Questions From Someone Interested

Hello. I had posted an introduction the other day. For those that didn't read it, my name is Keith. I'm 38 and live in NC. I was a Free Will Baptist. I did a lot of exploring various churches throughout the years. I always felt empty. I always felt as if there were questions I had that weren't being answered. Deep down I knew there was something else out there. I just wasn't sure what it was. Then I actually got a copy of the Book of Mormon. I've been reading it. I also just finished a book called Mormonism for Dummies. That's a little of who I am. I wrote a decent size intro for anyone who hasn't read it. That will give you a better idea of who I am and what's been going on.

I didn't really know much about what Mormons believed. I was taught growing up that Mormons were a cult. I really had no clue what the LDS Church was all about. I always liked the commercials that aired. They seemed to promote really good values and principles. The Mormons I've heard about always seemed like people to admire. It's been only recently that I've actually started reading about doctrine, etc. I'm now seeing things about spirit children, the Heavenly Mother, and so forth for the very first time. I know I need more prayer and study.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what books would you recommend to someone who is interested in Mormonism? Are there any personal favorites that you have?

My other questions aren't really about theological issues. They have to do with other things that have come into my mind. I hope none of these sound silly. They probably do, but I was wondering about them.

Can Mormon men have facial hair? I think almost all the Mormon men I've seen at the website, etc. have not had any at all. I was wondering. Personally I kept my hair very short, but I do have a goatee.

What are your personal take on the beverages that you can't drink? What do you drink? So do any of you drink decaf coffee? Do you drink any sort of tea? What about soft drinks?

I grew up being taught that there was certain kinds of music and movies that you shouldn't entertain yourself with. I know in the book I just read the authors talk about this some.

What about you guys? What kind of music do you listen to? Is there any music you won't listen to at all? What about movies? Do you only watch G or PG rated movies? Would you ever watch a movie that had violence, nudity, bad language, etc. in it?

Are members of the LDS Church all expected to go around and knock on doors trying to find new converts? I'll be honest. I can't see myself doing that all. I didn't like doing it when I was growing up and we did it in my Free Will Baptist denomination.

I'll stop there with the questions. I'm sure I've got more. I appreciate your feedback very much. Thanks. I am really enjoying being on this board. I hope all of you have been having a great weekend.

Keith

Wow lots of questions here.

Music: We are taught that we should listen to music that would be uplifting. Music that would invite the Spirit into our lives.

Movies: Again, movies that would be uplifting. We are advised and counseled to stay away from "R" rated movies. Though I've seen some PG rated movies that I thought were a bit over the line as well. Many times the images that are portrayed on the screen have a tendency to stay with us and keep the Spirit away.

Drinks: Again we are advised to stay away from coffee and tea. While it hasn't yet been said we can't drink caffeinated soft drinks...we do know that caffeine can be bad for us. Anything that can be harmful to our bodies is not advised.

The only ones I know that actually go knocking on doors are our full time missionaries. While we do advocate "Every member a missionary" it is not a requirement for us to go door to door.

hi! So, no coffee at all, doesn't matter if it's fully loaded or decaf. And we stick to herbal teas (although some of us *me* don't like tea at all..yuck!).

The goatee is fine. Way back in the day the men of the church all had super long beards..kinda like the one my daddy sports today. He could pass for one of the dudes in ZZ Top (no joke).

You can check out all of our pages to see the kinds of music we all like. It's pretty varied. Personally, I like my list... and Dr T's...and Miss Halfway's.. oh! And wingnut's.. and Pam's. lol! yeah.. you should just check them out. :)

Good luck!

. . . Then I actually got a copy of the Book of Mormon. I've been reading it. YAY I also just finished a book called Mormonism for Dummies. YAY.

I'm now seeing things about spirit children, the Heavenly Mother, and so forth for the very first time. I know I need more prayer and study . . . and, please, take these topics slowly (though I love my H-avenly M-ther) the discussion are generally a distraction . . .

Keith:

I'm glad you posted back.

Books: I used to recommend A Marvelous Work and A Wonder, but that book is a bit dated. I always recommend Mormon.org - Home (to investigators and antagonists who don't know anything about Latter-day Saints). Most of the books I read are secular, but I love to read The Ensign (an LDS monthly magazine) and highly recommend it, though it is generally not in most newstands. I am glad you read Mormonism for Dummies, I really like that book. It demystifies a lot of the falsehoods about the church. A church manual I love is Gospel Principles, if you spoke to some missionaries, they could help you get both this manual and The Ensign and loads of other great stuff, but if you are not ready for that you can find the entire Gospel Principles manual at: LDS.org - Sunday School Table of Contents - Gospel Principles . The Book of Mormon is of course the best place to start.

Facial hair: I have always had a beard, mustache, or goatee since I ETSed from the military (even when I was the EQ Pres . . . ummm that is a note for the quibble mice). I will note that bishops and other leaders are encouraged to shave daily. If I were called to a bishopric, I would shave in a second.

Beverages: Liking and not drinking are two completely different subjects. I love wine and JD, but I have not had any since 1992 when I got serious about the church after a youth, military stint, and two years at BYU drunk (same for smoking, but I never really liked it, the other drunks were doing it). I have just committed to stop drinking caffeine, so no more Coke, but for most members it is simply a personal choice. As far as coffee goes, it is possibly the only thing I have ever tasted except motor-oil and gasoline that tastes worse than beer (and of course beer/pizza-vomit). Don't drink it, it's nasty. As a Latter-day Saint the coffee-thing is easy. Tea is boring and Coke better so why bother. However, both coffee and tea are covered by the Word of Wisdom, so no-go anyway.

Music: I love the blues, rock, r&b, most heavy metal, blue-grass, and jazz, some country, rap, and big-band, the occasional broadway musical, classical, and MoTab. I should note that I do delete the really repulsive stuff from my iTunes. I delete sexually exploitative music and generally shy away from stuff with too much non-TV profanity. I have begun to hate love-songs, but that has nothing to do with being LDS.

Movies: I recently committed to no R-rated movies (definitely a personal choice), so that means I don't watch many movies anymore unless I see them on TV. PG is a rating in my opinion that generally means "this movie blows".

Missionary work: All missionary work is voluntary (if you are missionary-age -- 19 to 24 -- it is recommended you serve a 2 year mission). If it is not your thing, than do not feel bad at all. As a Latter-day Saint, I can spend my time serving in many capacities (I recommend not being a Scout Master, there is no worse calling in the church . . . I loved it anyway, however).

Sorry, I went long. Ask more stuff.

Edited by the Ogre

Can Mormon men have facial hair?

As noted Missionaries are required to be clean shaven. While there is no doctrine against facial hair those in leadership positions (Bishop's, Stake Presidents and the like) are encouraged not to do so, additionally sometimes a local unit takes it upon themselves to encourages such clean shaven behavior, for instance the stake (collection of wards, a ward being a congregation that meets in a meetinghouse) my parents are in has encouraged the men not to wear beards regardless of what calling (volunteer service position inside the church) they have but if my Dad grew one it wouldn't prevent him being able to go to the Temple or anything like that and he wouldn't be subject to any soft of discipline.

Mostly (and this is IMHO) we are cautioned against extremes in dress and appearance, beards used to not be outside the norm and thus a lot of members had them, as that changed and beards became less of the norm and more of an exception (even when I lived in Alaska clean shaven was the norm) then beards became more of an 'extreme' appearance and the culturally considered wholesome look of a clean face was encouraged. I imagine if we featured another such shift then you stop seeing facial hair discouraged like it is. So it's nothing against facial hair specifically so much as it doesn't fit the clean conservative (not as in political party but as in not going out on a limb) look the is encouraged.

Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate it. I'll definitely check out those books that were recommended. I really enjoyed Mormonism for Dummies. It gave me a really good overview of the LDS Church. I also found out about some of the beliefs that I didn't know about beforehand.

I've been a social drinker. I would have no problem giving that up. I also have smoked cigars. I would give that up to. I don't drink much coffee. I do drink my share of ice tea. I do drink soft drinks. I was wondering who drank what. Even in that book I read it said some Mormons were stricter on what they drank than others.

As far as music, I generally listen to a lot of stuff from like the 50's to 60's. It's usually everything from the Rat Pack to Motown.

The movies I watch are generally from that era as well. I will admit that I've watched my share of 1970's movies starring guys like Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson.

I was wondering about the facial hair thing. I've seen mostly clean cut guys when I've seen Mormon men. I know I've come across a few as well with facial hair. I keep mine trimmed up. If I had to shave it off, I would but I much prefer having it.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your feedback. I look forward to anyone else who wants to offer any response.

Oh yeah. How long does it usually take from the first time someone attends the local meetinghouse and starts meeting with the missionaries and when they are baptized? Also what is usually the calling that new converts are given by the bishop?

I would have no problem talking with family and friends about my faith, but I wouldn't be thrilled about having to go around and knocking on doors.

Also for those who have converted, how did you deal with the reaction of your family and friends? Were they supportive or antagonistic about it? I can already figure out which ones of mine will be fine with it and which will have a hissy fit.

Thanks again. Take care. Have a great week.

Oh yeah. How long does it usually take from the first time someone attends the local meetinghouse and starts meeting with the missionaries and when they are baptized?

It really depends. I do not recommend sprinting and then diving into the baptismal font. My grandfather took two and a half years. My ex took six weeks. I would guess a couple of months would work out best for all. I do not think there is a minimum or maximum time, but then I never served a mission so I do not know.

Make sure your questions are answered satisfactorily. Be satisfied and happy about what you are doing.

If you are uncomfortable asking the missionaries something, you can ask the bishop. They are very good at keeping confidences. You can ask us, but as you notice, sometimes the answers get convoluted -- stick with the simple answers, salvation is not based on advanced degrees in theology. Often the deep stuff is not important. Joy is to be had and savored and is best when the spirit touches you heart through the simple beauty of the gospel.

Also what is usually the calling that new converts are given by the bishop?

When I reactivated, I was the Sunday School Secretary. When my ex joined, she became a nursery worker. My brother's wife helped write the Sacrament meeting programs.

I would have no problem talking with family and friends about my faith, but I wouldn't be thrilled about having to go around and knocking on doors.

If you go a mission, there is plenty of opportunity for this. The only time I ever did is when I was the Ward Mission Leader or volunteered to do splits with the missionaries (I didn't serve a mission). I only volunteered for splits maybe four times in my entire life (unfortunately); but, when I was the mission leader, I did loads of stuff with the missionaries, but it still mostly involved helping families to reach-out to their neighbors and friends. Latter-day Saints are not the JWs, door-knocking is not mandatory. Now, I know some folks who are good at it, but even they do not have a lot of opportunity to do so; they invite people over for family home evening, dinners, and holidays. Tracting and cold-calling are always the worst options. Being a good and honest friend and neighbor is always the best way to proselytize. Edited by the Ogre

I do not think there is a minimum or maximum time, but then I never served a mission so I do not know.

It varies per mission as decided by the Mission President. For instance in the Spokane mission while I was there it was 2 consecutive Sundays (so no quicker than 2 weeks possible) and then extended to 3 (so no quicker than 3 weeks) the average was much longer than that.

How long does it usually take from the first time someone attends the local meetinghouse and starts meeting with the missionaries and when they are baptized?

Aside from the above it is just a question of keeping the commitments (which if somebody has a problem with one (acceptance or application) could take a while) and answering the baptismal interview questions truthfully in such a way to indicate that you understand the covenant you are getting into is and you understand and have a testimony of the basic doctrines taught before baptism.

This is the Missionary guide/instruction book Preach My Gospel.

Chapter 3 lessons 1-4 are what you need to understand and accept before baptism (These should be taught again after baptism including Lesson 5). You might also be interested in Chapter 12 which is titled How Do I Prepare People for Baptism and Confirmation?. It also includes how to make sure people are ready, how to set up the baptism itself and the baptismal interview questions if you are curious.

I'm now seeing things about spirit children, the Heavenly Mother, and so forth for the very first time. I know I need more prayer and study.

That’s the best way to start out!

but what books would you recommend to someone who is interested in Mormonism?

Another book I didn’t see anybody bring up (but I could have missed it) was by Elder M. Russell Ballard called “Our Search for Happiness.” As you can probably guess its written by one of the Apostles, for the purpose of Non-members (you) trying to understand Mormons.

Most LDS people should have a copy of it, but its been a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Our-Search-Happiness-Russell-Ballard/dp/0875799175

Also I'm sure somebody explained the Ensign? pretty much lds.org is the Church's website, but you can view the church magazine called the Ensign. (You can go all the way back to 1970)

The current edition is from our General Conference (Leaders of the church speak to the whole church).

You can download MP3's or watch (Stream them). I like listening to the MP3's in my car.

Can Mormon men have facial hair?

Probably most of your questions could be answers with the Strength of Youth Pamphlet.

http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,30-1-7-1,00.html

Its really more a small book that the LDS church puts out for Youth (teenagers) for them to have a better idea of really what the LDS church expects of them.

But for your question, yes Mormon men have facial hair; it’s really a matter of trying to be presentable, and wanting to take care of ourselves. Over the history of church it has gone back and forth (it’s the style, its not the style) now its fine as long as you keep it clean is kind of the rule.

What do you drink?

Milk, Water, Juice, maybe Rootbeer, or sprite.

So do any of you drink decaf coffee?

Its not just the caffeine in the coffee, but others and we just avoid coffee altogether. Never had it.

Do you drink any sort of tea?

Nope

I read it said some Mormons were stricter on what they drank than others.

This is one thing you are going to learn not only from this message board, but about Mormons all over the world.

The word of wisdom about what not to take in our body is pretty clear. There is a gray area about Caffeine in drinks. Some feel that its not part of the Word of Wisdom, others feel because it’s a type of drug it is in the word of wisdom. Really its up to each person how they feel. There is really no right or wrong answer in this area. Most people that feel its bad is more talking about the “spirit of the Law.” Others do what is required.

What kind of music do you listen to?

What about movies?

Back to the Strength of youth

http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,30-1-7-7,00.html

Really the idea is if you listen to “bad” music, then its going to affect the spirit you have with you. Same with Movies. Again this is a little bit of a gray area. Prophets in the past have talked about not watching R movies for the violence. Some take it as a suggestion. Really the guidance giving in the Strength of youth is about as good as you get on the matter.

Are members of the LDS Church all expected to go around and knock on doors trying to find new converts?

Yes and no. We are not expect to Knock on doors. But each member is expect to at least share the "good news" of the Gospel to others. Some struggle with it, but there isn’t any punishment for not doing it. Its more we feel we can bless others. Some go the extra mile, some don’t.

Oh yeah. How long does it usually take from the first time someone attends the local meetinghouse and starts meeting with the missionaries and when they are baptized?

Really its about progressing. If a new member is following the lessons and are reading the book of mormon and so forth the Lessons (discussions) the missionaries gives are usually done pretty quick even two times a week 6 lessons. Do the math.

If somebody struggles and really isn’t committed to progressing, then it can take longer.

I would say somewhere between 6-10 weeks.

Also what is usually the calling that new converts are given by the bishop?

That’s up to the bishop. Each ward is different. I know you will become a Home Teacher, not really a calling (in the full sense) its more of a responsibility of the priesthood.

I think more questions are going to be comeing!

When you prepare for baptism, you will be interviewed to see if you are ready. You will be asked some general questions like, how do you feel about the gospel as taught church, if you have a testimony of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon and modern prophets, and you will be asked some specific questoins. The specifics are about committments you are expected to live up to after baptism, and that you have shown a willingness to do before hand. They include an agreement to attend church weekly, to be morally chaste (no sex outside marriage), to pay tithing, and to obey the word of wisdom, by obstaining from coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco. There are no questions about soda, r-rated movies, taste in music or facial hair. And you don't need to feel like you have to be an expert in the gospel. You just have to know it is true, and that you are willing to repent of your sins and prepare to live a Christlike life. The missionaries who teach you and other investigators, are there to make sure you have that testimony and are ready for baptism. You will know when it is right.

Thanks for the continued response. It's been great. It has definitely been a big help. I do appreciate the book recommendations. They've been very amazing. I've been checking them out on Amazon and will soon be ordering some of them.

I wasn't sure if there was a set time that you can to go through lessons with the missionaries before you could get baptized. You guys answered that question. Thanks.

I was really wondering about the drinks. It seemed like there was a lot of gray area there. You had some people who wouldn't drink soft drinks at all, while others would. So on.

It was cool to hear your views on the entertainment issue. I was wondering how individuals handled that.

The facial hair was something that had me a little concerned. I really didn't like the idea of having to shave. I keep myself groomed. I don't look like some wild man or anything.

I guess that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have some more questions later on. Thanks again. I appreciate it. If anybody thinks of anything else they wanna add, including book recommendations, feel free to post them.

Oh yeah. For the person that asked, I bought my copy of Mormonism for Dummies on Amazon. I guess Amazon UK might have it too.

Take care. Have a good week.

Hi Lds_investigator,

I know that LDS "practices" with regards to dress standards and heath code are a little strange. Some of them don't make sense to others and sometimes what we really believe and how we see these things are greatly misunderstood. But I hope that you can see that those things really aren't the core of what we believe. Concentrate on understanding that core and then obtaining a vision of the spirit of the laws we follow. There is much in the way of truth there.

Wishing you blessings on your spiritual journey.

Hi lds_investigator. I have been investigating the church for several years myself. Most of that time has been from outside the church just reading. I started meeting with missionaries, stop them for about a year and have recently started again and went back to services this past weekend. However, a few books that i read over that time were, Mormon America which was an investigation of the church from two people outside of the church, which i thought was excellent. I have also read "Stand for Something" by Gordon Hinkley(excellent book).

One web site that I go to quite often is Jeff Lindsey's website. You can Google his name or the quick link is Mormons and Mormon Beliefs: An Introduction to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) - Mormon Truth. His site has been an excellent resource for me.

Thanks for the continued wonderful response. I am so glad I joined this board. You guys have been a huge blessing to me.

I did have a couple of other questions.

Should a non-Mormon partake of the bread and water during the sacrament meeting or not?

Which should I do first? Meet with the missionaries or attend a Sunday service?

What time of day can the missionaries meet with you?

I work at nights. Is that going to be a problem for me at all? What sort of things are at the local meetinghouse during the week at night? I might be able to get away from work a few hours and then go back. I work for a cleaning service at night. I have a certain amount of hours I work. It's flexible as to when I work in the night. I can do my work later if I had to that night.

How did any of you who are converts discuss with your family and friends your decision to join to the LDS Church? How did they react to it?

Hi lds_investigator, good to meet ya on here!

Just thought I'd say that you could meet the missionaries first or you could just attend the church first- either way is fine. If you meet the missionaries first and plan to meet them at church, I'm sure they would be excited about that and you'd have someone you know there to sit by.

The missionaries are doing their missionary work all day long every day except for one day a week that they take for their "preparation day". So you can meet with them anytime. When I was a missionary I would love getting appointments during the day so that we wouldn't have to just go knocking on doors all day.

In my understanding, you could partake of the bread and water if you want to in the sacrament meeting, but it just won't have the same meaning or significance for you as it will after you're baptized. We don't really encourage you to take it until after baptism.

There's different activities at the church during the week- the youth groups meet once a week, often at the church for some activity, and maybe the older men might play some basketball or something some night during the week or on saturday.

Thanks for the continued wonderful response. I am so glad I joined this board. You guys have been a huge blessing to me.

I did have a couple of other questions.

Should a non-Mormon partake of the bread and water during the sacrament meeting or not?

I work at nights. Is that going to be a problem for me at all? What sort of things are at the local meetinghouse during the week at night? I might be able to get away from work a few hours and then go back. I work for a cleaning service at night. I have a certain amount of hours I work. It's flexible as to when I work in the night. I can do my work later if I had to that night.

How did any of you who are converts discuss with your family and friends your decision to join to the LDS Church? How did they react to it?

You prob shouldn't partake of the Sacrament, unless you have that itch in the back of your throat that just won't go away....

Meet the missionaries! If possible try to attend church with them the first time. Esp during fast Sundays :lol:

They can meet you any time you and they can make an appointment. They do have a curfew though.

I work nights too and it really stinks when I have to work the weekend. Most of the time I take a small little nap before church and suddenly it's 3pm :eek: Hopefully you live in the boundaries of an active ward, mine is kind've snoozy when it comes to week activities.

I'm glad you found your way here. You'll find that Mormons are pretty simple folk, most of our heated discussions involve chocolate cake in temple cafeterias and the lineage of God :P

We take the sacrament to renew (remind ourself and recommit to) our baptismal covenants (amongst other reasons) since you've not entered into that covenant that really wouldn't be anything for you to renew. That said if you did partake chances are nobody will say anything or even notice.

If you meet with the missionaries first they can make sure that leadership (or anyone else they can inform) are aware of you coming and if they can't chaperon you around themselves introduce you to somebody who would be more that willing to do so. They can also inform you about the nature of the meetings and are a great source to ask questions to both before and after and even during the meeting block. So if somebody says something in a talk or you have a question on the sacrament you could ask them right after.

Generally speaking from 10am to 9pm. They take dinner and lunch between those times but are flexible about those, so if you could only meet at 12pm (generally lunch) they should be able to meet with you anyway and eat right after they meet with you (of course if you invited them to lunch or dinner and a lesson they'll work something out ;)).

What sort of things are at the local meetinghouse during the week at night?

The most common is the youth programs are generally held one night per week per ward. Monday is Family Home Evening so nothing should be scheduled for that night, youth programs tend to be Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday depending on the ward. Sometimes potlucks, activities for the whole ward or activities for the Youth, Elders Quorum (younger to middle aged men), Relief Society (women 18 and up) and High Priests Quorum (men middled aged or up ), or any combination of the above. The Missionaries should be able to give you a heads up on that kind of stuff.

If you can only meet with them at the church even if these things are happening (and you would be welcome to the ones that apply to you) they could find an out of the way room if that is your concern.

I might be able to get away from work a few hours and then go back. I work for a cleaning service at night. I have a certain amount of hours I work. It's flexible as to when I work in the night. I can do my work later if I had to that night.

Generally Missionaries have a hard time finding people to meet in the morning and afternoon (most people are at work) so they'd more than likely have openings during that time. Anyway, you can work the details out with them, if its between 10am-9pm chances are they can get something to work.

Edited by Dravin
I hate typing on a laptop keyboard.

Can Mormon men have facial hair? I think almost all the Mormon men I've seen at the website, etc. have not had any at all. I was wondering. Personally I kept my hair very short, but I do have a goatee.

I've not read all the replies to this thread, it's still too early in the morning for me to even consider reading anything longer than two sentences and taking any of it in, however I thought I'd point out that while they won't stop patrons entering the temple with facial hair, they do prefer them to be clean shaven. Also any temple staff and voluntary workers have to be missionary standards i.e. clean shaven. I don't know if this applies to all church employees or just the temples.

I actually would leave this question for the missionaries, or put it on the list of questions to ask the missionaries. Really like it has already been explained it doesn’t really matter. (So its up to you). But I have heard that some don’t want to take it until after baptism to in a way make the sacrament more meaningful. From somebody that has been a life lone member, I can see this. There are times were members (like me) take the sacrament for granted just go through the motions. I would hope if you do take the sacrament before your are baptized that when the time comes it isn’t just something that happens on Sunday. I can see waiting until then, would make it more meaningful.

Also, they not only baptize but also give you the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are done on separate days, but you wouldn’t take the sacrament until after the gift of the Holy Ghost is completed in Church.

That’s really like the chicken or the egg. Again it doesn’t matter, its really what ever you feel more comfortable with. I would probably suggest talking to the missionaries first. They can prepare you for what church is going to be like. Depends on if you want to stay for the full 3 hours!

Any time pretty much between 9:30 am and 9:30pm! Trust me they actually like to do more of Missionary work during the daytime ours, but that’s when most people work.

What sort of things are at the local meetinghouse during the week at night?

I’m guessing you are thinking of meeting with the missionaries at the church? They can meet with you at your home? Weeknights (7-10pm) it all depends, each organization in the church tend to use the Church building for different activities. That’s not to say you still couldn’t meet at the church. You can find some class room that isn’t used and meet.

It's flexible as to when I work in the night. I can do my work later if I had to that night.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by Night! I don’t think this would be a problem. It really would matter more on Church on Sunday. Your Church could be at 9am or 3pm in the afternoon. Then again you would have had time to take a nap before church starts.

Again the missionaries would know more of these details.

I have no problem with meeting the missionaries at my home. I just wanted to know about the time situation because I work at night, so it would be easier for me to meet them during the day. The reason I asked about what went on at the meetinghouse at night was because I was curious about the church activities. I didn't know what I might be missing out on by working at night. That's why I was wondering about that. I have no problem waiting on partaking of the bread and water during sacrament. I actually would prefer that to be honest. I think I will probably want to meet with the missionaries before I attend my first service. That way I don't want into the service feeling so out of place.

I have no problem with meeting the missionaries at my home. I just wanted to know about the time situation because I work at night, so it would be easier for me to meet them during the day. The reason I asked about what went on at the meetinghouse at night was because I was curious about the church activities. I didn't know what I might be missing out on by working at night. That's why I was wondering about that. I have no problem waiting on partaking of the bread and water during sacrament. I actually would prefer that to be honest. I think I will probably want to meet with the missionaries before I attend my first service. That way I don't want into the service feeling so out of place.

Dude, I think you have begun to formulate a great plan. When you meet the missionaries and go to church, post us back with more questions. I am quite excited to hear how it goes.