My friend...

Guest Utahrulzz

I think my friend Thomas may be gay. Should I tell his Bishop?

My advice is no, I wouldn't tell his Bishop. If Thomas has a problem, it's his place to talk to his Bishop. :)

Gay people are not disallowed to attend Church. Practicing the gay lifestyle is the problem with gay Church members/Church.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gwen, I appreciate your response. The way I've heard it, the church won't be allowed to discriminate. If gay marriage is legal nationwide and the church doesn't allow otherwise worthy couples to marry, it could open a dangerous can of worms. That's why it's so imortant we all do our part! Right On Gwen!

If this becomes a problem in the Church, we may have to abandon our 501©(3) tax-exempt status.

Yes that would be a huge problem. And also we would have to go back to polygamy and I don't think the brethren want that because we are not righteous enough to live that law like in the early years of the church.

Actually, I believe that is part of the gay agenda. ;)

Another question...what about Muslim converts who already practice polygamy?

I agree. It can never be said the law of the land cannot dictate how the temples operate, it already does in many respects. It is part of church rules that no person without a temple recommend can enter the temple. Well, this happens all the time because it's part of the law - do you really think most governments will allow the church to operate a public building in which no government officials can enter? It just happens at a time when no patrons are around to see them. It doesn't take much for government to change the law and the only way the church could stop same sex sealings happening is to close the temples in the area in which that law affects.

The temple will allow government officials who hold temple reccommends to enter the temple.

Josh...I think you make a valid point. Sometimes in church culture we do spend more time worried about what others are doing and how they are doing it. There is a fine line between serving others and overstepping our bounds. Membership in the church doesn't mean people become perfect and we all have to deal with each others weaknesses as we try to serve together. There are so many ways people can misstep as Satan is always trying to blind us using our weaknesses, good intensions, and even strengths against us. And not even the best amongst us are immune.

"Being our brother's keeper" taken to an extreme is called codependency.

Actually, I believe that is part of the gay agenda. ;)

Another question...what about Muslim converts who already practice polygamy?

Well I would think Muslim converts should be able to continue to practice polygamy just as the Manifesto says. It was only stopped because as a church we had no choice. But we still have section 132 of the D&C which sanctions polygamy. I don't think that has ever been taken out of our scriptures.

And if they allow marriage between two men or two women, then the next step in the slippery slope is a man and 2 women or something else. So polygamy will come back. Maybe that is the Lord's plan. His ways are not our ways.

Well I would think Muslim converts should be able to continue to practice polygamy just as the Manifesto says. It was only stopped because as a church we had no choice. But we still have section 132 of the D&C which sanctions polygamy. I don't think that has ever been taken out of our scriptures.

And if they allow marriage between two men or two women, then the next step in the slippery slope is a man and 2 women or something else. So polygamy will come back. Maybe that is the Lord's plan. His ways are not our ways.

All I can say is, if my hubby comes home with another wife...it's the highway for him! LOL

I told him the day we were sealed in the temple... I don't do polygamy!

But if the prophet commands it, you will get on board right?

It is my understanding that it's #1 wife's decision. This one says no.

BTW, polygamy was practiced only by the righteous of the Church...and I ain't that good. lol

Would you give your approval if your wife wanted an extra husband? ;)

Edited by GrandmaAri

Yes, I understand that the church has a very effective program for overcoming this sin. Best of luck to Thomas. He will be in my prayers.

Just curious...but is Thomas your brother in law you speak of and that Utahrulzz speaks of. Just seems quite a coincidence both of you joining so close together and bringing up the same kind of subject so close together.

Do you remember how many struggled with "getting on board" the first time around? I believe Heber C. threw a cup!

BTW....it would be God that would command it and I would be looking inside for His voice to help me accept and obey if that were indeed his will.

I don't believe however, that this is something that will be happening in the future. Gordon B has said that it is in the past and we must move on. So, as far as following the prophet goes, I think I am going to side with that!

Incidentally, isn't government intrusion into the Church a violation of separation of church and state?

Revocation of the Church's tax-exempt status would be a problem, and I think it would be grossly unfair.

But, no; I don't think we're straying onto breach-of-first-amendment territory. At its good pleasure, government provides tax exemptions to a variety of individuals and organizations for behaviors and activities that government deems socially desirable. It is certainly within government's right to revoke those exemptions for individuals and organizations that are fostering "bad behavior", as defined by the will of the people through their duly elected representatives.

I would. It might be harder if it were polyandry, but I wouldn't have a problem with polygyny-polygamy. I think a man is suited to take care of, and love, more than one woman at a time. I'm sure I could do it. In all, I've had three wives. And if there were all still alive and with me, I'd be very happy.

All I can say is, if my hubby comes home with another wife...it's the highway for him! LOL

I told him the day we were sealed in the temple... I don't do polygamy!

That sounds harsh. In fact, with due respect, that might be considered a violation of the covenants made in the temple. I don't believe God ever intended for their to be either divorce or marital "separation". Sometimes some of us just have a heavier cross to bear than others. Of course, having said that, I know that there are conditions (in the hereafter) set up to take care of problems or objections, so that in the end, whether a man is married to one woman or a hundred, and a woman is married to one man or a hundred, it balances out in the end. (I hope.)

That sounds harsh. In fact, with due respect, that might be considered a violation of the covenants made in the temple. I don't believe God ever intended for their to be either divorce or marital "separation". Sometimes some of us just have a heavier cross to bear than others. Of course, having said that, I know that there are conditions (in the hereafter) set up to take care of problems or objections, so that in the end, whether a man is married to one woman or a hundred, and a woman is married to one man or a hundred, it balances out in the end. (I hope.)

Do you suppose you could really handle a hundred women? lol

It would be a sin not to give it my best effort, don't you think, if that's what the Lord wanted.

You're not suggesting I disobey a commandment from God (if such a commandment ever were to come to me), I hope. You should be encouraging me with words like, "It will be nearly impossible, but if that is what the Lord wants, and you are willing to make an honest effort, then I would support you." Besides, other men have handled several times a hundred wives, so I should be able to get at least a "C" maybe even a "B" at handling just a fraction of what they had to deal with.

It seems to me there has grown a deep prejudice against plural marriage that didn't exist in earlier times. I attribute that both to the secular culture, the secular laws, and John Taylor's warning (or was it Brigham Young) that a large portion of the saints would fall away before the second coming. We shouldn't close the door to the possibility of further revelation and to the probability of the restoration of principles that have not been practiced for a hundred years. Which isn't so very long a time anyway.

How many wives do you think God-Elohim has? Certainly more than one. If you do the math, you know he must have many wives.

Edited by GnatStrainer
Add last sentence and question.

It would be a sin not to give it my best effort, don't you think, if that's what the Lord wanted.

You're not suggesting I disobey a commandment from God (if such a commandment ever were to come to me), I hope. You should be encouraging me with words like, "It will be nearly impossible, but if that is what the Lord wants, and you are willing to make an honest effort, then I would support you." Besides, other men have handled several times a hundred wives, so I should be able to get at least a "C" maybe even a "B" at handling just a fraction of what they had to deal with.

It seems to me there has grown a deep prejudice against plural marriage that didn't exist in earlier times. I attribute that both to the secular culture, the secular laws, and John Taylor's warning (or was it Brigham Young) that a large portion of the saints would fall away before the second coming. We shouldn't close the door to the possibility of further revelation and to the probability of the restoration of principles that have not been practiced for a hundred years. Which isn't so very long a time anyway.

How many wives do you think God-Elohim has? Certainly more than one. If you do the math, you know he must have many wives.

I'm not suggesting anything in regard to you personally. I voiced my opinion, which you stated was harsh. We've come a long way, baby, and women do not wish to be humiliated in this manner.

I'm not God...nor am I a goddess...and my answer is no. And that's my final answer!