What Do All Of You Think About Stuff Like....

I like Harry Potter.

I like Halloween, though I avoid the unrighteous aspects of some of the culture.

I like Rock n Roll, though I've gotten more picky about what Rock N Roll I listen to. Lyrics matter. I don't go for the Sex and Drugs that's usually attached as the subject matter. Such things are part of other musical genres as well, to which I avoid.

Halloween, Harry Potter, Rock Music, all that kind of stuff. Some say it's evil, some think not.

I've got no problem with Halloween, some people do of course but that isn't a surprise people are different. I think the prevalence of trunk or treating and various other Halloween activities by members of the Church would imply to me that those with issues are not extremely prevalent.

Harry Potter, I don't know a single member who thinks Harry Potter is evil and anything else than a fantasy story of, depending who you ask, varying quality. Though I do know some who think the later ones are dark but that has nothing to do with the concept of the book. Now I'm sure there are members out there who think it is pure evil, I just haven't met them and personally I enjoy the books.

I like rock music, I know plenty of members who do. Not all of it is uplifting of course and I don't enjoy all of it, but that kinda goes without saying.

Of course I enjoy role playing games, amongst them the Satan Worshiping System known as D&D (yes, I killed my parents and ate their spleens, they're in the basement freezer), so I may not be representative. :D

I've got no problem with Halloween, some people do of course but that isn't a surprise people are different. I think the prevalence of trunk or treating and various other Halloween activities by members of the Church would imply to me that those with issues are not extremely prevalent.

Harry Potter, I don't know a single member who thinks Harry Potter is evil and anything else than a fantasy story of, depending who you ask, varying quality. Though I do know some who think the later ones are dark but that has nothing to do with the concept of the book. Now I'm sure there are members out there who think it is pure evil, I just haven't met them and personally I enjoy the books.

I like rock music, I know plenty of members who do. Not all of it is uplifting of course and I don't enjoy all of it, but that kinda goes without saying.

Of course I enjoy role playing games, amongst them the Satan Worshiping System known as D&D (yes, I killed my parents and ate their spleens, they're in the basement freezer), so I may not be representative. :D

Someone in my last ward avoided Harry Potter because of the "witchcraft".

I, too, am a RPG gamer. My favorite is Shadowrun 3rd Edition (they mucked up 4th edition *cries*) and Exalted 2nd Edition (current edition). D&D didn't really do it for me.

Someone in my last ward avoided Harry Potter because of the "witchcraft".

I, too, am a RPG gamer. My favorite is Shadowrun 3rd Edition (they mucked up 4th edition *cries*) and Exalted 2nd Edition (current edition). D&D didn't really do it for me.

It's my first system, so it's kinda like your High School Sweet Heart, there will always be something about it. That and I've not tried very many systems, actually, excluding a couple online games I've only played D&D 3rd, Earthdawn 2nd (I think), and Vampire a couple one run each and the runs were something like 2 sessions (though admittedly long ones).

It's my first system, so it's kinda like your High School Sweet Heart, there will always be something about it. That and I've not tried very many systems, actually, excluding a couple online games I've only played D&D 3rd, Earthdawn 2nd (I think), and Vampire a couple one run each and the runs were something like 2 sessions (though admittedly long ones).

I almost got to play Earthdawn. Made a character and everything but then the group fell apart before it started. Ditto with Vampire and Modern d20. >.<

My first RPGs were Bladerunner (one session, and just me and the GM), and GURPS which lasted only a couple of sessions. Then I got introduced to Shadowrun 3rd being run by someone who was competent at it, and it was awesome. Exalted is my next fav. I've played Mage, Jovian Chronicles, Megamech/Battletech, and I am forgetting one. . .

Halloween, Harry Potter, Rock Music, all that kind of stuff. Some say it's evil, some think not.

It is not so much what one encounters on their journey as what they do with it and who they choose to do it with.

The Traveler

There's a story of Brigham (I believe) confiscating "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" from his son because he felt it was evil/trash.

But then he stayed up all night, read it, and gave it back to his son in the morning.

I'm not sure that was Brigham but I could be wrong. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea was published in 1870. Brigham Young died 7 years later. Unless he was taking it away from an adult son...I am thinking it was not him.

What version?

I am DM for ver 3.5.

Interestingly they pick two D&D players for new moderators here!

What version?

I am DM for ver 3.5.

Interestingly they pick two D&D players for new moderators here!

I've played 3.0 and have the players handbook for it but with the 3.5 SRD online I suppose I have access to everything I need to play 3.5. Though I'd probably need some hand holding, I've only actually played 3.5 rules in PC games, and have never used the minis for combat more than once. :)

lolD&D

I kid :P

I think people are for the most part smart enough to know better than to try to cast spells or do other magically things. What is great about the genre is the 'what if' factor. Anything that helps the imagination soar is a good thing IMHO.

Line upon line, precept upon precept and principle upon principle, here a little and there a little. We are all at different levels. Surely Halloween and Harry Potter are ok and as for rock and "that kind of stuff" it's up to you. It's up to all of us and what we do and how we live to help us draw closer to the spirit and hopefully as we grow we can mature in the gospel.

I'm not sure that was Brigham but I could be wrong. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea was published in 1870. Brigham Young died 7 years later. Unless he was taking it away from an adult son...I am thinking it was not him.

Perhaps it was another prophet... or maybe I have the book wrong... Oh well, can't remember my source materials on this one...