That's "Brother" Obama to you.

Just_A_Guy

"The LDS Church is walking a fine line when the mother of our very special president has been posthumously baptized and endowed in a Utah temple," she said. "It sends out the message that the religion she chose while she was alive was not good enough. And that spills onto her son, who is our president."

Oh, he is special alright...:eek::rolleyes:

"The LDS Church is walking a fine line when the mother of our very special president has been posthumously baptized and endowed in a Utah temple," she said. "It sends out the message that the religion she chose while she was alive was not good enough. And that spills onto her son, who is our president."

The fact that we have missionaries sends the message that the religion that he chooses isn't good enough, or anyone's who isn't LDS if you want to look at it like that.

On the other hand the fact that Obama is not LDS sends out the Message that he feels the religion I've chosen is not good enough. Somebody needs to call Fox News, Obama sends message, "Mormonism is a bunch of hogwash!" more at 11! :D

has it been confirmed it's actually her? if it is and it wasn't submitted with consent of a relative then it was done against church policy on these things and that person should be delt with accordingly.... however, i suspect it's not her. how many ppl have had their work done or get baptized that happen to have the same name as someone "famous" and then the rumors start about this person or that person being a member when they are not.

i can start fun "famous ppl" rumors too...... my son played soccer last year against a team that will smith was playing on...... (my son and will smith were both 6 by the way)

The lady the article quotes has made a hobby of trolling through the IGI and embarrassing the Church by pointing out certain individuals whose work has been done posthumously. Her work forms the basis for a lot of our disagreements with our Jewish brethren.

The lady the article quotes has made a hobby of trolling through the IGI and embarrassing the Church by pointing out certain individuals whose work has been done posthumously. Her work forms the basis for a lot of our disagreements with our Jewish brethren.

I've never fully understood why the brouhaha, who cares if a bunch of crazy people (from their point of view) say they are magically converting people after they have died? If say, the Pope declared that all Christians after death become Roman Catholic I wouldn't be up in arms over it.

*shrug*

I've never fully understood why the brouhaha, who cares if a bunch of crazy people (from their point of view) say they are magically converting people after they have died? If say, the Pope declared that all Christians after death become Roman Catholic I wouldn't be up in arms over it.

*shrug*

D&C 10:20-22

20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that Satan has great hold upon their hearts; he stirreth them up to iniquity against that which is good;

21 And their hearts are corrupt, and full of wickedness and abominations; and they love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil; therefore they will not ask of me.

22 Satan stirreth them up, that he may lead their souls to destruction

*shrug*

For the Jewish people of faith, it is a very big deal. You and I may not be able to understand it, but it is part of their culture and beliefs that doing baptisms for the dead is highly offensive to them.

Thus, the brouhaha. Kind of like producing the temple endowment on television is a brouhaha for Mormons.

Thus, the brouhaha. Kind of like producing the temple endowment on television is a brouhaha for Mormons.

I wasn't up in arms over that either, so either I'm broken (very possible) or it isn't quite comparable either. I can certainly understand preferring other people not do certain stuff, but I didn't really get the LDS who run around like the sky was falling over that incident either.

Where's a rock solid faithed practicing Jew when you need one to explain things to you.

Oh, he is special alright...:eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, I read that line, and I was like "huh?"

i can start fun "famous ppl" rumors too...... my son played soccer last year against a team that will smith was playing on...... (my son and will smith were both 6 by the way)

I went to college with Dave Matthews.

Actually, in my ward that year, we had 4 Daves, so we always used last names. There was David Matthews (who went by David), who was very shy, quiet, and reserved, and had never heard of Dave Matthews (10 years ago). He didn't really appreciate it when everyone always inadvertently called him Dave.

For the Jewish people of faith, it is a very big deal. You and I may not be able to understand it, but it is part of their culture and beliefs that doing baptisms for the dead is highly offensive to them.

Good point. Holocaust victims are treated specially- all living relatives must give consent to have any victim of the Holocaust baptized posthumously.

What I don't get are the others who don't have any real reason other than to be offended. I'm thinking of my grandparents who aren't really religious but absolutely refuse to let my father submit their names for posthumous baptism because... well, they don't really have a reason, as far as I can tell. It seems the day of accepting the good-will efforts of others are evaporating if those efforts have anything to do with religion.

Edited by Maxel