Separate Personages

dnc76v22

There are at least two men that have seen The Father and the Son as two separate personages.

But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

Acts 7: verses 55 and 56

It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

Joseph Smith history, verse 17

There are at least two men that have seen The Father and the Son as two separate personages.

Good point - to which I add another John 14:28

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

The Traveler

You missed Sidney Rigdon.

D&C 76:20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness

Also

Moses 7:59 And Enoch beheld the Son of Man ascend up unto the Father; and he called unto the Lord, saying: Wilt thou not come again upon the earth? Forasmuch as thou art God, and I know thee, and thou hast sworn unto me, and commanded me that I should ask in the name of thine Only Begotten; thou hast made me, and given unto me a right to thy throne, and not of myself, but through thine own grace; wherefore, I ask thee if thou wilt not come again on the earth.

You missed Sidney Rigdon.

D&C 76:20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness

Also

Moses 7:59 And Enoch beheld the Son of Man ascend up unto the Father; and he called unto the Lord, saying: Wilt thou not come again upon the earth? Forasmuch as thou art God, and I know thee, and thou hast sworn unto me, and commanded me that I should ask in the name of thine Only Begotten; thou hast made me, and given unto me a right to thy throne, and not of myself, but through thine own grace; wherefore, I ask thee if thou wilt not come again on the earth.

That's why I said "at least two men." I was sure there were others. Enoch being among them.

Does personages really mean anything different to persons? If the Holy Spirit is a person of God, then everybody that saw the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus has seen two persons of God.

Edited by AnthonyB

The word personage is used to denote an individual, with individual characteristics, and with at least some of the characteristics of a person. The Holy Ghost is a "personage of spirit", meaning an individual who has not yet obtained a physical body; this is one of our premortal brothers who has been ordained to that office.

I think that the word person, as used in our church as well as in modern usage generally, refers to an individual with a physical body. For example, if someone were to experience a vision or an experience with a spirit, they would not generally say that they saw "a person" ... maybe a ghost, maybe apparition, maybe entity, etc... but not a person.

In the church we say personage instead of those other, less respectful terms.

• 1 year later...

The word personage is used to denote an individual, with individual characteristics, and with at least some of the characteristics of a person. The Holy Ghost is a "personage of spirit", meaning an individual who has not yet obtained a physical body; this is one of our premortal brothers who has been ordained to that office.

I think that the word person, as used in our church as well as in modern usage generally, refers to an individual with a physical body. For example, if someone were to experience a vision or an experience with a spirit, they would not generally say that they saw "a person" ... maybe a ghost, maybe apparition, maybe entity, etc... but not a person.

In the church we say personage instead of those other, less respectful terms.

Can you explain word ''but is a personage of Spirit.'' in verse D&C 130:22 ?

This would be like the Holy Ghost. If seen he would probably look just like any other man. But he never had a body of flesh and blood like God or Christ. Therefore he is a personage meaning he looks like a person but only of Spirit.

Edited by pam