When do the right things become easy?

martybess

When it becomes a habit.

I don't know if this is the same topic but its close. My second mission president shared the following during a zone meeting.

When a locomotive train engine is stopped, a simple wedge will inhibit forward motion no matter how much power is applied. On the other hand if the engine is traveling at full speed it will smash through almost any wall that you can place in front of it.

The turnaround moment in the life of the prodigal son, as told is described in these words: "He came to himself." I think it’s a RECOVERY, NOT A CHANGE. (Yes there's many scriptres that say "change" but could that not be just our language?

If people are ill, we do not expect them to be transformed into a different kind of physical specimen. We expect them to become as they used to be—healthy or whole (which, incidentally, mean the same thing). They need to "feel like themselves again. Transformation does not "make us over" into a different kind of creature, but restores us to what we once were. It’s "being ourselves." - [Re]birth , as a child.

Rom 12:2 KJV - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Job 14:7 KJV - For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.

Are we not trying to return or to our HF? A [returning] too.

IS IT NOT THEN WHEN IT WILL BECOME EASY????

-Marty

I was thinking along the same lines as Mikbone. Doing good becomes easy when it becomes a habit to the point that you either look forward to doing it or do it without thinking about it. When you make it ingrained into who and what you are to the point that you don't even consider not doing it.

When it becomes a habit.

I don't know if this is the same topic but its close. My second mission president shared the following during a zone meeting.

When a locomotive train engine is stopped, a simple wedge will inhibit forward motion no matter how much power is applied. On the other hand if the engine is traveling at full speed it will smash through almost any wall that you can place in front of it.

I like that analogy. Thanks.

I started going to the gym again. The trainer at the gym told me, "The things that are good for you are hard or painful. The things that are bad for you are easy or sweet. So, if you find that you are not hurting, then you probably need to think about it and see if you're still doing the right thing or if you're doing enough of it. Or if it tastes so good, you probably need to check it out and see if it is good for you."

I can apply that as an answer to this question as well...

I've said this on the forum before, some may remember. I think it has particular application to this topic.

I was in an interview with then [stake] President Bednar. He asked a simple question. "Why don't people do their Home teaching?"

He answered, "Because they are not fully converted to the Lord."

There was more to the conversation, but this is the main point. All the studying I have done since then has led me to the same conclusion. There becomes a moment when we are filled with the Holy Ghost, or filled with fire. Listen to how this is described:

3 Nephi 19:

24 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus prayed unto the Father, he came unto his disciples, and behold, they did still continue, without ceasing, to pray unto him; and they did not multiply many words, for it was given unto them what they should pray, and they were filled with desire.

When the Spirit fills us with this desire (or fire) it is easy to do the right thing. In fact, this is when we desire to do good continually. Fire is a very good description of this overwhelming and complete desire to do good continually.

Mosiah 5:

2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

Alma 41:

14 Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.

Alma 63: 2

2 And he was a just man, and he did walk uprightly before God; and he did observe to do good continually, to keep the commandments of the Lord his God; and also did his brother.

Ether 8:

26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved.

Moroni 7:

13 But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.

The change spoken of is of the heart (or of desire). This leads to a change in actions. So, yes, repentance implies a change of actions, but it is preceded by a conversion or change of heart. The change of heart leads to a "return to things that are righteous" action wise.

I believe this is how it fits together martybess. Very good topic, I'll be watching with interest.

When the Spirit fills us with this desire (or fire) it is easy to do the right thing. In fact, this is when we desire to do good continually. Fire is a very good description of this overwhelming and complete desire to do good continually

Fully converted or as I like to put it Fully “restored”.

This is what I’m suggesting and this scripture brings it out. We use change because we are changed from the “natural man” by the FIRE within but really it’s a returning to or a restoring of.

Alma 41:

“see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually” <---[Give up the “me” desire for you] Loose yourself and then “ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; <-- A returning too rather than a change.

In one of my religion classes Bob Norman put it like this: “Were we not gods with a lower case ”g” in the premortal life?"

Anyway habbit helps us in our daily walk while we battle the "Natural Man" but the conversion or returning to, the [fire] time warps that daily walk.

I LIKE YOUR TEACHING FOLKS!

-Marty

Edited by martybess

Good topic as I'm faced with changing the direction my life is going and finding the task very difficult. I wish it would be easier. I pray that it gets easier.

I like what Justice mentioned about the change in heart or conversion. I find that makes it easier to cope (you're not alone).

Of course having faith that you're doing the right thing makes the burden ever so slightly lighter.

Good topic as I'm faced with changing the direction my life is going and finding the task very difficult. I wish it would be easier. I pray that it gets easier.

I like what Justice mentioned about the change in heart or conversion. I find that makes it easier to cope (you're not alone).

Of course having faith that you're doing the right thing makes the burden ever so slightly lighter.

I agree with justice. To be converted means to be committed, to be convinced, to be settled in ones mind with a spiritual witness that what you are doing is the will of God. Once you are absolutely sure then you must abandone the hesitation, the doubt and uncertainty that the enemy will surely try to bring to your mind.

Remember that we battle with a cunning adversary that knows and understand your weaknesses better than you. You must avail yourself of every weapon to combat him and "taking away the space and stage in which he dances is the best way to shut down his act..." my grandma just to say. That means your thoughts.

Stop talking to yourself about how difficult this is and how much you desire to do the easy thing and all that other stuff that you hear in your mind. Slap yourself every time you find the thought creeping into your mind. Decide on your course and start walking. Do not think about it, just do it.

Easy enough question: When do the right things becomes easy? I'm really curious what others have to say about this. :D

-Marty

The right things become easy when you are born again. You no longer care of Earthly things. Your camel no longer is weighted down and you can fit through the eye of the needle.