Katrina

Traveler

There are three basic promises G-d makes to the righteous that covenant with him.

1. A promised land to inherit. (heaven)

2. Protection from enemies and destruction. (redemption from sin)

3. Enduring posterity. (eternal life and family)

As I listed the promises issued in scripture I have included both the temporal and the spiritual or eternal rewards of covenant. In scripture we see these elements emphasized especially with Abraham, which is the prototype (type and shadow) of all covenants. Counter to the covenant is what is called the wicked or anti-covenant – The result is the anti-thesis of the first three:

1. Driven from land of inheritance. (hell)

2. At the mercy of enemies and destruction. (No assistance in time of need – thus one is weakened in confrontations with enemies and decimated when destruction hits)

3. Cut off from posterity. (divorcement and loss or void of family and posterity)

It is my belief that scriptures are a hand book of covenant explanations and examples. Though some view scriptures as literal and historical I believe they are symbolic of covenants – both those that keep and honor covenants and those that reject and break covenants.

Now concerning the righteous. The covenant promise is not that there will never be obstacles regarding that attainment of covenant blessings but that G-d will stand by and assist the righteous in their trials. In other words the rain falls on both the righteous and the wicked (as well as the sun shins on the righteous and the wicked). The difference is that G-d stands by, is mindful and helps the righteous – the wicked deal with it on their own.

It is interesting to me that in time of disaster some will complain that they were abandoned while other will say that G-d assisted them in their ordeal. This is the very difference between the righteous and the wicked. We are told in this regard that “The righteous need not fear” and “Have faith and be believing and all things will turn for your good.”

I do not post so we can point at others but in tragedy we may know ourselves.

The Traveler

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 1 2005, 03:18 PM

There are three basic promises G-d makes to the righteous that covenant with him.

1. A promised land to inherit.  (heaven)

2. Protection from enemies and destruction.  (redemption from sin)

3. Enduring posterity.  (eternal life and family)

As I listed the promises issued in scripture I have included both the temporal and the spiritual or eternal rewards of covenant.  In scripture we see these elements emphasized especially with Abraham, which is the prototype (type and shadow) of all covenants.  Counter to the covenant is what is called the wicked or anti-covenant – The result is the anti-thesis of the first three:

1. Driven from land of inheritance.  (hell)

2. At the mercy of enemies and destruction. (No assistance in time of need – thus one is weakened in confrontations with enemies and decimated when destruction hits)

3. Cut off from posterity. (divorcement and loss or void of family and posterity)

It is my belief that scriptures are a hand book of covenant explanations and examples.  Though some view scriptures as literal and historical I believe they are symbolic of covenants – both those that keep and honor covenants and those that reject and break covenants.

Now concerning the righteous.  The covenant promise is not that there will never be obstacles regarding that attainment of covenant blessings but that G-d will stand by and assist the righteous in their trials.  In other words the rain falls on both the righteous and the wicked (as well as the sun shins on the righteous and the wicked).  The difference is that G-d stands by, is mindful and helps the righteous – the wicked deal with it on their own.

It is interesting to me that in time of disaster some will complain that they were abandoned while other will say that G-d assisted them in their ordeal.  This is the very difference between the righteous and the wicked.  We are told in this regard that “The righteous need not fear” and “Have faith and be believing and all things will turn for your good.” 

The Traveler

man, if I lived in Vegas, I would be checking my emergency supplies and watching the horizon......

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by mountainrider+Sep 1 2005, 10:55 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Traveler@Sep 1 2005, 03:18 PM

1. A promised land to inherit.  (heaven)

2. Protection from enemies and destruction.  (redemption from sin)

3. Enduring posterity.  (eternal life and family)

As I listed the promises issued in scripture I have included both the temporal and the spiritual or eternal rewards of covenant.  In scripture we see these elements emphasized especially with Abraham, which is the prototype (type and shadow) of all covenants.  Counter to the covenant is what is called the wicked or anti-covenant – The result is the anti-thesis of the first three:

1. Driven from land of inheritance.  (hell)

It is my belief that scriptures are a hand book of covenant explanations and examples.  Though some view scriptures as literal and historical I believe they are symbolic of covenants – both those that keep and honor covenants and those that reject and break covenants.

Now concerning the righteous.  The covenant promise is not that there will never be obstacles regarding that attainment of covenant blessings but that G-d will stand by and assist the righteous in their trials.  In other words the rain falls on both the righteous and the wicked (as well as the sun shins on the righteous and the wicked).  The difference is that G-d stands by, is mindful and helps the righteous – the wicked deal with it on their own.

It is interesting to me that in time of disaster some will complain that they were abandoned while other will say that G-d assisted them in their ordeal.  This is the very difference between the righteous and the wicked.  We are told in this regard that “The righteous need not fear” and “Have faith and be believing and all things will turn for your good.” 

The Traveler

man, if I lived in Vegas, I would be checking my emergency supplies and watching the horizon......

I have noticed that both the tasunomy area and New Orleans were where much wicked practices were running rampant in the area among the people.

I think LVagas does have something to worry about, of course they have been flooded several times in the past. Maybe it will take more.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Sep 2 2005, 11:19 AM

These people are Human...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/

Yes they are human or we would only be worrying about them on a physical level.

Save the Whales doesn't mean ~ give them eternal salvation.

Humans are the ones who need to know God is in charge. People/humans

need to live right or suffer the consequences. Innocent people suffer because of the guilty all the time. It will be part of their judgment when all is said and done.

We cannot look upon someones needs and say ~ you are not worthy of help. Everyone is worthy of help, just by their existence. That isn't what this discussion was all about.

It was about "topic" wise, the wicked being the target of a just God.

And yes, Utah indeed needs to be warned.

I am not sure that some caught on to my post. The post suggesting the Las Vegas should worry is a good example of someone that does not understand.

There is a link between natural events and wickedness but that does not mean that only the wicked suffer. When nature challenges it comes to both righteous and wicked. The only difference is the righteous need not fear - G-d will stand with them in their dark hours. See the song "Come Come Ye Saints".

The wicked have no such spiritual assurance. Therefore to the righteous all things turn for their good - they become stronger and more full of faith and rejoice in the journey. Remember the Willie and Martin hand cart companies - it it through hardships the righteous become familiar with G-d.

The Traveler

It’s a little too late for some people, but for those who are still able and haven’t done it yet I recommend that we all prepare for emergencies as our prophets have told us. And that means that we should all have at least a 72-hour emergency kit, if not a whole year supply of necessary food, clothing, make-shift shelter supplies, and any medical supplies a person needs, as well as some way to protect all of that stuff and transport it if necessary.

And to be totally honest, watching most of the news about this event has been rather frustrating, with too many people complaining about how other people haven’t been providing for their needs, or about how other people should be supplying the needs of those people, and not enough information about what those people can or should do to help themselves. And while I am totally in favor of helping people who have needs, we should also be teaching the people we help to provide for themselves, or at least show some sincere gratitude when people go out of their way to offer assistance.

Far too many people expect other people to take care of them!

And to help you know what I’m talking about, I saw several people complain about how they don’t have their prescription medicines or medical supplies, which a person would normally have in a First-Aid kit. And I also saw several people complain about how they haven't had food or water in days. I mean, really, it’s only been 5 days, so why didn’t they have that stuff before they needed it?

And all this in a country that prides itself on shopping!?!

I thought there would be comments like these here, so I checked and lo and behold, I WAS RIGHT!

It is a pity that so-called Christian people would have anything except sympathy for most (I'm leaving out the people who shoot, rape, and steal anything besides the bare necessities) of the people who are victims of this horrible storm.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves (not SF).

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by shanstress70@Sep 2 2005, 06:03 PM

I thought there would be comments like these here, so I checked and lo and behold, I WAS RIGHT!

It is a pity that so-called Christian people would have anything except sympathy for most (I'm leaving out the people who shoot, rape, and steal anything besides the bare necessities) of the people who are victims of this horrible storm.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves (not SF).

Would you please be more specific. I know we are supposed to be mind readers, but my reader is broken and it would be nice if you christians would spell out slowly and clearly just what it is that you are so ashamed of...

Originally posted by Ray@Sep 2 2005, 05:02 PM

Far too many people expect other people to take care of them!

And to help you know what I’m talking about, I saw several people complain about how they don’t have their prescription medicines or medical supplies, which a person would normally have in a First-Aid kit.  And I also saw several people complain about how they haven't had food or water in days.  I mean, really, it’s only been 5 days, so why didn’t they have that stuff before they needed it? 

:wow: You are kidding right?

Providing for their needs???? All these people had when they made it to a shelter was the things they were wearing on their backs. If this happened to us even with all of our preparation we would be dependant of others to help us. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a family starving and being dehydrated while being among others who have died. Maybe you would like to live just 5 days under these same circumstances.

Most likely there are thousands who have died here... where is the compassion?

If I remember right there was more support given for the victums of the tsunami

Originally posted by Please+Sep 2 2005, 02:27 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Strawberry Fields@Sep 2 2005, 11:19 AM

What does that mean?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 2 2005, 07:53 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 2 2005, 02:27 PM

What does that mean?

You don't know? Are we preaching the gospel to them?

Originally posted by Please+Sep 2 2005, 10:28 PM-->

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Sep 2 2005, 07:53 PM

What does that mean?

Right now these people need to be saved physically.

I can appreciate what some are saying here about when times get tough either finding it as the will of our Father in Heaven or being deserted by Him. Finding bad things that happen to us as the Will of God takes lots of practice.

I have to really wonder if God is punishing the wicked with Natural Disasters. There are plenty of righteous people who have also lost everything they had due to this occurrence.

OK, here goes... and how do you know I'm a professsed Christian? If Christians think this way, I don't want to be called one.

My God does not punish people with natural disasters. God is our loving father in heaven. Even if my child was being monstrous, even if he killed someone, do you think I would punish him with death and suffering? No, because loving parents don't treat their children that way. If they did, in my opinion, they would not deserve the love of their children. The God I believe in would not approve of what you people are writing. You are judging people so harshly. Let those without sin cast the first stone.

Disasters happen everywhere. They are totally random, based on where you are geographically. To say that it happened in N.O. because evil is prevalent there is absolutely ridiculous! There are many wonderful people there. There are good and bad people everywhere... yes, even in Vegas.

I do think it was dumb for people to stay in N.O. (or elsewhere that was evacuated) if they could get out. However, many of these people worked for minimum wage, if that, and don't even have a car. Where were they going to go? A lot of them only had the Super Dome to go to, and I'll tell you that after hearing what went on there, I'd probably rather be at my home fending for myself if I was in that situation.

Even those who did make the stupid decision to stay do not deserve to die and suffer the way they are.

As far as being prepared, even if these people were Mormon, and had a year's supply of food storage, it would have been ruined, as they had water up to their rooftops. How are you going to bring huge drums of water up on top of the roof with you?

I love my country, and believe it or not, I'm not even a liberal, but I am totally embarrassed about the way that my country has NOT taken care of those in need. There are still people stuck in the most hellish places with no food or water -some of them babies and the elderly- after 5 days! People are dropping dead now. This should not happen in America. We have the means to do better.

Yes, this is a sensitive issue with me right here. I shouldn't have even visited this board at this time. I knew better.

There are a lot of good things being said here. No one is completely wrong in what they are saying.

This is simply a trial, granted a super huge trial for America, as was 9-11 and many other disasters.

This test sure woke me up and made me realize that I have no supplies ready for this as the Prophets have repeatedly told me to have ready. I've only been on my own for about a year now but I know that I need to get up and start getting ready for anything like this that may accure where I live. I currently go to a singles branch that is half way accross town from me and I know there is a closer ward building and members that I should prolly look up incase something like this happens. In my parents ward they had a disaster tests where everyone was told to go to certain members homes or the church building, depending on where you live, with their emergency kits. Simply to make sure everyone knew what to do and what to have ready to bring along.

Anyways, I'm simply saying that a drill like this could help out a lot and while they seem dumb at the time people really do need to be prepared and have things planned so that they can evacuate at a moments notice with supplies to last them for a little while at least.

However, we should be willing to jump in and help out wherever possible. There are some people simply incapable to take care of themselves in the same way and yes there are those that are simply unprepared, but if we are able we should help. Yes it would be nice if they were more grateful but they just lost everything they ever had. How good of a mood would you be in after loosing everything in that way? They appreciate it more than anyone could know, its just hard for them to express it right now with how scared they all are not having any idea what will happen.

How did the little boy, who thought to bring along a basket if fish and bread to listen to Jesus, react when Jesus asked if anyone had food? He didn't try to hide it thinking, I was prepared why can't anyone else be prepared. No, instead he willingly gave it to Jesus thinking, I have some food maybe this can help.

Just think about all that has been said here by everyone. Don't get mad b/c of what some people said. Everyone has a good reason for saying what they did and none of it was really completely wrong.

I have noticed that both the tasunomy area and New Orleans were where much wicked practices were running rampant in the area among the people.

I think LVagas does have something to worry about, of course they have been flooded several times in the past. Maybe it will take more.

Not to sound ignorant, but where, exactly, is Tasunomy? I'm sure it must be a prominent area, but I must have missed what happened there. Was I asleep that month? If you could point me to a map with Tasunomy on it I would appreciate it.

I also think it's fun to point fingers at those who have been through bad things and make wild comments about how those people must be wicked because these things happened to them. Maybe you could ask SF if what happened to her son was a result of his wickedness? That would be a fun discussion. Or, maybe we could talk about how some things happen as a result of poor planning, and discuss solutions that would help relieve those problems in the future. Something like, oh I don't know, maybe how New Orleans wouldn't be flooded right now if its elevation wasn't below sea level, a sea level which is literally next door?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 2 2005, 10:52 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 2 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Sep 2 2005, 07:53 PM

What does that mean?

Right now these people need to be saved physically.

I can appreciate what some are saying here about when times get tough either finding it as the will of our Father in Heaven or being deserted by Him. Finding bad things that happen to us as the Will of God takes lots of practice.

I have to really wonder if God is punishing the wicked with Natural Disasters. There are plenty of righteous people who have also lost everything they had due to this occurrence.

Being chastised by God is far from being abandoned by him. Don't you know your scriptures?

D&C 95: 1

1 VERILY, thus saith the Lord unto you whom I love, and whom I love I also chasten that their sins may be forgiven, for with the chastisement I prepare a way for their deliverance in all things out of temptation, and I have loved you—

D&C 101: 4

4 Therefore, they must needs be achastened• and tried, even as bAbraham•, who was commanded to offer up his only son.

D&C 103: 4

4 And that those who call themselves after my name might be chastened for a little season with a sore and grievous chastisement, because they did not hearken altogether unto the precepts and commandments which I gave unto them.

D&C 105: 6

6 And my people must needs be chastened until they learn obedience, if it must needs be, by the things which they suffer.

EVEN CHRIST LEARNED THIS WAY:

Heb. 5: 8

8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he bobedience by the things which he suffered;

ONE MORE:

D&C 122: 8

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john doe@Sep 3 2005, 08:05 AM

Not to sound ignorant, but where, exactly, is Tasunomy? I'm sure it must be a prominent area, but I must have missed what happened there. Was I asleep that month? If you could point me to a map with Tasunomy on it I would appreciate it.

I also think it's fun to point fingers at those who have been through bad things and make wild comments about how those people must be wicked because these things happened to them. Maybe you could ask SF if what happened to her son was a result of his wickedness? That would be a fun discussion. Or, maybe we could talk about how some things happen as a result of poor planning, and discuss solutions that would help relieve those problems in the future. Something like, oh I don't know, maybe how New Orleans wouldn't be flooded right now if its elevation wasn't below sea level, a sea level which is literally next door?

Funny. you are wicked, I am wicked. We all take turns having sore trials. Are they working?

Peace

Being chastised by God is far from being abandoned by him.

You call it being chastised by God when trials come your way. I would imagine that there are those who feel abandoned by God as Traveler mentioned in the start of this thread.

Originally posted by Please+Sep 3 2005, 10:46 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-john doe@Sep 3 2005, 08:05 AM

Funny. you are wicked, I am wicked. We all take turns having sore trials. Are they working?

Peace if you think that my son was injured because he was wicked then you are nuttier then a fruitcake.

Guest Member_Deleted

Strawberry Fields,Sep 3 2005, 12:09 PMPeace

You call it being chastised by God when trials come your way. I would imagine that there are those who feel abandoned by God as Traveler mentioned in the start of this thread.

But it is how you perceive it that tells where you are spiritually.

How do we hold onto the best and most joyful things of this world? Can we hold on to them? Are they tangible? Think about the most marvelous experiences and the people in our lives we were with during those experiences. Can we hold on to those in this world; come what may? Are we the ones making all the decisions and bringing about all the turns of events?

What could we say? What would we say if we were told that God is the author of our lives and has a plan, a general plan which holds within it conception several options and outcomes depending upon how we choose and how His plan must be fulfilled? Most of us forget His part of the plan when they are suffering.

Do we have power to change His plan? Were we there before our earthly existence deciding with Him, what our lives would be like and what we wanted to gain from this experience? Yes. We were.

Is it predestination? Only the ultimate gain is predestined, not the path by which we gain it. The path is our choice. It can either be the hard way, or the right way.

Will we understand, while here, how God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform? Will it always make sense? Will it always be a mystery? Sometimes.

If given a chance to look down the isles of time, through several generations, it is possible to see a pattern, the Master’s handy work in and through the many lives which, without extended vision or the Holy Ghost, is otherwise visible. Close involvement in any given moment obscures the purpose, causing us to miss the point or over view which would make that defining moment so comprehensible no one would ever think to ask why me?, why this?, why that?

However, the ability to look down this isle of history is not employable by most individuals, specially during a particularly difficult moment or trial in their life. Asking why is. This is not to diminish in anyway the real pain and suffering experienced at these times. It is only to allow us to know the answer is there, even if we don’t see it, or understand it. And the answer always makes the best of sense, and is always in our best interest… eternally.

There is a scripture which teaches: All things work for the good of those who love the Lord. All things. Not just the good things or the pleasant things. All things, good, bad, hard, fun, painful, embarrassing and seemingly destructive. All things work for our good, IF we love the Lord.

How many of us love the Lord? How many of us even know how to love the Lord? How many know that loving the Lord is trusting in Him, not questioning Him, submitting to Him as a child submits to their earthly father? How many know how to and do praise the Lord with their whole heart, might, mind and soul when things are tough or painful?

There is another scripture which teaches that God’s ways are not man’s ways and man’s ways are not God’s ways. This should help us understand that we aren’t necessarily seeing things which happen in this life, in their true perspective. However, we are not left without aid.

Life came with instructions. It always has, but most of us, like with our new refrigerator or mixer, put the instructions on a shelf, or in a drawer, and think we can operate our acquisition without reading or following the instruction booklet. Some even claim the instruction booklet was written by fools who made it all up and haven’t really written anything of truth or value.

There was a dream had by a man whose character will be further explored one day, but for now I just want to examine a part of his dream which demonstrates a principle.

During the dream the man saw a figure dressed all in white, and with his natural eyes, he thought he was looking at one of his a co-workers. But when he looked again, this time with his spiritual eyes, or with the power of the Holy Ghost, he realized that it was not a co-worker at all, but the Savior he was looking at. What an amazing difference in perception, all because of the power of the Holy Ghost.

Now in this light, put everything and everyone’s experiences and perceptions. It explains perfectly why some see a glass half full and others see a glass half empty. It explains why some are totally destroyed by hard experiences and others are strengthened. It explains why some recognize the scriptures to be of God and others only see the imperfect works of men.

Interesting isn’t it?

:thinking.idea: EXACTLY! It just takes trials and practice to get to that point.

Guest Member_Deleted

:thinking.idea: EXACTLY! It just takes trials and practice to get to that point.

Exactly. :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 3 2005, 12:12 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 3 2005, 10:46 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-john doe@Sep 3 2005, 08:05 AM

Peace if you think that my son was injured because he was wicked then you are nuttier then a fruitcake.

Your son being injured could be for your spiritual benefit.