I'm Visiting Salt Lake City, What Should I See?

mhansen

If basketball is your thing, I hear they have a team that plays in the Energy Solutions Arena during the winter months. For decent football you'll have to travel 40 miles south to Provo. There is a team in Salt Lake City, but they're not expected to be any good this year.

I would recommend going to the Gateway shopping center. If you have a car, I would drive up to Park City and spend a day there. Take the Temple Square Tour as well as the Conference Center tour. Both are worth it. You can also take the Beehive House, but I really wish it were more a historic tour, rather than a missionary tour. I like to walk the grounds of the University of Utah, and I have to stop for lunch at the Pie Pizzeria. You might want to stop by the Cathedral of the Madeline too. Oh, and last time we visited, we did a tour of the State Capital. It was awesome.

One of my favorite is the Church History Museum.................if your into geneology then the Family History Library is a must.

I am also a bit partial to This Is The Place Heritage Park - - -http://www.thisistheplace.org/

While at Temple Square I also recommend seeing the film "Joseph Smith The Prophet of the Restoration" at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.

If you have kids the Hogue Zoo and Tracy Avery were good. There's a park next to the Avery, and it has a few rides. Nothing fancy, but a nice one-hour diversion. Temple Square has a secular attraction to it in that it's an interesting place to people watch. See if you can note the members from non-members, the non-religious from the religious. Then of course, you can view the Square as the Church's presentation of itself to the non-member world. After all, as much as the faithful may enjoy looking around, the main purpose of those missionaries is to sift out potential converts/investigators. And, as heavy as the missionary and religious volunteer presence is, there was very little pressure to agree with particular doctrinal statements, sign up to see missionaries, etc. The closest I got to that line of conversation was win a missionary winked and said, "If you really want to see inside the Temple we can begin a process to make that happen." :-)

Yes, I got that but I'm asking if they are as tasty as the Pie at the U of U?

As long as you stick with Pizza and stay away from that Chef Boyardee ravioli at all locations.

Might want to take in the movie at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and have dinner at the Roof Restaurant on the top floor afterwards.

Check out the Gilgal Gardens and see the Joseph Smith Sphinx. Spend a day at Lagoon if you are bringing kids.