I have not been on this site on a regular basis for a while now .I have been dealing or rather not dealing with personal issues .. but i want to start invesitigating the LDS in earnest

Meeting with missionaries is not an option right now thats a complicated story but i want to start with daily study of the standard works of the church ..can you suggest websites ect even books i could read .. are there lds bible studies ect .that i could check out ..

thank you

Andy

I'm actually reading the Book of Mormon for the first time right now. HOLY COW....I don't know why but I have to ask atLEAST 20 questions after every single chapter. I didn't grow up in an active family household so the people and where they were and why they were there completely threw me off! And Isaiah is crazy haha. Andrew, if you're going to read it and want to understand it your first time through grab a reading buddy of some kind (or maybe I'm just super simple minded and need a lot of explaining?? haha). However, simply reading it through is not a bad idea at all. The same spirit will follow whether you are understanding whats on the page or not in my experience :)! Good luck!

I have not been on this site on a regular basis for a while now .I have been dealing or rather not dealing with personal issues .. but i want to start invesitigating the LDS in earnest

Meeting with missionaries is not an option right now thats a complicated story but i want to start with daily study of the standard works of the church ..can you suggest websites ect even books i could read .. are there lds bible studies ect .that i could check out ..

thank you

Andy

Online LDS Scriptures: Scriptures

Free Book of Mormon and other Church videos: Free Media

Good Luck, Andy! Please don't ever give up.

thanks kirajo ...no youre not simple minded .. the reading is not difficult but whenyou try to understand what is happening in context then that can get rather confusing ...and please i dont want to argue with anyone about that ....allot of non mormons would concur with what i just said ...

I actually agree, and I'm about as Mormon as you can get (on the inside... no so much on the outside). Trying to put any scriptures into context is exceedingly difficult, especially if one doesn't understand the theological system that the scripture belongs to.

As for getting past the confusion, I suggest using the LDS Bible Dictionary- it will help answer basic questions.

One thing I would suggest is that each time you read the book of mormon, pray first and ask for help and guidance in understanding what is written. I find when I do this I get more out of reading.

Prayer is absolutely the way to go and while you are reading have a pen and paper handy to write down your questions ... don't count on remembering them later on ... then ask questions. I have found in my short time here that these people are really wonderful about answering in the spirit in which it was asked. They go above and beyond to exercise the true love of Christ ... which after all is what it is all about.

One suggestion ... clear out all preconceived attitudes and ideas and read in a humble manner and the Spirit will lead you.

thanks kirajo ...no youre not simple minded .. the reading is not difficult but whenyou try to understand what is happening in context then that can get rather confusing ...and please i dont want to argue with anyone about that ....allot of non mormons would concur with what i just said ...

A lot of active Mormons will agree also -- me included.

Here is a link to the Gospel Principles manual, in my opinion its the best thing for people to read to learn what we actually believe. Its the manual we teach from for the Gospel Principles class (for newbies and people wanting to learn about the church) Its designed to be taught one lesson each Sunday, but theres nothing stopping someone from finishing it in a couple weeks on their own.

Gospel Principles