What Is The Church Doing To Help?

Amillia

Just to be the odd duck out, I am going back to topic. The LDS church announced that they are having the members in HongKong send much of the aid through them from the church because it is easier than sending everything from SLC.

It was also stated that they want money from the saints in the states and around the world, rather than things because of the cost and problems with shipping them from long distances.

They are keeping a close eye on everything going into the needed areas so that all the funds and things go to those in need and aren't taken by greedy uneedy people.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that they are doing that. I personally hope to be able to contribute some from my husband's paycheque tomorrow towards relief . . . It's so sad to me when so many of our brothers and sisters are suffering. Now that my husband's pay will be more than we need for the bare necessities, I want to contribute more to fast offerings, etc. Everyone doing their part helps.

Guest curvette

This is an obnoxious thread. Over 100 thousand people are dead, and thousands more will most likely die in the aftermath. We all should donate to the organizations we trust the most. I think the Red Cross is the most likely to get the supplies there. I think the church will do a good job too. The most sickening thing is the scammers who are preying on people's good will by soliciting donations to themselves at a time like this.

To the original question about the church. I think the local church is helping with the immediate needs, and the guy they are sending out will assess more long term needs. I don't think they are wrong in this--it was just poorly worded.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced church leaders in Asia are already providing immediate assistance to disaster victims.

What does already providing immediate assistance to disaster victims mean?

How can you say that they are waiting?

I'm wondering how much the naysayers contributed in Fast Offerings today.

Meanwhile this is wha the Church is doing:

Indonesia

Purchased medical supplies are being distributed by government relief agencies.

Food and volunteers are being provided for community kitchens in Medan.

Body bags have been provided at government request.

Members are assembling hygiene kits, in partnership with Muslim organizations. A kit consists of two soaps, two hand towels, toothpaste, four toothbrushes and two combs.

Church Welfare Services representatives are scheduled to meet with the first lady and cabinet ministers to assess additional needs.

Church representatives are working closely with the Ministry of People’s Welfare.

Thailand

Missionaries are volunteering at the tourist information center in Bangkok, providing translation services to assist in locating missing persons.

Body bags have been provided at government request.

Food and water are being provided for distribution by local relief agencies.

Church members and missionaries are assembling and distributing hygiene kits and family kitchen sets (cookware for a small family).

A cash contribution has been made to a national relief fundraising campaign.

India

Church members have assembled hygiene kits and family kitchen sets which are being distributed by the India Red Cross Society in the affected area.

The Church has purchased basic food items which are being distributed by the India Red Cross Society in the affected area.

Sri Lanka

Grain has been provided for government distribution.

Church Welfare Services representatives are scheduled to meet with the prime minister and other key government officials to assess additional needs.

Hong Kong

Church members will assemble 30,000 hygiene kits for Sri Lanka.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Dec 30 2004, 01:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Dec 30 2004, 01:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@Dec 29 2004, 07:59 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Dec 29 2004, 10:14 AM

At church there are people who come up to me and say things which are meant to be hurtful, but they say them in such a way as to appear innocent of any evil intention.

Some just give me the cold shoulder by walking by me with their nose in the air. My younger son was told at the beginning of summer that he could no longer go to the local store because a women in our ward told the manager my sons were theives and liers.

We just found that out last week before Christmas by talking with this manager. What kind of people go out of their way to destroy people's lives?

Maybe helping your son to stop his thieving would be more effective than complaining about others who don't like it --- or is your son not a thief and them evil Mormon womenes is just out to git ya fer no good reason?

Snow,

What makes you think that Amillia is Peace/Starsky? I think I remember that you didn't care for her much and I think that I remember what much of the riff was about.

I like Peace/ Starsky and I think that Amillia is nice as well. Your comment about the boys is a bit harsh don't you think? I know Mormon women who can be as Amillia described and they are not that way just because they are Mormon either. The reason why some women act that way is because they are in misery themselves and "Misery loves company"

If this is indeed a battle you are having with Amillia then it is not my place to get involved. If you believe the Amillia is Peace/Starsky then you must have proof of some kind. I can't see you calling someone by another name without researching it first. I was never made aware of the reason why Peace/Starsky is no longer posting here is this for public knowledge?

Amillia sounds like she has been through some hard times and as a mother, nothing hurts like when your child hurts.

She (Peace/Starsky) asked to be deleted from the boards. And how snow knows is because the IP's match.

Spencer

Also I want to appologize if my comments were found harsh or insensitive or if I hurt anyones feelings. Was not my intention. I get a little deffensive when people come here and try to point out something negative about the church, espicailly so soon after this particular event.

Spencer

Originally posted by Spencer+Jan 3 2005, 06:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spencer @ Jan 3 2005, 06:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Strawberry Fields@Dec 30 2004, 01:57 AM

At church there are people who come up to me and say things which are meant to be hurtful, but they say them in such a way as to appear innocent of any evil intention.

Some just give me the cold shoulder by walking by me with their nose in the air. My younger son was told at the beginning of summer that he could no longer go to the local store because a women in our ward told the manager my sons were theives and liers.

We just found that out last week before Christmas by talking with this manager. What kind of people go out of their way to destroy people's lives?

Maybe helping your son to stop his thieving would be more effective than complaining about others who don't like it --- or is your son not a thief and them evil Mormon womenes is just out to git ya fer no good reason?

Snow,

What makes you think that Amillia is Peace/Starsky? I think I remember that you didn't care for her much and I think that I remember what much of the riff was about.

I like Peace/ Starsky and I think that Amillia is nice as well. Your comment about the boys is a bit harsh don't you think? I know Mormon women who can be as Amillia described and they are not that way just because they are Mormon either. The reason why some women act that way is because they are in misery themselves and "Misery loves company"

If this is indeed a battle you are having with Amillia then it is not my place to get involved. If you believe the Amillia is Peace/Starsky then you must have proof of some kind. I can't see you calling someone by another name without researching it first. I was never made aware of the reason why Peace/Starsky is no longer posting here is this for public knowledge?

Amillia sounds like she has been through some hard times and as a mother, nothing hurts like when your child hurts.

She (Peace/Starsky) asked to be deleted from the boards. And how snow knows is because the IP's match.

Spencer

REALLY? :unsure:

Originally posted by Spencer+Jan 3 2005, 05:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spencer @ Jan 3 2005, 05:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Strawberry Fields@Dec 30 2004, 01:57 AM

Snow,

Spencer

I ran an IP tool on her when she (Amillia) first showed up, and it didn't match anything. hmmmmm...........

Originally posted by Amillia+Dec 30 2004, 10:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amillia @ Dec 30 2004, 10:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

My son isn't a theif, never was! :o

Amillia,

Please don't take this wrong...and regardless the ladies in you ward should not be spreading gossip. But I've been involved in education for around 2 decades. Parents often are the last to know and have a hard time facing reality.

Originally posted by srm+Jan 3 2005, 11:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (srm @ Jan 3 2005, 11:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Amillia@Dec 30 2004, 10:12 AM

My son isn't a theif, never was! :o

Amillia,

Please don't take this wrong...and regardless the ladies in you ward should be spreading gossip. But I've been involved in education for around 2 decades. Parents often are the last to know and have a hard time facing reality.

My son was told by the store manager that it was wrong of him to believe this woman because he had never had any employees report him as being a thief, nor had he ever had cause to think he was a thief. He admitted it was just the word of this woman that caused the boys to be banded from the store. My boys went to that store almost daily until this woman told her lie.

She is the lier and my boys have been vindicated and are now best of friends with all the manager and clerks in this store.

Originally posted by Amillia@Jan 4 2005, 12:37 PM

My son was told by the store manager that it was wrong of him to believe this woman because he had never had any employees report him as being a thief, nor had he ever had cause to think he was a thief. He admitted it was just the word of this woman that caused the boys to be banded from the store. My boys went to that store almost daily until this woman told her lie.

She is the lier and my boys have been vindicated and are now best of friends with all the manager and clerks in this store.

So what's your theory?

You think your boy is completely innocent and this big ole lying Mormon woman is just sick and evil like you think the Prophet and I are sick and evil?

Note: It's a fine distinction but you don't think that the Prophet is truly evil, just that his policies are evil.

This may be old news to some but I did not first understand why getting the people clean drinking water was so important. When the tsunami hit it destroyed the sewer systems and their water all became polluted. The water inland is still okay I think.

Another think that is so sad is that in addition to those who have already died, even more will die from disease. :(

my boys have been vindicated and are now best of friends with all the manager and clerks in this store.

Seems that some justice has been served. I'm glad that things worked out the way they did.... when your boys are old enough to apply for a job...well....there you have it.

I dont' know what to say about the disaster issue....I know that there are people who are in the position to help and there are people who aren't. Those who can only offer prayers shouldn't feel bad about the small token they have to offer.

Originally posted by lindy9556@Jan 5 2005, 02:17 AM

I dont' know what to say about the disaster issue....I know that there are people who are in the position to help and there are people who aren't. Those who can only offer prayers shouldn't feel bad about the small token they have to offer.

I agree. Never discount the power of a heartfelt prayer. :)

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Jan 5 2005, 12:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Jan 5 2005, 12:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Bunker@Jan 5 2005, 12:00 AM

:rolleyes:

And?

I was going to quote and respond to snow, but changed my mind. B)

An investigative reporter for a local SLC radio station (KNRS – Bob Launsburry) reported that the voluntary LDS contributions gathered during a fast effort (Sunday) by the LDS is the largest single private contributor and exceeds even that of all other countries except for the USA. He also announced that some of the money coming from the USA will be distributed by the LDS to avoid being lost in government agencies.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 04:08 PM

An investigative reporter for a local SLC radio station (KNRS – Bob Launsburry) reported that the voluntary LDS contributions gathered during a fast effort (Sunday) by the LDS is the largest single private contributor and exceeds even that of all other countries except for the USA. He also announced that some of the money coming from the USA will be distributed by the LDS to avoid being lost in government agencies.

The Traveler

What more can you tell us about that?

I heard from the EQ Pres that the Church's contribution was, well - an extremely large number, a number that seemed to big to be believed. However if what you say is so then it may have been accurate. Do you have a link or source or know something else?

Originally posted by Snow+Jan 5 2005, 05:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jan 5 2005, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 04:08 PM

An investigative reporter for a local SLC radio station (KNRS – Bob Launsburry) reported that the voluntary LDS contributions gathered during a fast effort (Sunday) by the LDS is the largest single private contributor and exceeds even that of all other countries except for the USA.  He also announced that some of the money coming from the USA will be distributed by the LDS to avoid being lost in government agencies. 

The Traveler

What more can you tell us about that?

I heard from the EQ Pres that the Church's contribution was, well - an extremely large number, a number that seemed to big to be believed. However if what you say is so then it may have been accurate. Do you have a link or source or know something else?

There might be a link on the KNRS site. I heard Bob on his morning show. Sorry I could not be better help but the church does not seem anxious to publish numbers. I have talked to Aribric people that know the LDS church just from help donated to Aribic countries. I was told that because of LDS help that the LDS church is the only non Islamic religion legal in Sauda Arabia.

Also do not give all the credit to church leadership. The amount was donated by the members as part of a special fast. The amount comes from the heart of the people.

The Traveler

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 10:44 PM

I was told that because of LDS help that the LDS church is the only non Islamic religion legal in Sauda Arabia.

Do you believe that? This must be within the last week. Islam is the official religion of Saudi Arabia. All citizen must be Muslims. Conversion to another religion is punishable by death.

Guest GOD'S ARMY

My Bishopric told us that during this time the specially set aside funds by the members marked under humanitarian aid via tithes and offerings are currently going to that effort. Be assured that 100% of the money dedicated to humanitarian aid goes to that purpose.

By the way, the Red Cross did a good job during the 9/11 donation collections and took the opportunity(and money) to update their phone infrastructure.....probably not exactly what the charitable people giving the money had intended.