The Book of Job - Is it real?

Traveler

I wanted to use the Book of Job to draw attention to some important aspects to the scriptures. To begin with I believe asking questions such as if the Book of Job is literal or even if there was such a person as Job defeats the divine purpose in the scripture. If we analyze the Book of Job we will realize that it would be impossible for any individual to have access to all the important elements of the epoch. The truths taught in the Book of Job have nothing to do with whether or not the actual person of Job ever existed. There is something far more important being taught here.

I believe the Book of Job to be an important demonstration of the divine use of types and shadows to give understanding to important principles in the mortal probation of the Children of G-d. I also believe that through the prophets of the restoration we can understand and make more sense of sacred scriptures than by any other means. The Book of Job gives us one such important example.

Twice in the Book of Job (beginning with verse 6 of chapter 1 and again at the beginning of chapter 2) Satan presents himself before G-d. The problem is that the scriptures also tell us that Satan was expelled forever from heaven. So the question is – how does he show up in heaven? The answer is that this is not the same Kingdom of heaven and same G-d talked about during the creation and prior to the fall. This is the kingdom and G-d that presides over mortal (or probationary) man and is a realm and kingdom to which Satan has access. Without this restored understanding of the G-dhead the Book of Job becomes a glaring doctrinal contradiction.

The type and shadow of the Book of Job is not just an interesting story about somebody that lived and died eons ago. It is an example and metaphor of how Jesus Christ (the G-d of probationary man) and Satan interface react and behave according to the great plan of G-d to save and exalt the righteous through a mortal experience. Therefore, Job is every person and every one and the experience of Job is the trail of morality which all the righteous must face to justify their claim to believe in G-d. In other words – there is no such thing as a fair weather believer in G-d.

I have seen much argument about just believing in G-d. Many times I believe the point of belief in G-d is missed. Job was not made great by anything but his belief in G-d that did sustain him through all difficulties. If Job’s belief in G-d was not real he could not have survived his trial – he would have failed. And so it is with us all. We cannot even know for our self what we really believe in until we have demonstrated to our heart and soul (as did Job) the full extent of our belief. It is not that we earn our salvation and exaltation but we do earn our belief in G-d and the divine revelation which is the Book of Job proves by the word of G-d that very truth to all the believe in him.

Note the question by Satan in Chapter 1 verse 9: “Doth Job fear G-d for nought?” As you read the Book of Job and as you face your trail of faith – how are you doing? Some I have seen abandon their faith in G-d just because it is difficult to fit in with the families of saints as a single person others drop off because of tithing or the Word or Wisdom. And some because someone made an offense or treated them rudely.

Come all that believe and let us walk together in the light of G-d – even as Job.

The Traveler

Traveler, personally, I think we covered this already. I cannot believe for second, why would the Savior mentioned this twice to Joseph Smith if this was not a true account. I had not even seen anything in this latter-day revelations where it is not.

As I do believe as I stated in a previous thread, observation of writing by the hand of Job or a scribe, what occurred during that vision or dream, is not always represent literalism to the observer. But to edified the individual with symbolism of truths.

Let us look at what Moses witnessed on the mount, when he was confronted by Lucifer. Was he truly taken to heaven or was he still on the mount? As the two accounts that differs between Moses and Abraham of whom spoke first when Heavenly Father presented the plan.

So, we do not have further writings of Job to help aid our understanding about this man. Do we have a complete writings of Brother of Jared or was he fiction, in demonstrating faith? Or perhaps the close call of sacrificing Abraham son, was that fact or fiction?Even the gapping of the man called the Great High Priest, is still an issue within the Doctrine and Covenants. Or perhaps the Father-in-Law of Jethro who gave Moses the Priesthood. Do you see the point? If there is no further writings to sustain this man Job, I could clearly see your point but that is not the case. ^_^

Edited by Hemidakota

The question I asked was if the doctrine taught in the Book of Job true?

I believe it is - and I believe that truth applies to every person reading the Book of Job as well as this thread.

The Traveler

Traveler, personally, I think we covered this already. I cannot believe for second, why would the Savior mentioned this twice to Joseph Smith if this was not a true account. I had not even seen anything in this latter-day revelations where it is not.

As I do believe as I stated in a previous thread, observation of writing by the hand of Job or a scribe, what occurred during that vision or dream, is not always represent literalism to the observer. But to edified the individual with symbolism of truths.

Let us look at what Moses witnessed on the mount, when he was confronted by Lucifer. Was he truly taken to heaven or was he still on the mount? As the two accounts that differs between Moses and Abraham of whom spoke first when Heavenly Father presented the plan.

So, we do not have further writings of Job to help aid our understanding about this man. Do we have a complete writings of Brother of Jared or was he fiction, in demonstrating faith? Or perhaps the close call of sacrificing Abraham son, was that fact or fiction?Even the gapping of the man called the Great High Priest, is still an issue within the Doctrine and Covenants. Or perhaps the Father-in-Law of Jethro who gave Moses the Priesthood. Do you see the point? If there is no further writings to sustain this man Job, I could clearly see your point but that is not the case. ^_^

If one understands that the "mountain of the L-rd" is the Temple or the sacred dwelling place of the L-rd then it does not matter if Moses was before G-d at the mount or in heaven. The covenant is the same.

The Traveler

The question I asked was if the doctrine taught in the Book of Job true?

I believe it is - and I believe that truth applies to every person reading the Book of Job as well as this thread.

The Traveler

True as in literally the exact way it was, or true as in probably how it was but regardless still useful? Probably the latter. True no matter how you slice it.

HiJolly

Twice in the Book of Job (beginning with verse 6 of chapter 1 and again at the beginning of chapter 2) Satan presents himself before G-d. The problem is that the scriptures also tell us that Satan was expelled forever from heaven. So the question is – how does he show up in heaven? The answer is that this is not the same Kingdom of heaven and same G-d talked about during the creation and prior to the fall. This is the kingdom and G-d that presides over mortal (or probationary) man and is a realm and kingdom to which Satan has access. Without this restored understanding of the G-dhead the Book of Job becomes a glaring doctrinal contradiction.

1. It's not Satan - the devil. It's Hasatan - the adversary, who is a member of the divine council watching over the human family. He fills the role of spy/accuser representing the king's / God's interests.

2. Anyone who thinks that God literally conspired with the devil, or anyone, to kill his righteous servant's children in order to prove a point has a very low opinion of God that is way out of alignment with Christlike behavior.

On the subject of Job, does anyone remember this song by Clay Walker?

How in this world can we put a man on the moon,

And still have a need for a place like St Jude's?

And why is one man born,

In a place where all they know is war?

An' a guy like me,

Has always been free.

Why do I feel like you hear these prayers of mine.

When so many oughta be ahead of me in line?

When you look down on me,

Can you see the good through all the bad?

These just a few questions I have.

[chorus]But I wasn't there the day you filled up the oceans.

I didn't get to see you hang the stars in the sky.

So I don't mean to second guess you,

Or criticize what I don't understand.

These are just a few questions I have.

It always makes me cry.

SCHOLARS KNOW LITTLE OF JOB, TIME OR PLACE IN WHICH HE LIVED

LDS Church News, 1990

Date: 10/27/90

The scriptures do not state that Job was a prophet, or that he had any priestly calling. However, there is no doubt that he was a righteous man. In Job 1:1, he is described as a man who was "perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." (Job 1:1.)

Much mystery surrounds Job. According to the book that bears his name, Job lived in the land of Uz. The location of this land of Uz is unknown, and even the time in which Job lived is questioned. Some scholars say he lived during the time of the patriarchs—Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Others think he might have lived as late as the time of Malachi.

Besides not having any information about the time or place in which Job lived, scholars know practically nothing of the man himself. Some boldly contend Job is a fictitious character who had a leading role in a purely literary story in the Bible.

In A Companion to Your Study of the Old Testament, Daniel H. Ludlow wrote:

"Interpretations to the book of Job have been so varied and extreme that it has been claimed that Job has suffered more from the hands of the critics than he ever did from the hands of Satan.

"Many critics of the Bible have suggested that Job is a mythological character. In modern times, however, the Lord has verified that Job existed as a real person. To an inquiring Joseph Smith, the Lord replied: 'Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.' (D&C 121:10.)"

Giving further evidence that Job was indeed a real person are two other scriptures that mention him by name, Ezek. 14:14 and James 5:11.

(ADDITIONAL INFORMATION)

Articles on this page may be used in conjunction with the Gospel Doctrine course of study.

Information compiled by Gerry Avant

Sources: A Companion to Your Study of the Old Testament, by Daniel H. Ludlow; and April 1969 and October 1987 general conference reports.