Languages

bodhigirlsmiles

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone in the world knows or has learned English. So that makes their language not so good? Please...rather a ridiculous comment there. There are thousands of languages spoken all over the world. Unfair to say that English is the BEST language. Perhaps to you since that is the ONLY language you speak. I have heard some beautiful languages spoken in my lifetime.

pam

Edited by pam

English. The best language there is.

English is the worst language on the face of the planet!! Or one of them, at least.

THE single most basic verb, be, conjugates very irregularly! Be: am, is, are

Irregular adjectives: Good, better, best. Bad, worse, worst.

It absorbs and takes in words from every and any language.

English is a horrible language for non-native speakers to learn.

Although you can sound out most words, there are still things that are strange and irregular, such as silent letters: Pneumonia, doubt. And homonyms like might, mite (also sight and site?); two, too, to. Why does "ight" and "ite" even sound the same? I before E, except after C, and when it says A as in Neighbour and Weigh.

It's my native tongue, it's what I think in, and it's the only language that I can competently communicate with, but I'm so painfully aware of it's shortcomings.

I speak (conversational) Cantonese, and have a very limited literate vocabulary.

(While English is a nightmare to learn to speak properly, Chinese is a nightmare to learn to write!)

Not everyone in the world knows or has learned English. So that makes their language not so good? Please...rather a ridiculous comment there. There are thousands of languages spoken all over the world. Unfair to say that English is the BEST language. Perhaps to you since that is the ONLY language you speak. I have heard some beautiful languages spoken in my lifetime.

Let me rephrase since you love to argue. It is becoming the world's language and rightly so.

So why English? Why not French or Spanish? French is also spoken all over the world as well. That's why they do the interpretation during the Olympics in French as well. I don't think English was the worldwide language before the Tower of Babel.

pam

Edited by pam

No need to force it. It's already happening. And no that's not called bigotry. Try again.

I even looked it up...

bigâ‹…otâ‹…ry

/ˈbɪgPosted ImageəPosted Imagetri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation Posted Image [big-uh-tree] Show IPA Pronunciation Posted Image

–noun, plural -ries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. 2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

Just because I wish more people spoke English does not make me intolerant of other languages.

Do you see the word etc? Trying to force someone into your way of thinking in this instance language is bigotry.

You left out one definition:

"the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot". In this case prejudices. You think English is the best language over all the others. You state because that is YOUR language. That's pretty prejudiced against other languages.