pm and ask them what is meant by ----------- and see if they meant to offend or not. If they meant to offend then just "walk away". If they did not mean to offend then take what they say and lighten up. We all come here for different reasons. Some come to make friends, some come to learn, and some come to play. You can not expect people to totally change for you just as you do not want to change.

Although I have not read every thread here lately I do believe this is your second thread of this nature. If someone says something that bothers you simply write them a pm and ask them what is meant by ----------- and see if they meant to offend or not. If they meant to offend then just "walk away". If they did not mean to offend then take what they say and lighten up. We all come here for different reasons. Some come to make friends, some come to learn, and some come to play. You can not expect people to totally change for you just as you do not want to change.

Perhaps you should have PM'd this to me?

I have not been on the site for quite a while as i have been busy with other things and so have no offences to consider (i do "walk away" quite often for your information).

I have simply been studying irony lately as there was some confusion in my own mind about what it is and the difference between sarcasm. I thought perhaps there was some confusion with others as well and thought i would share what i have learned. If that offends you, you can simply "walk away." Or feel free to PM me if you so desire.

Perhaps you should have PM'd this to me?

I have not been on the site for quite a while as i have been busy with other things and so have no offences to consider (i do "walk away" quite often for your information).

I have simply been studying irony lately as there was some confusion in my own mind about what it is and the difference between sarcasm. I thought perhaps there was some confusion with others as well and thought i would share what i have learned. If that offends you, you can simply "walk away." Or feel free to PM me if you so desire.

You are offended by what I said?:o

Haha, I actually have no idea if it was a form of simile. I just wanted to be one of "those" people for a minute.

OHHHH ISN"T THIS JUST GREAT !!!!!!

Now you tell me you really don't know, after I have just spent the last hour going over old threads trying to find the " from of simile " one.

NOW I HAVE TO GO OVER THEM ALL AGAIN AND TRY AND FIND THE " METAPHORE " ONE.

Peace,

Ceeboo

Guest TheLutheran

. . . how creative Hemi is today?? I'm always prepared for a four-screen-scroll response when Hemi posts but today we get cute graphics. Have you been hitting the coffee?? [Just to be clear, Mr. Hemi, I'm just teasing you.] :sunny:

I honestly feel like everything said in this thread was in good fun.

I would agree except for the anti Catholic " simile " and Catholoc bashing " metaphore " comments :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ceeboo