How much

Winnie G

What's Your Point Of View?

How much money would you have to win in the lottery to comfortably quit your job?

$1,000,000 More than $1,000,000 I wouldn't quit

A group of co-workers won $49.000.000 this last week in Alberta.

I wonder how many will show up for work on Monday?

I would not quit as far as I know. I've always said I don't work in my line of work for the money. Though gaining that much money would no doubt affect my career plans in the future. Either way, I would not stop working, whether it be paid, working for myself or voluntry

Edited by Mahone

Shouldn't be playing the lotter- we are counseled not to gamble, y'know :)

I suspect the question was hypothetical. For all we know, she may have been celebrating with those coworkers and sharing a part in the money had she not been counseled not to gamble ;)

I would quit my job for sure.

I work in a job that is very boring and completely unmeaningful LOL - but its needed

to pay the bills.

I'd love to not work - I'd spend more time with my family and friends and probably get involved with some sort of charity work.

As for the amount, these days you need a lot of money, probably 500k IF you invest wisely?

Guest missingsomething

You know I know this sounds crazy.... but I wouldnt quit everything - Id just be able to work at what I want to do... rather than what I have to do. Idle hands are the devils something? I dunno...

Id need at least 10Million - Id want to give all my family some... then Id start some kinda fund to help homeless people get started back to the road of respect and rehabilitation.

Then... ID PARTY LIKE ITS 1999. Oh wait... crap... is 2009 already. Oh well missed the boat!

Guest missingsomething

I would quit my job for sure.

I work in a job that is very boring and completely unmeaningful LOL - but its needed

to pay the bills.

I'd love to not work - I'd spend more time with my family and friends and probably get involved with some sort of charity work.

As for the amount, these days you need a lot of money, probably 500k IF you invest wisely?

Tell that to the guy who up until 9 mo ago had investments growing! Is there really any truly wise investment? A non-fail, gonna grow investment :P Nah come on... you're dreamin here... go for the gusto.

I've learned in my 27 years of getting a paycheck that it is not a matter of how much you made, but how much you spend. I can tell you right now that I was richer when I was making 10 bucks an hour at the grocery store than I am now making much much more.

A lot of people winning the lottery end up broke in under 5 years.

So, if I ever get into a situation where I made millions of dollars in one year (no gambling, so yeah, I'll change the hypothetical to earning), I would still continue to improve on my career skills just in case I ended up needing to spend all of it (e.g. cancer treatment or whatever) and will have to earn more.

Hypothetically--it would have to be enough to set up a fund large enough that I could live comfortably off the interest if it were invested very conservatively.

Probably at least $2.5 million.

And even then, I'd probably keep my law office open and do about 10-15 hours a week, just for the heck of it.

I'd be happy with 5 million. Though I'm like missingsomething. I'm not sure I'd want to quit working but I'd sure be able to afford doing something I REALLY wanted to do no matter the pay.

$250,000 and up I'd totally quit.

I'd buy a nice little house for 75k, get a tune-up on my car, take some welding classes and homeschool my daughter for the next 4 years :D

I've worked almost the entirety of my little one's life, except 3 months after she was born. I figure I could enjoy these altogether too short years with her and go back to work when she's in college.

Guest Alana

No matter how much I won I wouldn't quit being a full time mom...

Heh, ok for real though, even though we don't play the lottery ever, hubby and I still talk about what we'd do with ridiculous amounts of cash. In order for us to quit a regular 40+ work week we'd need enough invested to have a guaranteed return of 40k annually from the interest.

The things I would like to do more of aren't done because of a lack of money but because a lack of time. Kids take a lot of effort! Though I wouldn't mind changing diapers and making sandwiches in a glorious house with a nice car parked outside.

Truthfully I worry about what my husband would do if he didn't need to work for money. As long as it's something productive. Although it would be nice to have hubby around because he wouldn't be needing to go to work at 4:30am, I would miss looking forward to him coming home everyday after his absence. Plus, as awesome as it would be to have a house cleaner/cook/masseuse, I think it's probably good for me to learn those skills because it's been a up hill battle but I think I'm the better for it.

Oh who am I kidding, give me the big house and live in help:P

When I received my retroactive disability, it was slightly less than $30,000. It was gone within the year. Most of it was necessary spending, but too much of it was not.

Also, I miss working terribly. If it were a job I liked, I'd never quit. I wouldn't work as hard as I did though, no matter how much my boss yelled at me.

I'd just ask him when he was going to be through with his tantrum.

I was thinking just the other day how $1 million is really nothing any more. Yes, I know it's still a lot of money, but not like it used to be--basically it's the price of a house in many areas, where it used to be enough to live on for many lifetimes.

It seems like $1 billion now has the status $1 mil used to have. So I say, $1 billion.

Do they even have $1 billion lotteries?

I retired 2 1/2 years ago at age 49 so it's kind of a moot point for me but I'd like to have another million in the bank. I figure my chances of winning the lottery are pretty much the same whether I buy a ticket or not so I just save that money for something else.