Typos, misspellings, grammatical fumbles and such

prisonchaplain

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fancy myself a good writer, and generously excuse my occasional mis-keys as "poetic license." This, in spite of one of my professors who dryly declared, "Typos are a sin!" In one class this same beloved professor darkly proclaimed, "I can accept seeing a single error on a given page. A second fumble, I'll tolerate. However, I consider three or more errors to be a personal insult to me!"

That professor was my favorite. His humor was dry, his standards high. I learned much. . . . Or, did I? Of late, I've noticed my posts are pock-marked with mispellings, typos and grammatical gymnastics of Olympic proportions.

So...I extend my gratitude to all of you who have endured my clumsy ramblings without narry a word about my many "sins" and "insults." My God grant to you the same mercy you've extended to me, unworthy though I am.

what a very wonderful thread. i, myself, find grammatical errors a vexation. i realize that i am in a small minority, but there is no exuse for poor grammar. to say nothing of president-elect obama or my feelings toward him, i found it rather disturbing that many of his campaign signs said, "change we can believe in." it is difficult to type such a blatant disregard for english grammar! thank you, prisonchaplain, for bringing such a valuable topic into the light.

Muphry's Law, paraphrased,states that when offering a criticism of anyone's writings, the criticizer's statement will contain at least one grammatical, spelling, or typing error.

What's funny is that it's usually spelling grammar as grammer. I've seen that on the Net at least a hundred times.

What's not so funny is that it usually extends the thread, which probably should not have been started in the first place.

(And it's not Muphry's Law; it's Murphy's. And we see it in action, there, don't we?)

Edited by Captain_Curmudgeon

And so, I am planting the idea that the word alll is spelled correctly, and if we alll consistently spell it that way in the future, it will inevitably appear in the next revision of Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.

True enough, AA. When I was first in the reading and writing game, alright was nothing but an error. It's always all right. There was a little mnemonic: All right is the opposite of all wrong.

Now, my spellchecker allows alright and it's in the on-line dictionaries.

Shocking.

Like most sailors I know. But he was a great navigator and an even better supercargo.

One thing that always crosses my mind when Noah's ark is referred to as a boat is that it *might* just have been a huge box. That would have provided more room for animals and food.

I don't think Noah had anywhere to sail to ... he was just to supposed to keep the fauna alive. (Maybe this should be its own thread...)

There are people who need to have eye correction.

There are people who have bad teeth.

Some people lose their hair.

Some people don't know compassion.

I know people who judge others based on what they look like.

I know people who judge others by the way they write.

There are many ways to communicate and I have learned a lot of things from this thread.

Thanks.

Guest SisterofJared

LOL--- hey, Strawberry, there are actually people who think it's important to hang the toilet paper so it comes off the top of the roll instead of the bottom!

I have a relative who actually changes the toilet paper everywhere she goes, to make sure it's hanging correctly! There is a "right" way to hang the toilet paper. Oh my heck, do people really have no life at all???

I don't live around her anymore, and she now has 6 kids, so maybe she's lightened up.

SoJ

LOL--- hey, Strawberry, there are actually people who think it's important to hang the toilet paper so it comes off the top of the roll instead of the bottom!

I have a relative who actually changes the toilet paper everywhere she goes, to make sure it's hanging correctly! There is a "right" way to hang the toilet paper. Oh my heck, do people really have no life at all???

I don't live around her anymore, and she now has 6 kids, so maybe she's lightened up.

SoJ

I bet all 6 of those kids know how to hang the toilet paper roll JUST right.

I prefer that TP comes off the top of the roll, but I'm not obsessive about it. We had a part-time employee who changed it to come off the bottom EVERY time he used the restroom.

There *is* a valid reason to have it come off the bottom: That's if you own cats. They discover the fun of unrolling the entire roll if it's installed to come off the top. That won't happen if it comes off the bottom.

Oh, we don't have cats....