Question for non LDS Christians.

Lstinthwrld

OK, help me out here...because this is culture shock for me. Divination, soothsaying, fortune telling, tarot cards, ouija boards--I grew up learning that these were extremely bad and serious sins. To play with these was to invite the demonic. And I speak as one who regularly sees prophetic words, prayers for the sick, those who have dreams and visions. But, we never use objects with alleged spiritual powers. I suppose the closest we would come is to use anointing oil when praying for the sick. But that is directly perscribed by Scripture.

Yes there are true and false priests. But any efforts at fortune telling and divinitation are universally condemned in the Scriptures I know.

BTW, while religioustolerance.org can be a good source of information, it is not specifically religious in outlook, and it does criticize religious groups that oppose homosexual behavior...so not sure it's the best source for this topic. See the following for its worldview: Statement of beliefs of the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance (OCRT)

Universally? are you sure about that? I see condemnation of these practices when done by those who did not hold authority, but not universally.

Edited by bytebear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Universally? are you sure about that? I see condemnation of these practices when done by those who did not hold authority, but not universally.

When God, or his messenger tell someone to do something it's not divinitation, soothsaying, or fortune telling. It's not magic, idolatry or witchcraft. God did sometimes authorize his prophets to use object lessons. "Look upon the copper snake statue and you'll survive the snake bite." That's not sin, that's doing what God said.

When God, or his messenger tell someone to do something it's not divinitation, soothsaying, or fortune telling. It's not magic, idolatry or witchcraft. God did sometimes authorize his prophets to use object lessons. "Look upon the copper snake statue and you'll survive the snake bite." That's not sin, that's doing what God said.

No, but physical artifacts have been used in prophecy, from Priestly robes, to the U&T, to the Ark of the Covenant. Even the 10 commandments were given through physical tablets.

I agree that the authority was from God, but the purpose was not just obedience. The purposes can be varied, but they are God's purpose.

But again, where miracles happened, God received all the glory and there was no question where the power originated. When Moses struck the rock, God was not happy and repercussions followed.

Edited by RiversideGuy

Yes, and that just shows that a prophet can make mistakes.

True, but biblically when a prophet made a mistake of judgment (either not seeking God's input or adding to what God said to do) that prophet and those around him suffered to one degree or another.

People don't get into spiritual trouble doing God's work, as long as they ask for God's direction and follow the directions provided. Today, we have biblical examples to study, examine and follow. We get into trouble when we ignore them and fail to follow good examples.

• 4 months later...

There are several reasons I can think of off the top of my head for why this may be. I believe it is partly because of the manner in which it is done. Some people are intentionally rude and insulting when asking LDS members questions. A person verbally harassed long enough tends to become very defensive and starts to view everyone as attacking them. A dog mistreated long enough will snap at anyone who comes near regardless of their possible good intentions. I don't feel that is acceptable behavior but understandable none the less.

Members of the LDS faith are also urged not to read anti mormon material and so questions about unknown subjects may be taken as anti mormon, lies or false when a person meant nothing by it. There are many accusations against the LDS Church and I would expect very few members of the LDS faith to have put the time in to research these questions and have a response.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour, chacun se doit de défendre sa religion, au mieux. Dans mon pays, on dit beaucoup de mauvaises choses sur les saints des derniers jours. Il existe des associations des sites Web qui vont dire que cette chapelle est sectaire, mais elle est fausse, j'ai reçu un signe et j'ai décidé d'écouter mon cœur et non à écouter davantage les personnes qui ne sont jamais allés à la chapelle . Il est nécessaire d'aller à la chapelle de savoir comment vous êtes.

Je suis sûre que vous êtes maintenant l'unique église Qui Rassemble toute la vérité. J'ai été un moment Dans l'Apostasie Dans ce cercle et là j'suis remontée. (autres croyances) ;)

Edited by personne
oubli

Bonjour, chacun se doit de défendre sa religion, au mieux. Dans mon pays, on dit beaucoup de mauvaises choses sur les saints des derniers jours. Il existe des associations des sites Web qui vont dire que cette chapelle est sectaire, mais elle est fausse, j'ai reçu un signe et j'ai décidé d'écouter mon cœur et non à écouter davantage les personnes qui ne sont jamais allés à la chapelle . Il est nécessaire d'aller à la chapelle de savoir comment vous êtes.

Je suis sûre que vous êtes maintenant l'unique église Qui Rassemble toute la vérité. J'ai été un moment Dans l'Apostasie Dans ce cercle et là j'suis remontée. (autres croyances) ;)

ça va bien!

• 1 month later...

Why do you think LDS people in general are so quick to get defensive when questions on their faith/doctrine are presented.

(be nice with your replies please)

The answer is obvious, they get alot of abuse form Catholics, protestants and even athiest. Mormons are attacked by a wide variety of believers and non believers. Most mormons I know are quick to assume there is a hidden agenda in your questions put forward to them.

I think the past polygamy really didn't help things for you guys at all. :D

Why do you think LDS people in general are so quick to get defensive when questions on their faith/doctrine are presented.

(be nice with your replies please)

because there are so many who are quick to get offensive about it, doesn't really matter on the sect.. I think most people from all sects experience that.