Any women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)?

yenni

It's a chemical imbalance the affects 10% of women and is the top cause of infertility. It's something I have to deal and am always seeking support for it. I was wondering if anyone here has it maybe we can have a little group here. It really does help talking about it.

For more information go here: SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources

Symptom include (and may very)

Infrequent menstrual period and/or irregular bleeding

Infertility because of not ovulating

Increased growth of hair on face/body

Acne, oily skin, or dandruff

Pelvic pain

Depression

Weight gain or obesity

Type 2 diabetes

High cholesterol

High blood pressure

Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair

Darkened skin on neck, arms, breasts, or thighs

Skin tags

Sleep apnea

And more.

It's true there are certainly worse things out there. The right combination of symptoms however can make things nightmarish for someone though, at times. It is often misdiagnosed because the symptoms vary so much a woman may never know she has which can be tough if she wonders why she cant' get pregnant. Not being able to have children is something I've already coped with personally and have opted for adoption when the time comes. The thing that's hardest for me to deal with is the unruly hirsutism ALL over my face and body. :P

Can't offer much to this conversation, except that my wife was diagnosed with it for a time and a friend's daughter also had it. Both described the associated pain as "worse than childbirth".

While I'll most likely never experience pain from childbirth, the sort of pain I have is mostly mental/emotional due to a combination of the chemical imbalance and various other side effects.

I have it. Took me 15 years to find a doctor who believed me when I said something was really wrong. I gained 70 pounds over the course of 2 years without changing my diet or exercise plan yet all I heard was eat less exercise more..

This disorder is linked closely with diabetes and I am now battling the diabetes that came with it. People have no idea just how life altering PCOS can be and what shocks me is that so many medical people have no clue of a disorder that affects as many as

1 woman in 10:eek:

Edited by breezygirl
spelling

Hidden

I have read recently about something that helps this. I will see if I can find it and let you know. I found this while searching that should be good, but isn't quite what I remember reading.

Whey Protein Helps PCOS | Studies

Chromium is Lacking in Type II Diabetic Patients | Studies

On that one, I will say I am a huge fan of Chromemate brand Chromium polynicotinate, not feeling any results until about 600 mcg/day. It is safe far above this.

https://www.wellnessresources.com/protocols/leptinquiz.htm

I guess you can see what site I check first for this kind of thing. I know he understands complex metabolic issues like this.

There really is something else I saw recently. I will keep my eyes open for it.

I read down the list, and just for kicks, I would look into Candida, try a bottle or two of New Chapter Candida Take Care, that is the only thing I have found that works in a couple of days for that issue. You might be surprised how much nerve toxins from parasites can affect hormones. Then again, you may not. Google candida symptoms, candida toxins, sometimes things are always what they seem. On the hair side, my wife's hair came in enough for her hair dresser to comment that it was thicker, and in fact it was. She has not had to pull more hair into her bangs because it kept disappearing. It's cranberry extract. It's safe, if a little expensive. In our neck of the woods, my wife views it like air, and she was only supporting me to start, couples get rid of candida together so they don't pass it back and forth.

Just another point of view. I would roll it around the back of my head. I did one in the morning and 2 at night to start, but backed off now.

We all sleep better at night, my anxiety/depression is down quite a notch, 14 month old sleeps through the night way more often now, half a capsule in her yogurt morning and night, 11 year old not stuck in the bathroom for 40 minutes at a time, can sit and study better now. Really I don't talk about this kind of stuff, but if somehow it lets you consider this more seriously, and if it only helps with half, hey, it's something. For my part, I have to stay gluten free and pretty low sugar as well. I think it would help my oldest to follow suit, but she doesn't. Her craving for sweets is way down though, and that speaks to numerous imbalances you reference above.

I have read recently about something that helps this. I will see if I can find it and let you know. I found this while searching that should be good, but isn't quite what I remember reading.

Whey Protein Helps PCOS | Studies

Chromium is Lacking in Type II Diabetic Patients | Studies

On that one, I will say I am a huge fan of Chromemate brand Chromium polynicotinate, not feeling any results until about 600 mcg/day. It is safe far above this.

https://www.wellnessresources.com/protocols/leptinquiz.htm

I guess you can see what site I check first for this kind of thing. I know he understands complex metabolic issues like this.

There really is something else I saw recently. I will keep my eyes open for it.

I read down the list, and just for kicks, I would look into Candida, try a bottle or two of New Chapter Candida Take Care, that is the only thing I have found that works in a couple of days for that issue. You might be surprised how much nerve toxins from parasites can affect hormones. Then again, you may not. Google candida symptoms, candida toxins, sometimes things are not always what they seem. On the hair side, my wife's hair came in enough for her hair dresser to comment that it was thicker, and in fact it was. She has not had to pull more hair into her bangs because it kept disappearing. It's cranberry extract. It's safe, if a little expensive. In our neck of the woods, my wife views it like air, and she was only supporting me to start, couples get rid of candida together so they don't pass it back and forth.

Just another point of view. I would roll it around the back of my head. I did one in the morning and 2 at night to start, but backed off now.

We all sleep better at night, my anxiety/depression is down quite a notch, 14 month old sleeps through the night way more often now, half a capsule in her yogurt morning and night, 11 year old not stuck in the bathroom for 40 minutes at a time, can sit and study better now. Really I don't talk about this kind of stuff, but if somehow it lets you consider this more seriously, and if it only helps with half, hey, it's something. For my part, I have to stay gluten free and pretty low sugar as well. I think it would help my oldest to follow suit, but she doesn't. Her craving for sweets is way down though, and that speaks to numerous imbalances you reference above.

I know I'm a guy on a PCOS thread. I can relate to how nebulous it is. I had thought I had gotten to the root of this and many other things with the candida, but another look shows the candida to be a symptom. Low starch appears to be good for PCOS because it doesn't feed the candida, but also because it doesn't aggravate the insulin resistance, and it appears the starch can turn to or elevate testosterone levels and cause acne. At least that's what I have been seeing. So 3 ways low starch can help. For someone like me, that's yet another two edged sword. Low starch helps my mind while I watch my body disappear. Some might like that idea though. I get to the point that I feel my metabolism shut down almost and I just have to eat. All the women I read about like the raw diets and low starch diets. They help, but they cut another way even still for me. Pecanbread has good info on different types of carbohydrates.

Not to overwhelm with info. It's something I work on myself. I've had the metabolic syndrome, symptom wise at least, never showed up on paper. Take what grabs you, your instinct should be good. Part of this I recognize clearly and have fought for a bit though, if that can make sense.

I googled PCOS candida and got some good links and success stories, women who have had children that are diagnosed with PCOS.

Stories of How Women Overcame PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) & Ovarian Cysts

PCOS & Candida Overgrowth | My diet & detox journal

Faith state=ON

Keep believing. Like a transistor in the on state, faith needs to be on to let the blessings flow.

Men are definitely most welcome in here to share their knowledge and experience with us! I never knew about Candida before. I just got done reading up on Candida friendly diets. I knew that's how I should be eating anyways, it's hard to do when you still live with your mom and she buys what's cheapest at the grocery store; potatoes and pasta, both pretty carbilicious and starchy. But I can start small like it suggests. Yogurt, berries and nuts would be a very doable (and yummy) breakfast meal. I'd have to figure out when I can do for the rest of the day.

The information that you have shared Robert has been extremely interesting! I am going to a larger city (i live in a very rural community) and plan on purchasing the "New Chapter Candida Take Care" that you mentioned in your previous post.

As a side not I have been a huge fan of probiotics for the last few years! They have helped ease some of my other complaints/symptoms.

Again, thanks for your input!!

Les

The information that you have shared Robert has been extremely interesting! I am going to a larger city (i live in a very rural community) and plan on purchasing the "New Chapter Candida Take Care" that you mentioned in your previous post.

As a side not I have been a huge fan of probiotics for the last few years! They have helped ease some of my other complaints/symptoms.

Again, thanks for your input!!

Les

Probiotics? I never heard of these. What are they?

I have found great benefit from homemade yogurt. I put the instructions in the preparedness section a while ago. Here's the link:

http://www.lds.net/forums/preparedness/15761-probiotics-anyone-home-made-yogurt.html

At this point, I make it strong, mostly liquid on top, and mix a tablespoon of the liquid with a glass of milk to give the good guys first dibs on what I ate. The liquid mixes easier than the solid and it takes less attention to let it ferment to oblivion. Others may do differently, and that would make sense to me. I have a lazy streak. This seems to help

Best price on Candida Take Care is on the net, I found it for 18 a few places, free shipping at beyondprobiotics.com with a large enough order, not trying to be a commercial. The Best Discount Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements at the Lowest Price - Swanson Health Products carries it too. When I succeed, I will let you know, but this took the edge off quickly with no die off.

Been reading more, on the adrenal front, there is a product from Standard Process called Drenamin that looks to be the best support for adrenal glands. I hope to report on this shortly. Caffeine works, guarana, but have an effect that isn't comfortable and doesn't last, but still teach me I shouldn't lose sight of the adrenal glands. Everything speaks to adrenals, magnesium, calcium, C, sodium, but I've taken those with not much result. This looks like another avenue to check, seems safe and their thytrophin has been very instrumental in stabilizing my wife's thyroid levels for a few years now.

Biotin helps clear Candida toxins, and before knowing this I found adding biotin to my B complex (in a shake for me) helped, this could explain more directly why.

For insulin resistance, number one is exercise, or physical activity. Results seem to show up after the first thousand calories in a week, but anything is helpful. The muscles need to be in a mode where they realize they need to pull blood sugar out of the blood. Cinammon extract, Chromium as stated above, Vanadium, gymnema sylvestre, and I came across a new one yesterday I hadn't heard of, Salacia Oblonga, available from India, all are reported to help with insulin sensitivity. I could explain most of them, but maybe the shortest explanation is Chromium polynicotinate, 800 mcg to 1200 mcg per day is the only one I found that worked personally.

I am swimming in information too, but feel to share some of the pieces I have come across. I think it could help you unravel this tangled mess. I might suggest a good enzyme supplement if the probiotics are helpful. Both speak to proper digestion. I know of 3 that I like right now. I think healing the intestine so it can properly digest gets more to the root of this, will let you know if I actually find an answer. Still theory on that one, but that seems to be the root. Food should be good, and it should digest properly with the body's digestive system, then ferment properly with the good bacteria, then bad byproducts won't irritate the body. That the angle I am looking at for now. Adrenals can be supported, then things can regulate a little more properly. Having broken through a few of the blocks, my experience is that the body wants to be balanced, and readily will when the roadblocks are removed. This gets to the root and helps explain why I relate to PCOS, or why some symptoms resonate, even when it is not possible for me to have this exact configuration of symptoms. Hope something here helps. There's more where this came from, but I hold back a little. Not a lot. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't have PCOS but do have infertility from premature ovarian failure. I have been going the Chinese way and feel a lot better. Acupressure and mostly eating lots of dark green vegetables and lots more vegetables in general. Wow! It is awesome! I really believe that eating right and learning to destress has a HUGE affect on hormonal imbalances. Your body's systems work together as a whole, and when there are not enough nutrients, then things start malfunctioning.

I am off hormone replacement therapy and my symptoms are mostly gone!!!! I do deep breathing exercises to relax/destress and help my mind and body be in harmony. Acupressure - did it 3 times and after the first time, no more hot flashes! Try to eat spinach or brocolli or green veggies cooked, large bowl every day and on the days I skip this, I notice a huge drop in my energy. Also, my weight has gone down and my energy has gone up.

• 1 month later...

Add me to the ranks of the ladies that have to deal with PCOS.

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago now and have been put on a low carb diet which to my opionion seems to be working. My fiancee has noticed I'm not in bed moping all the time any more but i have a long way to go.

Can't say that I knew about the canidida thing either...I knew about probiotics cause my nutritionist told me to up my yogurt and antioxidant consumption.

• 1 month later...

I was diagnosed with such syndrome a year after my marriage..my OB prescribed fertility pills but it was all in vain..and i stopped taking those drugs..and i was informed that taking fertility drugs will someday have an unpleasent effect in our health..it's one of the causes of ovarian cancer..at first, i was kinda frustrated that i have PCOS but as years went by, i learn to deal with it squarely..i know God has a purpose..besides, you can be a mom even if you don't have biological children..when i got my Patriarchal Blessings, it say there that i will be bless with children..so when i was called as a Primary President in our branch, that must be the fulfillment of my PB in some way..afterall, God will always be true to his promises..PB can be fulfilled here on earth or in the next life..we just have to continue living the gospel so we will someday be worthy to experience having children biologically..so don't despair..you are not alone..=)

I've learned two things in the last year or so. The first is that the right diet will help greatly for many things. The second is that the right diet for one person may not be the right diet for you. If (mostly financially) possible, when there are health implications involved, it is a good idea to get consultation for a personally catered diet. Complimentary medicine can really help. I would never advise replacing regular medicine with complimentary (aka alternative) medicine, but they can work well together.

• 6 months later...

I was diagnosed with PCOS about six months ago. I am currently on metformin and a low carb diet. I have lost about twenty five pounds and feel much better. I had tried everything in the past to try to lose weight and nothing worked. I am trying to get pregnant so I am on my second round of clomid and hoping that it will work. When the doctor told me I had PCOS I was devastated but I am learning to deal with it. I am glad to finally know what is going on with me and hope to lose more weight to help control my insulin resistance. It is good to hear that there are others on this forum who have this disease. I am blessed to only have a few symptoms anxiety, insulin resistance, some facial hair growth but I refer to them as my "side burns" they are blonde so they dont really stand out. I would recommended seeing a endocrinologist so you can make sure that sugars are in staying in check.