Ask a Mormon

beefche

I wish to be honest with you, and must admit my intent. I was born a Mormon and baptized in the Mormon church. I have since left Mormonism, and am contemplating getting my name removed from its records. I do have a few questions though and I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. If I have questions to your answers posted, I should start a new thread about it, or ask them in this thread?

Thanks,

thews

Start a new thread.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why was Polygamy practiced in the first place?

not to try to "derail" the conversation but l am curious. l've heard some of these answers already and l'd like a little more detail.

As for caffeine, if you can drink it if you want, why are you told not to? normally when someone is told not to do something, it means there is something bad about it, which is why l ask, what is so bad about caffeine?

Polygamy: Latter-day Saints and the Practice of Plural Marriage - LDS Newsroom

In 1831, Church founder Joseph Smith made a prayerful inquiry about the ancient Old Testament practice of plural marriage. This resulted in the divine instruction to reinstitute the practice as a religious principle.

You might also find Doctrine and Covenants 132 and interesting read. There are of course dissenting opinions as to why exactly it was started out there, but the official position of the Church is the above.

As for caffeine, if you can drink it if you want, why are you told not to? normally when someone is told not to do something, it means there is something bad about it, which is why l ask, what is so bad about caffeine?

As far as I know it is not a requirement to abstain from caffeine, though various leaders of the church have expressed opinion that it is to be avoided. I have never been taught that by not avoiding caffeine I am sinning, not as a doctrine of the Church, as a missionary I had it pointed out to me that abstaining from caffeine was not a requirement to become baptized. Members can drink caffeine and be in good standing with the Church/the Lord.

In cases such as coffee and tea where it does effect our standing the only official reason is, "The Lord said so." Though of course hypotheses abound on the subject. Its like asking a Jew what's so bad about pork? Ultimately it comes back to, "The Lord said so." If you mean why did X person object to it (as opposed to the Lord objecting to it), you're best off asking them, or trying to deduce why from their writings. There is also some controversy amongst members on the subject of caffeine.

Edited by Dravin

Guest Utahrulzz
Hidden

Some members don't believe in drinkning caffeine and don't believe you should either. When I was on my mission my companion and I were drinking some Dr. Peppers and a member lady saw us. She called the Mission President to report us! So some members do feel very strongly about it.

The Church's official position is you can drink Mt Dew or whatever drink and still go to the Temple, but when I went to BYU or was in the MTC or other church owned institutions, soft drinks with caffeine aren't usually available.

As for Polygamy, follow the link above. It has some great insights!

not to try to "derail" the conversation but l am curious. l've heard some of these answers already and l'd like a little more detail.

Not to go over what has already been expressed might I add an additional reason for Polygamy.

It was necessary to fulfil all righteous that is the premises for all that God commands. But an interesting side effect of Polygamy was to first test the saints and second to flush out the chaff prior to the exodus to Salt Lake Valley. The Lord first commanded the introduction of Polygamy and almost at the same time revealed the Articles of Faith which included the statement that we uphold the laws of the land. Polygamy wasn't illegal when it was introduced but was when the practice was stopped by the church. It took almost bankrupting the church before the leaders realised and obeyed.

As for caffeine, if you can drink it if you want, why are you told not to? Normally when someone is told not to do something, it means there is something bad about it, which is why l ask, what is so bad about caffeine?

There is a difference between being commanded and being advised. Often the confusion comes when our leaders advices us over something.

There are many theories as to why the Lord chose His Saints to abstain from these things, in the end it’s simply down to obedience.

If you want a common element in the list of things we should not take into our bodies and you will find that they are all potentially fatal. Hot Drinks was the original command later clarified as tea and coffee. At the time of the revelation the only way to get the most flavour out of the tea and coffee was to drink it scolding hot. This practice resulted in some cases of cancer of the gullet.

Caffeine seems to be the one most people and members adopt as the reason because the potential it has to lead to fatal side effects, like high blood pressure.

If we want to obey the Lord continually then its easy to first follow His anointed. The Word of Wisdom was first given to the Saints as a directive and because the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak the Lord upgraded it to a commandment.

Until He says to abstain from caffeine then I'll take it under advisement.

Not to go over what has already been expressed might I add an additional reason for Polygamy.

It was necessary to fulfil all righteous that is the premises for all that God commands. But an interesting side effect of Polygamy was to first test the saints and second to flush out the chaff prior to the exodus to Salt Lake Valley. The Lord first commanded the introduction of Polygamy and almost at the same time revealed the Articles of Faith which included the statement that we uphold the laws of the land. Polygamy wasn't illegal when it was introduced but was when the practice was stopped by the church. It took almost bankrupting the church before the leaders realised and obeyed.

OK. Can you tell me what God sees as "love" regarding "marriage" in the LDS faith?

Hidden

Ok Jim, let’s get you some important facts it might just save your soul.

The law as it is laid down states that in order to get back in the presence of our heavily Father we must be perfect. Perfection is without blemish, without sin. Commit just one minor indiscretion and the way home is blocked.

This means that none of Fathers children could be save because it would be impossible for mortal man not to sin.

Jesus Christ lived that perfect life, without blemish, without sin. He fulfilled the demands of justice, overcame death, was reunited with his dead body and glorified.

Now because of Him and the atonement He says now do the best you can always striving to be perfect. If you fall and sincerely repent you can have hope in Him. All worthy followers of Christ He will advocate for.

Those who truly follow Christ will want to get to know him and obey his commandments. They will seek out His church, they will strive for as high as they can go.

Throughout history God has had a covenant people and still has. Sometimes because of apostasy He will raise other people and graft them into the Abrahamic covenant. One common element of God covenant people is that they build temples. These are buildings that represent His house on heaven.

Because they are so sacred those that enter must be living a basic law acceptable to God. Striving to be perfect is a minimum requirement. We can never achieve perfection because we have sinned but we can strive to be as close to perfection as it is possible. If all that we can do is acceptable to God then mercy comes into play. Then he will make up the difference.

Hope this helps

If all that we can do is acceptable to God then mercy comes into play.

No, Jesus did it all. You are not saved because of what you do. You are saved in spite of it. We are saved by Grace alone. Not of our own doing. Anytime you add to the gift of grace, aka works, you detract from Jesus. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Hi.

I'm Old Shatterhand (my nick comes from a figure in a novel, written by Karl May), a former member of the church with two questions to a member of the church:

• Is they are any archaeological evidences from outside the church which support the Book of Mormon?
  • What is your PERSONAL meaning about queer people outside and inside the Church?
Edited by OldShatterhand
Hidden

Hi.

I'm Old Shatterhand (my nick comes from a figure in a novel, written by Karl May), a former member of the church with two questions to a member of the church:

• Is they are any archaeological evidences from outside the church which support the Book of Mormon?
  • What is your PERSONAL meaning about queer people outside and inside the Church?

We don't discriminate just because someone is stranger than most :P

Hidden

That is information that you could find just as easily as any of us.

So, and why did the LDS Church fight against Gay Marriage in California (Proposition 8)?

And what is with my first question?

Try searching this forum. This topic has been discussed, debated, and harangued, ad nauseum.

• 3 months later...
Hidden

I was in Sunday school today and the instructor posed a question that I had never considered before. When I got home I tried to find the answer online without any progress. I was hoping someone might have some insight (and of course scripture and/or a quote or talk from a general authority to provide me with more to ponder and study). Here it goes:

Abram's name was changed to Abraham... why? I understand that his name wasn't changed until after he traveled into Egypt and that after his name was changed he was given many blessings, buy why change it at all? I mean why not just give Abram the blessings instead of changing his name to Abraham and then giving him blessings... what is the significance of the Lord changing his name?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't Mormons have some kind of mark, like horns or a special tattoo?

No. Mormons don't require any kind of special markings. We don't wear special clothing and are allowed to wear make up.

I heard a good reply to questions about Mormons having horns. You say that Mormons have horns, but that yours are smaller than the average. You invite the person to feel the top of the back of your head. Then you ask, "Can you feel them?" They feel around on your head and then admit they don't. Then you ask, "Do you feel a little foolish?"

I laughed when I heard that one.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I've asked this question before and received mostly angry replies, and I'm seriously just seeking an answer. If the Book of Mormon is truly a historical record, why are there no artifacts where the great battles are said to have taken place?

I understand that almost all of the archaeological discoveries in South/Central America are from time periods after 420 AD, after the events of the Book of Mormon. Vegetation tends to grow quickly in that area, which hides archaelogical evidence. Also, I've heard that the site of the Custer's Last Stand doesn't yield any evidence of that battle from 1876, so we really can't expect to find much evidence from 1400 years earlier in a lusher climate.

Edited by seekerw
  • 2 weeks later...