Tithing: Pre-tax or After tax? Gross v. Net?

nimrod

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12% isn't a bad idea. Afterall, think of all the good the tithing money is doing around the world! There was an editorial in the Salt Lake Tribune not long ago about the Church spending "tithing" dollars on malls, some people just don't understand how The Lord works.

Thank You!

Not to mention financing excursions into sock-puppetry. :rolleyes:

when i first joined the church...i asked that of my bishop......net or gross.....he told me that some do one, others do the second.....but that i would have to decide for myself, in good conscience and with the spirits guidance......i still follow that......my decision is my own...yours should be, too.

Amen to that. I just think that paying a little extra on my gross gives me a better shot at the celestial kingdom or at least not worrying about being burned at the second coming.

The lady I knew who paid 20% was amazing. She was poor, but had an amazing spirit about her.

Why do people bicker and whatnot over the "net or gross" issue on tithing? The way I look at it, I pay my tithing when I get the money. So, yes, I do net, personally. I can't give money that I don't have! I'm sure the Lord understands.

No one should be made to feel badly over which way they choose to pay tithing. If one person feels paying on their gross income is an honest full tithe, good for them. But they shouldn't think that the person who considers a tithe on net income to be an honest full tithe is "less righteous." It's a personal thing.

You are all going to think I am crazy for how I pay my tithing, but here I go:

I am self-employed, so I have gross receipts. From those gross receipts, I subtact my expenses, which becomes my gross income. Then, of course, I pay taxes on that amount, and the reduced amount is my net income.

Well, I pay tithing on my GROSS RECEIPTS, which is quite a bit more than I would pay on my gross income. The Branch Pres. has told me I don't need to do that, but I do because then I am absolutely sure I'm not robbing the Lord.

As has been mentioned, tithing is between you and the Lord. If you have a talk with Him and feel you are paying the right amount, then you probably are!

Thank you, Cougarfan, but I didn't post that for compliments (although compliments are always nice, aren't they?). I just wanted everyone to know that there are so many different ways to pay tithing, and it all just comes down to what you and the Lord decide is best for you and your situation.

Once again, thanks for the kind words!

Yes, all those who believe they are paying a full tithing will receive the appropriate rewards. Any who pay extra due to miscalculations, etc, will be similarily blessed. Those who pay extra to gain extra rewards, I dunno. We are taught not to pay one jot or tittle more. You can not buy your way into Celestial glory. So, I don't think HF will be sitting there with a H&R Block accountant at the gates deciding we only paid 9%, etc.

Amen to that. I just think that paying a little extra on my gross gives me a better shot at the celestial kingdom or at least not worrying about being burned at the second coming.

The lady I knew who paid 20% was amazing. She was poor, but had an amazing spirit about her.

I just read this talk by Oaks entitled "Our Strengths Can become our Downfall."

LDS.org - Liahona Article - Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfall

One of the warnings is concerning the need to sacrifice more than is needful. Oaks says....

"A willingness to sacrifice all we possess in the work of the Lord is surely a strength. In fact, it is a covenant we make in sacred places. But even this strength can bring us down if we fail to confine our sacrifices to those things the Lord and his leaders have asked of us at this time. We should say with Alma, “Why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?” (Alma 29:6). Persons who consider it insufficient to pay their tithes and offerings and to work in the positions to which they have been called can easily be led astray...."

He also addresses excessive giving by saying....

"Another area in which strengths can become our downfall concerns finances. We are commanded to give to the poor. Could the fulfillment of that fundamental Christian obligation be carried to excess? I believe it can. I have seen cases in which persons fulfilled that duty to such an extent that they impoverished their own families by expending resources of property or time that were needed for family members.

Perhaps this excess explains why King Benjamin, who commanded his people to impart of their substance to the poor—“feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally”—also cautioned them to “see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength” (Mosiah 4:26–27). Similarly, a revelation given to the Prophet Joseph Smith when he was translating the Book of Mormon cautioned him, “Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate” (D&C 10:4)."

It's all about balance folks........not about creating spiritual insurance policies.

You are all going to think I am crazy for how I pay my tithing, but here I go:

I am self-employed, so I have gross receipts. From those gross receipts, I subtact my expenses, which becomes my gross income. Then, of course, I pay taxes on that amount, and the reduced amount is my net income.

Well, I pay tithing on my GROSS RECEIPTS, which is quite a bit more than I would pay on my gross income. The Branch Pres. has told me I don't need to do that, but I do because then I am absolutely sure I'm not robbing the Lord.

As has been mentioned, tithing is between you and the Lord. If you have a talk with Him and feel you are paying the right amount, then you probably are!

SueMazza: That sounds so Gross.:D

I appreciate the responses. I hope people didn't think I was Knit-Picking tithing. The real issue I have is that members should not stand at the pulpit and declare that "one MUST pay on pre-tax dollars to be a full tithe payer" or "one must pay on their Gross".

It is not the doctrine. It is opinion.

Now, lets go out there an pay 12%.....or maybe 21%. :confused: J/K

But when Obama taxes us at 91%, we will have to have this discussion again. :eek:

Edited by nimrod

My Stake President gave a talk from the pulpit and said it was 10% of gross income. He made it very clear. So I try and pay at least that, sometimes more as a fire insurance policy. I wonder if he should have been speaking like that from the pulpit or maybe it was o.k.

I guess he was just following the spirit.

My Stake President gave a talk from the pulpit and said it was 10% of gross income. He made it very clear. So I try and pay at least that, sometimes more as a fire insurance policy. I wonder if he should have been speaking like that from the pulpit or maybe it was o.k.

Yep, unforturnately, I believe he has taken too much liberty in that statement. Do a search of statements from the Twelve. I don't think you will find it. It is 10% of our interest, or increase.

Again, I encourage all to give liberally in tithes and offerings.

My friend made an interesting observation....If one pays 10% tithing and the windows of heaven are opened up and he recieves a blessing poured out that there will not be room enough to recieve it.......then what happens if you pay 12%? (See Malachi) His cup continues to runneth over? But he is still left with a full cup in each case. Ponder that one.

Edited by nimrod

When one is in tithing settlement at the end of the year, the bishop asks you if you are a full tithe payer, part time tithe payer, or a non-tithe payer. That's it. He doesn't ask you how much you make and how much you paid in tithing. Your status as a full tithe payer is between you and the Lord.

I've said this many times, but tithing is NOT about money. It is about faith. When we go to the Lord willing to be a full tithe payer, He will consel with you to know what you should pay. Whether that is on gross or net or some other concoction again is between you and the Lord.

Or, he could have been injecting his own interpretation. That happens sometimes, even with Stake Presidents.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, there is no clear statement from the Prophet or the Q12 as to how we are to figure out our increase, that has been left to be between the individual and God.

I have asked this question many times in the past, to bishops, to stake leaders and to general ward members, and the answer has always been the same: it is between you and the Lord. My husband and I choose to err on the side of caution, so we pay tithing on our gross income. I know plenty of people who pay on their net income. Some then pay tithing out of any tax refund they get, some don't. All seem to be comfortable with their choice, as are DH and I with ours.

I would take it to the Lord in prayer.

yes these are all good answers...until the Prophet tells me pay it on my net, I'll keep paying it on my gross plus a little more...it is just like buying a good fire insurance policy in that respect.

Put the "little more" into your fast offering. They encourage us to be generous with this part of it.;)