Home made Christmas decorations?

RachelleDrew

My husband and I began setting aside money for Christmas a couple of months ago, and realized that we spend WAY too much money on decorations that only get broken at the end of the season, and that's if we don't pitch them before New Years anyway.

So we decided that this year instead of spending tons of money on Christmas decorations this year, we would make home made decorations and use the money we would normally spend to buy various toys for the Toys for Tots program. We've got a friend in the military who helps run the local program and he's already shared the idea with a few people who have donated in the past and they are planning on doing the same thing. We even got the business I work at to double our savings to buy toys with!

We are super pumped about this, but are running out of ideas for decorations that we can make at home. So far we've made popcorn and kix strands for the tree with stale cereal and a box of popcorn that has sat in our pantry for ever, and used old construction paper to make paper links to string around the room. Does anybody have any suggestions for decorations using things that may already be around the house?

We are trying to do this with wrapping paper too, and I found a set of old encyclopedias in our closet that are mostly destroyed, but some of the pages are still intact and they are making for pretty cool wrapping paper. I'd like to vary it up a bit though, any other things I could use for present wrapping too?

The idea is to spend NO money on decorations, all stuff we can find at home. The less money we spend, the more the business will donate.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by RachelleDrew

We are super pumped about this, but are running out of ideas for decorations that we can make at home. So far we've made popcorn and kix strands for the tree with stale cereal and a box of popcorn that has sat in our pantry for ever, and used old construction paper to make paper links to string around the room. Does anybody have any suggestions for decorations using things that may already be around the house?

Depending on where you live, you might have pine cones in your yard. Collect a bunch of them, tie strings to the top of them, and you can dip them in melted crayons -- some white, some green, and some red -- then hang them around the house. If you have a place where you can hang them from the ceiling with thumbtacks, that looks cool.

We are trying to do this with wrapping paper too, and I found a set of old encyclopedias in our closet that are mostly destroyed, but some of the pages are still intact and they are making for pretty cool wrapping paper. I'd like to vary it up a bit though, any other things I could use for present wrapping too?

I wrapped a birthday gift for my husband earlier this year in about 9 sheets of coloring book pages. Do you have kids? Do a fingerpainting session one day, and save the masterpieces. Wrap their gifts in their own paper.

Depending on where you live, you might have pine cones in your yard. Collect a bunch of them, tie strings to the top of them, and you can dip them in melted crayons -- some white, some green, and some red -- then hang them around the house. If you have a place where you can hang them from the ceiling with thumbtacks, that looks cool.

I wrapped a birthday gift for my husband earlier this year in about 9 sheets of coloring book pages. Do you have kids? Do a fingerpainting session one day, and save the masterpieces. Wrap their gifts in their own paper.

These are such good ideas. We've got pine cones out the wazoo. We also have a son who is not quite a year, and he's discovering crayons. His grandparents would love presents wrapped in drawings.

On another note, I think a really big pine cone would look good as a tree topper. Any thoughts on how to get it to stay up there? Could I just like tie it or something? Also, is there anything we can spray on the popcorn and kix to keep the cat from eating it?

Edited by RachelleDrew

These are such good ideas. We've got pine cones out the wazoo. We also have a son who is not quite a year, and he's discovering crayons. His grandparents would love presents wrapped in drawings.

It's been so many years since I've done the pine cone thing, that I don't quite remember how to do it. Make sure though, that you use non-toxic crayons. Also, you might want to melt some paraffin wax, and just throw in a couple of crayons for color, rather than try to find a ton of green crayons and a ton of red crayons. For white, you don't need to add any, because the wax will be fairly opaque once it hardens. You can also probably roll them in silver glitter if you want while still hot.

On another note, I think a really big pine cone would look good as a tree topper. Any thoughts on how to get it to stay up there? Could I just like tie it or something?

No idea, sorry.

Also, is there anything we can spray on the popcorn and kix to keep the cat from eating it?

Water? :P Are there any scents around the house that the cat is already averse to? Hair spray? Water with a little bleach mixed in? Just be sure that your one-year old isn't going to try to eat them, too.

Well, you'd probably have to spend some money on these, but not a lot. All you do is mix applesause and cinnamon together until it's thick enough to roll out and cut with a cookie cutter. Cut it out in some fun Christmas shapes, use a straw to poke a hole in the top and let them dry for 24 hours. When they're dry, string some ribbon through the hole to hang them with. They're cheap, really cute and they smell amazing! My mom has made these every few years since I was a little girl, we love them.

Well, you'd probably have to spend some money on these, but not a lot. All you do is mix applesause and cinnamon together until it's thick enough to roll out and cut with a cookie cutter. Cut it out in some fun Christmas shapes, use a straw to poke a hole in the top and let them dry for 24 hours. When they're dry, string some ribbon through the hole to hang them with. They're cheap, really cute and they smell amazing! My mom has made these every few years since I was a little girl, we love them.

I was a Primary teacher a few years ago, and the presidency made ornaments this way for all the Primary workers. It's been four years this Christmas, and it still smells like cinnamon!

I was a Primary teacher a few years ago, and the presidency made ornaments this way for all the Primary workers. It's been four years this Christmas, and it still smells like cinnamon!

Yep, they last forever! I absolutely love them! Get a few of those hanging on your tree and your whole house will smell great for the entire month! :)

I just remembered some things I did with my daughter last year. We sprayed styrofoam balls with glue and rolled them in glitter. Then I glued little gems on them to make them look like snowmen with a ribbon on the top. I also spray painted pinecones green and glued sequins or gems on them to look like ornaments. We used to snowmen on one of our trees for charity and everyone loved them. The pinecones would probably be easier for you though since you have so many around. A can of spray paint and a bag of colored sequins are less than $5 at walmart.

You can cover an orange with whole cloves and let it dry for a few days, they also smell really good. Paint styrofoam balls, cover them with glitter, decorate them with ribbon. I know there are other fun ideas, but I can't think of them right now. My grandma makes a bunch of homemade ornaments for all of the seven trees in her house, so I'm sure I can think of more!

I have laminated a lot of my kids christmas artwork that is cute (to me) and use it every year in my windows. It is really fun now that my oldest is 18. Also I have let my kids (when they were really little) make a manger scene in the front room out of what they have. (stuffed animals, cradle, babies) The fun thing about that was that they played with the manger scene all december and I wasn't worried about it getting ruined. I don't know if you have this on hand, but we use leftover xmas or other material and make little balls with a cinnamon stick, whole cloves, and nutmeg (if you can find it). We have tied these with yarn and they make the tree smell good. You can also boil them and throw them away to make your house smell good or we have even put them in the fire. (you know waste not want not) One year we cut a wreath out of card board and glued pinecones (standing up) really close together with a glue gun. It turned out really cute and then we put a ribbon on it. My mom and now me always decorated with a few fresh pine bows from the yard. They smell great. Also I have a friend that makes ornaments out of dough and bakes them and paints them. If I talk to her I will find out how she does it.

Hey I am not an A student. Will you leave exact directions for me. I would like to try this. The dollar store by my house has big bottles of cinnamon right now. Thanks.:P

I'm not that creative! I went to the dollar store and bought decorations. $6 and my house doesn't look too bad actually. $2 on large snow flakes that I have hanging from the ceiling (there are 12 of them) and then some long sparkly things I have hanging around the room and an other $2 on window decals.

The one thing I can think of that didn't cost money is making a wreath. Go on a walk or to a woodsy park and collect things. Twigs and pine cones and leaves and make them into a wreath. Oh and I just thought of an other thing. You need string, glue and a balloon. Put the string in the glue so it's all wet with it, then wrap it around the balloon (when it's blown up) and let it dry. WHen it's dry, pop the balloon and you have a "snow flake." I made them when I was little and although they don't look that much like snow flakes, more like snow balls, they do look neat and would look good hanging, or small ones as ornaments. Glitter on them would look good, also.

I know some of these require a few things from the craft store, but they're much cheaper than buying pre-made decorations.

These were from a primary activity we did and the kids used silver pipe cleaners to make halos or wings. Or you can tie a bow and glue it to the back for wings.

Posted Image

A gum drop or lifesaver christmas tree

Posted ImagePosted Image

You can do this one easily with paper instead of fabric.

Posted Image

Spray paitned walnuts

Posted Image

I love these and if you attach a bigger one to the bottom they kinda look like artsy snowmen.

Posted Image

Another one from our primary activity - yarn shepherds? Or just yarn little guys lol.

Posted Image

And of course - the candy cane reindeer

Posted Image

Guest DeborahC

Also, one year I didn't have money to buy Christmas cards.

Using construction paper, I did a thumbprint of each child's thumb, and our own.

I then put ears, face, and tail on each to make "Mice" and made our cards from this.

People loved them!

Here are some examples I found online.

You can do an image search on thumbprint mice to see more.

Google Image Result for http://home.comcast.net/~Shoreway77/ThumbXmas2.jpg

I don't have a "theme" when I decorate as when I was growing up, my grandma gave me an ornament for my birthday since it's close to Christmas. My tree might look chaotic, but most of those ornaments have sentimental value. The only thing I do with paper is origami, and I would rather have a root canal without anesthesia than do things like make a popcorn garland or even do scrapbooking.

One year we made snowmen out of tube socks (has to have those colored rings at the top) and sand. You start filling the sand into the bottom of the sock..about a third of the way up..tie a ribbon...then you fill again to about 2/3..tie again..you are making the layers of the snowman..then once you tie off the top below the cuff..you turn the cuff down to make it appear as the snowman is wearing a ski cap.

Then you can decorate your snowman anyway you want.

I just wanted to let everyone know, that we used a LOT of the ideas in this thread yesterday after dinner. I may post pictures showing the masterpieces later.

Thank you all so much for the ideas. We managed to not spend a dime decorating the tree and the house. Which means we've got $200 to spend on toys for tots. Since my workplace offered to double it after seeing picture proof that we used all home-made decorations, they are now spending $400 on toys for tots. $600.00 can buy a lot of toys for kids who don't always get such a merry christmas.

I know money is tight for everyone this year, but I would highly suggest making a donation. Even a toy from your local Dollar Tree can make a kid super happy.

Marine Toys for Tots Foundation

Here you can find drop-off points near you, or make donations online. If you know a Marine then they may be able to give you information on the program too since it is supported by the United States Marines.

My husband and I began setting aside money for Christmas a couple of months ago, and realized that we spend WAY too much money on decorations that only get broken at the end of the season, and that's if we don't pitch them before New Years anyway.

Two suggestions:

1. Don't buy crap that breaks, buy crap that lasts. We top the tree with the same plastic angel from my childhood. Still in it's original box, complete with Grand Central price tag of 25 cents. It's 35 years old, so are the old glass ornaments. They've all survived me, countless kittens, and my kids (so far). Our lights are over a decade old, the tree is 9 yrs old. Just 30 minutes ago, my wife finished splicing a broken wire on one strand of lights.

2. We usually spend $10 or $20/yr on Christmas decorations, but we spend the money the last week of December, after Christmas. So we end up with $50-75 worth of stuff to discover come next year.

LM