"Second Chances"

Wingnut

A police force in a town near where I live is starting a new program. They're calling it "Second Chances." The idea is that there are too many good, well-trained police officers tied up with minutia, such as giving parking tickets. So they've decided to hire ex-cons to handle the minutia while the real police officers handle real police issues. The ex-cons are getting a "second chance."

I like the idea, and I know that people can change. I don't know a ton about this program, but I know that I would be much more comfortable with it if the type of ex-con was limited to first-time offenders, or to drug traffickers, or to thieves (without a history of weapon use).

However, the poster boy for this program is an ex-con who did time for rape. I am fortunate enough to never have been a victim of rape or molestation, however, I know people who have been. Rape is not a sex act. It is an act of control. Who thought it would be a good idea to put a rapist in a position of control and authority over other people, including women?

What do you all think of a program like this (in general)?

Rape is not a sex act. It is an act of control. Who thought it would be a good idea to put a rapist in a position of control and authority over other people, including women?

I could see this working for "petty"/"white-collar" crimes...but to put "violent" offenders in a position of control/power...I would be hesitant to support it.

I have to wonder...................is this truly a position of power? ??? I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Several agencies that I am aware of hire "community service officers" to handle parking and animal issues. They write a lot of parking citations and pick up stray animals. There uniforms are very different then actual police as they are not "certified" police officers.

I, myself do not have issues w/ using ex-cons, but like every one else I have issues w/ violent offenders being allowed into such programs.

I could see this working for "petty"/"white-collar" crimes...but to put "violent" offenders in a position of control/power...I would be hesitant to support it.

Agreed. And why am I reminded of the scene in A Clockwork Orange where Alex's old gang buddies have become cops but still have the ame attitudes as before?

I like the option given to many criminals in WW2 -- enlist or go to jail. Why not allow violent offenders to join the military and get that violence channeled towards the enemy? Maybe they can do some good and it allows a kid who hasn't perpetrated against others to not have to be on the front lines?

"Servie means citizenship" to quote from a fun movie from the 1990s.

Interesting... I'm personally against the idea, but I hope it works out. My intuitions have been proven wrong before.

I am hesitant about the 'poster-boy' they're grooming for the position though... from the article:

"This isn't a 39-year-old guy who stole a car 20 years ago," [head of the patrolmen's union Steve] Loomis said. "This is a 15-time felon. It's a mistake."

It'll be interesting... I wish the city and the felon all the best.

I would be livid if I saw a rapist in a uniform. I think I can speak on behalf of most other victims of sexual abuse or assault and say that this is beyond stupid.

I have no problem with this program under certain pretenses, but a multiple rapist doesn't deserve this chance. Sorry. Who is to say they couldn't pose as a "real" police officer and gain the trust of an adult or especially a child? They may not have any actual athourity, but if you give someone a uniform with even a slight resemblance to an officer's, a LOT of guillible people could be harmed.

Bad idea, bad idea, bad idea.